PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just love the reactions?

Jonny
01-31-2011, 08:54 AM
It's neat when someone walks into the house and sees a few random carvings - plaques, decorative shelves, or even just doodles - they stare in awe and look at you like you're some kind of fire-breathing wood-sculpting wizard. Even when you explain the software and show them the machine, they continue to insist that you have incredible skill, not understanding that a few mouse clicks and some sandpaper can make anyone look fairly pro.

Good stuff.

Smoken D
01-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Like the story, Behind every successful man is his woman. In this story, behind every successful woodworker is good machinery!:)

Old Salt
01-31-2011, 12:19 PM
I get the comment from some people "you have to much time on your hands" .
I think everyone gets 24 hr. a day.

CarverJerry
01-31-2011, 12:42 PM
Yeah I get the same thing Jonny, and then they want you to build them this special project and such that has nothing to do with a carvewright. And when you try to explain to them that you're not a cabinet maker or that you don't build furniture they just look at you with that look that you're pulling their leg.

CJ

dbfletcher
01-31-2011, 01:09 PM
And NEVER make the mistake of showing them LG's work.... I have dont that on a few occasions and then you get hounded with.. will you make me a guitar like that?? Then you have to spend the next three hours explaining that althought LG uses the same machine as I do (and the rest of us)... the machine is only the first step. It does the rough work... I dont possess the artistry, skill, and talent to even attempt somthing like that. I'll stick to towel holder! (note to Ike.... if I have misused the apostrophy with LG... I apoligize!)

Jonny
01-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Yeah I get the same thing Jonny, and then they want you to build them this special project and such that has nothing to do with a carvewright. And when you try to explain to them that you're not a cabinet maker or that you don't build furniture they just look at you with that look that you're pulling their leg.

CJ

I've had that happen a couple of times so far. Too funny.

Ike
01-31-2011, 01:23 PM
And NEVER make the mistake of showing them LG's work.... I have dont that on a few occasions and then you get hounded with.. will you make me a guitar like that?? Then you have to spend the next three hours explaining that althought LG uses the same machine as I do (and the rest of us)... the machine is only the first step. It does the rough work... I dont possess the artistry, skill, and talent to even attempt somthing like that. I'll stick to towel holder! (note to Ike.... if I have misused the apostrophy with LG... I apoligize!)

Doug do you see me sticking my tongue at you!! Yes it is correct it shows it is or if you like to see an apostrophe used as a contraction "it's"... shows possession I.E. LG's work!

Of course you missed a few "contractions! Oh and some spelling too!!

One thing I love is I mostly hand rout my signs. When customers tell me they can't tell the difference between the CW carved and the hand routed, well my head swells a little more!

Ike

(Note to all I am messing with Doug in good humor and hope it is received in the same manner(manor)!)

Jonny
01-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Oh and some spelling too!!...

...Note to all I am messing with Doug in good humor and hope it is received in the same manor!

"manner"

Sorry Ike you were wide open *grin*

Ike
01-31-2011, 01:41 PM
"manner"

Lol well played! Opps......................

dbfletcher
01-31-2011, 01:41 PM
"manner"

Man... it's like High School English all over again. I would have said College English, but to be honest, most of my college days are nothing but a drunken haze.

atauer
01-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Yep. I feel ya on this one Jonny.

I made a small plaque for my wife last year, for her desk at work.

BIG MISTAKE!!!!

Naturally, everyone loved it, including a lot of the patients that come into the doctor's office that she works for. Within two days, I probably had at least 100 requests for signs and stuff like that.

Unfortunately, I declined, as I only did that one for fun, and to familiarize myself with a new software function/feature. Everyone was disappointed, but with everything that I already have going on, there would have been no way for me to make time to do them...

Ike
01-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Man... it's like High School English all over again. I would have said College English, but to be honest, most of my college days are nothing but a drunken haze.

Lol sorry English, Math and History were my favorite subjects! I posted the use of an apostrophe to help others in sign making it is really important to know the basics! You would be surprised how many people don't know or care! Anyway don't forget the apple for the teacher!

Ike

Frederick_P
01-31-2011, 02:30 PM
I think I'll keep the CW machine a secret and tell them that I carved the work with an old whittling knife my Grampa gave me and if they want something like that, it will take some time and cost a fortune. But for them only... special deal!

Ike
01-31-2011, 10:54 PM
I think I'll keep the CW machine a secret and tell them that I carved the work with an old whittling knife my Grampa gave me and if they want something like that, it will take some time and cost a fortune. But for them only... special deal!

Fredrick, that is the best answer yet!

Ike

Capt Bruce
02-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Gang,
If anyone asks us to start diagramming sentences here then I'm going to appeal to the Moderators to shut down this thread . . .
Lord but I hated that drill in English. Thank goodness for built-in Spellchecking and thanks for a few chuckles this week.