PDA

View Full Version : Introduce Yourself

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ladjr
01-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Welcome Fredrick.

I believe you are correct, this forum has a tremendous amount of information and the people are always willing to help.
What kind of upgrades are you planning.

Leo

FWMiller
01-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks. I'm thinking of getting the carvetight spindle upgrade and version 2 software plus DXF importer and centerline text. I want some new bits but I need to wait until I upgrade the spindle.

Frederick

fwharris
01-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Mike and Frederick,

Welcome to the CW forum and CarveWright! Make sure you spend some time the the support area on the CW site
http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/

Lots great information to help you get going with the CarveWright..

mdburke
01-25-2014, 06:42 PM
Hi, my name is Mike and I recently got my CW machine and love it so far. I've done a LOT of reading and this forum has a lot of good advice and info and a lot of helpful members. I've routered signs for family and friends for 35 years and remember seeing the Sears machine and wanting one, so now I have one. Now I want to retire early so I can use it more.

Capt Bruce
01-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Welcome to the CW Forum Mike,

I had a similar reaction years ago when I first saw a CompuCarve at Sears and none of the Sears personnel could tell me a thing about it or show me any samples of work. The folks here in the Forum made me feel welcome and so I started saving my overtime pay until I could buy one and went with the CW version in 2009. It's been fun ever since as I keep learning something new every day.

And last year at my full retirement age it helped me make the decision not to do anymore years on the hamster wheel. We hope you'll get enough time really enjoy the process and the people you'll come to know here. Happy sawdust.

fwharris
01-25-2014, 07:28 PM
Mike,

Welcome to the CW and the forum. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Old Post
02-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Got some great news last week... my machine is due in tomorrow... I've been designing some Military Burial Flag Cases and can't wait to pump some out...How much luck have you guys had with making your own website.? My wife just lost her job and it looks like my Hobby will have to shift gears...

aokweld101
02-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Welcome Mike, I Have had the same reaction to, I had the warranty instead of a year I used it up in the first two weeks and went though $1,700.00 in wood. Going to go to Ohio from Florida, And going to get some different types of wood other than what we get here in the south. I can't wait to go. ......I wonder does that make me with addictive personality....or a carve alcoholic :confused: lol

easybuilt
02-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Got some great news last week... my machine is due in tomorrow... I've been designing some Military Burial Flag Cases and can't wait to pump some out...How much luck have you guys had with making your own website.? My wife just lost her job and it looks like my Hobby will have to shift gears...

I am looking forward to seeing your designs and take time to get your name out locally. It is a good way to start making your own web site so you understand what is is all about. Then as you get a better feel for what you need, check around for someone locally that can help you improve the SEO on your site. Good Luck and I wish you much success!.

SteveNelson46
02-10-2014, 10:30 AM

Welcome to the Carvewright family. Although frustrating at times, the machine will give you a lot of pleasure and enjoyment. Many use it as a business investment to make money but, it really was designed for hobby use. If you keep that in mind the frustrations should be minimal.

dawsonbradleydesign
02-21-2014, 06:28 AM
Hello everyone, I just purchased a used CW "C" machine and registration is now complete. I've been working with the software and trying to familiarize myself with all the features, which are many! Right now I'm just trying to figure out what to make first! Surfing around the forum it looks like there is a lot of talent posting here. Thanks in advance for letting me lurk and learn from your experiences. Brad

gotink
03-11-2014, 05:54 AM
just ordered one and i cant wait i hope to have a lot of fun with it :grin:

fwharris
03-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Welcome dawsonbradleydesign and gotink. Make sure you take the time to view and read the tutorials and tips and tricks newsletters. Great information to help you get started with the machine and software...

http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/tutorials/

rich
04-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Hello, have a question before a buy a machine. I am looking to make retirement plaques for my department we would like to use the department patch for the plaque is there any way to do this.

bergerud
04-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Post a picture of the patch and we can see how "carvable" it is.

SteveNelson46
04-01-2014, 11:07 AM
just ordered one and i cant wait i hope to have a lot of fun with it :grin:

Although frustrating at times, it will be the source of many hours of enjoyment and fun. Welcome to the forum.

CNC Carver
04-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Welcom Rich. Post a file with your patch logo and we can show you how it would look.

rich
04-02-2014, 06:32 AM
here is the patch

eelamb
04-02-2014, 06:38 AM
If a good quality pattern was made from that image, it would carve beautifully.

bjbethke
04-02-2014, 07:40 AM
here is the patch

Will this work for you?

Will this work for you?

rich
04-02-2014, 08:27 AM
that image looks great. i guess being that it can be done i'll buy a machine and play with it to learn how to make them.

rich
04-03-2014, 07:24 AM
looking at there systems and getting confused. what would i need to make the plaques. that thumbnail you showed looks great. any help in make purchase choices would be appreciated

Capt Bruce
04-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the Forum Rich,

Eddie has shared a great version of your CON ED patch that you can carve. Let me mention another method which I used with help from many of our colleagues here when I was new to the craft. It involves tracing your design on-screen using individual vector lines that will be carved at various depths with a V bit (60 or 90 degree) and Centerline lettering to make a design that is then infinitely scalable for different sized plaques. In addition to providing various sizes it is considerably quicker to do a vector carving.

Please see the DHS FEMA seal below as translated into a vector carving, and I'd be happy to coach you through creating something like this for your use.

68844 68845 68846

I have used these over the years for logos on plaques, signs and awards with the symbol ranging from 3 to 15 inches in diameter and it is consistently clean and quick. Just an idea for what it may be worth. Happy to advise you as everyone will be on what you may wish to purchase to be able to do what you want with your system out of the box.

lvwood1212
04-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Got my carve wright in November and now just received my rotary jig on ups today. few thing have been doing.

lvwood1212
04-09-2014, 12:00 AM
just learning how to post attachments. lol

edsingletary
04-12-2014, 02:07 PM
I'm learning the machine, software and this tap thingy. How much can an old man take.

edsingletary
04-12-2014, 02:16 PM
We welcome you to the CarveWright Community Forum.

Please introduce yourself so that we may get to know you.

Hi, I'm Big Ed and just starting on this road with CW. I hope it all works out. Already having frustrating problems on uploading projects to Flash. Spent 4 hours on the phone with Isreal and still not working right. I have a 3000 dollar paper weight in my shop for over a week. Hope they can figure this out or I'm not carving anything. OMG.

oscarl48
04-14-2014, 07:53 PM
Hello my fellow woodworkers. I've been doing woodworking as a hobby for over a decade and decided to take the plunge into the CNC world. This seemed to be a great way to start off. Ordered my carvewright on Thurs night and it arrived today. Kudos to the carvewright team on prompt delivery. Since I have a day job I will not be able to really try it out until this weekend. Can't wait to start playing with it. I am building a grandfather clock in black walnut now. Can't wait to put some bling on it.

blhutchens
04-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Welcome oscar, why stop with the bling you can carve the whole thing.

oscarl48
04-14-2014, 08:23 PM
thank you and lol. I think a little ambitious for a newbie like me on this tool. I've built the grandfather clock body already. I am finishing it up by adding stained glass for the sides and front now. I would like to add some carvings to it to add unique shadow lines. Once I have graduated to beyond learning how to turn on the machine I'll still have a lot of learning to do. But you are right. I can't wait to get some experience on it and really push the envelope.

fwharris
04-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Hello my fellow woodworkers. I've been doing woodworking as a hobby for over a decade and decided to take the plunge into the CNC world. This seemed to be a great way to start off. Ordered my carvewright on Thurs night and it arrived today. Kudos to the carvewright team on prompt delivery. Since I have a day job I will not be able to really try it out until this weekend. Can't wait to start playing with it. I am building a grandfather clock in black walnut now. Can't wait to put some bling on it.

Oscar,

Welcome to the CW world. Looking forward to seeing your grandfather clock with the added bling. If you have not done so make sure you visit the support section on the main CarveWright site. Lots of great information to help you get started..

blhutchens
04-15-2014, 05:54 AM
thank you and lol. I think a little ambitious for a newbie like me on this tool. I've built the grandfather clock body already. I am finishing it up by adding stained glass for the sides and front now. I would like to add some carvings to it to add unique shadow lines. Once I have graduated to beyond learning how to turn on the machine I'll still have a lot of learning to do. But you are right. I can't wait to get some experience on it and really push the envelope.

Yes, it is ambitious….I tried a couple wooden gear clocks before I should have. One looks cool but never got a tick tock out of it. Then bought a project from carvewright store it came out awesome and keeps time.

CNC Carver
04-15-2014, 07:06 AM
Capt bruce can you help with a seal I'm working on. I'd like to carve like your vector carving of Homeland Security.
Welcome to the Forum Rich,

Eddie has shared a great version of your CON ED patch that you can carve. Let me mention another method which I used with help from many of our colleagues here when I was new to the craft. It involves tracing your design on-screen using individual vector lines that will be carved at various depths with a V bit (60 or 90 degree) and Centerline lettering to make a design that is then infinitely scalable for different sized plaques. In addition to providing various sizes it is considerably quicker to do a vector carving.

Please see the DHS FEMA seal below as translated into a vector carving, and I'd be happy to coach you through creating something like this for your use.

68844 68845 68846

I have used these over the years for logos on plaques, signs and awards with the symbol ranging from 3 to 15 inches in diameter and it is consistently clean and quick. Just an idea for what it may be worth. Happy to advise you as everyone will be on what you may wish to purchase to be able to do what you want with your system out of the box.

fwharris
04-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Capt bruce can you help with a seal I'm working on. I'd like to carve like your vector carving of Homeland Security.

You will probably need to go through this and remove some of the vectors as most are doubled. I've already removed a lot of them. Just click on one delete and see how it looks. Un do if you need it..

