PDA

View Full Version : Introduce Yourself

Pages : [1] 2 3

lynnfrwd
01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
We welcome you to the CarveWright Community Forum.

Please introduce yourself so that we may get to know you.

Digitalwoodshop
01-25-2011, 06:40 PM
I could not resist....

AL "who" here.... Got the nickname when I called LHR one time and said this was AL.... Digitalwoodshop.... She said "AL "who".... So the Urban Myth goes....

I am a self proclaimed compulsive poster.... With over 5000 posts since 2007... I spend time each day here posting advice good and sometimes bad....

A retired Navy Chief and Electronics Tech with 8 years with Sony fixing everything from Fanuc Robots at a Picture Tube Plant to Play Stations at the former Philly Service Center....

Now I run my business making Tourist Stuff, Signs, and Fire Dept Safety Products.

I am on top of the world this week as I just got a $10K Fire Tag order... Topping my last year's 15 Kentucky Fire Dept $5K order...

I use my CW to cut the Tag Stock and Wood Handles for my Fire stuff plus Maltese Clocks.

This is a GREAT PLACE and the machine fits my need very well..... I was going to cut the tags for this big order on my CW, 30 sheets 12 x 24 at 30 min each. But they decided on a 1.5 x 3 tag that I can get pre cut from my supplier.... to save time, It will go the easy route this time and give the CW a rest.... I will cut 8 wood handles for Accountability Boards for the order....

It is going to be a GREAT year....

AL "who"

ktjwilliams
02-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Hey My name is Kevin ( ktjwilliams)... Live in New Jersey.... I just received an email that my machine has shipped.. (2/21/2011).... I can't wait,,, any and all advise is welcomed..... I retired so I'm alwayzzz around...

easybuilt
02-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the CW club. Keep reading what is posted, read the tips and tricks and you will have lots of fun.
I am looking forward to your post and completed projects.
Enjoy!

wannabecarver
02-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Hello I am wannabecarver and I have a question since I just made my first project today.

librmuel
03-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Hello i am new and of course i am starting out with a Edge sensor problem.... I hope it is worth it to fix it..

mikedhill1
03-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Hi, I just got my Carvewright last Wednesday, had a problem with a microswitch, which the staff walked me through, got me up and running, and I have been learning by trial and error ever since. Let me just say, I love this machine. I am looking forward to some great times, and fantastic projects... Mike..

h2odog
03-19-2011, 03:23 PM
At least the CW is out of the box now and sitting on a bench.
Hi I am Gary. I live in Chandler, OK. I arrived here from Kansas by way of 10 years in AZ.
I will be attending the '11 conference and am looking forward to picking a few brains about the pattern creation process. A very important concept for me as nearly all that I do will be unique; and by unique I DO NOT mean using canned patterns. My woodworking skills have all been self taught so I know that I can learn from others that have been doing longer or that have had some practical education. I am curious by nature and an IBM iSeries programmer by choice.

lynche300
03-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi, I'm lynche. Just ordered a new Carvewright. I live in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin.I'm looking forward to carveing but I'm a little worried!!!!!!

Clockmaker
03-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Hi,
My name is Jerry I'm forcefully retired. I like to carve but my hands arn't what they were so I decided to get this, I received my unit in Feb. but haven't been able to use it till the weather started warming up my shop heater died it's cold in Pa. I'm working on my first project, a sign for the Boy Scout camp. I'm stopping the sign to make the dust collector.
Hope to talk latter.

lynnfrwd
03-21-2011, 10:27 PM
We got lots of new folks over this last week!! Welcome to the CW family to you all!!

Alan Malmstrom
03-21-2011, 11:13 PM
My name is Alan

I am a grapic designer. I like the way the project software turns raster images into 3D. Creating the raster images is like creating a depth chart using shades of grey. I am currently working on a picture frame and have attached an image capture of it.

quarrydesigns
03-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Daniel here..

Full time Paramedic / Firefighter, owner operator of Quarry Designs Wood Working otherwise, had my CW about 6 months wish I had more time to work with it but the furniture business has been almost overwhelming since the first of the year..

https://www.facebook.com/QuarryDesignsWoodWorking

cnc hiker
03-25-2011, 02:05 PM
After pondering the purchase of a CW for over 6 months I finally took the plunge. While waiting on my dust collection system to arrive, I had to experiment with the new machine. I must have been so excited that I didn't set the correct height to the feed tray rollers. On the third carve I ripped a feed belt. My fault. That just gave me a good reason to order the heavy duty belts and get aquainted with the internals of the CW. New belts on and working like a charm.
Kiley

fwharris
03-25-2011, 02:31 PM
After pondering the purchase of a CW for over 6 months I finally took the plunge. While waiting on my dust collection system to arrive, I had to experiment with the new machine. I must have been so excited that I didn't set the correct height to the feed tray rollers. On the third carve I ripped a feed belt. My fault. That just gave me a good reason to order the heavy duty belts and get aquainted with the internals of the CW. New belts on and working like a charm.
Kiley

Kiley,

Hope it is smooth carving from this point on!!

cnsranch
03-25-2011, 03:45 PM
My name is Alan

I am a grapic designer. I like the way the project software turns raster images into 3D. Creating the raster images is like creating a depth chart using shades of grey. I am currently working on a picture frame and have attached an image capture of it.

Just saw your post - great pattern - you'll soon be selling your stuff in the Depot.

margaret
03-25-2011, 04:53 PM
please help- I am trying to learn how to introduce myself and start posting. have looked at the FAQs, but cannot find how to start...

lynnfrwd
03-25-2011, 05:27 PM
You just did a fine job Margaret! Welcome to the CW Forum!

DocWheeler
03-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Lynn,

Just saw this thread.
Ron Justice started an "Introductory" thread several years ago entitled "Whats your Expertise".
Perhaps you could combine these two threads.

cnc hiker
03-25-2011, 09:07 PM
FWHarris,

I received the dust collector a few days ago. Looks great. I'm just waiting on my vacuum system. Thanks
Kiley

Rearden
04-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Newb here, contemplating purchase of a new 'C' w/ all of the bells and whistles. I don't know a raster from a vector but fortunately I have young people in the house to guide me.
I have a closet sized shop full of Festool kit, including a couple of their fabulously great but overpriced dust evacuation vacs, one of which I hope to see connected to a CW in the near future.

dance0001
05-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Dance0001 here.
I have been into woodworking since I got out of high school. ( which has been several years ago.) I have had the carvewright
(sears brand) for around 4 or 5 years. I love it. I have learned a lot from this forum and I encourage everyone that is interested in the carvewright to check out the forum. I have learned to work on the machine and repair most things. I also do a lot of other woodworking, I have just about every kind of wood working tool imaginable, and I love it!

rcarouth
05-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Just wanted to say Im new. Got a carvewright for Christmas and been learning as i go. Thanks for all the post. They have been a huge help in getting through some of the learning time.

Im In West Texas if there is anyone else out this way with a carvewright i would like to hear from you.

Thanks

Robert

Millwright
05-28-2011, 07:21 PM
New to this forum. Bought a "new, never used" carvewright off ebay, and am interested in using it to increase my shops capabilities.
My focus is stairs, doors and custom millwork, and I think once I get the hang of this, it should suit my needs quite well (albeit a lot slower than the $70k monster CNC's my competitors have, but the same result at the end of the day -or 2 ;) )

most specifically, I am seeking out anyone who has successfully integrated one of these machines with a Legacy Mill?
if you or anyone you know fits this profile, please let me know, as this is my first intent once I get the basic fundamentals of this.

I look forward to meeting some of you, and am always willing to share my areas of expertise (millwork, joinery, fabrication, finish carpentry and manufacturing)

liquidguitars
05-28-2011, 10:47 PM
My focus is stairs, doors

As a licensed Millwright and cabinet guy " retired" I would suggest using a 1.25" or bigger, spindle shaper for doors and stairs. The CW will do a good job for inhancing the big stuff.

DaveN
05-30-2011, 07:09 PM
willing to share my areas of expertise (millwork, joinery, fabrication, finish carpentry and manufacturing)

Welcome to the forums, looks like we share the same areas of expertise :)

Legacy Mill?

I need to get out more, I've never heard of the Legacy Mill?. Thats a very cool
machine, Im going to have to make that my next toy.

Don Olivas
06-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I am new to this what wood is best to use for the carvwrite machine.

JMRoberson
10-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Just thought I would drop in here and introduce ourselves. My husband and I bought a Carvewright thru Jason Allen this September so that we could start our own carving business. We're serial entrepreneurs who have about 5 failed business attempts under our belt at the age of 30 and plan on selling wooden toys as well as lithopanes. We have three little boys 4,2 and 3 months and we essentially want to make good gifts for our family and allow others to buy them.

LittleRedWoodshop
10-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Hello J & J Roberson ... welcome to the forum.

fwharris
10-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Just thought I would drop in here and introduce ourselves. My husband and I bought a Carvewright thru Jason Allen this September so that we could start our own carving business. We're serial entrepreneurs who have about 5 failed business attempts under our belt at the age of 30 and plan on selling wooden toys as well as lithopanes. We have three little boys 4,2 and 3 months and we essentially want to make good gifts for our family and allow others to buy them.

Welcome to the CarveWright community! Check in often to find out what is going on and post any questions you might have. Make sure you read up on the tips and tricks newsletters.

Happy carving!

jaroot
10-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Welcome! You'll find lots of friends here!

b.sumner47
10-06-2011, 07:35 PM
To all of the Newbie's. Welcome Aboard ! Capt Barry

dbfletcher
10-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Welcome all. As you will find out soon enough.. there are some here to make $$ with there machine, there are some here just for fun, but we are ALL here to help each other out in any way we can. The CW family is a very diverse and dedicated group. This is by far the most active forum I have ever been a part of.

