PDA

View Full Version : Breaking cutting bits

Oldtrainerguy
01-26-2011, 03:27 PM
My machine keeps breaking cutting bit. head pressure is good and everything seems fine. When doing a project the bit cuts then slows for a second and snaps.
After the break it tells me to check cut motor.
It only occurs when using the 1/8th. 3/16th is fine, carving and centerline text is fine.
Broken 3 bits now and its getting expensive.
Have Version C updated to 1.177 software.
I clean often
Any suggestions?

cnsranch
01-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Make sure you're making multiple passes - one pass at 3/4" cut and you'll break it. IMHO, never more than 1/4" per pass.

Also, if you put a large feather around the cut-out, the bit will be cutting less wood as well.

Oldtrainerguy
01-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Using Pine wood. Round box project. Bit barely get going before the problem occurs

Old Salt
01-26-2011, 06:16 PM
see if the head has any movement in it , you may have a lose bearing or bit holder . use tape on bottom of board to grip tracking wheel. be sure and stay under rollers add the 7 in to the board
Just a few of the things to check. but good start.

Ike
01-26-2011, 08:34 PM
The position of the bit in the chuck has a lot to do with it also. Of course with the CT the built in holder can be inserted one way, but with the 1/4 sleeve you can not have enough shank installed. Plus are you using 3/4" boards and in the designer assigning 3/4" or 1" cut? Set too deep and you break bits! I was cutting 3/4" boards and assigning them as 1"

Ike

Oldtrainerguy
01-27-2011, 08:53 AM
I will make sure the chuck is installed all the way into the spindle. The assigned depth was 3/4 on a 3/4 board. Maybe the chuck was not all the way in.
Will keep ya' ll posted.

Digitalwoodshop
01-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I bet you a cold beer that that slow down you see it the feed rate going from first gear to 2nd gear and SNAP.....

Assign the 1/4 inch ball nose bit BUT use the 1/8 inch bit and it locks the feed rate into 1st gear.

That is what I do.... Takes longer.... But smoother cuts and no more broken bits.

AL

mtylerfl
01-27-2011, 02:16 PM
I bet you a cold beer that that slow down you see it the feed rate going from first gear to 2nd gear and SNAP.....

Assign the 1/4 inch ball nose bit BUT use the 1/8 inch bit and it locks the feed rate into 1st gear.

That is what I do.... Takes longer.... But smoother cuts and no more broken bits.

AL

Hi AL,

I don't think he can assign a 1/4" ballnose on a Cut Path...three choices...1/16" cutting, 1/8" cutting and 3/16" cutting - no 1/4" ballnose. I haven't tried the 3/16" cutting bit yet, so I can't say whether he could assign it then actually insert use the 1/8" cutting, whether it would have a slower feed/speed rate or not. Maybe!

gashawk
01-27-2011, 03:20 PM
The drive belt in the ztruck can tear, allowing extra movement for some bits to drill down. Try lifting and lower the ztruck by had, checking for loose travel.

Oldtrainerguy
01-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Belt drive is good but it may be the transition from first to second. Using the 3/16th is good. The round shell box project was the culprit. Didnt know if I could change it since it was a "free" posted carve. I left it at the 1/8th because the 3/16th would cause the cuts to be bigger and make the ring smaller causing it to break.