CNC Carver
04-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Thanks Floyd what did you use to create vectors? Would like to learn to create them also.

fwharris
04-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks Floyd what did you use to create vectors? Would like to learn to create them also.

I took the image into adobe illustrator (AI) and did a auto trace. Then I exported it out as a dxf and imported that into designer. Like I said when the dxf was created it had double vectors on all so I started deleting them. I've done most of the outside ones and some of the ones on the inside area. Carved at a shallow depth it should be ok..

CNC Carver
04-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Thank you I'm cleaning up some of the double lines. Looks great!

nihad62
04-17-2014, 11:31 PM
Hello everyone. I ordered my Carvewright and I am eagerly waiting to receive it so I can join in on all the fun. I don't know how many cutting bits to buy, and what sizes. What are most of you using in the line of bits? I am planning on purchasing some of the projects from the carvewright store, do they usually tell you what bits to use? Your help is greatly appreciated!

fwharris
04-17-2014, 11:54 PM
Hello everyone. I ordered my Carvewright and I am eagerly waiting to receive it so I can join in on all the fun. I don't know how many cutting bits to buy, and what sizes. What are most of you using in the line of bits? I am planning on purchasing some of the projects from the carvewright store, do they usually tell you what bits to use? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the CarveWright community. Depending on what machine package you ordered and what add ons and accessories you got with it, the machine will come with the 1/16" tapered carving bit (this bit will be your main bit used for carving patterns) and possibly the 1/8" straight cutting bit (this bit will be used for doing project and parts cut outs). You should probably have one of each as a back up.

If you purchased centerline text software you will need the the 60* and 90* V bits and the 1/4" split collet. These bits are also very useful for doing vector (line) carvings.

If you plan on doing deep carves the long 1/16" and 1/8" bits will be needed.

Other bits you might consider are the 3/16" ball nose bit. This is used for doing pattern carves that do not have much detail.
The 3/16" straight bit is also used for doing cut outs and pocket cuts. The 3/8" straight bit is used for doing pocket cuts and is also used for some of the machine calibrations.

Hope this helps give you some idea on what you might be needing. While you are waiting for the machine spend some time in the support area http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/ on the main CarveWright site. Lots of great information to help get you started with the learning process of the machine and software. And of course ask any questions you might have here..

CW-HAL9000
04-17-2014, 11:56 PM
90 % of what you will do will include just the 1/8 inch cutting bit and the 1/16 inch carving bit. If you have centerline then you need the two v-bits. The only other bit I use is the 3/8 inch straight bit for pocket cuts and to cut out boxes. Do not buy the full bit set until you are sure you need them. Most buy them and do not use most of them. Buy an extra cutting bit as thats the one most prone to break especially if you do not watch your cut pass depth. The 3/16 cutting and carving bits are usefull and can be time savers but are not have to have bits.

lynnfrwd
04-18-2014, 12:42 AM
You guys are so awesome. You make my life easier. You are right on. Only thing else I will say is:
I hope Michael Tyler's conference session will finally include "Different Uses of the full bit set".
1/8 carving bit is only for soft material. Foam, balsa and bass wood.

Capt Bruce
04-18-2014, 04:40 PM
CNC Carver,

"Capt bruce can you help with a seal I'm working on. I'd like to carve like your vector carving of Homeland Security."

My apology that I did not catch your message as I've been off the Forum for a few days while travelling. Floyd has given you a beautiful version of the seal and you are well on your way. His stress on less is more and removing the doubled lines is key.

When I did the DHS seal I used Centerline text for all the lettering but if you don't have that tool you are on the right track with the MPC you already have.

Floyd, masterful work Sir and thanks for stepping in with this creation.

CNC Carver
04-21-2014, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the help Floyd the pattern made a great addition to this retirement gift. I'm still learning how to create good patterns and all help / tips is greatly appreciated. Capt Bruce I hope your taveling was good. Thanks for starting me down the right path.

fwharris
04-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Great to see you were able to carve it and always glad to help out. Great job on the carve!

Bruce,

Thanks sir! Still trying to figure out why and how to not get those double vector lines.

Capt Bruce
04-28-2014, 06:30 AM
CNC Carver,

You created a really handsome retirement plaque giving tribute to Lynn's 42 years of service and it is going to mean a lot in the years to come. I've done several like this for long serving colleagues and one of the nicest retirement celebrations I attended was for Mary Lynne. As I presented her with the plaque she gave me a kiss and a warm hug and then held it up for the audience to admire saying "I must have done something right because I finally got a Bruce plaque."

Well done Sir,

CNC Carver
04-28-2014, 06:43 AM
Thanks Capt Bruce. I was honnered to be asked to make such a gift. Thanks to all the help from Carvewright family giving me the confidence to make such a wonderful gift!

shasta
05-05-2014, 12:13 PM
hello, dont actually own a carvewright yet but plan on doing so this week, cant wait to start

hiddenbelow
06-19-2014, 09:09 PM
I own a CW and haven't really used it much but plan on doing some serious work on it over the remainder of the year. Will be searching through the forums learning as much as possible. I currently am a commercial contractor mainly working in the health and food industries.

Hope all is well.

Hidden

Miahl71
06-21-2014, 07:53 AM
Hello,
Just ordered the CX and I am looking forward to its arrival. Looks like any questions have already been answered in this forum, thanks
in advance.

fwharris
06-21-2014, 01:21 PM
I own a CW and haven't really used it much but plan on doing some serious work on it over the remainder of the year. Will be searching through the forums learning as much as possible. I currently am a commercial contractor mainly working in the health and food industries.

Hope all is well.

Hidden

Welcome to the CarveWright forum! Read up and ask away. Make sure you visit the support area on the main CarveWright site. It has a lot of information to get you started.

Happy Carving!

fwharris
06-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Hello,
Just ordered the CX and I am looking forward to its arrival. Looks like any questions have already been answered in this forum, thanks
in advance.

Welcome aboard! True most questions have been asked and answered but I am sure there are still a few out there that have not.

Make sure you visit the support area on the main CarveWright site. It has a lot of information to get you started.

Happy Carving!

Miahl71
06-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Welcome aboard! True most questions have been asked and answered but I am sure there are still a few out there that have not.

Make sure you visit the support area on the main CarveWright site. It has a lot of information to get you started.

Happy Carving!

Thank you for the welcome.

PSQRD
06-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Made my purchase last week and can't wait for the machine to arrive. I look forward to being part of and contributing to this community. I'm ecstatic both at what the machine can do stand alone as well as how it will contribute to the vast array of my other projects. Everyone here seems like good people who are willing to help each other out when needed, (which I'm sure I will need it!) and in time with experience I also look forward to doing the same. Hello Everyone!!

myshop1044
06-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Hi, Paul glad to meet another person from Louisiana, I'm from New Iberia, just a few hours from you. I'm a start U
member in Louisiana, if you need any help, drop me a line at myshop1044@yahoo.com.
perry Bonin

fwharris
06-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Paul,

Welcome to the CarveWright. Looking forward to seeing your work!

buck0182
07-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Hi I'm Mike, got my CW a few weeks ago.
I live in Metamora, IL
Been lurking around the site but thought I would jump in and introduce myself. I have managed to carve a few things out, but just starting to get a handle on the software and building up my shop.

DocWheeler
07-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Good to hear from you Mike.

Glad you found this forum; I'm sure that it will be usefull to you in the future.
As most of us have found, we learn from each other and then we share freely.

SteveNelson46
07-15-2014, 10:42 AM
I live in Metamora, IL
Been lurking around the site but thought I would jump in and introduce myself. I have managed to carve a few things out, but just starting to get a handle on the software and building up my shop.

Welcome to the forum. We're all here to help if we can so don't be afraid to ask.

fwharris
07-15-2014, 10:48 AM
I live in Metamora, IL

Mike,

Welcome to the CW and the CW forum. Looking forward to seeing your work!

mikelf
07-19-2014, 04:03 PM
hey everyone,
My name is Mike, I live in Saucier Ms. (on the coast) I am new to all of this. I am trying to make a cut out of a sign and letters, any help would b e appreciated. Also anyone living close to the coast to bounce ideas off. Looking forward to making new friends and carving for a long time, am disabled and can't live on what the govt. sends me.

THANKS Mike

mikelf
07-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Hi, My name is Mike F,

I am also a Newbie. Welcome.:) Looking for advice from veterans on here. Trying to learn photo carving.

fwharris
07-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the bump on your introduction, Welcome to the forum! Do not hold back on asking any questions you might have.

DocWheeler
07-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Welcome Mike.

Photo carving is a quite a bit harder than litho carving.
There are a few members here that do carving from pictures very well.
There is a Tips-N-Tricks, I think, about one method.

ktjwilliams
07-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Hello Mike ,,, There are write-ups on photo carving in Tips N Tricks ... I printed them for myself a while back but never got a chance to use em ... Anyway welcome to the forum and remember ,,, " the only dumb question is ,, The one you don't ask " ...

Kevin Williams

mikemi
07-28-2014, 08:32 PM
hey everyone,
My name is Mike, I live in Saucier Ms. (on the coast) I am new to all of this. I am trying to make a cut out of a sign and letters, any help would b e appreciated. Also anyone living close to the coast to bounce ideas off. Looking forward to making new friends and carving for a long time, am disabled and can't live on what the govt. sends me. THANKS Mike

mikelf,

Welcome to the Forum. I am sure you will have a lot of fun with your new machine and find help with most any question concerning the machine here on the forum.
This is a little off subject but I have a sister that lives in Saucier. Last time I was there was before the hurricane.
I am in the same boat about being disabled and trying to make it on what the government sends me. Thank God my wife still works.