JMRoberson
10-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Just got our blog set up and facebook page.

http://jrcarvingcreations.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/our-first-project-psalm-1151/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/JR-Carving-Creations/196516713751665

Jason, we finally got some pictures posted :o)

easybuilt
10-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Nice Blog and facebook page! Thanks for sharing.

sailor
12-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Hello my name is Charles. I am a 80 year old in my second childhood. Off on a new adventure I received my CarveWright a couple of weeks ago. So far I am having a lot of fun. I am off to a slow start with software but it is coming. I don't know if my problem I am too old or too young. I have enjoyed this forum and have learned much from it hope I can reach you peoples level soon.

Charles

lynnfrwd
12-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the forum. Great bunch of people here with a lot of knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easybuilt
12-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Hi Charles and welcome to the CW world!
We are glad you are here and always here to help each other and share our successes.

MORMONFLY
12-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Hi I'm a newbe, been reading the "Tips and Tricks" and all the other manuls. Health problems slowed me down, but am about ready to start up.

easybuilt
12-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Hi MORMONFLY and welcome to the forum.

henry1
12-05-2011, 06:19 AM
Hi I'm a newbe, been reading the "Tips and Tricks" and all the other manuls. Health problems slowed me down, but am about ready to start up.
I wish you guys would say were your from Canada or USA just a Suggestion and welcome,, people here are very helpful to help

MORMONFLY
12-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Sorry about that Henry, I'm down in southeast Iowa known as the Pen City.

chebytrk
12-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Greetings! Welcome to the family ! :D

Hello everybody, my name is Gelu (gelu_b), I'm from Romania and now I'm a happy owner of a SH CW; my hobby is to build retro Nixie electronic clocks and I bought this machine to help me to build the clock' cases. I spent a lot of time reading the forum, the tutorials and now I'm learning the CW software (it takes time as I'm doing in my free time only). I'm happy to join to your community, I got a lot of answers to my issues and I hope that some day I'll be able to share my own projects.

rickroy
01-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Good morning all. I am Rick Roy from Greenfield Massachusetts ... originally from Visalia California. I just bought a used CarveWright (Craftsman name on the top of it though) and I am setting up a wood shop in my cellar. My original goal was to carve and drill custom cribbage boards. However, my horizons are expanding everytime I read a "Tips and Tricks" There is so much that can be done! I am amazed by some of the work being dome. Beautiful, just beautiful! I have a background in photography, PhotoShop and website building. My goal is to put photos of pets, children, families, etc on c ribbage boards (or without the cribbage element. I won't start carving until the wood shop is ready, about Jan 15, 2012. I need some bits! The previous owner has them "somewhere." So I have a machine with no bits. I am thinking of upgrading to the "C" version so it doesn't make since to purchase new bits for the old chuck does it? Anyone want to rid themselves of a couple of the older style bits?

mathman
01-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Hi all - received my first CarveWright machine about a week and a half ago. Finally got the shop cleared up enough yesterday to set it up and give it a whirl on a simple design I did earlier in the week. Wasn't too bad a for first effort. :)

David

bergerud
01-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Welcome, I like your name! Can we expect to see some equations? One of the reasons I bought the Carvewright was because I could carve mathematical surfaces.

Maria Pugarelli Ginter
01-07-2012, 03:04 PM
My name is Maria. Just moved to Arizona. Haven't touched my CW in years and need technical help with patterns.
Thanx!

Bigtyme
01-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Hi All,
Bought my CW about 6 months ago and am having a great time with it. I have been using the forum a lot and appreciate all the great advice I have seen here. I have been building furniture and accessories for over 25 years and this is my first foray into the CNC world...I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks :0)

Bigtyme
01-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Hi,
I have had my CW for about 6 months now and have been using the forum to learn a lot. Thank you to everyone who posts as it is very helpful and I have picked up some great stuff. I have been building furniture and accessories for over 25 years, but this is my first foray into CNC and so far, I am really enjoying it. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks :0). I hope to be able to add to the forum over time instead of always taking away. I am really enjoying my CW and it is a great additon to my wood shop.....

lynnfrwd
01-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Welcome to all the newbies on here. Lots of helpful info and great group of people to get to know.

lynnfrwd
01-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Good morning all. I am Rick Roy from Greenfield Massachusetts ... originally from Visalia California. I just bought a used CarveWright (Craftsman name on the top of it though) and I am setting up a wood shop in my cellar. My original goal was to carve and drill custom cribbage boards. However, my horizons are expanding everytime I read a "Tips and Tricks" There is so much that can be done! I am amazed by some of the work being dome. Beautiful, just beautiful! I have a background in photography, PhotoShop and website building. My goal is to put photos of pets, children, families, etc on c ribbage boards (or without the cribbage element. I won't start carving until the wood shop is ready, about Jan 15, 2012. I need some bits! The previous owner has them "somewhere." So I have a machine with no bits. I am thinking of upgrading to the "C" version so it doesn't make since to purchase new bits for the old chuck does it? Anyone want to rid themselves of a couple of the older style bits?

We can talk to you about the upgrading to the CarveTight. Might be a good idea to do that before buying the old-style bits.

timblackburn
01-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Hi all, I just bought my CarveWright on Ebay, and because the serial number was registered to the previous owner, I cannot order patterns or save a pattern I made to the disc. HELP!!!

easybuilt
01-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Welcome to this wonderful community. You need to call Carvewright and email them proof of purchase. They will then register your computer for that machine.
Enjoy your new purchase!

william-finn
02-26-2012, 06:29 AM
hey guys im about a month in to using my new carvewright and got it for lithophanes and wood photo carving......ive done about 12 lithos and getting better but now Im getting blurry carvings.......help please....515140515155151651517

mathman
02-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Question: Did you have to increase the size of the image prior to "carving"?

David

BBrooks
02-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Hi William,

"blurry" could be a number of things. The quality of the photos themselves or simply a dull bit, especially if you are carving in corian or similar hard material.
Let us know.
Cheers,

william-finn
02-26-2012, 06:43 PM
most i had to decrease the size because it wanted to make them 25 x 32 or larger.......the dragon and moon i did increase but only an inch on width......im gonna go with dull bit...thanks guys and ill put up some more soon...gotta order some bits...thanks

b.sumner47
02-26-2012, 07:46 PM
To All of the Newbies. Welcome Aboard!

Capt Barry

MrRooney
02-27-2012, 08:45 AM
I have been watching this product over the past 5 years. Reading the forums, in particular the posts on mechanical and software issues. I figured the the 'c' version was a good point to jump into using the machine. So yesterday I found a 'c' version package onsale - includes the bits and the probe. Looking forward to starting several projects I have inmind. The only dissapointment without opening the box and setting up the machine is the warrenty. I have NO issue with the 30 days. But that the warrenty starts with purchase, I am going to burn 6 days waiting for Saturday to roll around. I should have read more on the warrently details and waited until next Saturday morning to buy the machine. But I expect with this 'c' version that my odds of having a problem are small.

damoench
02-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi all, I just got my new machine on Friday. I paid extra to have it shipped in 2 days and I am FRUSTRATED!.

I got my machine, read all the manuals, created my first carving with the software and tried to start my first project... Close cover Please stopped everything! I went back to the troubleshooting guide, read a bunch of post and no sawdust. Contact support today and found out I have a faulty wire since the switch checked out. I'm concerned that the new cable will not fix the problem and it will be another week before I can make sawdust.

william-finn
03-01-2012, 08:08 PM
I took my time....learned to put the bit on best and i have my best litho yet......looks 200% better than pic...i love it.....this is in 1/2 inch....10x10 strawberry ice illumination series corian sample....51579 I have the blueberry ice,mint ice,and glacier ice in 10x10 to try now....I LOVE THIS MACHINE!

lynnfrwd
03-01-2012, 11:39 PM
I have been watching this product over the past 5 years. Reading the forums, in particular the posts on mechanical and software issues. I figured the the 'c' version was a good point to jump into using the machine. So yesterday I found a 'c' version package onsale - includes the bits and the probe. Looking forward to starting several projects I have inmind. The only dissapointment without opening the box and setting up the machine is the warrenty. I have NO issue with the 30 days. But that the warrenty starts with purchase, I am going to burn 6 days waiting for Saturday to roll around. I should have read more on the warrently details and waited until next Saturday morning to buy the machine. But I expect with this 'c' version that my odds of having a problem are small.

I think we exchanged emails earlier today. Usually starts once registered, so long as reasonable. Can't wait two years until u retire... You should be good starting it on Saturday. You have 90 days to add a one or two year warranty if u so choose. Costs a $100 more than when buying machine is purchased.

Dave Morris
03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Hey,
My name is Dave I’m currently serving in the Air Force stationed in Valdosta GA. Prior to joining the Air Force I worked as a Tool & Die maker (Machinist) for 5 years so naturally this machine caught my eye immediately. Initially I had a few concerns about the noise considering I’m surrounded by neighbors and I’ve decided after reading the forums that a “hush box” would probably work well for me. I’m also having a hard time deciding between remanufactured and new saving the extra $200 is so tempting.

Dave

eelamb
03-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Welcome Dave, and get the new machine, you will not regret spending the extra money. Is the refurbished through LHR?

lynnfrwd
03-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Welcome Dave, and get the new machine, you will not regret spending the extra money. Is the refurbished through LHR?

Yes, we are refurbishing them here in-house.

eelamb
03-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Just wanted to make sure he was not looking at the ebay machine seller, where he would get a "A" machine, and have lots of extra cost to upgrade.

Icutone2
06-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Hello all, just found this site looks interresting .

Thanks lee

CNC Carver
06-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Welcome Lee this is a great place to be. Spend lot of time reading there is a lot of knowledge here. If you run into trouble just ask many people here to help you.

CWFan
06-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Hello all, I have just taken over using my fathers machine which he has not used for a few years. Just found this forum and looking forward to being a member.
Todd.

lawrence
06-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Welcome Todd,

I'm in Tucson, where are you located?

