PDA

View Full Version : stuck in load bit mode

chkorte
02-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Hopefully someone will have a solution to my problem. Yesterday I carved a project with my CW and it carved with no problem. Today I tried to use my CW to route the edges of a board. I loaded the board, pushed route, all, entered the depth and choose the 90 deg V bit and then got a Z axis stall, error E06-0303. I checked the forum and went back to the CW and took the cover off of the back of the Z motor and checked the Z sensor. It was clean but I blew it out anyway and checked all of the wires. I again tried to route the edges. I loaded the board, pushed route, all, entered the depth and choose the 90 deg V bit. The CW measured the board, went into homing, then finding surface and then got stuck in load bit mode until I finally hit stop. I again went back to the forum and searched for solutions. Armed with ideas I went back to the CW. The bit plate is working fine and the bit touches it just like it should. I removed the bit and reseated it. It is in tight (rock chuck). The wires behind the Z truck are tucked up out of the way. I reformatted the card and updated the software. I tried putting the routing operation on the card and running it as a project. Same results. The only other thing on the electrical circuit with the CW are the lights and they’re not on. The CW is clean and my head pressure is between 75 and 80 pounds. Anyone have any other thoughts? I should also mention that my CW just went out of warranty last month and has about 115 hours on it.

Oldtrainerguy
02-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Make sure you have the plastic collar on the bit. What version of software are you using?

chkorte
02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Make sure you have the plastic collar on the bit. What version of software are you using?

I have a metal stop collar on all my bits. I just downloaded version 1.178 today.

atauer
02-01-2011, 04:27 PM
It sounds like that the bit is not touching on the bit plate (little swing arm on the cut motor side). If the bit does not contact that plate, the machine does not know that the bit is inserted, and you will be thrown into a continuous loop.

Do a search on "bit plate" and you should find answers to your problems.

DaveN
02-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Something like that happend to me the other day, the 1/8" bit touched the bit plate but when it tried to find the surface, it stopped short about an inch above it. I recalibrated the Z axis and all is fine now.

chkorte
02-01-2011, 05:50 PM
It sounds like that the bit is not touching on the bit plate (little swing arm on the cut motor side). If the bit does not contact that plate, the machine does not know that the bit is inserted, and you will be thrown into a continuous loop.

Do a search on "bit plate" and you should find answers to your problems.

The bit does touch the bit plate. I did the search on the forum and have tried every thing that I found and still have the problem.

Ike
02-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Silly question, but does it ask you to 1 re-find the bit or 2 continue? If so then you changed the setting of the bit after initial set up. Have you tried another project other then routing the edge? I mean just a simple test to see if it will carve a couple letters? Then what version of the designer are you using?

Oh quick thought is the fence against the board allowing the bit to check the board depth? Also is the trim bit able to go into the horse shoe to find the depth? If not it ask for the bit until it can find the depth.

Ike

chkorte
02-01-2011, 07:23 PM
All it ever says is load bit after going through the homing sequence. I entered the board into the designer program and tried running it as a project and get the same results. My designer is 1.178. I just updated it today. Before that I had 1.177 and I had the same problem. The horseshoe area where it checks depth is open and it does go there during homing.

dbfletcher
02-01-2011, 07:25 PM
All it ever says is load bit after going through the homing sequence. I entered the board into the designer program and tried running it as a project and get the same results. My designer is 1.178. I just updated it today. Before that I had 1.177 and I had the same problem. The horseshoe area where it checks depth is open and it does go there during homing.

How many times is the bit touching the bit plate?

AskBud
02-01-2011, 07:27 PM
If I read correctly, he is using the CW by itself, and selecting the Route option.

My question would be, what depth are you using for the 90 degree bit?
I would also wonder if the spacer sleeve may be too much, or too little, for the Rock Chuck.
AskBud

Ike
02-01-2011, 07:40 PM
If you are routing the edge, I take it as a trim I.E Roman Ogee or cove trim? What I was asking about the depth check is it going through the horse shoe and not hitting the edge of the board?

Ike

chkorte
02-01-2011, 08:42 PM
If you are routing the edge, I take it as a trim I.E Roman Ogee or cove trim? What I was asking about the depth check is it going through the horse shoe and not hitting the edge of the board?

Ike

When it goes to the bit plate it does it 2 times and then goes back to the front. I set the depth to .375. The spacer sleeve is set the same as my 60 deg bit which works just fine. When it does a depth check I do not see it hitting the board.

Ike
02-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Ok my bad I see you said, a 90 degree bit. Without knowing what you are trying to do I am at a lost. Sorry can you share the mpc?

Ike

chkorte
02-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Here is the mpc but it's just a quicky basic I tried to see if it would work when I couldn't get it to work with the key pad.