Once again, Welcome
Mike
mikemi on the forum

CaptainGeorge
08-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Hello, This is my first time trying this and completely expect to screw up terribly, so be patient with me please. I think I am going to show as "captstory" here, I am not sure of that, nonetheless my real name is George. Boring I know, but true all the same. I purchased my machine in January and got delivery at the end of March or the first of April. I have done quite a bit and have learned a lot as I have gone. I am getting better, but I have a question about 60 degree cutters. The program is set to max the cutter out and I do not know how to change that. It is cutting the max track and I only want 1/2 that. I am certain there has to be a way to tell the machine to not cat as deep as that, I but can't find the way to do that. It is not giving me an option of setting the depth. I am certain it is me and I'm not seeing something that has to be obvious, but I'm not able to find it. HELP!!!

SteveNelson46
08-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Hello, This is my first time trying this and completely expect to screw up terribly, so be patient with me please. I think I am going to show as "captstory" here, I am not sure of that, nonetheless my real name is George. Boring I know, but true all the same. I purchased my machine in January and got delivery at the end of March or the first of April. I have done quite a bit and have learned a lot as I have gone. I am getting better, but I have a question about 60 degree cutters. The program is set to max the cutter out and I do not know how to change that. It is cutting the max track and I only want 1/2 that. I am certain there has to be a way to tell the machine to not cat as deep as that, I but can't find the way to do that. It is not giving me an option of setting the depth. I am certain it is me and I'm not seeing something that has to be obvious, but I'm not able to find it. HELP!!!

George,

If you are using "Centerline" you cannot set the depth. That is determined by the line spacing in the font. If you are assigning a bit to a vector then, select the vector and then use the "Select Bit" tool from the tools menu.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

CaptainGeorge
08-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Thank you, Can the multiple pass be used and if so how? It burns the bit out quick cutting that deep all at once. Centerline is the only option for this job.

DocWheeler
08-02-2014, 01:55 PM
George,

Here is a link (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?25771-Changing-the-depth-of-cut-in-centerline&highlight=depth) that might help.

SteveNelson46
08-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Thank you, Can the multiple pass be used and if so how? It burns the bit out quick cutting that deep all at once. Centerline is the only option for this job.

Almost all fonts are made up of two adjacent lines. The v-bit travels down the center between the two lines (centerline) and plunges to a depth that will fill the space between the lines. For effect and font enhancement the space between the lines will vary so the depth of the bit will vary creating the "fancy" font designs. That's why you can't set the depth. It would destroy this effect. There are some single line fonts but, if you study them carefully you will see that when they are carved they are not very fancy or detailed when compared to standard fonts.

EDIT: The 90 degree bit will not plunge as deep because the angle is greater and it will fill the space between the lines at a more shallow depth.

SteveNelson46
08-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Some carvers will use a third party program such as Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator to convert fonts to vectors and export them to a .dxf file. You can import them into the Designer and assign a bit to the depth you choose. I do it all the time to carve my signature on the back of most of my projects. It really isn't very pretty but, works well for a signature.

Capt Bruce
08-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Captain George,

Welcome to the Forum and we hope you are enjoying your new CW.

With regard to your concern using the Centerline Text function for those plaques may I suggest you consider another option if the letters are large. Take your same design for a plaque with its lettering and just change the type from Centerline to Raster carve. Save that change and look at the design again. Now select the text and click on the Invert button. What you will see are letters cut into the board like the photo below using the regular 1/16" carving bit. Try setting the lettering depth to see what looks good to you and creates nice shadows in the letters.

I'm using this method for a whole set of nine different large signs for outdoor display where they must be all the same font at about 3" tall and readable from the street. This was a 1/2 scale sample carved 4.5" tall by 22.5" wide for the customers approval with my bid. Just a suggestion.

70928 These will be finished dark oak with gold filled letters and coated with high gloss spar varnish for good weather and UV resistance.

abetrman
08-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Hello All - ABETRMAN (Johnny) here. Just purchased my CW. Looking forward to learning and enjoying this craft. Thanks in advance for the welcomes and the lessons I will learn from everyone.

blhutchens
08-02-2014, 11:32 PM
Welcome Johnny

abetrman
08-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Thank you!!

fwharris
08-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Hello All - ABETRMAN (Johnny) here. Just purchased my CW. Looking forward to learning and enjoying this craft. Thanks in advance for the welcomes and the lessons I will learn from everyone.

Johnny,

Welcome to the CarveWright and forum. Make sure you visit the support section http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/ on the main CarveWright site. Lots of helpful information to get you up and carving.

Geomoo1
08-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Johnny, welcome to the CarveWright family. I said family because that is how I view the people on this forum.

CaptainGeorge
08-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Thank you very much. I truly thought it was me. Thanks again.

lynnfrwd
08-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Capt. Bruce...I love the view from your back deck!!

flhxlee
08-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Hello all,
new but not... i've had the carvewright for a year or so when i was building cabinets. i have a remodeling company here on padre island tx, but got so busy (booked for 2.5 years as of now) i had to start subbing out the cabinets again. So now the carvewright will just be for me. but anyways my computer crashed and i lost the program and cant for the life of me figure out how to get it going again... any help would be great. thanks LEE

fwharris
08-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Hello all,
new but not... i've had the carvewright for a year or so when i was building cabinets. i have a remodeling company here on padre island tx, but got so busy (booked for 2.5 years as of now) i had to start subbing out the cabinets again. So now the carvewright will just be for me. but anyways my computer crashed and i lost the program and cant for the life of me figure out how to get it going again... any help would be great. thanks LEE

Lee,

You can down load designer from here http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/getting-started/update/

Since your computer crashed you might have to re register everything you had before.

Capt Bruce
08-11-2014, 08:00 AM
Capt. Bruce...I love the view from your back deck!!

Thanks Connie,
It does make a lovely backdrop for carving photos. One visitor remarked "With that view of the river and your pool I'd never want to leave home" and that's pretty much our motto. Thanks again,

Rodneym90
08-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Hi everyone, I'm getting ready to buy my first machine. It's going to to used and coming from eBay. Anything I should know and stay away from.

artyler
09-07-2014, 09:14 AM
I am a garage tinkerer. I like to do woodworking, but (and this is fully supported by opinions expressed by my wife) my projects never turn out very well, whether using a router, dremel or other carving tools. I am looking to buy a CarveWright system to change that. The first couple of projects that I have to make are footstools. I have made footstools for all of my grandchildren with their names on them, and my feeble attempts at carving cute things (hearts, butterflies, etc...). Obviously I would do the tops without the legs, but would like to do the ones with the CarveWright system with the names and border standing out, not carved in like with a standard router. I also am going to make toy boxes and eventually want to make a rocking horse where the head of the horse actually looks like a horse (like on a carousel).
My problem is, what to buy? Do I drop $5K on the full system, do I buy the hobbyist package, do I need the sign package for the lettering I want? I don't want to spend thousands more on options that I likely will never use (my wife will happily tell people about the tools in my garage that have been used only once or twice since their purchase :p). At the same time, I don't want to order the system, set it up and it be like buying things for a project from Lowes (every project requires a minimum of three trips to Lowes to buy things I need that I didn't get the first couple of trips). I want to, from the box, do the above mentioned things without having to make multiple purchases over the next six months. What bits should I buy? If I buy the decorative bit set, do I need to buy the others? If I want to make nice, carved legs for the toy box will I need to buy the rotary jig, or is there a way to carve one face of the wood and then rotate the piece manually to do another face? If you want to carve something all the way through, can you just place another piece of wood under the piece you want carved or do you have to finish off knocking out the wood separately?
I know, lots of questions from someone that has never touched a CNC machine, but since I saw the first video of the CarveWright system in action I fell in love with this.

artyler
09-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Hello everybody. I'm Aaron, at 26 year veteran (Navy Corpsman), currently a PA, and novice wood worker. I saw the CarveWright video and fell in love a couple of months ago. Today I took the plunge and ordered the system before the Labor Day Sale ends. I don't know how much wood I am going to waste trying to come up to speed on learning to use the system, but hopefully I will get the basics down soon enough to make some Christmas presents for the grandkids. Had a lot of trouble deciding what to buy initially. Didn't want to buy a bunch of stuff that I would never use, but didn't want to buy too little so that it wouldn't do what I want it to do. I ended up getting the CX plus package, centerline text and the DC insert. I'm planning on doing a lot of reading on the forum to learn as much as I can for those that have walked down the trail before me. Aside from reading everything that comes with the unit (user manual, etc..) are there any suggestions on what order I should start reading things? I've never been in the same room with a CNC machine, never designed a project on a computer, and humble enough to know what I don't know. So, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

fwharris
09-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Artyler,

Welcome to the CarveWright and the User's Forum! Besides the forum to help you out also spend some time in the support section on the main CarveWright web site http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/

These is a lot of great information to get you acquainted with the software and machine. The tutorials and tips n tricks cover most of what you need/want to know and if you have any questions (and you will! :)) do not hesitate to post them here.

blhutchens
09-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Welcome artyler,
I would start with tutorials on the main carvewright page and tips and tricks. You should be able to download the software (demo) and start playing with it while you wait.
Floyd posted the link.

Thank you for your service,
Brent

Bob Victor
09-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Hi everyone..As with artyler I recently purchased a CW. Have run several test projects. As with any new toy expectation high, results little less. Some of the issues are "human" and not machine. Would like to know if other CW users are located in the Tampa Bay, Fl area? Would like to get together to discuss ideas, get suggestions and help understanding what can and can not be accomplished.

I will be posting questions from time to time as I encounter them. As I think of it, placing text on a path or curve. I use v 1.187, I cannot figure out how to do it. I knew design project 2 had the ability to do so. But it's no longer available and design project 3 is too pricey for me right now. Any thoughts?

Best Regards

fwharris
09-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Hi everyone..As with artyler I recently purchased a CW. Have run several test projects. As with any new toy expectation high, results little less. Some of the issues are "human" and not machine. Would like to know if other CW users are located in the Tampa Bay, Fl area? Would like to get together to discuss ideas, get suggestions and help understanding what can and can not be accomplished.