Lawrence

CNC Carver
06-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Welcome Todd hope with help of the forum you are up and carving soon. Be sure and read Tips and Tricks as a good starting point. Feel free to ask any question here. Masny people with lots of knowledge!
Jeff

ladjr
06-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Welcome Todd, I'm sure you will have lots of fun with your machine. Again welcome

CWFan
06-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Welcome Todd,

I'm in Tucson, where are you located?

Lawrence

Just outside of Kingman by the airport lawrence. Thanks all for the welcome posts, I have been around the forum as a guest for a few weeks now and have gone through all the tips and tricks and some of buds tutorials so I already have learned alot.

wlkjr
07-05-2012, 07:42 PM
After lurking since 2009, I have placed an order for a new CW. My wife is good with software and she is more excited than I am. A special thanks to Bruce Kinney for allowing me into his shop for a demonstration. The day I spent with him pushed me over the edge. I look forward to learning new skills and adding it to my longtime woodworking hobby. Since I am semi-retired, I should have ample time to devote to this endeavor.

fwharris
07-05-2012, 07:57 PM
After lurking since 2009, I have placed an order for a new CW. My wife is good with software and she is more excited than I am. A special thanks to Bruce Kinney for allowing me into his shop for a demonstration. The day I spent with him pushed me over the edge. I look forward to learning new skills and adding it to my longtime woodworking hobby. Since I am semi-retired, I should have ample time to devote to this endeavor.

Welcome aboard! There are lots of husband and wife carving teams, Great way to use each others skills!

wlkjr
07-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Welcome aboard! There are lots of husband and wife carving teams, Great way to use each others skills!
Thanks. I've also ordered one of your dust collectors too.

fwharris
07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks. I've also ordered one of your dust collectors too.

:) Just replied to your order! Will ship it out tomorrow. Thanks!

ladjr
07-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Just outside of Kingman by the airport lawrence. Thanks all for the welcome posts, I have been around the forum as a guest for a few weeks now and have gone through all the tips and tricks and some of buds tutorials so I already have learned alot.

Todd

I think you are closer to me. I'm in Las Vegas. Welcome to the Forum and Carvewright

jonathanhahka
07-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi all. I bought a used CW from ebay. The memory card it came with was dirty and unreadable by the machine. I bought two more cards, thinking, "what the hay, I may need two cards". 1 week later, recieved the cards, plugged them into my reader and tried to upload a project. It got to about 20%, stopped and said my card may be corrupted. Tried the other card, same message. Bought another card, same thing. Running designer as administrator, inserted when I was supposed to and wont even format or flash. Am I doomed? Please help!

Jon

fwharris
07-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Jonathan,

Wow sounds like you have enough cards now! Does it do this with all of the cards? I would check the reader to see if it is dirty or has any bent connectors.

And welcome! Make sure you are all caught up with the updated documents, designer and tips and tricks.

http://www.carvewright.com/update

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/support/manuals.php

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/support/maintenance.php

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/learn/cwlearn.php

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/learn/tips.php

smurfjeep
08-31-2012, 08:19 AM
Hello All, I have finally made the purchase and have a new Version "C". I have been reading and asking questions on this forum for some time now, so I decided to buy a 2hp DC system from Harbor Freight, and the "Ring Neck Blues" Dust hood. I now need to figure out how to ground my Ring Neck, Carvewright and DC together, and I will be ready to start carving.

One thing I must say, is there is no short supply of advice/help on this forum. I often get lost in the forum, tip/tricks pages, learn something new....then come back again tomorrow to try to find what I was looking for in the first place.

Really want to make sure I don't
1. Fry my Carvewright with static discharge
2. Clog any sensors up due to dust collection

Would appreciate any advice.

Woody

Bigtyme
08-31-2012, 08:36 AM
Welcome, Woody. Glad to have you as part of the CW family. Sounds like you made good choices with your DC and the dust hood. You will be happy with them. There is a lot of great folks here who are always willing to help and share ideas. As far as grounding your DC, there have been a number of posts on that subject, but I believe a good method is to connect a ground wire to your dust hood and wrap it around the exterior of the collection hose all the way to the DC and connect it there. I have a central unit remote controlled in my shop with hard PVC piping and blast gates. I have run the ground wire from all the blast gates back to my DC and haven't had an issue. I have used this type of system for about 20 years. I do think a wire from the blast gate to the actual machine is a great addition and even better protection.
Anyway, happy carving and welcome....

Old Salt
08-31-2012, 09:00 AM
Just a welcome to the form

fwharris
08-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Hello All, I have finally made the purchase and have a new Version "C". I have been reading and asking questions on this forum for some time now, so I decided to buy a 2hp DC system from Harbor Freight, and the "Ring Neck Blues" Dust hood. I now need to figure out how to ground my Ring Neck, Carvewright and DC together, and I will be ready to start carving.

One thing I must say, is there is no short supply of advice/help on this forum. I often get lost in the forum, tip/tricks pages, learn something new....then come back again tomorrow to try to find what I was looking for in the first place.

Really want to make sure I don't
1. Fry my Carvewright with static discharge
2. Clog any sensors up due to dust collection

Would appreciate any advice.

Woody

Woody,

Welcome!
For the grounding, just as John stated you can run your grounding wire from the frame of your DC coiled around your hose up to the CW. I use alligator clips at the CW for attaching to the machine and insert.

cnsranch
08-31-2012, 09:50 AM
FWIW, my grounding wire is running from the DC up, inside the hose, and attached to the frame of the CW (on one of the two pre-drilled holes just under the front of the cover). Continuity tester shows that all parts of the machine are grounded from there.

smurfjeep
08-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Considering I haven't purchased my ground wires yet, from what I read here, I am assuming that the wire is bare (not insulated) in order to pick up any static. Either outside or inside the hose.

cnsranch
08-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Right - and putting it inside the hose takes care of any concern for static build up.

Bigtyme
08-31-2012, 10:38 AM
I have used speaker wire which can be purchasd without insulation and isn't too expensive...

mikemi
08-31-2012, 02:20 PM
I have been using 4 inch flexible aluminum dryer duct on mine, used the ends of the metal wire in the duct to ground on each end and it seems to work fine.
I got it at Lowe's and they carry it in 8 ft and 20 ft lengths.

Mike

dltccf
08-31-2012, 11:15 PM
I have been using 4 inch flexible aluminum dryer duct on mine, used the ends of the metal wire in the duct to ground on each end and it seems to work fine.
I got it at Lowe's and they carry it in 8 ft and 20 ft lengths.

Mike

I went to the woodcraft store with the intent to buy the flexible hose they sell there and the salesman in the store talked me out of it, he said use the flexible dryer hose, its way cheaper and works better and he had been using it for decades. I told him that I appreciated his honesty and would probably be more likely to buy other stuff from the store just because of that. He may have lost one sale that day, but will more than make it up down the road.

fwharris
08-31-2012, 11:27 PM
I went to the woodcraft store with the intent to buy the flexible hose they sell there and the salesman in the store talked me out of it, he said use the flexible dryer hose, its way cheaper and works better and he had been using it for decades. I told him that I appreciated his honesty and would probably be more likely to buy other stuff from the store just because of that. He may have lost one sale that day, but will more than make it up down the road.

Sounds like great customer service to me!

dltccf
09-01-2012, 05:59 AM
Sounds like great customer service to me!

I thought so too

sjwilson57
10-23-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm new to the CarveWright System and this forum. I recently purchase a "C" version and all the bells and whistles (software packages). My wife and I run a Retail Consignment Business, and I look forward to selling my creations at the store. I have been watching every video related to the CarveWright CNC Router that I can find (CarveWright.com, Youtube.com,...etc.). I know that I will learn from all of the Members here as well.

Well, let's get started. I recently made this multiple game table (see attached photo below). Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Steve56594

chief2007
10-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Nicely done! Great use of materials and looks like your research has worked well for you

b.sumner47
10-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Welcome Aboard, Steve !! Looks like your off to a good start.

Capt Barry

mtylerfl
10-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Hi Steve,

Welcome! The game board looks great. It will make a wonderful Christmas gift item to sell in your store!

Bigtyme
10-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Nice project, Steve. Should be a good seller for you in your shop. Welcome to the Forum. There are some very good folks here who are always ready to help.....

kennelmaster
10-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Just ordered my CW today. My. what a gracious and helpful person Connie is! Hope to be breaking bit soon!

Paul,
Northwestern Ouisconsin

easybuilt
10-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Welcome Paul to this wonderful group of people and carvers. We are all here to help you and each other. I look forward to seeing your creations!

fwharris
10-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Just ordered my CW today. My. what a gracious and helpful person Connie is! Hope to be breaking bit soon!

Paul,
Northwestern Ouisconsin

Paul,

Welcome to the CW!!! Looking forward to seeing some of your work and WE are all here to help you along your carving adventure.

You DC-INSERT is ready to ship out, THANKS!!

ladjr
10-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Welcome to the forum, and we are here to help. I have never seen a question on this forum that was not answered

badbert
10-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Alright a newbie! Man you sure found the right place! These fine folks will have you carvin' like a pro in no time! Welcome!

eelamb
10-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Welcome to the forum, you came to the right place.