Ike
02-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Ok another silly question have you done this before? I ask because there is a 45 degree trim bit, that is different then a 90 degree V-groove. So it may not let you use the 90 degree V groove? But if you have done this before I am not sure why it is doing this now?

I would run a simple sign to see if it will carve the letters or repeat the problem. Maybe even try a round over or cove bit to see if it will work? Or change the depth to see if the 90 will work?

Sorry I can't think of anything else to do, hopefully somebody has had this happen and knows the fix?

Ike

chkorte
02-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Ok another silly question have you done this before? I ask because there is a 45 degree trim bit, that is different then a 90 degree V-groove. So it may not let you use the 90 degree V groove? But if you have done this before I am not sure why it is doing this now?

I would run a simple sign to see if it will carve the letters or repeat the problem. Maybe even try a round over or cove bit to see if it will work? Or change the depth to see if the 90 will work?

Sorry I can't think of anything else to do, hopefully somebody has had this happen and knows the fix?

Ike

I have not done this before. I will try running some other projects tomorrow to see if I can get it to work.

Digitalwoodshop
02-02-2011, 01:29 PM
"Load bit" is all about the bit plate.....

In normal operations the bit touches the bit plate twice. Three times and it got a bad reading.... Time to look for trouble like dirty rollers or stuck frozen roller, or dust in belt.

While the bit is going down to touch the bit plate it is monitoring the current OR watching the continuous bit counts... Never found out for sure... But monitoring Current would be my first choice. When the bit touches the bit plate, it increases the current and reverses direction.

Touching the bit plate can increase the current.
The Flex rubbing on the top cover can cause a increase in current.
A frozen Rail Roller Bearing can cause a increase in current.
Dirt on the Rails or Rollers can cause a increase in current.
Dirt in the belt cogs can cause a increase in current.....
Cutting with a COLD machine can cause a increase in current.

A post above mentioned that the bit stopped above the bit plate and never touching it.... That would have resulted in a Re Find, or if both times it was the same as in a wood chip in the belt would cause a AIR CARVE...... Bit above the wood never touching it....

So back to Load BIT.... IF the bit never touches the bit plate then it thinks that you do not have a bit in the machine...
AS the tip of the bit passes the bit plate without hitting it....

This is caused by the bit plate not extending fully.... Due to the wires of the right side cut motor safety switch not in the corner and not letting the head reach the bit plate... OR a dirty bit plate needing lubrication....

Good Luck,

Knowing "WHY" you are getting a error like "load bit" makes troubleshooting easier... "Load Bit" = Missed the Bit Plate.... Easy.

Cut and dry....

AL

Ike
02-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Hopefully someone will have a solution to my problem. Yesterday I carved a project with my CW and it carved with no problem. Today I tried to use my CW to route the edges of a board. I loaded the board, pushed route, all, entered the depth and choose the 90 deg V bit and then got a Z axis stall, error E06-0303. I checked the forum and went back to the CW and took the cover off of the back of the Z motor and checked the Z sensor. It was clean but I blew it out anyway and checked all of the wires. I again tried to route the edges. I loaded the board, pushed route, all, entered the depth and choose the 90 deg V bit. The CW measured the board, went into homing, then finding surface and then got stuck in load bit mode until I finally hit stop. I again went back to the forum and searched for solutions. Armed with ideas I went back to the CW. The bit plate is working fine and the bit touches it just like it should. I removed the bit and reseated it. It is in tight (rock chuck). The wires behind the Z truck are tucked up out of the way. I reformatted the card and updated the software. I tried putting the routing operation on the card and running it as a project. Same results. The only other thing on the electrical circuit with the CW are the lights and they’re not on. The CW is clean and my head pressure is between 75 and 80 pounds. Anyone have any other thoughts? I should also mention that my CW just went out of warranty last month and has about 115 hours on it.

One problem Al he stated it touches the bit plate as it should! But maybe it isn't touching it 3 times? So good point my friend!

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
02-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Is touching 3 times NORMAL .....NEW..... ? Normally 2 touch and 3 touch = something wrong with machine.....?

And I am talking 2 times at the bit plate.... I believe it touches 3 times at the board....

AL

Ike
02-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Is touching 3 times NORMAL .....NEW..... ? Normally 2 touch and 3 touch = something wrong with machine.....?

And I am talking 2 times at the bit plate.... I believe it touches 3 times at the board....

AL

Sorry I misread it, I would have swore you said 3 times and I didn't really think about it! I stop watching the setup unless it doesn't work! Anyway I wanted to point out chkorte said it was finding the bit plate correctly. So sorry for my bad, I wasn't saying his was touching the plate 3 times!

