PDA

View Full Version : Power Fluctuation! Tried all of the usual fixes.

Split
01-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Hey everyone. I've owned my machine for about 8 months, haven't had any serious issues with it until now. It's all original parts AFAIK, no rock chuck or rubber belts or any of that. I know you'll all recommend that at some point (I read these forums quite a bit) but I simply do not have the cash to put into the machine right now.

In the past, my only issues have been in lining up cuts that you flip over inside a jig (always get shifted just slightly) and combination carves/cuts getting shifted over (carve text in, then cut the box around it shifted over, etc).

Currently however, it has been much worse. For the past two weeks or so, I've been getting "Power Fluctuation" error. I've searched through these forums a bunch, and DigitalWoodshop's posts and website and posts on the other forum, and tried the usual. The CW is on its own circuit, nothing else on it, and it is a stable circuit.

I've opened the body and taken out the power supply, resoldered the usual coils, capacitors and everything. It still turns on and measures etc, but the first test spin of a bit gives the error. It has 50-60 hours of cutting time without this error, and the whole machine is mounted to its table through vibration-damping pads, and the table is on vibration damping pads to the floor.

Is there something I'm missing or should I just look for a new power supply? How much $$ will that run me and how much $$ could I get for a machine in this condition?

Jonny
01-30-2011, 05:52 PM
I had the same error, sometimes once every other carve and it got worse and worse until I'd get it 10 seconds into a carve and every time the bit touched wood thereafter. Lots of time on the phone with LHR and they finally sent me a new power supply - this was about 2 months ago, and it was a redesigned one that the tech said was just now starting to ship. It is supposed to clear up some of the shortcomings of the previous design - looks quite different, and fixed my problem.

Not sure what the cost is, as mine was under warranty still.

Digitalwoodshop
01-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Split you went a little fast for me.... It still turns on and measures etc, but the first test spin of a bit gives the error.

So if I understand you correct, it measures the board but when you install the bit and press enter then the cut motor starts for a second then the machine gives you an error.... So the Cut Motor did not turn on???

IF so.... The C1 Capacitor on the X Termination Board under the machine is broken.... Or the Q1 Transistor is loose....

OR... The right cover Switch is loose or wires on switch are loose....

OR... The plugs to the Cut Motor wires may be loose or need re crimping...

You have had see the pictures as they were posted many times....

Let us know....

AL

Split
01-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Oh no, it spins. Rarely, it even gets past that first spin, "homes" and calibrates with the pop-out board and starts to cut. But once it starts spinning again, and starts moving down along the z-axis towards the board, it doesn't last more than a couple seconds before giving the power fluctuation error. I've seen the pictures, I've checked and double checked (by which I mean desoldered and re-soldered) the transistor, the capacitor, the coils.

Digitalwoodshop
01-30-2011, 11:24 PM
OK... Now I understand..... Remember that L2 coil will break below the surface.... I would heat the tail on the bottom of L2 watching for it to fall out....

OR order another power supply....

SO it is 90% in my opinion that the L2 is giving you the problem..... Anyone near you to swap the board....?

It's the vibration that causes the LOLLY POP of the coil to vibrate.... Another trick.... Since the L2 Coil is just a coil of wire around a core.... You could solder a SHORT CIRCUIT WIRE between the 2 lugs of the L2 Coil. The reason there is a L2 Coil is for Noise Reduction on the Power Supply Output Wire. Noise on the DC Power Lead passes through the coil like a Amusement Park Roller Coaster Ride.... The AC Noise on the DC line cancels itself out in the coil. SO... A VERY SHORT TEST with the L2 Shorted would give you the answer.... When removing the short the broken off lead may come with the jumper....

Make sure you remove the jumper when done.....

AL

Split
02-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Alright, I finally got some time to work on this again. I (once again) started heating the coil legs, the coil never broke off. So I kept going. I removed the entire coil, the legs are fine. Resoldered it all back together, stuck it in, same issue.

Recommendations?

DaveN
02-21-2011, 07:50 AM
The same thing happend to me about a month ago, all I did to fix it was to reformat the card and the error went away.

I just wanted to add that I checked my coil as well and found that there was a bunch of white stufff surrounding everything, my guess its for the vibration issue.

PCW
02-21-2011, 08:52 AM
The same thing happend to me about a month ago, all I did to fix it was to reformat the card and the error went away.

I just wanted to add that I checked my coil as well and found that there was a bunch of white stufff surrounding everything, my guess its for the vibration issue.

You must have a newer version of the power supply. Looks a little different than mine.

badger2424
02-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Yea PCW, thats the newer power supply, I had to get one also and thats the kind they sent me. The FFC cable is another place you could check because of how easy it is to change, those cables are easily bent and break inline. But I think the other post are right on. I had to change my power supply and the L2 was fine but the new one fixed my problem.

Digitalwoodshop
02-21-2011, 06:30 PM
WOW... A new Power Supply..... That is the first I have seen of it..... If anyone ever has the new one go bad, I would like to purchase it for the Core Charge plus Shipping.... Same with Cut Motors.... Parts is Parts....

AL

Icutone2
02-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Did you check the wire connectors on the power switch? Mine were loose and did the same thing to me.
Lee

badger2424
02-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Al you're a nut, is there anything you can't fix. By the way, after the last fix you helped me with, I've been carving from dusk till dawn trying to meet the March 1 deadline. Carvings all done, now early morning and late night painting. Appreciate all your help.

Digitalwoodshop
02-26-2011, 01:16 AM
GOOD JOB !!!! I learned MUCH from the BETA Testers HERE... And "THE BARD" Checked in just Yesterday on my Forum Visitor Page HERE.... "THE BARD" was the GO TO GUY here in 2007.... He Worked for LHR AND Spent a lot of time helping many like ME learn the machine.... He left after about a Year and this is the First I have heard from him..... HE WAS the SUPPER TECH.... Our "Inside MAN".... And a All Around GREAT GUY..... We talked many times in that first year....

I just finished tonight at 2 AM... All Tags done... Photos tomorrow if the weather permits... ICE.... And 5 Flat Rate Boxes...

I protected my Thumbs spinning on 535 split rings and clips today with.... wait for it..... WITH MASKING TAPE..... What a Hoot....

AL