I will be posting questions from time to time as I encounter them. As I think of it, placing text on a path or curve. I use v 1.187, I cannot figure out how to do it. I knew design project 2 had the ability to do so. But it's no longer available and design project 3 is too pricey for me right now. Any thoughts?

Best Regards

Bob,

Welcome aboard. On the text along a line or path that is not in the basic 1.187 software version. You do have the capability to put in on an arc (with in the text dialog box) or set the angle for the text.

To find a carve in you area scroll down to the Carvohoics (http://forum.carvewright.com/forumdisplay.php?62-Carvoholics) section to find carvers listed by the state they live in.

mtylerfl
09-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Hi everyone..As with artyler I recently purchased a CW. Have run several test projects. As with any new toy expectation high, results little less. Some of the issues are "human" and not machine. Would like to know if other CW users are located in the Tampa Bay, Fl area? Would like to get together to discuss ideas, get suggestions and help understanding what can and can not be accomplished.I will be posting questions from time to time as I encounter them. As I think of it, placing text on a path or curve. I use v 1.187, I cannot figure out how to do it. I knew design project 2 had the ability to do so. But it's no longer available and design project 3 is too pricey for me right now. Any thoughts?Best Regards

Hi Bob,

For the Text in the basic (1.187) software, you can place and rotate individual letters for the time being to get a 'pseudo'-text-curve result. I imagine you'll get pretty tired of doing that after a few projects, so your best option will be to upgrade at some point.

Bob Victor
09-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the lead. I found a carver listed that's in the Bay area. Sent a PM.

PaulTaylor
09-16-2014, 08:04 AM
Hello Friends,

I am Paul Taylor and also newbie in this forum.

Thanks.

xchief807
10-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Hello Everyone,
I am Kevin Kennedy Just purchased my first machine. Can't wait to get started. Love the forum great people and very helpful.

blhutchens
10-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Welcome Kevin,
This is the place to be. I constantly learn from users new and old.

Brent

Capt Bruce
10-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Hello Kevin,
Welcome aboard the Forum and we look forward to seeing what you carve. Ask questions anytime as that is how we all learned along the way. You will be surprised how quickly other Forum members will come to your aid. You may wish to list your home are in your profile so other users in your area can introduce themselves. Again welcome aboard.

xchief807
10-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks and I just added my info.

ktjwilliams
10-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Welcome Kevin,,, I see your a fellow Jerseyain ! Looks like your only 30 - 40 minutes away!!!

edsingletary
10-11-2014, 04:38 PM
I was born and raised in Jersey. Camden, Edgewater Park, Delair, South Jersey.

Jen Hudspeth
10-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Hello :D My name is Jen... I'm from Seminole, Texas... :D Thanks for adding me :D

Geomoo1
10-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Hello :D My name is Jen... I'm from Seminole, Texas... :D Thanks for adding me :D

Welcome, Jen. Always glad to see another Texan join the clan.

blhutchens
10-19-2014, 07:21 PM

Welcome Jen

My wife is from Denver City.
You are living in God's Country

Brent

txmagnolia
10-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Hey everyone, my name is Scott Moore from Franklin, TX. Bought a machine with extra bits about 2 months ago. Have been reading and learning from ya'll. Have not started anything yet. Thank you for your valuable tips and tricks. It's folks like this that make a product great.

ndehoet
10-23-2014, 12:37 PM
I am Nicole from Iowa. I actually purchased my machine Thanksgiving weekend last year but I did not get a chance to use it very much. I have made a few things here and there and came to the forums to try to help my frustration. I keep having things go wrong. I cut 3 signs yesterday and now today my machine will not work (won't measure and when it does it doesn't find the bit) I have little things like this come up a lot and I literally waste hours trying to get it to work so HOPEFULLY the forums will be a great asset to me. :) I have tons of ideas saved and ready to cut when things work correctly :)

mtylerfl
10-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Hi Nicole,

Glad you are on the forum. When you get back to using your machine, if you have any problem, stop...make notes of exactly what happened (in detail). Visit the forum and post about it...be as specific as possible about the issue. Often, your actual MPC uploaded for us to look at is very handy too. This way, any number of us can assist you in determining the source of your problem as well as the solution. These are not complicated machines and are extremely reliable as long as correct procedures are followed. We can help you.

I am Nicole from Iowa. I actually purchased my machine Thanksgiving weekend last year but I did not get a chance to use it very much. I have made a few things here and there and came to the forums to try to help my frustration. I keep having things go wrong. I cut 3 signs yesterday and now today my machine will not work (won't measure and when it does it doesn't find the bit) I have little things like this come up a lot and I literally waste hours trying to get it to work so HOPEFULLY the forums will be a great asset to me. :) I have tons of ideas saved and ready to cut when things work correctly :)

fwharris
10-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Hey everyone, my name is Scott Moore from Franklin, TX. Bought a machine with extra bits about 2 months ago. Have been reading and learning from ya'll. Have not started anything yet. Thank you for your valuable tips and tricks. It's folks like this that make a product great.

Welcome aboard!

fwharris
10-23-2014, 01:20 PM

As Michael said, we are here to help you out with any issues you might be having. Not finding the bit, if the bit plate does not come out all of the way so that the bit can touch it you will get that error. Most common issues are dirty Y rails that will not let the truck travel to the end and push the bit plate out, dirty spring on the bit plate and the cut motor wires not tucked back in the corner of the machine.

ndehoet
10-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks. I will be attempting more pieces this week and I will see how it goes. :)

fyrewulf
10-28-2014, 05:18 PM
We welcome you to the CarveWright Community Forum.

Please introduce yourself so that we may get to know you.
Hello all my wife and I reside in cedar creek texas and have had a carver for about 5 years now we are both crafty type people she paints ,we both do woodwork , and woodburn, we are both jewelry makers Im also aSFX makeup artist and we both do airbrush work , and Im also a retired pyrotechnician looking forward to leaning and trading new and or old tricks and learning from everyone

ndehoet
11-03-2014, 09:39 AM
How do I start a new thread? This site is just designed differently than any I have used. I have questions and I am horribly frustrated after weeks of trying to figure things out on my own and using the support line (they were probably sick of me at one point) I took a week off because I had other things to do and now I am opening a store front at the end of this month and I need my machine to work for me. If anyone can tell me how to post a thread with my issues I would love to do that. Thanks in advance. Nicole

Dale
11-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Hi Nicole, Welcome to the forum. If you are having problems you want help with just scroll down on the front page and find the approriate section to post your question. If you are not sure where your question belongs, don't worry about it, just post it someplace and someone will be able to help you out. There are lots of very talented people here who are willing to help, all you need to do is ask.

williams5449
11-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Howdy Folks, I'm going to give this another go. My name is Danny Williams, I ordered a new machine yesterday. I previously owned one back in 2006. Didn't have a whole lot of luck with it. I had to return it for a new one and ended up sending that one back too. It looks like they've come a long way so I'm going to be open minded. I really do love the concept. I've been a woodworker all my life. I play around on the lathe a lot making bowls. I know dust is a major factor with these things so I'm not turning it on until I have a full blown collection system in place. Hopefully I can avoid the problems we had last time. Machine should be here Thursday. Can't wait!

fwharris
11-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Howdy Folks, I'm going to give this another go. My name is Danny Williams, I ordered a new machine yesterday. I previously owned one back in 2006. Didn't have a whole lot of luck with it. I had to return it for a new one and ended up sending that one back too. It looks like they've come a long way so I'm going to be open minded. I really do love the concept. I've been a woodworker all my life. I play around on the lathe a lot making bowls. I know dust is a major factor with these things so I'm not turning it on until I have a full blown collection system in place. Hopefully I can avoid the problems we had last time. Machine should be here Thursday. Can't wait!

Danny,

Yes there is big improvements with the machine since 2006. Make sure you read up on the tips n tricks, view the tutorials and ask as many questions as needed to help you get back into the carving fun.

ndehoet
11-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Thanks Dale - I wasn't sure if I should jump in on someone else's thread with my own questions or not.

Pinocchio
11-23-2014, 02:59 PM
Got a used machine last week but been around the forum a few months as a guest, just reading and learning. Signed up as a member today. Looking forward to my new membership. I have learned so much the last few months reading relentlessly on this forum.
David L.

easybuilt
11-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Hi David! Welcome to the wonderful world of Carvewright.
I am sure you will enjoy your creations. Keep reading what is going on here at the forum and review all the videos Carvewright has to offer. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

ImageWeaver
12-16-2014, 11:20 PM
Hi Everyone, I am a new Carvewright user and can tell already, this will be one of my obsessions. I have some experience with 3D modeling and some old school CNC programming from my days as a printer (pre-press & platemaking). I am still learning the basics, but will soon experiment with .STL files (basics first). Like many others, I have fought with sizing issues and the common challenges of 2 sided carving. I will post some of my work when I have more privileges in the user forum. I would really like to find a local users group to join and perhaps do some collaborative projects together.

Stay Well,

Sean

Jeff_Williams
12-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Hello Everyone, my name is Jeff Williams. I live in Northeast Oklahoma. I was raised up in the carpentry field of a family run business. I am new to the Carvewright world. Just recently purchased a used machine with 5 hours of total run time on it currently waiting for it to arrive. I look forward to trying this machine out and seeing what type of creations it will make.

easybuilt
12-31-2014, 10:54 AM
Hi Jeff
Welcome to Carvewright and the forum. There is a wealth of information available here on many topics and many experienced users to help you along. I look forward to seeing you carvings. Be sure you have a dust collector and the one from Floyd is exceptional. It JUST SUCKS! http://www.ringneckblues.net/dust-collector-insert/

Mugsowner
01-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Hello everyone, I am Harvey living in the state of Wisconsin in the Appleton/Kaukauna area. I turn wrenches to feed myself and a few others. I worked on lift trucks for a while,now I assemble packaging machines to help keep the weight on. I purchased a used machine a little over a year ago. It sat for a few year and suffered from no use abuse. After replacing a few components and adding a few upgrades this pup was back up and carving. Has been working great. Now to start packing pennies away software add ons.

blhutchens
01-04-2015, 08:09 AM
Welcome Harvey. This would be a good time to watch tutorials and learn the basic software.
keep hangin around the forum and read manuals.

happy carving

xchief807
01-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Welcome Harvey. If you have problems or need help this is the place to be. Everyone on here is great and a wealth of info.

