PDA

View Full Version : What's on the workbench right now?

liquidguitars
01-26-2011, 04:15 PM
On my workbench today just out of the paint booth a few days ago, 1959 Gibson LP replica..

http://www.liquidguitars.com/assets/images/LPR002.jpg

Soon to be shipping out..

http://www.liquidguitars.com/assets/images/VmadoR002.jpg

Dhaffner
01-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Your wood selection is superb. The time you put into placing grain pattern pays off big time. It's always a pleasure to see what you're working on.
I'd like to spend a couple days just watching you do some finishing. The color tinting is rich and never overwhelms the wood grain- and that's why you rock. I keep thinking maybe it would be cool to apply your wood finishes to signs- something I'd love to talk with you about sometime if you have a minute to spare....

SteveJ
01-26-2011, 04:29 PM
I just continue to marvel at your craftmanship! Thank you for sharing. I wish I could work for you "for free" on weekends. I would love to be able to build a 5 string bass for my wife and a Les Paul like that some day! Keep up the great work! You are an inspiration!

mtylerfl
01-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Ruined my computer keyboard from all the drooling over those wonderful instruments! ...wish there was a better word than "wow!" for those!...and the case...did you customize it yourself? Awesome!

www.carvenow.com
01-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Absolutely beautiful!!!

want2b
01-26-2011, 07:34 PM
The previous posts say it all, thx for sharing, you are one of those who give the rest of us goals to shoot for in both use of the carver and finishing techniques.
Hope I will someday be able to make something as beautiful, guess that's the difference between an artist and a hobbyist.
Rick H.

liquidguitars
01-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Ran outside to take one more photo..

http://www.liquidguitars.com/assets/images/LPR004.jpg

CarverJerry
01-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Wow, Michael is right.........such nice work LG.......I'm lost for words, thanks for sharing with us.

CarverJerry

Dhaffner
01-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Ok, now it's not fair for you to be able to just "run outside" and snap a pic of this thing surrounded by green. Many of us are knee deep
in the white stuff. I've altered the image for the rest of us. :)

Kenm810
01-26-2011, 11:49 PM
LG,

Absolutely Splendid --- Magnificent in Structure, Adornment, and Craftsmanship, Well Done!

earlyrider
01-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Just don't scratch it on the bricks!

Oldtrainerguy
01-27-2011, 09:30 AM
A "Master Craftsman" at work. Stunning and beyond description. My projects pale in comparison. Well Done!

Frederick_P
01-27-2011, 11:00 AM
I have always been amazed at your work. The beauty of your wood work, your creativity and the amazing finishes that you are able to acheive. I hope you are charging enough for these, they are masterpieces!

ajk
01-27-2011, 06:01 PM
I don't know what to say because your work is just amazing. Your talent is just out of content. Then I have to tell "extraordinario".
Hilda

robbrigg2
01-27-2011, 10:19 PM
WOW... Me Thinks I'm in love.. LG that is just fantastic... I wish I could take you out for some coffee to find out how you do the finish.. it's amazing!

liquidguitars
01-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks everyone!

Regarding the color coats. . This is fun finish to try, I use four guns " from Lows" two large guns for sanding sealer and top coat, two small guns for colors.

1. Lacquer sanding sealer 3 coats or more no need to sand between coats.
2. finish sand sealer to level with 320 sandpaper.
3. In a small finish gun mix the yellow into the lacquer, spray the top and let dry.
4. start a new mix this time with cherry red and a drop of blue. on a test piece of wood adjust the gun so the red has a fine particulate pattern. spray the sunburst shooting from the inside out keeping away from the center.

5. add a drop or two of red mahogany in the red and spray the very outside eages of the top let dry and remove any over-spray dust with a natural bristol brush.

6. spray a few coats of topcoat let dry for a week.

chebytrk
01-28-2011, 06:44 AM
So from start to finish........ how long did it take you to make that particular guitar?

liquidguitars
01-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Hard to say exactly.. the Les Paul take more work then a violin, if all works out under a week.

sizing wood and milling on the CW 2 days
fingerboard with frets and vshell .50 days
neck trod and headstock .50
set neck and finish sanding .50
paint finish 2 days
electronics and buff .50

Total 6 days and unlike last week, rest on Sunday and or Church services.

Digitalwoodshop
01-28-2011, 01:41 PM
WOW... Fantastic Work again..... Tell us about the case.... Did you make the inside shell too?

Thanks for the finishing tips....

AL

liquidguitars
01-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks everyone, it nice to show off and hopefully inspire with some information!

The case is from guardian, impressed with the fit and finish a little bit pricey around 100.00 but has a nice look!

The shell inlays on the fingerboard is something i am proud of as the cost of Paula shell inlays can be over 60.00 for a set! Last year I developed a solution for cutting the micro thin shell that I think looks fantastic.
Inlays using the machine takes only a few secs to cut with a very clean press fit. I use the 1/16 carving bit to cut the recess and the vshell. The angle of the bit makes a small wedge as the parts fit together.

atauer
01-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Okay LG. We have seen numerous pictures of the guitars and violins that you have done. What I want to see is the total cut time for your machine. If it takes two days to do a guitar like this, and you have had your machine for a good three years or so, your cut time is probably astronomical.

Can we get a pic showing your machine cut time? Or is that a secret?

liquidguitars
01-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi Alex, here are my numbers I have three units.. total 2342 cut hrs.

One of my longest carving is the LP top comming in under 3 hrs.

http://www.liquidguitars.com/assets/images/UploadR001.jpg

glassocean
01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
liquidguitars,
You sir, have it going on! I can't say I have a Les Paul anymore, but I do have a Gorilla on my work bench right now.41723

TIMCOSBY
01-31-2011, 10:34 PM
whats the diff. in a 59 les paul and a newer model?

liquidguitars
02-01-2011, 12:02 AM
mostly the way the carve top looks more Mojo, it's a fascination in the guitar world..

Here's the Man himself..

http://www.liquidguitars.com/assets/images/zsdfsdad.jpg

liquidguitars
02-01-2011, 12:24 AM
liquidguitars,
You sir, have it going on! I can't say I have a Les Paul anymore, but I do have a Gorilla on my work bench right now.41723

Thanks Glass, BTW that looks a lot like my cat...