PDA

View Full Version : Router bits...

Ed
01-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Hello everyone. I'm looking to resource the cutting bits where I can order online or call a toll free number (doesn't happen at Carvewright yet). I'm especially looking to find the 1/16" carving bit (BCR062) and the cutting bit (BCT125), but a resource for any/all of the bits would be nice until Carvewright has a chance to get their after-market product support running properly. (BTW, I have tried to order by email; they don't respond). Thanks.

linehook
01-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Ed,

I called Sears today to talk with them about the machine in the course of our conversation the salesman told me that the bits that they sell will work in the machine. You might want to go to Sears and see their bit selection to see if they have the bit that you need.

Ed
01-15-2007, 07:13 AM
Hi - thanks for the reply but I did go to 3 large Sears stores and they had scarce supplies of plunge bits, and nothing 1/16" was even a possibility - a combination of the large home retailers and the local hardware stores worked. A place called "precisebits.com" is going to make a bit very similar to the 1/16" tapered bit soon and all the other bits are sort of common or very common. The 1/16" tapered bit is a good design structurally and it's relatively wobble-free given it's small diameter. Amana makes a regular 1/16" bit, but for reasons just mentioned I shy away from it.

lex227
01-18-2007, 01:22 AM
How do you tell if a router bit is a "plunge" bit?

How do you tell if a bit is compatible with the the CW specifications?

Bill
01-18-2007, 05:11 AM
I called CW and ordered my bits yesterday they are out of stock but expect them in Thursday or Friday.

I don't believe ( Sears ) stocks the bits at this time but I understand they will shortly.

menewfy
01-18-2007, 07:34 AM
plungeable bits are the ones that do not have bearings on the top which allows them to dive rightinto the board, the ones with bearings can not.

the bearing is the round part on the very top so if you are looking for them becareful cause i have not found a single one in my area that will work properly.

pkunk
01-18-2007, 08:58 AM
plungeable bits are the ones that do not have bearings on the top which allows them to dive rightinto the board, the ones with bearings can not.

the bearing is the round part on the very top so if you are looking for them becareful cause i have not found a single one in my area that will work properly.
There's more to it than that! :!: To start with, the Carvewright bits have flats on the shank for the set screws in the quick change holder to register into.
Plunge bits have cutting tips on the end of the bit, not just on the sides of the shank. Believe me, the Carvewright bits are priced quite nicely and are specifically made for the machine.

menewfy
01-18-2007, 09:02 AM
i forgot about the adapter good point sir.

BobHill
01-18-2007, 09:36 AM
I have the full set of bits from CarveWright, PKunk, and the only bits with the flats ground in them are the two bits that come with the machine (carving 1/16" and cutting 1/8"). All other bits both 1/4" and 1/2" shank bits have no flats.

Bob

pkunk
01-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I'll have to take your word for that Bob. I haven't removed any of the others from their adapters. :D So, what keeps say, the V-bits from spinning in the adapter? Just the tightness of the setscrews?

Jon Jantz
01-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Pkunk, I read somewhere about putting Loctite on the bit when putting it in the adapter... maybe that is to prevent spin outage.

BobHill
01-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Yup, Pkunk, and Jon, besides putting locktit on the threads you do have to be sure that the shank is tightly bound to the quick release. Locktit is only good on the threads and doesn't bind the shank to the housing.

Bob

swhitney
01-18-2007, 02:16 PM
I am curious to know specifically what items are included in the CW0024 full bit set.

Thanx!!

BobHill
01-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure exactly what that particular set of bits would be or how many it has in it, but check Bit Selection in Designer to see the bits they have designed for. There are 14 bits there, and I have at least that number, but I also have duplicates of some also.

Bob

Aaron B
01-19-2007, 06:36 AM
Has anyone used other bits besides Carvewright bits? I did order the CW bits but I need a 3/8 ball nose and they don't have one they only have 1/2 and 1/4.