Mike1
01-04-2015, 10:23 AM
Welcome Jeff and Harvey, your going to have a lot of fun..

b.sumner47
01-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Welcome Aboard !! Your in for some fun. Great group of carvers. If you need help just ask. Capt Barry

tierman
01-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Welcome Harvey, I'm from Elcho. Just north of Antigo, Wi. If I can be of any help, don't hesitate to get in touch with me. This forum is priceless when it comes to the knowledge and the assistance from the members. Roger

cornhusker
01-06-2015, 12:18 AM
Hello Brand new to Carvewright. I bought a machine off Craigslist a couple weeks ago. I have been looking at different machines and decided on the Carvewright for the versitility. I was going to buy new until I found this machine with 5 hours on it for a third the price. Right or wrong I bought it. I have been doing some reading and studying the manual and am scarred to death to turn the thing on. lol Either way I am going to need some advice and I think I have found the right place!

fwharris
01-06-2015, 12:34 AM
Hello Brand new to Carvewright. I bought a machine off Craigslist a couple weeks ago. I have been looking at different machines and decided on the Carvewright for the versitility. I was going to buy new until I found this machine with 5 hours on it for a third the price. Right or wrong I bought it. I have been doing some reading and studying the manual and am scarred to death to turn the thing on. lol Either way I am going to need some advice and I think I have found the right place!

Welcome to the CW forum! Yes you did find the right place to get you up and carving. Make sure you visit the main CarveWright site and get acquainted with the support area. Lots of great help in there. The tips and tricks section includes a lot of information on the machine and software for beginners.

blhutchens
01-06-2015, 02:40 AM

Welcome, It sounds like you are taking the right approach. Take your time with the tutorials and tips and tricks. Remember all of us have made stacks of firewood learning to use this machine.
I bought a used machine also. I would highly recommend getting a dust collector to save yourself a lot of grief.
This forum is priceless everyone is more than happy to help, we have all been there
It took me almost a year to feel comfortable with the software, there are many patterns and projects paid and free.
I look at every one and see what the author did and learn from others

Carve On!!!!!!

cornhusker
01-06-2015, 05:26 AM
I am going to get one ordered this morning! Thanks

Mugsowner
01-06-2015, 07:08 AM

I have found these machines fairly easy to operate, maintain, and repair. There is a learning curve to these as with any other machine and software. With all the information you can get online through Carvewright and here in this forum you have nothing to fear. Get the software up and running, make a quick project to get your feet wet. Load project on to card, Place card into slot on the machine and power it up. The machine takes over and will yes you a few questions which you will have to answer, as well as a few tasks and off it goes. Enjoy your new toy.

blhutchens
01-06-2015, 07:26 AM
I am going to get one ordered this morning! Thanks

So you already getting a second machine?

Mugsowner
01-06-2015, 04:32 PM
So you already getting a second machine?
I think dust collection is what he was referring

blhutchens
01-06-2015, 06:08 PM
I think dust collection is what he was referring

You are probably right. I was just thinking about how I started. I needed a second machine because I kept crashing it not knowing what I was doing and had to order parts and wait.
The good thing was it kept me from carving and made me watch tutorials and read manuals and tips and tricks.
Its a lot less expensive when you do that before you start carving.

electronflow
01-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Hello my name is Chris and I have a small woodworking shop in my garage and really really want a CW! I downloaded the trial software so I could see what it was all about and what it could do. I have a question about cutouts. How do you tell the CW that you want the design to be cut out? Also I couldn't find any information on the CW Layaway program offered for the CW. I have purchased all the tools needed for the home shop Bandsaw, thickness planner, joiner, table sale, router table and all the other fun gadgets. Keep in mind I love working with wood but don't really have any skills. My stuff usually turns out pretty crappy but the doesn't bother me one bit! I have a very stressful day job and the wood really helps me forget about the day and unwind. Also the router bits that for the CW seem to regular looking router bits, are you able to use your own router bits or is there some special about the CW bits I just can't see. Thanks you for any help!

Knotworkin
03-10-2015, 02:43 PM
greetings from Vermont. My name is Gary, and live in Derby, Vt. I bought a Compucarve last June from a friend. I have been playing with it since Dec.
Im just starting a Business called "Church Mouse Artistry" with my new Bride and Soulmate Trish. she makes Primative Dolls and such and I woodcarve, Mushroom Etch,Oil Paint and Knot~Fancy Ropework (Nautical) old Navy.. Any way it is a great pleasure to meet all of you. " Knotworkin"

Keithinnc
03-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Hello, Keith here, and as you probably have already guessed by the user name, from North Carolina. The machine just arrived today, already read the manual and watched the DVD. A friend started a woodworking business and invited me in with him, enjoy the work, so I bought this machine as a way to expand our venture. I look forward to learning from all of you that have experience with the carvewright.

lynnfrwd
03-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Welcome to Keith, Gary & Chris!

Chris...cutouts can be designed using the drawing tools, importing from third party with DXF Importer, or by outlining an existing pattern. CarveTight Spindle (on newer machines) need the 1/4" split collet and the 1/4" rubber stop collars. 1/2" router bits need the 1/2" rubber stop collars. Old-style Quick Change chuck has adapters you can purchase and put on with locktite.

Happy Carving & Welcome to the Forum.

fwharris
03-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Gary and Keith,

Welcome to the CarveWright community! Please feel free to ask any question you might have. Also make sure you spend some time in the support section to view/read the tutorials and tips and tricks.

mikemi
03-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Welcome Gary & Keith. This forum has the best information for your carvewrights that you could ever ask for. Keith, the best of luck in your new woodworking business with your friend.

Mike

rickroy
03-12-2015, 06:09 AM
greetings from Vermont. My name is Gary, and live in Derby, Vt. I bought a Compucarve last June from a friend. I have been playing with it since Dec.
Im just starting a Business called "Church Mouse Artistry" with my new Bride and Soulmate Trish. she makes Primative Dolls and such and I woodcarve, Mushroom Etch,Oil Paint and Knot~Fancy Ropework (Nautical) old Navy.. Any way it is a great pleasure to meet all of you. " Knotworkin"
Greetings Gary, I am in Greenfield MAss, just down the road! Okay, it's a long road but in the world of CarveWright owners, we are neighbors. If you ever head south on I-91 give me a call and swing by. And if I am going to Canada, I'll let you know (and yes! I have been to Derby about 20 years ago. Pretty town.)

greglwood
03-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Hello,
My name is Greg and I live just south of Nashville TN. Would love to hear from any other middle Tennessee carvers out there. Would also like to hear from anyone in West Tennessee as that is where I am originally from and visit there often.

fwharris
03-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Welcome Greg! If you go to the Carveaholics section and "find a carver near you" there are listing by state. Just might find a few.

CurtNAz
03-16-2015, 07:01 PM
Hey there. Just a brief intro. I'm Curtis. 35 from Az. Getting back into woodworking and have just about all the stuff I need :) Of course we never have all of the stuff.

Anyway, I just purchased a Carvewright (Craftsman Compucarve) for $200 a couple weeks ago. I have to get a programmer and bits for it, but am very interested to learn how this thing works. Hopefully I didn't waste my money as some reviews I have read are concerning.

Hoping to learn a lot here.

wozz2002
04-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Hi all I'm Pete Woznack. I bought a carvewright several years ago but then had some issues that needed attention. I was put out on disability. I'm just now getting to the point of using the machine . I guess I have the basic pattern editor but several years old. I know I will have many questions. I have one posted in the newbie section now. I hope you will be patient with me. Love the forum so far.

zan29
04-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Welcome Pete and Curtis. This forum is loaded with knowledgeable and talented people that are willing to help anyone. Just ask and you'll get your answer very quickly. And remember, there are on stupid questions here.
Happy Carving!

Suzanne

wozz2002
04-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Thank you Suzanne I'm just looking through the forums now.

mikemi
04-04-2015, 07:38 PM
wozz2002,

Welcome. You might also change your profile to show the location where you live. There may be other Carvewright owners in your area that would be more than happy to help with Show N Tell.

Mike

xchief807
04-05-2015, 07:57 AM
Welcome the forum is great and everyone is willing to help you. Suzanne has helped me a number of times. Just post your question and in minutes you have an answer.

wozz2002
04-06-2015, 05:07 AM
Thanks Mike, I took care of that. I am in Hope New York.

Capt Bruce
04-06-2015, 06:22 AM
Curtis and Pete,
Welcome aboard the CW Forum, it's great to have you with us. As mentioned by our colleagues above you will find many fellow owners/users who are pleased to offer advice and point you to helpful articles when you have questions. We recommend reading all the tutorials and Tips and Tricks on the CW web site to help get you started and inspire you about projects you may wish to carve. Enjoy the sawdust Friends.

makinsawdust
04-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Howdy, I am new to this great hobby, have been married for 55 years to same lovely young lady, we live in North Texas, and she finally said go ahead and make something nice for me.
I have been scroll sawing for the past 12 years and now at age of 78, will be trying some thing totally new, so you fine folks please, take it easy on an old man.
Thank you
Makinsawdust

Oldbaldyone
05-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Hello Everyone, I have been carving for a year off and on...Just simple carvings

NOW I HAVE A PROJECT THAT I NEED HELP ON

My son has asked me to help him design a Boy Scout Troop Slide for his troop...I have his ORIGINAL design but need assistance in making it work the way he wants I don't know how to make the design bold enough to allow the scouts to paint it and I want to have the carvewright cut it out to shape. Can anyone help.

fwharris
05-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Welcome Makinsawdust and Oldbaldyone! Looking forward to seeing your carvings and feel free to ask any questions you might have..

