PDA

View Full Version : picture to good carve

jab73180
01-26-2011, 07:08 PM
i dont know what i am missing here, but i cant seem to get a picture to carve well. i tried tips and tricks, followed micheals steps, looked good in editor but didnt look good in designer. any help with direction would be helpful. thanx.

CarverJerry
01-26-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't mean to sound like a smart a$$, but I'm in the same boat.........hopefully one of these days it'll "click" and I'll see the light...

CJ

AskBud
01-26-2011, 07:46 PM
i dont know what i am missing here, but i cant seem to get a picture to carve well. i tried tips and tricks, followed micheals steps, looked good in editor but didnt look good in designer. any help with direction would be helpful. thanx.
Without seeing your photo or the pattern and MPC, we are only guessing.
In the meantime my "Download" link, below, may give you some insight on processing photos. In particular, the Adobe section will give you some data to digest. Scan my other links for Photo, Image, picture, and such. The standard tutorials and Tips & Tricks may also help you. many portraits are best done in Corian, and back-lit, rather than carving on wood.
AskBud

Ike
01-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Bud is correct as I have painfully found out from one of my patterns, if the image is bad then the carving will be bad. The machine is doing it's job it sees the image and as the saying goes what it sees what it carves! Or what you see is what you get!

Show us the image or ptn.!

Ike

robbrigg2
01-26-2011, 08:10 PM
When working with an image there are three things to keep in mind..

Contrast
Size of the image
Gaussian Blur.

Contrast must be set to get the best distribution throughout the whole picture. It takes some time and trial and error to learn how to "see" the right blend but if you use scraps and test with one picture in various stages of contrast you will get a good idea.

Also, pictures that have a lot of subject matter are difficult to carve. The best bet is to either crop the image to include one or two main subjects (head and shoulder shots work great) this gives the machine the ability to carve better detail definition.

gaussian blur applied at the end smooths the pixels so you don't get the huge gouges that are prevelent in carving standard pictures straight from designer.

If you want to send me a picture you are trying to work with I can walk you through it step by step.

jab73180
01-27-2011, 07:20 AM
here is the image. im just looking for the head and shoulders. i tried to smooth it out in PE. im kinda in a time crunch because it is for my brothers urn and the funeral is saturday. any help would be good. i guess looking at the file size it might be to small. let me know what you guys think. thanx

AskBud
01-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Your attachment failed, try again.
AskBud