Kmbzak
10-29-2012, 08:46 PM
I'd like to say welcome also even though I am a newbe also. I have had my machine for a short time also and have over 100 hours on it already. Some words of a newbe is start out simple, (you don't want to get flustered) get a dust collector, (it will save your shop vac) Keep it clean (your machine) You know about the ABC's now you need to understand the X,Yand Z's. I have made a lot of mistakes so far and wasted a lot of expensive wood but you learn by your mistakes. These guys on this forum are great. I would bet that if you have a problem and post it you will get a response within 30 minutes, They are great. This is just my two cents
Again welcome to the group, its one big happy carving family. by the way here is my last carve.

http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56589&d=1350968008 (http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56589&d=1350968008)
Ken

henry1
10-29-2012, 09:12 PM
I'd like to say welcome also even though I am a newbe also. I have had my machine for a short time also and have over 100 hours on it already. Some words of a newbe is start out simple, (you don't want to get flustered) get a dust collector, (it will save your shop vac) Keep it clean (your machine) You know about the ABC's now you need to understand the X,Yand Z's. I have made a lot of mistakes so far and wasted a lot of expensive wood but you learn by your mistakes. These guys on this forum are great. I would bet that if you have a problem and post it you will get a response within 30 minutes, They are great. This is just my two cents
Again welcome to the group, its one big happy carving family. by the way here is my last carve.

http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56589&d=1350968008 (http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56589&d=1350968008)
Ken
Nice job keep up the nice work

ladjr
10-29-2012, 09:20 PM
That is a beautiful carving.

dehrlich
11-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Hello, new to the Forum. Just purchased an older, but barely used Carvewright on Friday. Finally figured out how to do a pattern and can't wait to do my first carving. Gotta do some maintenance on the machine first. Wanted one of these since the Compucarve first came out! Darren, D&M Woodworks www.kansaswood.com (http://www.kansaswood.com)

chief2007
11-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Welcome Darren, the forum is a great place for info and help. Enjoy your machine and if you run into any problems we are here to help you get back to carving.

Your website looks great and I can see you adding some great carvings to your products.

fwharris
11-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Hello, new to the Forum. Just purchased an older, but barely used Carvewright on Friday. Finally figured out how to do a pattern and can't wait to do my first carving. Gotta do some maintenance on the machine first. Wanted one of these since the Compucarve first came out! Darren, D&M Woodworks www.kansaswood.com (http://www.kansaswood.com)

Darren,

Welcome to the CW!! Based on what I saw on your site the CW should fit very well into your business. Let us know what we can do to help you out with your older CW.

eelamb
11-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Welcome Darren, nice emailing you over the week end. Hope you got things figured out now. Enjoy the machine, and any questions you may have this is the right place to ask them.

ladjr
11-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Welcome Darren

I know you will enjoy your machine. It is a great machine, and even a better forum. Please post your products so we can see your progree.

cfox
11-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Hello I am new to custom carvign with a machine. I love the machine its the softwhere i am stuggling with!!
Ive had this thing for a couple of years and used it a little. But now i am serious about learning and hopefuly I can figure it out with your help..

easybuilt
11-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Welcome to this wonderful group of talented people at all levels. be sure you review the training on the Carvewright site but we are always here to help too.
Here is the link.
http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/software-tutorials/

lawrence
11-18-2012, 08:53 PM
welcome and we're here to answer questions if we can

Lawrence

ladjr
11-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Welcome. I hope you have fun with your machine

IM2HAPPI
11-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Hi, Immmm back ! I purchased my carver in 2007. I somewhat retired her 3 years ago but Im going to bring her back to life this winter. She was running great when she went to sleep for a few years but I have much more time now. I think I have forgotten most all I learned but should come back like riding a bike, or so I hope ; ) So even though my join date is 2007, trust me Im a newbie yet again.
Barb

CNC Carver
11-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Hi, Immmm back ! I purchased my carver in 2007. I somewhat retired her 3 years ago but Im going to bring her back to life this winter. She was running great when she went to sleep for a few years but I have much more time now. I think I have forgotten most all I learned but should come back like riding a bike, or so I hope ; ) So even though my join date is 2007, trust me Im a newbie yet again.
Barb

Barb,

Welcome back I'm sure if you spend some time reading this forum you will learn a few new tricks and be right back into carving again. Good luck.

fwharris
11-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Barb,

Great to see you back again! You have a lot to get caught up on, do not hesitate to ask away!

IM2HAPPI
11-27-2012, 04:05 PM
TY CNC Carver ; )

IM2HAPPI
11-27-2012, 04:07 PM
TY fwharris, I remember you : )

badbert
11-27-2012, 06:56 PM
YES!! Another Michigander! Hi barb!

fwharris
11-27-2012, 07:28 PM
TY fwharris, I remember you : )

Thanks! Nice to see MsHappi :D..

DocWheeler
11-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi Barb, it seems like just last week I was wondering what happened to both you and Julie.
Glad to see you are still enjoying this type of activity.

ladjr
11-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Hi Barb welcome back

IM2HAPPI
12-01-2012, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the welcome backs guys. Ken, I was hoping she was still around , havent heard from her since I sent her a belt for her machine. She was attending college last I knew so maybe busy with that.

henry1
12-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Welcome back barb nice of people on here all willing to help

Rob Mulgrew
12-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Hello, I am new to Carvewright and the forums. I have only had my machine for 2 months. I experimented with alot of different methods of sign making but none gave me the opportunity to make a full time income. I knew I had to go to CNC carving but most CNC's were not affordable to me. Then I found Carvewright. I did some research and bought a carvewright. I caught on quick and realized that I can now operate a business using this machine. Even though this is not a commercial grade machine, it seems to me that if you maintain it properly then it should last. Everything you see on my website and facebook page I did with the Carvewright and most of them I made within 1 month of owning my Carvewright. I did make some beginner mistakes. One is when I was doing some maintenance, I took the cover off and it fell to the ground and ripped the LCD keypad cable right in half. My heart almost stopped. Well, it wasnt as bad as I thought. I ordered a new cable for under $20, got it within a week and put it on myself. I did have a few issues with the shipping costs for parts. Carvewright has to fix their shipping costs. Alot of the parts you will need are small and inexpensive like bearing sweeps but they charge you a minimum of $12.00 to ship something that could fit in an envelope with a stamp. I was not really happy about that and their unwillingness to work with me on another shipping option when I called them. If you want to know more about my experience then message me. Overall though very pleased thus far.
I have more photos posted on my profile page and alot more posted at https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Robs-Custom-Carving/123340064484182 and also at www.Robscustomcarving.com (http://www.Robscustomcarving.com)

Guskimo
01-09-2013, 05:15 AM
I just wanted to say hi from the state of Alaska. I have been working with my carvewright for about the last 2 weeks. I am curious how do I cut out a pattern so it shows only the shape of the project and not a square or rectangle. In any event I am looking forward to learning more about my system from all of you.:confused:

henry1
01-09-2013, 06:28 AM
I just wanted to say hi from the state of Alaska. I have been working with my carvewright for about the last 2 weeks. I am curious how do I cut out a pattern so it shows only the shape of the project and not a square or rectangle. In any event I am looking forward to learning more about my system from all of you.:confused:
Show your pattern and some one will set it up for you maybe I might help

CLS-customs
01-10-2013, 04:45 AM
Hello my name is Cliff House in the state of West Virginia and I just unpacked my carver system yesterday. Purchase the carburetor system along with scanning probe and so far all managed to do is scan lots of files in the artwork. Have not moved the system out to the wood shop to begin carving

lostparts
01-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Hello My name is Rick, I am located in Western NC. A buddy of mine and myself pooled our cash and purchased a new machine just before Christmas. So far we have been blown away by its capabilities! Might get a second machine soon!

In love with it!

mtylerfl
01-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Hi Rick. Welcome to the family!

When you get a chance, please post some photos of your work in the gallery. We would love to see what you're making!

Northwoods Woodcrafter
01-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Hello Folks...

My name is Pete and I live on the Northern State line of Wisconsin. I'm not new here but I don't post a lot. I have an early machine that I believe I bought in 2006. I figure I'm overdue to introduce myself.

I wasn't using my CW much until I retired from a job in Worldwide Technology Engineering (IT) at Pfizer, Inc. and moved here to WI. I believe I was one of the first to carve a double-sided pattern of a fish (my first project). I believe I posted the pics years ago. Lately I've been carving lamp bases and some other things I sell on consignment at a local shop in Boulder Junction, WI. I also carve mantels/signs/etc for friends and neighbors. I'm currently trying to perfect carving silhouttes into bookmarks made from 1/16" cherry veneer.

I have had great advise from members of this forum over the years. You have saved me hours of time with your help and advise.

Warmest regards...

Pete

pgrinde
01-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Amazing what you can do with these machines. Days are too short . Retired in May. Do not know how I had time to work. usually get to Boulder Juction every summer for a day.

tierman
01-11-2013, 07:05 AM
Amazing what you can do with these machines. Days are too short . Retired in May. Do not know how I had time to work. usually get to Boulder Juction every summer for a day.

Paul, Good to see you on the forum, welcome! Share some of your work with us. Happy Carving!

Bigtyme
01-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Always great to meet good folks from the great state of Wisconsin. I just left my place on Lake Gogebic about 45 minutes from Boulder just over the border in Michigan. My wife loves Boulder Junction (especially the Cranberry Shop). We go to and through there a dozen times a year or so and I will be sure to keep my eye out for Pete's work.

cooter bec
01-11-2013, 10:17 AM
My name is Bruce Caliva, nick name Cooter Brown.
I bought my Carvewright in May 2012. I attended the conference in Houston but did not stay at the hotel and just went to the meeting and then my wife and I did our own thing. I have been carving a little mostly flags for the yard that you can see if you go to my web site. I also have made a few growth charts, and several rocking horses, using the CW. I enjoy the doing the work and look forward to doing more with the machine this year. I have a subscription to the project of the month, but have not done any of them. I have been on the forum since the conference but have posted very little but have learned a lot. Still learning how to navigate around. Actually I bought the CW because I used to do monogramming, and thought that what I new in that software would be about the same, now I know it is not even close. I am learning ever day. Anyway that's my story as I get more familiar with the forum I will ask more questions and answer any if I think I can help.

easybuilt
01-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Hi Bruce
So glad you are sticking with it and doing some projects. It is an awesome machine and can bring much joy to your wood working. Please post your projects when you finish them.