Oldbaldyone
05-05-2015, 07:19 PM
I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and the closest contact that I have for help is in Oklahoma City or A small Town North West...Both are 2 Hours away. I have retired and just started carving with my 5 year old machine. It probably only has 200 hours of carving simple signs.

However I need some help...I can not travel as I am also a caregiver for my wifes mother of 84 with dementia. I would like for some assistance with using the carvewright machine so that I can do more. It would have to be a question and answer or tutor over the phone. I'm a quick study and willing to work anytime designing. I have a carving project that is for My Sons Boy Scout Troop and would appreciate some assistance. If anyone is willing to help it would be GREATLY appreciated.

fwharris
05-05-2015, 07:41 PM
I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and the closest contact that I have for help is in Oklahoma City or A small Town North West...Both are 2 Hours away. I have retired and just started carving with my 5 year old machine. It probably only has 200 hours of carving simple signs.

However I need some help...I can not travel as I am also a caregiver for my wifes mother of 84 with dementia. I would like for some assistance with using the carvewright machine so that I can do more. It would have to be a question and answer or tutor over the phone. I'm a quick study and willing to work anytime designing. I have a carving project that is for My Sons Boy Scout Troop and would appreciate some assistance. If anyone is willing to help it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I looked in the Carvaholics, find a carver near you and see http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17417-US-Oklahoma&p=149640#post149640 is just to the north east from you..

For your help with designs you can post your questions (try to find the correct area on the forum) and we will try to give you lots of help..

Cabinetdesigner
05-05-2015, 11:30 PM
I added you to my friends list. I live in Inola but work in Tulsa. I would be glad to help you.

blhutchens
05-06-2015, 02:51 PM
As Floyd said, there are many here willing to help with designs, patterns and general advice on the CW. Don't hesitate to ask. The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked.

clgjr
05-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Hey everybody
My name is Andrew. I bought a carvewright a few weeks ago and I'm just getting comfortable with it. Looking forward to many projects to come. As of right now though I'm having a tracking roller issue while trying to use a big board 60 x 12 x 1.5 in. I've got rollers on either end but my scale is only reading approx. 30 out of the 60 in. in length. I've tried smaller boards and they work great. Any ideas?

Sawdust Jeff
05-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Being new myself I'm not sure this is how to do all this, but here goes. My name is Jeff & I am from Wichita, KS. I think I have brain fog from looking at all the tutorials etc and still not figuring out how to get rounded corners when I draw a rectangular box on a board. I've been a corel draw user for years, and it is very easy to do that with that software. Perhaps I can draw what I need there and then save as a DFX (I have the DFX Importer software), but was wondering if the regular Carvewright software has a way of doing this. I think I have drove Connie batty with all the questions I've asked her, and she has been a saint with her help. Any help on this one appreciated.

DianMayfield
05-10-2015, 09:26 AM
Being new myself I'm not sure this is how to do all this, but here goes. My name is Jeff & I am from Wichita, KS. I think I have brain fog from looking at all the tutorials etc and still not figuring out how to get rounded corners when I draw a rectangular box on a board. I've been a corel draw user for years, and it is very easy to do that with that software. Perhaps I can draw what I need there and then save as a DFX (I have the DFX Importer software), but was wondering if the regular Carvewright software has a way of doing this. I think I have drove Connie batty with all the questions I've asked her, and she has been a saint with her help. Any help on this one appreciated.

Hi Jeff, Welcome! I do mine in Corel. :) I would post this under techniques. Just copy your text from here and paste it into a new post there. I haven't figured it out either, I thought I saw a tutorial, but can't find it now.

bergerud
05-10-2015, 09:53 AM
See: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?24850-Radius-board-corners-and-edge-route-in-one-operation&p=246172#post246172

Mugsowner
05-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Hey everybody
My name is Andrew. I bought a carvewright a few weeks ago and I'm just getting comfortable with it. Looking forward to many projects to come. As of right now though I'm having a tracking roller issue while trying to use a big board 60 x 12 x 1.5 in. I've got rollers on either end but my scale is only reading approx. 30 out of the 60 in. in length. I've tried smaller boards and they work great. Any ideas?

Are you supporting the longer board? It is to long to run without support.

Dogfish7
05-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Hello everyone. My name is Bruce and I'm a Carve Wrightaholic. Just purchased a used machine and am still in the process of getting bits, dust collectors, etc. Totally new to the whole thing and just getting started. So please be patient with me.
While trying to check and lubricate the flex drive shaft, I have lost the spring in the head, somewhere in my garage. Does anyone know where to find or buy said part? Don't want to pay $75 for a new shaft at present. I'll be asking lots of questions and doing lots of research on the Forum.

bergerud
05-12-2015, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the forum. How could you loose that spring? Your shop must look like mine! It is called a silencing spring and others have used the machine without it. I do not know if I would. Find it. Make sure it is not kinked.

mtylerfl
05-12-2015, 11:48 AM
Welcome, Bruce! I would keep looking in the garage for that spring. Hopefully, you don't step on it while walking around. ;)

Dogfish7
05-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Just called Connie and ordered a new spring and some lube. I'll probably find it right after the new one comes. Thanks guys and Connie:)

xchief807
05-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Welcome this is the place to be. You will get all the help you need. Everyone here is great and the stuff they make is unreal.

Kevin

fwharris
05-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Bruce and I'm a Carve Wrightaholic. Just purchased a used machine and am still in the process of getting bits, dust collectors, etc. Totally new to the whole thing and just getting started. So please be patient with me.
While trying to check and lubricate the flex drive shaft, I have lost the spring in the head, somewhere in my garage. Does anyone know where to find or buy said part? Don't want to pay $75 for a new shaft at present. I'll be asking lots of questions and doing lots of research on the Forum.

Bruce,

Welcome to the CW and the CW forum! Do your homework (reading and watching the tutorials and tips and tricks) for getting you ready for carving. Also when ever you have any questions find the correct area on the forum and ask away.

Make sure that your spring is not still in the flex core! :)

Dogfish7
05-12-2015, 01:41 PM
:D Thanks, I checked.;)

Alexandersarah
06-13-2015, 09:10 AM
Hello:

My name is Alexander Olivieri, Im currently living in Virginia. I am currently waiting for my carvewright to get to my house. I just bought one since my other CNC machine (CNC Piranha) start acting up. After 3 weeks of going back and forward with the company and getting software upgrades, the machine still did the same errors which was costing me money for my business. I just started a business (Woodpeckers plaques and crafts) a couple of months ago, mostly military stuff since I am a Soldier as well, but pretty much doing whatever ppl's ideas are. Looking forward to learn a lot from the masters of this page and to expand my knowledge on carving with this machine.

mpking1
07-18-2015, 12:10 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Eddie Wilson from Oakland TN.
I wanted to introduce myself to everyone and didn't want to feel like a leach for downloading and and taking everyones knowledge without giving back.
I received my CW about a month ago and so far I am pretty pleased with it. Just a few hiccups along the way to learning.
Like, YOU NEED A DC! Downloaded the one I found on this form and it works great. (See before and after photos below. And my flex shaft burned up after 24 hours of run time. After a few carves everything went great. The flex shaft was not getting hot at all. Then a few hours into it's last carve it started melting at the bend where the wire brace ends. All connections looked great, cable was fine and even the spring looked good. I don't know what went wrong. But I got a new one and I'm back up and running. Thanks to everyone on here. I have gained a lot just by searching and reading your post. Here are some things I have done with the CW so far. Thanks again.

zan29
07-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Very nice work Eddie! Keep on rolling!

dbemus
07-18-2015, 02:34 PM
Great work Eddie! You are off to a great start! Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

fwharris
07-18-2015, 02:58 PM
Eddie,

Welcome to the forum! It looks like you are catching on quickly, nice looking carves.

Hope you also ordered the flex shaft lube when you got your new shaft.

SharonB
07-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Excellent projects. Really like the saying on the Owl Plaque.

Capt Bruce
07-20-2015, 06:22 AM
Welcome to the CarveWright Forum Eddie,

It's good to have you with us and it looks like you are catching on quickly with your CW. Sorry to hear your flexshaft bit the dirt but it has happened to all of us at one time or another. I second Floyd's recommendation of the CW lubricant when you have occasion to order something else. It would be fairly expensive to pay the shipping on that alone but combined with bits or other parts it is well worth having and will help ensure the shaft you have will last for a year or more based upon my experience.
Again, good to have you among us and we always enjoy seeing what our friends are making for themselves and others.

aokweld101
07-20-2015, 06:51 AM
I would like to welcome every new person getting on the forum, there is a wealth of knowledge here someone is always willing to help, in about 6 to 8 months you will have to have a intervention to slow down on the carvewright and quit buying wood..lol

easybuilt
07-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Beautiful carvings Eddie! You are off to a great start!

CNC Carver
07-20-2015, 12:44 PM
Nice work Eddie glad you shard view of your work.
Jeff

TurkeyBranch
10-06-2015, 05:01 AM
Well, I guess I need to "re-introduce" myself.
I bought my Carvewright in October of 2007, less than 300 hrs on it...I know it's horrible. But, I had so many medical issues for all those years and just going out to my shop (30' away) was SO painful.
Well, my body decided to "bounce back" and I am getting ready to start using it again.

I will have to start all over as I have forgotten everything about the machine, software and almost forgot what sawdust smelled like. LOL

I look forward to picking everyone's brains, reading up and making "designer firewood" over the next few months.

