PDA

View Full Version : The use of an apostrophe

Ike
01-30-2011, 06:21 PM
I have been making signs since I was 17, wow that has been over 30 years ago! One of the first few things I was taught was double check and triple check your spelling and the use of an apostrophe! I run into this quite often a customer wanting an apostrophe after their name before the "S"

I.E. The Smith's, this is grammatically incorrect! This is why, an apostrophe is used to show possession or omission of a letter. When making a sign with a last name it shows pluralization unless the object of ownership is included on the sign. I.E. The Smith's Cabin.

As forth to omission of a letter pertaining to a sign is a last name ending with a "S" or "Z" I.E. The Williams' or The Sanchez',

I get this all the time, Smith with 's implies ownership of the house and more then one person! Sorry that is incorrect! I.E.

Possession:
Use an apostrophe to indicate possession, meaning to indicate to whom an object belongs. For example-
"That is Billy's bike."
"This is Sarah's lunch."
A trick that helps me to remember the correct usage of an apostrophe is to think of it as an arrow. The arrow must be added into the sentence to point at the person to whom the object belongs. The apostrophe curves up and over to the left in order to point to Sarah. This answers the question, "to whom does this lunch belong?" The apostrophe indicates that the lunch belongs to Sarah.

Not for plurality:
Do not use an apostrophe to indicate that there is more than one of something. An apostrophe does not indicate plurality.
I once saw a sign on the side of the road that read, "Puppy's for sale." The correct format would be, "Puppies for sale," as I am quite certain the writer intended to indicate that there was more than one puppy available to a good home.

I don't want to come off as Mr. Know it all! I wanted to share this to help others. I tell my customers I will add the apostrophe, if they agree to tell others they wanted me to make the sign grammatically incorrect!

Again I hope I helped, because if you display your work with misspelled words or improper grammar it reflects on you!

Ike

Capt Bruce
01-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Well stated Ike. One of my pet peeves when asked to make a sign like that. Do it right or don't do it. When I explain it like you have here, Folks come around most of the time. Thanks for sharing this.

liquidguitars
01-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks Ike,

good to know!!!

Ike
01-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Well stated Ike. One of my pet peeves when asked to make a sign like that. Do it right or don't do it. When I explain it like you have here, Folks come around most of the time. Thanks for sharing this.
Thanks LG and Capt. Bruce, as you see it is one my pet peeves too!

Ike

cestout
09-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Mine is someone waiting on their sign to be finished when they should be waiting for their sign to be finished.
Clint

interloper
09-25-2012, 01:17 PM
There are plural possessives however IE: Three of the four dogs' eyes are blue.
or: Two consecutive seasons' endless rain.
And compound plural possessives. IE: Rick and Jane Smith's house.
Or if Rick and Jane have their own houses: Rick's and Jane's houses.

Sometimes it does get a little complex or confusing, even to those whom are grammatically astute.

They're my pet pevee's too (I kid)