PDA

View Full Version : Software questions

Zclip
01-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Howdy folks,

I downloaded the trial version of the soft, and though I haven't completely RTFM yet, through the 'hunt & Peck' process, I've come up against an unexpected wall in the learning curve.

I'm trying to design a simple gothic (pointy arch) using the classical gothic arch proportions (width of arch = radius of overlapping circles, height of arch governed by lap of circles) and though I am 99.875% certain I saw some Boolean style tools in the toolbar, I couldn't find them when I looked again.

So I decided to use my boolean shapes as guides & lay it out with splines, but when I rightclick & drag on the CVs as the manual says, instead of adjusting the curvatures, I get a popup menue similar to right clicking on a file in your (my, whoevers') file manager.

any ideas for either scenario? Thanks for your time.

Zclip
01-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Oh come on folks, don't be shy. Any input will be appreciated.

Greybeard
01-05-2007, 09:21 AM
It may be of little help, but my exploration of the help files found that for "right"click read "left" !
There seems to be a re-write of the help files needed, asap, IMHO.
John

BobHill
01-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Zclip,

Besides using the left mouse to adjust the arch, remember that unlike other vector programs where you can pull on the path between points, in Designer you have to pull on the points (nodes) to change arcs. There is no cusp ability and the arc is equal between points. Less arc ability than CorelDraw/Illustrator/Xara, etc.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Zclip
01-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Oh joy!! It's Like CorelDraw v2, but without the functionality of tangent handles. how refreshingly archaic. Well, damn.

Has anyone tried importing raster images at 150, 300, or 600 DPI?

Oh, and thanks both for the input.

shaddy
01-06-2007, 02:43 AM
For more complex stuff I've been using CorelDRAW, filling black... exporting as JPG, then importing into CW. Then use CW's outline feature. You can just thicken up the lines and not fill within Corel, but then you have a more outlines in CW to delete.

It's how I've been getting around the lack of control within CW.

Shaddy

BobHill
01-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Pretty much that's the way I've been doing it in CorelDraw also.

Bob

Zclip
01-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Well, that sounds perfectly logical, for the most part. I was thinking since what we have here is essentially a 'wood printer' that increasing the DPI would give a smoother result... I think I'm just gonna throw on a pot of coffee & take the time out to RTFM today (Thanks again Bob) and probably just commit to the idea of working in raster.

Thanks for the input folks.

BobHill
01-06-2007, 11:41 AM
As I recall, Zclip, the CarveWright will recognize up to abou 128ppi resolution and anything over that is only good for upsizing (like having over 300ppi for a printer). But if you are carving to the size of the raster image, then going for the higher res won't do much for the carving process except it take up more memory.

Bob

Greybeard
01-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Presumably the resolution limit to 128dpi is from the z axis carving limit of 1" and the step size of 1/128" ?
John

BobHill
01-06-2007, 04:29 PM
I'd also guess that the size of the carving bit might well come into the resoltuion maximums as well, John.

Bob

Greybeard
01-06-2007, 04:40 PM
I thought that if the Z axis was limited in resolution(because of the max depth cut), the x and y would automatically be limited to the same.
John

BobHill
01-06-2007, 05:05 PM
John,

If I'm understanding what you said, John, I'd guess NO there is no automatic X, Y based on Z. As an example if you do some fonts in text and the size is too small, the bit will cut through where it's not supposed to cut due to depth setting being too deep for the design of the character. This may show just fine in Designer, but when it comes to the actual cut, you'll have areas cut away due to this.

Bob

Greybeard
01-06-2007, 05:31 PM
I think we're slightly at cross purposes here Bob.
I was thinking along the lines that the reason that Designer would only use 128dpi when importing any jpg image was that the z axis was the limiting factor (ie my ref to max depth of cut etc.). This would then limit what was available to the other axis.
John

BobHill
01-06-2007, 06:13 PM
John,

I'd guess that my mind is still in a fog (and perhaps still in Las Vegas), but I'm still not sure how the depth of Z would effect X and Y. ???

Bob

mobident
01-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Can someone delineate the difference between the software provided by sears and that by Carvewright.

It looks like the download is activatable when you buy from Carvewright - full software

And sears gives you a scaled down version and charges more for the full software?

I could not find the software on the sears web site. The sears brochure says that the premium software is only available online...
Bruce

Greybeard
01-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Sorry Bob, I think I expressed myself badly.

What I should have said is that given the limits placed on the z axis as in my earlier post, I assumed that the software would use the same set up for each of the three axis - same step size per byte for example, so, in that sense, the limits placed on Z affect X and Y.

Again, I assume that starting from a greyscale file, the software will convert this in some way, beyond my understanding, such that the x,y and z data would be given "equal weight".

I see in my minds eye the appearance of a hemisphere as a greyscale image. If the axis data were to be given unequal weight, there would be more obvious steps on the carved surface than if they were given equal weight.

I hope this hasn't muddied the water even more !
John

BobHill
01-08-2007, 04:03 PM
John,

Weird, but somehow your post got posted into the wrong thread, methinks.

But the speed of the x and y axis stays the same speed (movement constant) in raster mode, regardless of the Z depth, I believe. That's why you can't adjust the speed manually too, I suspect.

Bob

Greybeard
01-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Bob, I think we've both wandered a bit from Zclip's original thread, whereas mobident's post is on track :D

John

BobHill
01-08-2007, 04:52 PM
True enough, John

Bob

mobident
01-10-2007, 02:54 PM
anyone have an answer to my question above?
Bruce

BobHill
01-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Bruce,

I've not seen the Sears software and understand it's more basic, but in any case, if it's less than the original, it's worth the upgrade price, I'm sure. I can't imagine not having full access to what I have now.

Bob

Jeff_Birt
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
The issue of software versions has been rasied and answerd several times. As I understand it, the software now shipping with both the Sears and CW branded machines is exactly the same. The original beta testers have access to a more extensive version that will be available soon for purchase (upgrade) by everyone.

mobident
01-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks to Jeff and Bob for replying.

I decided to go to the source. I called CW and asked each of my questions, got answers and then stated all of the below back to the person to confirm that I understood correctly.

More sears machines available in 2-3 weeks

If you want to order from CW you can put your name on a waiting list. They will have machines in 4-6 weeks and they will call you when your name comes up.

The software at sears and from CW is currently exactly the same. There are not 2 versions out there.

The software that comes with a new machine from sears or CW is slightly ahead of the trial version (more, not less).

A software upgrade is shortly to be released.

The software upgrade is NOT the premium software

the upgrade will be free to owners

owners will receive free upgrades for 2 years from purchase (web site says 1 year)

The premuim package will have some level of CAD portablility with popular programs/formats. Some of the other advanced funtions that are being tossed around in the forum may be included. They decline to be more specific before a release date is announced.

There is no announced release date or price for the premium software.

Bruce

BobHill
01-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks for your update, Bruce.

Bob