One question, should I upgraded the machine now? Or wait until I start to become familiar with it again? It's a Version "A", with all the bells and whistles we could get then. I know the software will need to be updated...I think I may have upgraded it last time to 1.187 or something like that. I have to even look if I have that computer still.

Anyway, good to be back.

mtylerfl
10-06-2015, 07:33 AM
Hello Ed!

Long time "no see". I am so glad to hear your health has improved and you will be able to get back to carving again. One of my favorite commissioned jobs was creating your Turkey Branch logo pattern years ago.

As far as upgrading now...I don't think that is necessary if everything is in good working order. Just clean and lube everything and run a couple test carves (maybe carve your logo for a test?) If you run into any memory blocks, check with the forum members before running a project or if you need any help troubleshooting (or you can always call me, of course). In other words "holler" if you need help!

Both of my running machines are "A" machines and work perfectly. The only upgrades were the rubber belts, new tracking roller and CarveTight chuck on one of them, and the other still has sandpaper belts and I finally retired the Quick Chuck on it and upgraded to the CarveTight. BTW, the Quick Chuck worked fine on both machines, but the CarveTight chuck is indeed better. If you upgrade anything, that should probably be first on your list.

You MAY need to replace the sandpaper belts, as they might have dried out and become brittle and/or the glue seam on the belts may have weakened over time. I recently had to replace the sandpaper belts on the one machine...lasted almost eight years before the glue-seam started to fail.

For "old-time's" sake, I took a peek at the original files for the logo I made for you and was reminiscing how much I enjoyed making that pattern for you!

Welcome back, my friend.

fwharris
10-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Welcome back to the world of saw dust! We are here to help you get back into carving again. Just ask away if you got any questions.

dbemus
10-06-2015, 04:02 PM
TurkeyBranch,

May your health continue to improve and happy Carving!

TurkeyBranch
10-07-2015, 04:19 AM
Hello Ed!

Long time "no see". I am so glad to hear your health has improved and you will be able to get back to carving again. One of my favorite commissioned jobs was creating your Turkey Branch logo pattern years ago.

For "old-time's" sake, I took a peek at the original files for the logo I made for you and was reminiscing how much I enjoyed making that pattern for you!

Welcome back, my friend.

MIKE !!!!

I can't believe you still have the pattern! LOL
The "TurkeyMan" got a lot of comments over the years.

I carved one sign with him on it, but it never got used. Then I have lost the files for all of my patterns. I will have to get it from you again as soon as I can get the software setup.

I have LUCKILY kept the machine in a climate controlled shop.
I have everything out there EXCEPT a babysitter. The wife wouldn't let me out there by myself because she feared something would happen to me. And I just couldn't find a "woodworking buddy". So I gave up hope for a while.
Then my Mother passed away this year and my baby brother "made" me come to North Carolina to spend some time with him. He put me to work and then all my strength started coming back, I started being able to move my "partially paralyzed arm and leg" and HERE I AM !!! :)

Anyway, I am glad to be back

electronflow
11-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Just wanted to say hello! I just purchased a CW and hoping for a lot of good times with it.

Dale
11-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Welcome aboard, This is the place to be when you have questions as I am sure you will. Just ask away and someone will be more than glad to help.

fwharris
11-12-2015, 09:40 PM
Just wanted to say hello! I just purchased a CW and hoping for a lot of good times with it.
Welcome to the CW forum! To help you get started spend some time learning from the support section on the main CarveWright web site.
http://support.carvewright.com/ Lots of great information...

easybuilt
11-12-2015, 10:16 PM

Welcome to the CW family! There is so much training online and a wealth of information already on the forum! Check it all out and you will have a great time!

ktjwilliams
11-13-2015, 07:27 AM
Welcome ,,, This is a community of very helpful folks ... Stay involved with this forum and you will learn a ton and get tons of help when you need it...

Capt Bruce
11-16-2015, 08:43 AM
Good to have you with us Electronflow. There is plenty to learn and we're sure you will enjoy every day as you carve and learn. Again welcome aboard.

jtracker
11-18-2015, 03:22 PM
I am a newbie, Glad to see that there are so many experienced users willing to help out.
Since I am sure I will get lots of good info from all of you.. let me say, Thanks in advance.

nancie1944
12-02-2015, 08:09 PM
looking for somebody in new jersey. I am in Manchester central jersey. please reply thanks

universal-sasquatch
12-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Howdy, I got my machine in a couple of weeks ago and am trying to figure it all out. It has been quite a learning curve, I have already managed to break two cutting bits ! Is there anyone on here around the Tyler/Longview area in East Texas? Big thanks to Floyd Harris for all his help in getting me started.

kwbcpastor
12-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Where are you guys in N.C.? I live in the Richmond Va. area! I would love to meet you sometime.

fwharris
12-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Howdy, I got my machine in a couple of weeks ago and am trying to figure it all out. It has been quite a learning curve, I have already managed to break two cutting bits ! Is there anyone on here around the Tyler/Longview area in East Texas? Big thanks to Floyd Harris for all his help in getting me started.

Martin,

Thanks sir and glad to see you signed up on the forum. Lots of great help here for any issue/questions you might have. To help you out with finding someone close you might want to check this section out to post your location and maybe find someone..

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17365-US-Texas

loretta_byerly
01-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Hi, my name is Loretta and I just recently purchased a CarveWright. Here's a little bit of what inspired me to start researching and eventually where I am today:

1/6/16

Tomorrow would have been my father’s 80th birthday. He passed away in August. While alive, and during his prime wood working years, his shining legacy was the beautiful walnut hutches he made.

He left his wood working tools and shop to me. I’ve been spending time cleaning out his shop. I don’t think he ever threw away anything (I have a life time use of nails, screws, bolts, washers, drill bits, etc). And since his wood shop and tools hadn’t been used in at least a good 8 years, it was needing a very good cleaning.

He was always too afraid to let me go back into his wood shop and learn from him. (You cannot be distracted!) He did go through a dry run on some of the machines with me one day, although he never powered up any of the tools.

My grandfather had picked up woodworking late in his life (I still have treasured pieces from him – and I’m sure some of the tools and “stuff” came from his generation). Dad started using Grandpa’s shop and found it had a soothing effect on him.

I don’t think my dad ever thought I would actually use any of the tools, but would probably just sell the items and the building and get what I could out of them….I considered it…but I can’t do it, at least not at this point. I want to be able to take this special gift he left me, and make the legacy live on. I don’t think I will ever have the desire to make the large items like he did – but I’m sure I will find my own nitch.

With leaving me the shop, he’s opened up my opportunities to be independent. I have the tools to spark my imagination, and the resources to make it happen. I’d like to thank my dad for giving me the most special gift. Thank you Dad!

I know I’ve got a lot of techniques and learning to do, but this is the first plaque I made – a tribute to my dad.

unimar
01-09-2016, 01:55 PM
I have had my machine for a while but only carve signs. Just found out about the forum. I am fixing to get into some projects and surly will need help. Have a sign now that I cant figure out how to do. Hopefully there is someone who has done this before and can help me out. I live in Silsbee, TX. and would love to meet others in this area to exchange ideas. See picture of sign I am trying to accomplish. Thanks and hope to meet some of you guys and gals. Once I figure out how to post a Pic I will do so.lol

mongo
01-09-2016, 05:32 PM
hi folks im mongo,ive had my machine for less than 4 working hours and now i cant get it to lower down.it just makes the clicking clutch sound any ideas why??

aldbaron
01-31-2016, 02:43 AM
I have owned a Craftsman machine for quite a few years but due to moving I just started to use it
It is an A version and I am working through the tutorial on how to use the software
Good going so far
Can't see any photos on this forum,may be on my end

R_K_Bell2013
02-12-2016, 03:00 PM
I am a new Carvewright owner. I have created a couple of signs. I am trying to go through some of the tutorials and am finding following some of them as frustrating as trying to learn what they talk about.

Russell Bell
Powder Springs, GA

loretta_byerly
02-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Aldbaron... hang in there, I think they put a delay on being able to see the pictures... you may be able to email them and get that part started.... then there seems to be a period of time that your posts may not post immediately... but eventually that will get granted to (at least that what happened for me). Good luck and welcome to the forums! I'm still very new at this and the forums offer a great souce of knowledge!

Loretta

fwharris
02-22-2016, 09:04 PM
Not sure how or why we have missed all of these new members posts since January but would like to welcome all to the forum and thanks for signing up.

blhutchens
02-24-2016, 08:04 AM
hi folks im mongo,ive had my machine for less than 4 working hours and now i cant get it to lower down.it just makes the clicking clutch sound any ideas why??

hope you have gotten your machine to work. I apply a little downward pressure on the center of the machine while turning the handle

mtylerfl
02-24-2016, 11:35 AM
No. Don't apply pressure! You raised the head too far and it is locked in place. You can manually turn a bolt to lower it safely (visit CarveWright online support for instructions). Forcing the head down is Not good!

blhutchens
02-25-2016, 06:48 AM
hope you have gotten your machine to work. I apply a little downward pressure on the center of the machine while turning the handle

Once again, I stand corrected. I forget where I started.
This is what works on my machines...me running them.
Usually I don't crank the head all the way up as to lock it.
If "a LITTLE" pressure doesn't free it lubricant or head alignment may be an issue.

mtylerfl
02-25-2016, 01:05 PM
Hi Brent,

I sometimes apply gentle pressure when lowering the head under normal circumstances. But if the head is "locked" in the up position, it's usually because the user cranked it too high. That was my assumption in this case anyway.

rldustyc
03-25-2016, 07:03 PM
trying to down load the free pattern and when i click on it its says:
rldustyc, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

any help would help. I'm logged in thanks.

loretta_byerly
03-28-2016, 01:04 PM
Welcome rldustyc to the forums! Being a new member, it does take a few "days" at the start to get your posts to show up and also to be able to click, view and download. You may be able to email the administrators to see if your privileges could be quickened up~ that's what I did. It didn't help being able to post and see my posts right away... usually it was a couple of days before they actually posted... and then one day I noticed that they were posting instantly. Hope this helps!!

fwharris
03-28-2016, 03:10 PM
trying to down load the free pattern and when i click on it its says:
rldustyc, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

any help would help. I'm logged in thanks.

