PDA

View Full Version : Question on board length measring - using a sled

keninar
01-30-2011, 04:41 PM
G’day, All:

New carver here – with a question on the mechanics regarding how the CW measures board length – when using a sled.

In the effort of clarity, allow me to state my query, and then follow with the background.

Query: “How does the CW measure board length, i.e. where is the sensor located?”

(And the real question: Given the info presented herein - What am I missing??!!)

I have constructed two sleds prior – with significant help from these forums –Thank You – with great success. Carvings proceeded without a hitch once I became educated to the finer points of masking tape application.

So I decided to try a test carving on a smaller piece of cherry, one that would require the manufacture of a sled to “keep it under the rollers.” Constructed said sled, as constructed before, and thought I was all set. I then took SWMBO to the shop, to witness how well “her” Christmas present was performing.

Loaded the sled, selected the project and the CW began its homing and measuring routines. I selected “stay under the rollers” and after the obligatory measuring runs, the CW display indicated a board length of 11.30”/18.25; then asking if I wanted to scale the project. Realize scaling is a no-no, but could not reconcile the difference in length. (Actual sled length is 18.25”, CW was reading only 11.3”. Have not had a problem with calibration – machine measurements have been spot-on with real-world measurements.)

I aborted the project, removed the sled and examined it for something that could “fool” the CW at or about the 11.30 mark. Nothing was apparent to the un-trained eye (although I confess limited knowledge on exactly what to look for. I added tape in the center (left to right) of the sled and retried. Same result. At this point, SWMBO rolled her eyes and retreated back to the house.

While she is quite versed in telling me what I’ve done wrong (and she is usually right!) she could offer no input here. So I am throwing myself at the mercy of the court – and pleading my case with those who are “educated in such things.”

I have attached 2 photos: 1) sled front with approximate measurements; 2) sled back; to assist in the description of my challenge.

Any thoughts?

quarrydesigns
01-30-2011, 04:59 PM
The 11.30"is the length of your pattern board, the machine is measuring you actual board correctly at 18.25 which does not allow the 7" total extra to stay under the rollers (11.3 + 7 = 18.3) therefore it wants to scale.

If your actually carvings dont go to the end of the pattern board, it should carve ok by selecting NO to stay under rollers and Center on Board.

Otherwise go back into designer and shorten you pattern board to 11.25 or less to use the 18.25 sled.

And to answer your question about measurment, the machine uses a combination of the optical sensor on the bottom of the z truck and the compression roller sensors to locate the ends of the board then measures the length using the brass roller.

Daniel Smith

keninar
01-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks, Daniel!

In anticipation of a request for further information, I went back into Designer to make sure the length was correct there - and it was not.

Once I realized that - all the rest makes sense. I also understand the approach you outlined above - but I'll re-upload the file with the correct dimensions.

Once again - it's nice to have a place to go where "Those that know are Willing to Share!"

thanks!

Ken