I know they say they would prefer you to only use their bits because theirs are made to fit the collets and other manufacturers shafts may vary slightly. Wanted to see if anyone has used non-CW bits and not had any problems.

BobHill
01-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Aaron, although I've only used the CarveWright bits to this time (as I have them), I don't see why other manufacturers' bits wouldn't work as long as the shanks fit the quick release adaptor snug and tight enough with the machine screws (and locktite). Question? What will a 3/8" bit do that a 1/4" bit won't?

Bob

Aaron B
01-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Aaron, although I've only used the CarveWright bits to this time (as I have them), I don't see why other manufacturers' bits wouldn't work as long as the shanks fit the quick release adaptor snug and tight enough with the machine screws (and locktite). Question? What will a 3/8" bit do that a 1/4" bit won't?

Bob

It for a "channel" so to speak, where the bottom is rounded, like the pictures in the Design Software show for the 1/2 & 1/4 Ball Nose. So if I used a 1/4" bit it would have multiple groves at the bottom instead of one. Hope that makes sense.

BobHill
01-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Aaron,

How about making the bottom of the channel a carving, but do the flat edges (to a shallower depth) by vector cutting them? Perhaps more strokes but if you can't fine the right bit to use, it can be done with the ones you have and come with the machine using the 1/16" carving bit and the 1/8" cutting bit.

Bob

Aaron B
01-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Aaron,

How about making the bottom of the channel a carving, but do the flat edges (to a shallower depth) by vector cutting them? Perhaps more strokes but if you can't fine the right bit to use, it can be done with the ones you have and come with the machine using the 1/16" carving bit and the 1/8" cutting bit.

Bob

The set did come with a 3/8" straight bit so that could be used the the sides etc, but I am not sure I can do the round bottom like you talk about using vector. Can that be done in Designer?

BobHill
01-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Aaron,

Well, yes, you can do it in Designer; at least you can in my version 1.115. Let's see if this attachment will be something that would work for you. I'll make a trench and at the bottom give it an inverted lateral dome using surface option.

Board is 12" x 6" x 1/2" and the trench is 5" x 0.375 (3/8") and depth of 1/4". I made the rectangle, gave it an inverted vertical dome Surface and this is what I get. I did the rectangle just off the end of the wood to show the outline of the trench.

And if you don't have the Surface option of vertical dome, I believe you can use the mpc file I've attached on your Designer still, I think, but I'm not sure of that. It should carve like that if your Designer will show it like I made it, though.

I did NOT carve this, just designed it ... just to be clear, but it should carve as it's designed.

Bob

swhitney
01-21-2007, 12:05 AM
I am curious to know specifically what items are included in the CW0024 full bit set.

Thanx!!

I emailed CW concerning the CW0024 & Deidre w/ CW replied with the following:

"The full bit set comes with the 11 bits with the yellow heads as
shown on the website, their corresponding adapters, and the bit box. The
bit adjustment tool comes separate and the carving and cutting bits
come with your machine."

The '11 bits with the yellow heads' in which she referred to are found at:
http://www.carvewright.com/pricing.html

I hope this helps.

BC

THANK YOU SO MUCH.... now I know what it is I wish to order. Wouldn't it be easier for the CW folks to include this info on the price sheet???? I would have ordered too many bit adapters!!

I have been working with the design software whilst I await delivery of the magic device, and am getting ready for the "accessory" order. Your info makes clear what it is I want/need/desire/crave/must have.

May your grain never split...

BenCraig
01-21-2007, 12:22 AM

Thanx!!
I emailed CW concerning the CW0024 & Deidre w/ CW replied with the following:

"The full bit set comes with the 11 bits with the yellow heads as
shown on the website, their corresponding adapters, and the bit box. The
bit adjustment tool comes separate and the carving and cutting bits
come with your machine."

The '11 bits with the yellow heads' in which she referred to are found at:
http://www.carvewright.com/pricing.html

I hope this helps.

BC