So I don't think it is a finding the bit issue, I suggested he try another project to see if the problem is still there or just with this one. I have never use a 90 v-grove for a 45 degree chamfer edge, so I was thinking the CW will not allow you to use a 90 degree bit?

Ike

chkorte
02-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Today I went out determined to fix the problem. I started out just trying to route the board. Thought maybe after a good nights rest the CW would be more co-operative. It wasn’t. Then I downloaded a simple pattern to carve with a 1/16” carving bit and loaded it and the CW went into its’ normal checks and started the carve. OK, now I take a closer look at the 90 deg bit. My 60 deg bit worked fine and I compared the 90 deg bit to it and it was just a little shorter. I moved the stop collar up about 3/16” and tried again. The CW went into its’ normal checks and started to route. It routed all 4 edges with no problem. Then I put in the board I originally wanted to route and pushed the route button and the CW went into its’ normal checks and got stuck in load bit loop. I checked the bit and the stop collar had slid down so I put 3 washers on the bit shaft and no more problem. So even though the bit was touching the bit plate it wasn’t touching it enough to register. I learn something new about this machine every time I use it. GO PACK!!!!

Ike
02-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Today I went out determined to fix the problem. I started out just trying to route the board. Thought maybe after a good nights rest the CW would be more co-operative. It wasn’t. Then I downloaded a simple pattern to carve with a 1/16” carving bit and loaded it and the CW went into its’ normal checks and started the carve. OK, now I take a closer look at the 90 deg bit. My 60 deg bit worked fine and I compared the 90 deg bit to it and it was just a little shorter. I moved the stop collar up about 3/16” and tried again. The CW went into its’ normal checks and started to route. It routed all 4 edges with no problem. Then I put in the board I originally wanted to route and pushed the route button and the CW went into its’ normal checks and got stuck in load bit loop. I checked the bit and the stop collar had slid down so I put 3 washers on the bit shaft and no more problem. So even though the bit was touching the bit plate it wasn’t touching it enough to register. I learn something new about this machine every time I use it. GO PACK!!!!

AH Man Al was right!!! Dang it, well you are way ahead now Chief! I should get a half a point I did think it had to do something with the bit!

Ike

Dan-Woodman
02-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Ike
I hope you don't use that 45 deg. bit with a bearing like is pictured in post #20. If you want a 45 deg. chamfered edge just use a 90 deg. v- bit centered on the edge of the board.
later Daniel

Ike
02-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Ike
I hope you don't use that 45 deg. bit with a bearing like is pictured in post #20. If you want a 45 deg. chamfered edge just use a 90 deg. v- bit centered on the edge of the board.
later Daniel
Daniel I don't use my CW to trim a board, so yes I would use a chamfer bit and never a V groove! I use that bit for an example and there are other chamfer bits without bearings that can be used with the CW.

Ike

chkorte
02-02-2011, 07:44 PM
The 90 deg V that I use is from CW. It centers on the edge of the board and gives a nice 45 deg chamfer.

Ike
02-02-2011, 09:22 PM
The 90 deg V that I use is from CW. It centers on the edge of the board and gives a nice 45 deg chamfer.
chkorte, I am glad you figured it out and maybe I will try a 90 one day! I do the trim by hand because I have a sign shop and hand rout most of my signs. So I have several routers with different bits, so I hand rout the trims. Without a bearing it would be really difficult to make a chamfer trim by hand!

Ike

dbfletcher
02-02-2011, 09:58 PM
but I see no reason you can't use a trim bit with a bearing in the CW?

I dont think it would work. They really need to be plungable becuase even on edge route functions it would try to center the bit shaft on the edge, the bearing would mess everything up I think. But if you want to try it on YOUR machine... be my guest! :)

chkorte
02-02-2011, 10:59 PM
chkorte, I am glad you figured it out and maybe I will try a 90 one day! I do the trim by hand because I have a sign shop and hand rout most of my signs. So I have several routers with different bits, so I hand rout the trims. Without a bearing it would be really difficult to make a chamfer trim by hand!

Ike

I have a couple of bits that I took out of my regular bit set that had bearings on. I removed the bearings and ground down the end where the bearing mounts and they work just fine in the CW. I've used a 3/8" trim bit to square the edges and the 90 deg vector bit to put on the 45 deg chamfer. (th 90 deg vecter bit is a CW bit) I had some trouble using the 3/8" trim bit to square the ends. It trimmed the wood just fine but clipped the area where the CW touches to get depth in the area by that horseshoe cutout. I no longer use it to square the ends but it works well on the edges. I think as long as the bit matches the ones in the CW library memory they will work. One thing I would cautious about is when doing edge routing that you make sure the cut you're making with the bit is not deep enough that it could make contact with the metal guides that the wood rides against to keep it square on the table. You cut to deep and those carbide bits WILL chew up the metal guides!