Northwoods Woodcrafter
01-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Always great to meet good folks from the great state of Wisconsin. I just left my place on Lake Gogebic about 45 minutes from Boulder just over the border in Michigan. My wife loves Boulder Junction (especially the Cranberry Shop). We go to and through there a dozen times a year or so and I will be sure to keep my eye out for Pete's work.

John... I have some carvings at Molly's. She and her fiance Scott Kimball ran a place called The Homestead just North of Boulder. Unfortunately, Scott passed away a few years ago... a tragic story, really. He and his father were two of the foremost experts in fish decoys (fish carved and weighted and fished as decoys for spearfishing in a darkhouse). You can still buy their books on the subject published in the mid eightees but they'll run you a bit of $. Molly now has another spot on M a bit closer to town. My wife loves the Cranberry shop as well. They recently expanded in a larger building.

If you stop at Molly's, tell her Pete sent you.

Bigtyme
01-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the info Pete. We will certainly stop and see Molly on our next time through. We have been to the new Cranberry Shop location and it is a good thing I can haul a few things back to the lake to keep the bride happy. I grew up not too far from Presque Isle and did spend a week there one night :)....

Dodadd1
01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Hi,I'm a Newbie but a long time lurker. I bought a Sears CompuCarve in 2011. At that time I had health problems first wit my neck and six months later I had back problems. I had surgery on both so now I'm getting around pretty good. A few weeks ago I unpacked the CompuCarve and after I set it up I was surprised it even ran. I carved about 7 projects and I'm very happy with it. I thought I would upgrade it but decided what the heck and just bought a new machine. It arrived two days ago and unpacked it and set it on a stand but haven't run it yet. I have them setup on Keter folding work tables.
My other hobby is koi. I have two ponds, one is 13,000 gallons and the other is 4200 gallons. To afford that hobby I started a online pond supply business. I sell pond supplies at koi shows and thought I could make a little money making yard signs and things related to Koi.
I thought I retired in 1994. lol
Bill

lynnfrwd
01-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Hi dod

We have another koi enthusiast here, but right now I can't think who it is.
Welcome!

Dodadd1
01-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I believe it's Terry.

TerryT
01-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Hi Bill,
Those older Compucarves are good machines also. I have two of them.

KenM is a pond guy also. I think he may be more into goldfish than koi. Kathy and I started Blue Iris Watergardens about 17 years ago. It kept us very busy for a lot of years but I'm getting too old to work that hard any more. We are doing mostly internet business now with only "Select" customers at our shop.

It was good to see you on our website the other day. If you have any questions or need any help just give me a call. You have my number.

tierman
01-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Pete, Check your PM

Northwoods Woodcrafter
01-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Bill and Terry (and other Koi Folks)... someone, awhile ago, shared a page with very nice grayscale photos. There are a lot of Koi. The page is http://www.nipic.com/design/25/1.html (http://www.nipic.com/design/25/1.html) . I've been wanting to carve some stuff but haven't fit them in yet.

Pete

TerryT
01-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks Pete. I have carved most of them. They turned out great.

edzbaker
01-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Go to google.com and click on "Images" then paste ALL of this into the search block. 灰度圖片 site:www.nipic.com
It will pull up only the grayscale images. Click the image you want, choose "Full size image" then right click and save as BMP instead of JPG.

dltccf
01-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Go to google.com and click on "Images" then paste ALL of this into the search block. 灰度圖片 site:www.nipic.com (http://www.nipic.com)
It will pull up only the grayscale images. Click the image you want, choose "Full size image" then right click and save as BMP instead of JPG.

Thanks, that is a great way to look through the fantastic images on that site. This definitely goes on the bookmark list.

dave

farmer
01-29-2013, 07:47 PM
I just got my machine before Xmas and have made several thing with it. I am still learning the software. I have been looking at the forum and am interested in the rotary jig if anyone can tell me where to get info on it? I live in Houston Tx and work for a machine shop running water jets,

chief2007
01-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Ed's selling the rotary jig on eBay.

Here is the link http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251218468067&index=12&nav=SEARCH&nid=23050371771

I think he has a website as well, but I can't remember what it is.

Cavallo
01-30-2013, 08:09 AM
Hi all. Name's Dan. A friend and I have been idly discussing CNC milling for quite awhile now, and considering many options. It could enable a great many projects we've dreamed up over the years. We keep coming back to the CarveWright. Cost is obviously a factor. The potential to do 12ft boards is another. Reliability, and the closed nature of the software keep putting us off, however. I thought it might be wise to lurk here awhile, ask some questions, and engage the community a bit.

dbfletcher
01-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Welcome. And that would be wise indeed! You will be hard pressed to find a more active and friendly community than this forum. I am still amazed at the lengths members are willing to go here to help each other out.

Please feel free to express any concerns or ask any question you may have. Every effort is made to give accurate and honest answers and opinions on this machines capabilities as well as shortcomings.

henry1
01-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Welcome cavalo you will enjoy it here and lots of help in this forum

Bigtyme
01-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Welcomw Cavallo....I would like to echo what has been said in the previous posts. This is a great forum with really super folks who are always willing to help in any way they can. There is a lot to learn here and it will make using a CW much more fun and productive....

chief2007
01-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Hi all. Name's Dan. A friend and I have been idly discussing CNC milling for quite awhile now, and considering many options. It could enable a great many projects we've dreamed up over the years. We keep coming back to the CarveWright. Cost is obviously a factor. The potential to do 12ft boards is another. Reliability, and the closed nature of the software keep putting us off, however. I thought it might be wise to lurk here awhile, ask some questions, and engage the community a bit.

You will find pros and cons from people about the Carvewright, but it really is a great machine, easy to learn, and what it can carve is fantastic. I have personally done projects of 7 feet or so, and as long as you use roller stands to support the wood on each side of the machine, you shouldn't have a problem. Yes you can have some problems here and there, but that happens with any machine. With proper care and maintenance these machines runs great.

Here is the link to the support page http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/

Just about everything you need is there for maintenance and troubleshooting
Take a look - look at the maintenance area where videos are even posted for doing maintenance, etc.

And as Doug mentioned, you have the forum as well, with the knowledge and experience from the senior members to help you along you way of becoming a carver

Hope to see you carving soon

Steve

henry1
01-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Chief was just going to ask were to find tip and tricks and you did for me thank you Now I no were to look lol , it been a while did not remember how to get there , when senetity set in oh well thx again

fwharris
01-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Dan,

Welcome!! Ask away!!

Rob Mulgrew
01-30-2013, 01:01 PM
I purchased my CW 4 months ago and it has been a mostly positive experience for me. Alot of the problems I ran into were problems I created by not fully knowing the machine. I was once cleaning out the side of my machine and I took the screws out of the cover and went to the other side of the machine to loosen the screws on the other cover and before I knew it the cover on the other side fell off and ripped the LCD cable right in half. I thought it was major deal but I just ordered a new cable, got it within a week and put it on myself and was back running.
Take the time to learn the machine, spend time in the forum and you will save yourself alot of time and money.
Rob

Cavallo
01-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Here is the link to the support page http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/

Just about everything you need is there for maintenance and troubleshooting
Take a look - look at the maintenance area where videos are even posted for doing maintenance, etc.

And as Doug mentioned, you have the forum as well, with the knowledge and experience from the senior members to help you along you way of becoming a carver

Excellent resource. I had checked out the site, but never seen that part. I wonder - has anyone assembled a similar, logically laid out list of things over and above the manufacturer's recommendations? The sorts of things that people who've learned the ropes look back on and wish they had done differently at the outset? I see a lot of good info scattered throughout the forums, but I have yet to find a master list of essentials (like adding dust collection, for example.)

Cavallo
01-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Take the time to learn the machine, spend time in the forum and you will save yourself alot of time and money.
Rob

That's my hope!

lynnfrwd
01-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Excellent resource. I had checked out the site, but never seen that part. I wonder - has anyone assembled a similar, logically laid out list of things over and above the manufacturer's recommendations? The sorts of things that people who've learned the ropes look back on and wish they had done differently at the outset? I see a lot of good info scattered throughout the forums, but I have yet to find a master list of essentials (like adding dust collection, for example.)

That was the initial purpose of this sticky: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17447-What-Every-Newbie-Should-Know

Cavallo
01-31-2013, 05:59 AM
That was the initial purpose of this sticky: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17447-What-Every-Newbie-Should-Know

Well, excellent. It had looked like a sea of "RTFM" posts, until I read the whole thread. Good info. Thanks!

lynnfrwd
01-31-2013, 08:10 AM
Well, excellent. It had looked like a sea of "RTFM" posts, until I read the whole thread. Good info. Thanks!

Well, that's what was supposed to be a positive thing... gone bad. Especially, if RTFM means what I think it does.

Cavallo
01-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Well, that's what was supposed to be a positive thing... gone bad. Especially, if RTFM means what I think it does.

It does. :)

I just realized that the reason I missed the good bits is that the forum defaults to showing newest posts first, rather than last. This is the opposite of nearly every other forum I've ever joined. I changed my settings, and will now be seeing the beginnings of threads right from the get-go. Life is good.

Underdog
02-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Hi.

My name is Jim and I'm a carvaholic....

I'm the tech manager for a medium sized cabinet shop in my day job. I support our Cabinet Vision design software, as well as maintain and repair PCs and shop machines- including our 5x10 KOMO CNC router. I'm the sole user of AlphaCAM and ArtCAM. Unfortunately I don't get the chance to play with ArtCAM and the KOMO often enough, so I bought a used Carvewright model B yesterday, and I'm waiting for it to be shipped. When it comes in I plan to install the upgrade belts, and purchase either a Rock Chuck or the CarveTight spindle.

Looking forward to making sawdust with this machine.

Any advice is quite welcome!

fwharris
02-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Jim,

Welcome to the CW forum! Hoping your machine makes it's trip safely so you get off to a great start.

Take the time to read up here and also on the support section on the main CW site.

