PDA

View Full Version : Cutting bit Y-Axis stall

AskBud
01-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Cutting bit Y-Axis stall - 1/28/2011
Here is some insight that may shorten your trouble setting process resolving a Z-Axis Stall while using the 1/8" cutting bit, and other bits as well.

I had a stall while doing the final cut-out on a project, made of Cherry, last night. Today I set about finding the problem.

First, I did not want to change or loosen anything on the machine, without knowing why I needed to do it. So, here are my steps, after I made sure the rails and bearings were clean and lubed.

1) I designed two narrow rectangles, about 1x9, going across a 12" scrap, cherry, board.
2) On the first on I assigned a cut-out, with a Max-pass-depth of .300.
3) On the second I assigned a cut-out, with no Max-pass-depth.
4) I ran the test using the same 1/8 cutting bit, as I wanted to see the results of both paths.
5) The first path, with the Max-pass-depth, ran fine. The second path failed part way through.
6) I revised my project to make both paths full depth, without any Max-pass-depth assigned. I wanted to have 2 runs at full depth!
7) I next used a brand new 1/8 cutting bit, and ran the revised test. It ran fine on both rectangles.

The conclusion of my test reveals that Y-Axis Stalls may well be due to your 1/8 cutting bit being too dull for the pressure of the cutting of the Y-Axis, at full depth (at least at the current preset rate of travel, and/or the hardness of your stock).

This test may work on other bit stall as well.

The "Wish List" thread has a request/suggestion to allow us to control the rate of travel on all bit usage, other than the carving bit as it has an option for Bit optimization.

Knowing the above, it is wise to first change to a fresh bit when you encounter a Y-Axis Stall and see if that resolves your issue. if you don't have a new bit, assign a Max-pass-depth.

Last Note:
If the stall is not resolved, it is time to begin in depth analysis work.
AskBud

tbroeski
01-31-2011, 06:11 AM
After 18 hours run on a 20 hour project, I got a Y axis stall. There was no forward movement and the bit stayed in the same place for some time before the error. Can too great of a down pressure on rollers cause this?

AskBud
01-31-2011, 07:33 AM
After 18 hours run on a 20 hour project, I got a Y axis stall. There was no forward movement and the bit stayed in the same place for some time before the error. Can too great of a down pressure on rollers cause this?The Y-Axis is across the board (to and from the keyboard), X-Axis is the length of the board, Z-Axis is the up & down movement.

A Y-Axis stall should have no problem caused by the pressure rollers.
AskBud