PDA

View Full Version : Computer Death.... I'm back... How to move .ptn's ?

Digitalwoodshop
01-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Last night I had a Computer Death... Boots to recovery then flashing lights and die....

SO I am typing this on my backup laptop and thankfully I had my USB Drive almost up to date so I did not loose too much stuff...

Had to load the full 1.177 Designer, still had a 30 day copy on here...

So the process was pretty painless getting this computer registered with Designer and LHR. My License Files of patterns asked to transfer to this computer.

Opening Designer I called up a old project then looked at my pattern favorites... But it was empty... Not even the licensed patterns....? I do see them in my Carvewright folder that is where I would save them before transferring them to Designer. I see I can move them one at a time to my favorite. Is there a way to move them as a batch?

AL

RMarkey
01-31-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm not exactly sure about this, but you may be able to simply move your favorites.mpn file from your old to your new computer, overwriting the new one. Then follow up with a license refresh.

Jonny
01-31-2011, 09:36 AM
I've never tested this, but I think your favorites that you import into the software are stored in favorites.mpn, located in your users folder.

For windows 7 the path is c:/users/{username}/CarveWright/favorites.mpn

If this works, post here so I know I'm backing up the right file :confused:

chebytrk
01-31-2011, 09:58 AM
That's correct. The favorites.mpn is located in the Carvewright folder. Al, I had the same "Blue screen of death" on my desktop and had to reload Windows 7 back on it. In my case I still had a windows.old that was created so I still had stuff that was saved. I went there and found my old Carvewright folder and found the favorites.mpn and after I re-installed the Designer SW to my desktop, I just copied over the newly created favorites.mpn with the old one that I had. I worked fine for me. The only problem I have now is when I open the library to see my saved ptns I can't see them on the window at the bottom like I could before. I just have to put them on the board to look at them better. Don't know why this has happened. Maybe someone might have a suggestion to fix that?

Digitalwoodshop
01-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Well thank you everyone for the input....

I had my .mpc's in a directory under my documents so that was backed up on my USB Hard Drive and when I dumped MY Documents from backup to this computer I did not loose a thing.

Where my problem is now is that my Pattern Directory is empty except for the basic free stuff. The Favorite in the patterns is empty... I had saved every pattern download in another file in MY Documents so they are all there. I did a import and selected a licensed pattern and downloaded it to my pattern favorite. I now have one pattern in that directory and the license is GOOD.

So the question... Do I need to import each pattern or can I move it as a group?

AL

Old Salt
01-31-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't know but I lost mine the same way and have been loading them back when used , was time to clean house anyway.
I can know set up the way I want it to be.

Jonny
01-31-2011, 01:21 PM
So the question... Do I need to import each pattern or can I move it as a group?

I think if you just double-click on the favorites.mpn file it'll auto-populate. If that don't work, just copy the file from the old drive to the new one (replacing the existing one in the new install location) in the same directory with the software closed, and that'll work.

cnsranch
01-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Al -

Designer looks for the Favorites file here:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\CarveWright

Drag your Favorites.mpn file there, you'll be golden.

Don't confuse it with the Basic.mpn file - it's here:

C:\Program Files\CarveWright\data