PDA

View Full Version : Return Air Vent Decorative Cover

quarrydesigns
01-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Have a request for a decorative cover for a 24 x30 return air vent. Would like to include a large area in the middle for an initial.

Has anyone done anything like this or willing to share thoughts, pictures.

Something like this...41746

Daniel Smith

AskBud
02-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Have a request for a decorative cover for a 24 x30 return air vent. Would like to include a large area in the middle for an initial.

Has anyone done anything like this or willing to share thoughts, pictures.

Something like this...41746

Daniel Smith
Sorry that no one has responded sooner.
As you know, the CW can only handle 14.5" widths of stock. Therefore, you will need to use a design that can be split in to workable parts.

My suggestion would be the consider making the center/letter section the size you need (say, 24x12), and then design your one side (24x10) and mirror it to get the pieces you wish. The reason for the sides to be slightly wide, is to allow the top & bottom to be trimmed to accomplish the 30" overall size. All you need to do is avoid placing your scrolling too close to the center portion of the side project.
The choice of scrolling is up to you. You will/should end up with at least 3 MPCs to complete the project.
AskBud

AskBud
02-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Just playing around to see that I am on track with your question.
It takes time, and a few choice words and retries, but it can be designed.
AskBud

quarrydesigns
02-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks.. Ive been working a little on some ideals I am a little concerned about keeping the piece thin enought so it doesnt stick out too far from the wall and still be strong enought to survive grandkids. Thinking it may need to be more of a frame / panel construction with 3 carved panels and a solid frame.

AskBud
02-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks.. Ive been working a little on some ideals I am a little concerned about keeping the piece thin enough so it doesn't stick out too far from the wall and still be strong enough to survive grandkids. Thinking it may need to be more of a frame / panel construction with 3 carved panels and a solid frame.
I would keep the original grate in place and glue this on top of it, as a possible solution. Or, if you wish, get a piece of sheet metal grid and back it with that.

You could also cut the project out of 1/4 or 3/8, no thicker than .375, and use the thinner 1/16' cutting bit. That tiny "cutting" bit has a limit of .375. If you wanted you could then make more, smaller, sections rather than just 3 panels. Remember that stock thinner than 1/2" will need to be placed on a sled, and you reply to the machine to cut the project (not the board) when prompted.
AskBud