Looking forward to you sharing your cnc background and projects!!

jeremyc
02-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Hey everyone.. My name is Jeremy.. I've had my carvewright bout 3 weeks now.. Just wanted to say I love it.. I've been lurking around the forum reading as much as I can and just ordered a dc insert for my machine.. Just wanted to say hi and what an excellent forum.

WoodenWizard
02-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the VORTEX!! Glad you could join us. When you get a chance show us some of the fruits of your labor.

Dave

TerryT
02-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Hi Jim and Jeremy! Welcome to the club!

Underdog
02-04-2013, 08:09 PM
So do you all know how many Carvewright owners are there in Georgia? Is there a way to find out how many there are near me?

badbert
02-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Hi.

My name is Jim and I'm a carvaholic....

I'm the tech manager for a medium sized cabinet shop in my day job. I support our Cabinet Vision design software, as well as maintain and repair PCs and shop machines- including our 5x10 KOMO CNC router. I'm the sole user of AlphaCAM and ArtCAM. Unfortunately I don't get the chance to play with ArtCAM and the KOMO often enough, so I bought a used Carvewright model B yesterday, and I'm waiting for it to be shipped. When it comes in I plan to install the upgrade belts, and purchase either a Rock Chuck or the CarveTight spindle.

Looking forward to making sawdust with this machine.

Any advice is quite welcome!

Dust collection! Huge factor on performance for these little machines. Check out the RingNeckBlues DC-Insert, that fwharris makes! It just sucks! There is another chuck option. One that you may be more familiar with. beregrud (a member here) and at least one other, I know of, have been able to adapt ER16 and ER20 chucks to their machines. If you have access to someone who can do the machine work. It may be a much more economical path. Read everything you can on the Carvewright website, tips and tricks and maintenance. Watch their awesome videos. When you get that machine It will need a good lubing. Make sure the flexshaft is well lubed. Most beginners don't do this, and it is a $75 lesson if it melts! Perform a complete maintenance on it before firing it up. When I got mine, the FFC cable had been knocked down out of position, and shorted out the power supply. Something as simple as a loose cable, can cost money and drive you insane!! When you do get ready to run it. Perform head pressure checks, and check the board calibrations, with and without the rubber O-ring on the Brass sensor. Check all of the sensor readings and perform the user tests. Record all of your data and keep it as a base line reference. Make sure there is no wobble or looseness in both the Z and the Y trucks. Make sure that they both move smoothly and quietly. Mark all of the bearings. So you can see if they stop moving. And most important advice I can give you... Try to come here each day! Look at other peoples projects and comment on them. Post picture of your set up and share your files. We will look them over and let you know if there any problems with them. And if you need help with anything, anything at all, just ask! You will be overwhelmed with the generosity and urgency that we try to solve every problem around here! It won't be long before you will be helping others, and that's why we do it! You having both CNC and cabinet experience, I can not wait to see some of your projects!

badbert
02-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Hey everyone.. My name is Jeremy.. I've had my carvewright bout 3 weeks now.. Just wanted to say I love it.. I've been lurking around the forum reading as much as I can and just ordered a dc insert for my machine.. Just wanted to say hi and what an excellent forum.

3 weeks! Where are the pictures?! I am sure you have made something by now! Don't be shy, show us your work!

Underdog
02-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the welcome and advice. I've been nodding off to the maintenance tutorials ever since making the payment last night...

If a full set of tools is coming with the router to go with the original chuck, do you think it's best to just get the Carvetight spindle? If I'm not missing something those tools come with a steel sleeve or something heat shrunk to them, yes?

lawrence
02-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Welcome Jim and Jeremy!

Took you long enough Jim ;) (I've been drooling over his amazing work on another forum for years) I've sent you an email with my phone number and would be happy to answer as many questions as I can-

Welcome to you both!
Lawrence

liblakelady
02-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Ready for a lady on the boards? I just set up my new carvewright c machine. I am reading the manuals and pouring over the forum. I have a stack of cedar boards waiting to be carved. Up till now I've done all my carving and sign boards by hand. Thank you all for the tips and tricks. I'm going thru the recommended pre-startup maintenance right now.

LibLakeLady

Wondering what the opinion here on the forum is regarding the extended warranty

easybuilt
02-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Carvewright carving. That is the best way to start, read everything and ask us any questions you run into. I am looking for to see your beautiful work.

ladjr
02-28-2013, 01:52 AM
I would also like to welcome you to the forum. Please ask any question you may have.

badbert
02-28-2013, 03:39 AM
Ready for a lady on the boards? I just set up my new carvewright c machine. I am reading the manuals and pouring over the forum. I have a stack of cedar boards waiting to be carved. Up till now I've done all my carving and sign boards by hand. Thank you all for the tips and tricks. I'm going thru the recommended pre-startup maintenance right now.

LibLakeLady

Wondering what the opinion here on the forum is regarding the extended warranty

Welcome to the community! Take your coat and shoes off, and make yourself at home! Show us some of your work. We would all love to see! You will find we are all love pictures!

Tommy321
02-28-2013, 03:42 AM
Just getting started obviously. Had my C machine for about 5 months now and it is a hobby for me. So far i've made a few purchased projects of the basic skill level that turned out surprisingly well considering my newbie status. I gave them to friends. I've also made a few grave markers for friends which is rather traditional where I'm stationed, and they came out remarkable. My greatest difficulty is that wood near my station is quite rare and difficult to come by. So all wood is low quality kiln dryed cut and joined wood. All wood comes in 3 sizes only and 32" x12" x 1" is the most common. Wood only comes in 16" 12" and 5" widths. Wood type is either yellow pine or Oak. I can get Beech for twice the price but I've only seen it twice in 3 years. mostly I would call this wood for shelving but that is just about the only wood available in my country. (I'm a chaplain for the U.S. Army stationed in a small but aggresive and volatile place. here now for 13 years, so i need a good hobby) so any suggestions you have for minimizing the amount of wood loss is really helpful. I often give away the leftover wood for people to heat their homes and cook food, but i currently throw away more wood than my project takes up. If anybody has a nice little plan for making sawdust logs that would be a great blessing to others.60403

chief2007
02-28-2013, 06:43 AM
Just getting started obviously. Had my C machine for about 5 months now and it is a hobby for me. So far i've made a few purchased projects of the basic skill level that turned out surprisingly well considering my newbie status. I gave them to friends. I've also made a few grave markers for friends which is rather traditional where I'm stationed, and they came out remarkable. My greatest difficulty is that wood near my station is quite rare and difficult to come by. So all wood is low quality kiln dryed cut and joined wood. All wood comes in 3 sizes only and 32" x12" x 1" is the most common. Wood only comes in 16" 12" and 5" widths. Wood type is either yellow pine or Oak. I can get Beech for twice the price but I've only seen it twice in 3 years. mostly I would call this wood for shelving but that is just about the only wood available in my country. (I'm a chaplain for the U.S. Army stationed in a small but aggresive and volatile place. here now for 13 years, so i need a good hobby) so any suggestions you have for minimizing the amount of wood loss is really helpful. I often give away the leftover wood for people to heat their homes and cook food, but i currently throw away more wood than my project takes up. If anybody has a nice little plan for making sawdust logs that would be a great blessing to others.60403

Thank you for your Service

You might try Woodcraft.com They will ship to APO/FPO addresses so might be another avenue for getting different woods. Can be pricey, but at least you can get some different woods form time to time.

Found this on making sawdust logs

1 Put a few inches of water in a large metal pot and bring the water to a boil on a stove.

2 Place the paraffin wax from leftover candles in a smaller metal container, and put the smaller container inside the pot so that the boiling water melts the wax.

3 Mix sawdust into the melted wax in a 1:1 ratio.

4 Scoop or pour the sawdust and wax mixture into a cupcake tray or any other container that will produce uniform shapes. You may wish to place some thin paper between the tray and each fire starter, so that you can easily remove them from the tray. If you don't have a tray, you can wait for the mixture to cool a bit, and make spherical clumps on a piece of paper.

5 Wait for the mixture to cool, then take the fire starters out of the tray. Simply light one with a match or lighter in a fireplace to produce a long-lasting flame that will ignite logs.

badbert
02-28-2013, 11:05 AM
The proper use of a sled can conserve wood!

liblakelady
02-28-2013, 09:13 PM
I
The proper use of a sled can conserve wood!

I feel stupid asking what you mean by a sled

chief2007
03-01-2013, 07:50 AM
I

I feel stupid asking what you mean by a sled

No - please don't feel that way, everyone has that moment and no questions is a stupid question except for the one not asked.

A sled is use to hold the wood you want to carve, it extends the wood the 3.5 inches on each side so you don't need to waste as much wood, and keeps the project under the roller to prevent any "lines" from appearing in the carving.

Look at this link it explains the use of a sled and carrier boards - http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Apr08.pdf

PCent
03-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Hi everyone - my name is Peter and after a lot of research and deliberation I purchased a carvewright. I found an old compucarve with less than an hour on it for a very good price and i went for it. I figure even if i have to upgrade it to a "C" it will be cheaper to do it that way.

I appreciate how welcoming and helpful everyone has been so far. I'm hoping I can use this for a couple of different applications I've been dreaming about. Thanks again and nice to meet you guys.

badbert
03-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Welcome to the community!

DCHeels
03-02-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm new here also. Been doing a lot of research on systems. Haven't found a suitable used CW near me in NoVa. I missed the Valentine's Day special. Any idea when there will be another sale?

dltccf
03-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Welcome, I live in maryland but travel to nova every week now for work. I can't tell you about sales, but you are welcome to drop by and ask questions or if you want to see one in operation.

Dave

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

phxdatadr
03-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Just getting started here . I got my version C last friday. I am loving it and learning alot .

phxdatadr
03-05-2013, 02:18 PM
And it gets hot in the summer .. but I need to learn as much as I can before the heat, ( because it is in my garage) Building my shop out back by the pool, (that building was a bar), untill mow :).

TerryT
03-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Welcome to the forum. The guys here can answer most any questions you might have.

RyAngel
03-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Just got signed on with CW forum and looking for a pre-owned carvewright and once that hits my shop, I am sure that I will have a ton of questions. I look forward to talking with you all!

henry1
03-05-2013, 07:37 PM
yes yes Welcome to the community!

chief2007
03-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Just got signed on with CW forum and looking for a pre-owned carvewright and once that hits my shop, I am sure that I will have a ton of questions. I look forward to talking with you all!

This is one of 3 listed on Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-compucarve-carvewright-/230940481260?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item35c52016ec

appleguy
04-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Hello all.

After watching allot of YouTube and Google searches on CNC machines; I stumbled on Carvewright. I really liked what I saw and read, but wanting to have my eyes fully open about Carvewright. I searched for all the negative stuff I could find. The ease and possibilities over shadowed the negative for me. I guess I would have to find out for myself, so I placed my order this past Sunday under the Easter Special package. I’m now playing with the design program on my laptop while I wait for delivery of my new Carvewright.

Antioch, CA

fwharris
04-09-2013, 11:41 PM
appleguy,

Welcome to the CW and forum!

Just in case you have not seen them yet, make sure you check out the tutorials and tips and tricks found under the support section on the CarveWright web site. Lots of great information to get you started with both the software and machine.

Let us know if you have any questions and looking forward to seeing some of your carvings.

Rocky1
04-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Hello allow me to introduce myself my name is Rocky and I just bought the Carvewright machinge last month still having a bit of trouble learning how to design stuff atm though. Anyone in the Toledo ohio area or close that I could meet up with and get a few pointers on how to use this think before it becomes a boat anchor

appleguy
04-14-2013, 12:46 AM
Well I've done it.I spent the whole day reading the pdf manual, watching the DVD, and seting up the machine and laptop. I even installed the Erwin Dustcollector. Tomorrow I hope to fire it up with the tutorial project 1.

Bert
Antioch, CA

Capt Bruce
04-14-2013, 06:53 AM
All the best Bert and welcome to the Forum. Enjoy your system now that you've wisely read the posts and keep us up to date on your progress with projects. Happy sawdust!

ladjr
04-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Best wishes and great success with your CW

TerryWinslow
04-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Hi everyone.. I've had my CarveWright for a while now, and have been lurking on the forums and found that there is a never ending supply of great ideas, advice and project ideas. Thank you all for sharing your expertise with us newbies..

I have about 70 hours on my machine and it finally broke. Hopefully I can get it running again.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself to you all. Happy Carving! :D

CNC Carver
04-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Terry sorry to hear your machine is down. What seems to be the problem? Need help?

dcrike
04-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Hello, I have owned my "C" system for about a month and I have carved a grand total of two projects. I have CNC machining experience but there is still a lot of learning I need to do. I am located just south of Indianapolis, Indiana.

fwharris
04-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Hello, I have owned my "C" system for about a month and I have carved a grand total of two projects. I have CNC machining experience but there is still a lot of learning I need to do. I am located just south of Indianapolis, Indiana.

Welcome to the community! Feel free to ask any questions you might have and make sure you take advantage of all the resources on the CarveWright site..

ladjr
04-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your retirement.

Leo
Life is to short carve something today

dongear
05-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Hi. I have been away from carving, and the forum, for a long time. Just got my machine all fixed up, and I'm ready to do some carving again. However, I have switched from a PC computer to an Apple. I don't seem to be able to open or read the patterns I had saved. Can anyone help me along and explain what I need to do to use my patterns?

Thanks,
Don

RedLeg
05-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Hello! Just purchased a used CW version B yesterday off CL with 17 hours. Came with plenty of accessories, Scanning Probe and Decorative bits set along with other spares and parts. Got her re-registered and starting the learning curve. Located in Northern VA. Will use my Lumber Smith sawmill to feed my Shopsmith's Jointer, Planer and Dust Collector to feed my CarveWright... everything justifies everything else ;^) Leif

ladjr
05-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are a wood worker all ready. Great to have you here.

Rbacak
05-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Hello Everybody! I'm Roger from Irving, Texas.. I purchased my machine a couple months ago. I have been lurking the forum and soaking up all the info I can. It is awesome the way you guys share your knowledge and support! I have been free hand carving signs for a few years now but got tired of one day totally amazing myself to the next day destroying every board I touched. I have to admit the horror stories I read about the Carvewright made me hesitant but I finally came to the conclusion it's all about maintenance. As a fire apparatus mechanic for the local fire dept, I know maintenance! My specialty is electronics. This was a no brainer. My learning curve is telling the machine what I want it to do. But with the information available here, that shouldn't be a problem... Thanks guys, ya'll are awesome!

Roger

fwharris
05-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Welcome RedLeg and Rbacak!

Looking forward to seeing your creations! We are here to help you on your carving trip!!

Firefighter938
08-06-2013, 06:38 PM
My name is Keith, I am a full time Firefighter looking for a hobby / B-job opportunity. I ordered my machine last Thursday and have cleared a spot in my garage / shop and am waiting to get this thing rolling! Any advise help would be GREAT! Looking to make signs for local campers or local campgrounds just for a start.

Old Salt
08-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Welcome!
Down load software, read all the manual, tips and tricks and stay with the form.
glad you came here first, Gary

gekepko
08-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Hello, my name is Gary. I've had my carvewright for a couple of months now. I am a furniture refinisher by trade and work part-time at the local Woodcraft store. I teach a finishing class at the store about every other month. I also teach a class on making longbows - a bamboo backed hickory longbow to be specific - also about every other month. My hobbies are pen turning and making walking canes.

Along with my basic carvewright, I've purchased the Centerline Text and Conforming Vectors software. What I plan to do is make relief portraits.

I've learned a lot by visiting this forum and I thought it was time to hopefully make some positive contributions myself.

Gary
www.militarypensplus.com

Drow
08-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Hello, My names Bill, Just purchased a CW and waiting for delivery which should be in two days .Bought the Sign making kit( build your own) from the website.
Just a little about me.
I'm 67 going on 68, retired Master Clock Maker. Ran my own Antique Clock shop (repair and sells) for over 15 years. I keep in business when others were going under by fully restoring antique clock cases. That's where I got into scroll sawing and working with the scroll saw now for the past ten years. All total I've been doing wood working now for over 35 years. Now if I had this 20 years ago, I won't have turned down so many clock cases that had broken or missing parts that would take 2 arms and a leg to buy and months to fine if ever.

Bill

eelamb
08-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Gary and bill, welcome. Lots of nice carvers here and they are always willing to help, so just ask if you have a problem or question.

badbert
08-28-2013, 01:35 AM
Welcome!! A Master Clock Maker and a Master finisher!! Well welcome to the party, if you need anything just ask! This is the easiest forum to get along on. We LIKE newbies!

TerryT
08-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Welcome to you both, Gary and Bill, I'm looking forward to seeing some of your projects. Sounds like you both have a lot to offer the forum.

lawrence
08-28-2013, 08:33 AM
yep, welcome Gary and Bill! (and sorry I missed your post until now Gary)

You are likely to have questions- we're here to help whenever we can - I promise you that there
are no dumb questions here

Lawrence

rcdages
08-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Welcome to you both Bill and Gary.

Chip
09-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Greetings all,

My real nickname is Chip and was lucky enough to get to use it as my "whatever that is called in the upper left hand corner".

This is the first forum I have ever joined having only looked at forums for app. the last 15 years. I bought my Carvewright 2 months ago and finally turned it on last night, uploaded a file to run, and everything went well until..., the spindle would not turn on.

Well, on over to the Carvetight forum to get some real expert advice! (anyone else in the NW Houston area?)

aokweld101
09-16-2013, 10:39 PM
welcome, there is like what was said ...no dumb questions here.... I've already asked them all.. and probably have some more...Happy Carveing !!!

compo
09-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Hello all, I'm Tom and I just purchased a model B this last weekend from Don Elder in TN. The motor brushes are burned out but I'm confident that this unit will be running in the next few weeks.
My main reason for buying is for making patterns for glass casting. it's great to be here and I'm sure I'll learn alot from the community!

fwharris
09-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Welcome!

Looking forward to seeing your creations. Make sure you visit the "support" section on the CarveWright site. There is a lot of great information on learning the machine and software functions. And of course here :D!

hoffmans
09-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Hey Bill you are just a baby yet, I am 94 and on my 3rd cw and enjoying every day in my shop. Happy carving Bill.

Old George (nowdodo@hotmail.)

GVigue
09-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Hello, Gary from Maine here. I ordered my CW and expect to receive it tomorrow. I purchased a new unit with the heavy duty belts, the 11 bit set and one 3/16 carving bit. I'm not sure if the CW comes with the 1/8" cutting bit because I've read two different versions of what's included. I expect I will need that 1/8" cutting bit though. I hope to make some plaques, signs and frames at first. I have experience with a variety of image manipulation software packages and have worked with 3D CAD too so I'll probably create lots of patterns. I downloaded the free designer software and made a dozen or so already. I'll be buying a couple of the CW add on softare packages once I get my feet wet. The pattern modeling suite and the STL importer are currently on my short list followed by centerline text. The scanning probe is interesting too but I'm guessing that the images it creates will need a lot of cleaning up. I would like to hear your opinions on the scanning probe and the software add ons.

Oh and active and retired military - you can get 10% off your CW at home depot and Lowes. They both offer free shipping too but they will charge sales tax.

mtylerfl
09-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Hello and Welcome! You are going to have a lot of fun and it sounds like you are well on your way already!

The 1/8" Cutting bit doesn't come with the machine anymore, and you WILL need it...so, buy TWO of them...when one gets dull (or gets dropped and breaks) you will have a convenient spare on hand.

I LOVE the Scanning Probe! The results are amazing and if you setup the scan properly, you will have very minor cleanup and get nice patterns the easy way. I sometimes sculpt an item with Polymer Clay (Sculpey or Premo brands), bake it hard in the oven and scan my creation. Again, results are amazing and it's super simple to do. A lot of folks scan dollar store trinkets and/or yard sale "finds" and make patterns from those. A bonus with the Scanning Probe is you receive the CarveWright Pattern Editor software too. Good for editing patterns, but also can be used for exporting your CW pattern models as universally compatible STL files (after you invest in the STL Importer, the STL Export feature automatically becomes available within the Pattern Editor software). You can build an entire business selling patterns to CW users as well as other CNC users if you have the STL versions of your creations.

So many possibilities...and all of them FUN! (..and potentially profitable too!)

BTW...my wife is from Maine...born in Lincoln, ME. We visit the family camp at least once a year for R&R at Madagascal Pond near Lee and Lincoln.

fwharris
09-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Gary,

Welcome aboard!

I agree with Michael on the scanning probe and pattern editor software that comes with it. It does an excellent job of copying the finest detail if you use the highest scan settings. Looking forward to seeing some of your creations...

GVigue
09-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Well that's good news about the scanning probe, I'll get one on order before long in that case. Michael, Lincoln, Maine is about 90 miles north of me but I've been up there many times. I was a consultant for Lincoln Pulp & Paper's engineering dept. There are a lot of lakes and ponds up there, in fact there's a sign when you enter Lincoln town that says "Home of 13 Lakes". Hey maybe I can sell them a new sign!
Thanks for the info regarding the 1/8th bit also. I managed to get one on order yesterday. I also ordered a B&D Workmate since I have limited bench space. I've yet to see if it will work, but I am thinking I could put a couple of 2X4's on the bottom of the CW then clamp it in the WorkMate when I'm carving. This would give me a multi purpose stand for the CW. We'll see if that works out - either way I needed the workmate so no harm in taking a chance. Seems like my greatest hobby lately is spending money...

Thanks for the welcome folks and I look forward to talking to you in the future!

jvans
09-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Hi all, I'm Judy, and not really a newbie to CW, since I bought my first machine in 2009, but I am a newbie to forums.

I just bought my second machine and would like some advice. What possible probs, if any, will I have. My first machine is a B and this one is a C. I have upgraded to the CT system on the B machine.

On the new machine I want to install a dust collection system. At the moment I'm running these in our garage and don't have room to put in a dust collector so I will be using a shop vac. I'm very impressed with the dust devil design, but I want to make sure that I can ground the shop vac and not fry the circuit board.

thks :D

Capt Bruce
09-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the Forum Judy,
You and I are running similar units and I really endorse your plan to use dust collection. I've helped several users install simple single unit roll around dust collectors to various collector intakes all with 4" flexible hose. Take a look at Harbor Freight tools or just search for portable dust collectors. Not much bigger than a shop vac but a much greater volume of air being pulled through them and makes all the difference in chip collection as well as being designed for continuous running. Again welcome and let us see what you're carving please.

jvans
09-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Thanks Capt Bruce. I did a search on harbor freight and I think I will try the portable dust collector.

Here is a couple of carves that I've done. I took one of Michael Tyler's tip and tricks when I first started and turned it into what I call the first step in what I want to do with my CW. I want to do lithopanes and carvings with light boxes. I've got an arched version of the elk which I want to incorporate a led strip into. I was decorating our master bedroom and I made the wall shelf adding lighting over the bed.

unitedcases
09-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Very impressive for your first carves. Good job.

Geomoo1
09-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Great Carves. I really like the elk carving.

TerryT
09-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Vewry nice work!

jvans
09-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks everyone. I see so many possibilities using the CW and thanks to this forum and the tips and tricks I've learned a lot and hope to learn so much more.

:D

Chip
09-28-2013, 09:29 PM
You're off to a good start! Good job.

Capt Bruce
09-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Very impressive projects indeed and your finishes look great as well! Nicely done

tierman
09-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Very nice work, Judy

Mazzmn
10-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Hi there, we have a new carvewright at our maker space in Rochester, Mn. Looks like a very impressive machine. We built a stand for it and have our first carving here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Tool-Stand-from-an-Old-File-Cabinet/

Mazz

Mazzmn
10-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Greetings everyone!
I'm Tim from Rochester, Minnesota, our Maker space (The Rabbit Hole) just received our new CarveWright C. Seems very impressive and we're looking forward to getting skilled at it. It's good to know there is an active community out here to call on!

For our first effort we created a toolstand for the CarveWright out of an old filing cabinet. Then for our first carve we created a sign for the workshop.
I documented the creation of the toolstand here:

fwharris
10-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Welcome and good job on making your stand for the CarveWright.

mtylerfl
10-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Greetings everyone!
I'm Tim from Rochester, Minnesota, our Maker space (The Rabbit Hole) just received our new CarveWright C. Seems very impressive and we're looking forward to getting skilled at it. It's good to know there is an active community out here to call on!

For our first effort we created a toolstand for the CarveWright out of an old filing cabinet. Then for our first carve we created a sign for the workshop.
I documented the creation of the toolstand here:

Hi Tim.

So glad you are joining the CarveWright Community! Looking forward to what else you guys come up with and really enjoyed your creativity and 'repurposing' on the file cabinet toolstand project!

lestrobel
10-31-2013, 10:14 AM
:p Just purchased a used Carvewright and have been busy with using up the scrap I have in the barn. As I look for quality material(s) are there any types of wood I should stay away from? How long should the 1/16" carving bit last?

Glad to be a part and looking forward to my new hobby now that I'm retired after 30 years in the Army! Larry

Capt Bruce
11-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Good morning Larry and welcome to the Forum,

First our thanks for your 30 years of service to our nation. It is sincerely appreciated. I think you'll find you're among a fine group of people across our country and other countries as well and they all stand ready to assist you when and if you have a question, a problem or would like to show us what you are carving. We'll constructively critique and often praise what you craft because we understand what it takes to design, carve and finish this type of object better than anyone.

Enjoy what you carve, interacting here on line and all there is to learn from the Forum members and the home team in Houston at LHR. It's a fun ride and again Welcome Aboard!

Blackrain4xmas
11-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Hi everyone!
I've been dreaming of getting a Carvewright for years now, and am getting closer each month.

If someone lives in the Akron, Ohio area and wouldn't mind showing off theirs, I'd love to come by and see one in action before I buy. Till then, my dreams continue, and get bigger w each video and pic I see!

Thanks,
Scott Malensek
owner,
The Stew Pot Kitchen
23 South Main St
Akron, Ohio 44308:D

alexanderbuzz
12-28-2013, 08:31 AM
I just found this sight and I like what I have been reading. I'm buying a Compucarve next week and very excited about using it. I will have to find time to use it.
I have been building furniture and also remodeling for 35 years.
I have my own sawmill which is a Hud-son 230 and have had it for 4 years. I harvest lumber on my brothers place in Rye Texas, Hickory,White Oak,Red Oak,Magnolia,Sweetgum,Yellow pine and holly and a few chestnut trees.
I love building hope chest and blanket seat chest and have been looking at the compucarve for about 5 years now.
I have carved free handed on the chest and pretty good but I think the compucarve will take me to a new level, if you notice I just ramble on when it comes to working with wood.
I also work two weeks on and two weeks off on a production platform in the gulf of mexico and have been doing this since 1975 after serving 6 years in the United States Marine Corps.
When I get home I go to Rye Texas for a week and harvest lumber I bring it home and air dry it. I also run SIX MILE PIC-N-PAC PRODUCE out in six mile it's six miles from Port Lavaca Texas where the public comes out and pick fresh produce, I also sell hardwood lumber firewood and barbecue wood so I don't have a lot of time for anything else but I will make time for the compucarve.
More to come later sorry about the rambling on and Have a great New Years.

Capt Bruce
12-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Welcome aboard the Forum Alexanderbuzz,

You are a busy man to say the least and it sounds like you touch upon most every aspect of woodworking from the tree to the finished product. We're sure you will find the CarveWright/CompuCarve a great addition that can add a whole new level to your craft.

My personal thanks for your years of service in the US Marine Corps from a brother Navy Seabee. Semper Fi and Can Do makes quite a team.

I think you will find the CW Forum an enjoyable and invaluable part of your woodworking as many of us do and your first best place to ask questions and learn from all the knowledgeable users out here. Learn to search the Forum, study the Tips and Tricks and above all enjoy the process. If you have access to a PC or laptop out there on your Platform you can even be planning projects in Designer and have them ready to carve when you come ashore to make the most of your (perhaps limited) free time.

Again welcome and glad to have you join us. Now make sawdust!

morningwood
01-01-2014, 10:26 AM
hello just getting into cw.this was my father in laws before he passed. ive already done a couple of carvings he had on the memory card,and now ready to upload some new carvingings.and learn this cool machine.looking forward to learning from all of you.any advise will be great.nothing like learning from the pros.. thanks mike

Capt Bruce
01-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Welcome to our Community and the CW Forum Mike,

We're pleased you have joined us to carry on your Father-In Law's legacy with the CW and create beautiful things. As many others will advise you please take the time to study the resources available on CarveWright.com from the Tutorials to Tips and Tricks. These will take you through design, machine set up and maintenance as well as creating several projects all the way through.

I think you'll enjoy all this group has to offer from advice, constructive criticism, praise for your hard won victories over the wood and just plain camaraderie. If you have a question, just ask and you will be surprised how many come on line with help and or questions to clarify just what you need. Enjoy, learn and we hope you thrive here among friends. And let us see what you carve please Mike. Again welcome aboard.

FWMiller
01-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've had a Carvewright for some time but haven't been been able to use it too much. I have an older CompuCarve version I got from Sears. So far I've done some basic name plates and simple stuff. Now that I'm trying to get better acquainted with the machine and do some more complex stuff I find that both my hardware and software are a bit obsolete. Planning on a few upgrades and have found that this forum has a lot of good information.

Frederick