Are you logged into the forum when trying to down load?

lynnfrwd
03-28-2016, 03:36 PM
Got him straightened out this morning.

Critters26
04-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Hi my name is Red Jensen, I live in the Oil fields of SE Utah on the Colorado border.
I just ordered my machine.. can wait tell i get the notice that it has shipped. I need to read up on my machine to find all the tips and does and don'ts of my machine. This is a once in a life time purchase for me and I do not wait to mess it up..

Wing.groove
05-26-2016, 11:09 AM
Hi all. I'm new! I started a "new" job a few months back and have finally had time to start looking at the cool stuff we have lying around. One of these things is a CarveWright. I have no idea how old it is, but suspect it to be around 8 years, since the manual is dated 07/17/08 on every page. The front cover says CW01.01. I don't know how much it has been used, but I do know from my predecessor that the calibration is off. He suggested it may need to be serviced, but I was hoping to hear from the folks on here how likely it is that I could open it up myself and try to get it cleaned out and in working order again. I'm not sure the cost to have a machine this old repaired would be justified.
Anyway, I haven't started it up yet as I've been trying to learn up on the thing before I plug it in. Anyone have insight on where to find instructions (I have the printed manual, but want to make sure I have as up-to-date info as I can find) and the quickstart for this CNC that I am sure is several models behind? I can only find one manual on the site, and it doesn't specify what it's for.
I have the memory card writer and the other bits and pieces shown in the manual.

Thanks in advance!

3Dcarver
06-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Greetings All, Brand new to the forum community. Had the machine a few weeks now and this sure is fun! Had it up in our garage initially. I will say it has the sound of 1000 screaming teenagers. (I should have known this already) So I moved it to our basement for a sound enclosure set up. (I also live in MN without a heated garage so I wanted to be able to control the environment) I'm halfway through the construction of a sound "reducing" box. I've been inspired by searching other members "hush Box" set-ups on these threads and hope to get somewhat close/similar results. I would have put windows on it but didnt want to risk any sound loss so I have a baby monitor for video and temperature I might try. I grabbed a quick video of the current state last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1mNg8k9xNM in case anyone else has some recomendations I might consider as I finalize the box. (yes...I'm designing as I go..bad idea)

Edit: and here is the finished box with some sound tests. It surpassed my expectations!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFSZAiTTaFk

EZPikins
06-30-2016, 01:54 PM
New guy here from southeast North Carolina, hello to everyone and thanks for being here.

Maybe this is a little ranty, but what the heck.

Got the software Monday and, wow, just wow; was chomping at the bit just waiting to mess up some wood. UPS showed up yesterday morning and I had the pleasure of watching the driver roll the box from the truck, down the steps and into the dirt end over end, sheer terror. Got to give it to him, it did land right side up. He looked at me and smiled and said it was heavy, while handling the box my rotary jig was in like it was a crystal vase, go figure. I asked him if he had a dolly and he actually admitted to it, but he said it didn't work well in the sand. I was cordial with him, but can't say here what I was thinking at the time.

Now, I live in the sticks, 50-60 years ago or more it was sandy swamps. It's more than a half mile to a paved county road and another 30 miles to a descent store or restaurant and I can't see my neighbors or, mostly (gunfire), hear them. I like it; I don't care if he doesn't. I was told by a neighbor that UPS and FedEx did not like delivering "'round these here parts"; I love it here.

The box was undamaged, so I signed for it. Got it unpacked and setting on a table, I wanted to hug it. While going through the box I noticed 2 bolts and 2 nuts lying in the bottom, uh oh. I opened the machine and saw the Y-axis motor lying up against the chuck with the bag of desiccant between them. I took pictures and called Carvewright support.

Now this is where the rant takes a turn for the better. I called support and got ahold of Chris. Told him my issue and let him know I was willing, heck, wanting, to put it back together and see if it would work. He agreed and asked me to email him pictures. Well, it didn't; Y-axis error. Called him again and he told me to pack it back up and UPS would pick it up this week. I hope it's the same guy as I won't be helping him carry it, this time. And, he gets to deliver another one as Chris told me he put me in the pipeline for a new machine, ASAP.

I have talked to at least three people at Carvewright support more than once during the software licensing, machine unlocking and the shipping issue, and each and every time they treated me very well, solved my issues and left me feeling better each time. This is a rarity, but shouldn't be. My relationship with Carvewright has started out very well, this was not their fault. My relationship with the UPS driver, not so much. Why do something if you won't do it well? I will find out what I can do to report this to UPS as I am sure they would like to know, right?

I'm a semi-retired software/electronics engineer and, when needed, a shade tree mechanic. I play PS3/4 video games, been playing interactive games since you had to push the pinball up manually; you older guys know what I mean. Other than building a pig pen and a couple dog houses over the years, I've got no real wood working (woodworking?) experience. I want to build things my kids and grandkids will want to keep and hand down and saw this machine as a very interesting tool to help me accomplish my goal. I might even find a way to make money, too.

So, I am here to soak up as much of your shared experiences as I can and hope I can share mine, as well.

RevMommy
07-12-2016, 12:46 PM
I guess I'm a complete Newbie. I've only very recently starting working with wood -- I've done computer design of machine embroidery for years and have wanted to expand to different mediums. I just got my machine and I'm having a problem even getting it out of the box! I'm going to have to get my husband and a neighbor here at the same time just to get the dang thing out. Is there anyone in the east Atlanta/West Athens Georgia area with one of these beasts?

I'm in Walnut Grove which is 10 miles from everything... 10 miles south of Loganville, East of Conyers, West of Monroe and North of Covington.

mtylerfl
07-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Welcome! Make unpacking easy by turning the box over and cutting the tape on the bottom. Then gently roll the box upright again with the box flaps folded outward. Then lift off the box from the machine! You'll still need help lifting the machine to place on your work surface.

RevMommy
07-30-2016, 04:05 PM
OK, I think maybe I have a problem. I purchased this machine used and 1) I did not receive all that he promised me (i.e. if the deal sounds too good to be true, beware.) He promised me a computer to go with the machine, but did not send it. 2) It's broken. I finally got it out of the box he packed it in and the display seems to be missing (or it slipped out of the slot it was supposed to be affixed and is down in the machine itself.) Any advice?

I'm now wondering if he actually purchased it legally or I've been gypped. Is there some one I can send the serial number to and check on it?

Thanks,
Theresa

holmesshanea
08-04-2016, 07:38 PM
How does one get approved?

Shane

RMarkey
08-23-2016, 03:03 PM
How does one get approved?

Shane

I don't show a Carvewright machine registered in your name, so call us and lets sort it out.

brmjharris
08-27-2016, 08:14 PM
Hello,

I am Byron Harris and l live in Colorful Colorado. I got my machine about a month ago and am trying to get aquatinted with it as soon as I can. Lots of things to learn and so little time. :-)

The problem I am having right now is repeatability. I think there should be a third option if the board measures slightly different then the project that allows me to continue instead of just the 2 options of a new board or resize the project. Most of the posts say to essentially to not let the machine resize the project, so the option to continue would allow the user to just continue instead of shutting down, changing the project, and starting over again. Just my opinion for what its worth. It might fix my repeatability problem.

Thanks,
Byron

bjorn
10-04-2016, 08:22 PM
I go by Bjorn my shop is The Blood Eagle Woodcrafts, ithe is mostly a hobby. I am a disabled vet and I am wanting to make better carvings with this machine than by hand. I will be donating the things I make to the Gold Star Families to sell to raise money for different things. I am not computer smart with that said I can not for the life of me figure the software out I am a hands on person and unfortunately there is no one in my area that can instruct me, but I will get it with everyone's help on here just be patient with me when asking questions I am a guy that has to have it broken down to me barney style or using the kis method (keep it simple). I look forward to learning this software and the machine.

blhutchens
10-14-2016, 07:41 AM
welcome,
If you post your location there may be someone close who can help. This forum is great place with many people willing to help.
Take it slow and learn the software, lots of tutorials on carvewright page. The only stupid question is one that doesn't get asked.
We all started where you are so don't worry.

fwharris
10-14-2016, 10:59 AM
Hello,

I am Byron Harris and l live in Colorful Colorado. I got my machine about a month ago and am trying to get aquatinted with it as soon as I can. Lots of things to learn and so little time. :-)

The problem I am having right now is repeatability. I think there should be a third option if the board measures slightly different then the project that allows me to continue instead of just the 2 options of a new board or resize the project. Most of the posts say to essentially to not let the machine resize the project, so the option to continue would allow the user to just continue instead of shutting down, changing the project, and starting over again. Just my opinion for what its worth. It might fix my repeatability problem.

Thanks,
Byron

Byron,

Another Harris from Colorado, up north from you at Greeley. Please check your private messages.

Project size versus board size problems can be from the machine calibration being off a little. Is it mostly length or width?

fwharris
10-14-2016, 11:05 AM
I go by Bjorn my shop is The Blood Eagle Woodcrafts, ithe is mostly a hobby. I am a disabled vet and I am wanting to make better carvings with this machine than by hand. I will be donating the things I make to the Gold Star Families to sell to raise money for different things. I am not computer smart with that said I can not for the life of me figure the software out I am a hands on person and unfortunately there is no one in my area that can instruct me, but I will get it with everyone's help on here just be patient with me when asking questions I am a guy that has to have it broken down to me barney style or using the kis method (keep it simple). I look forward to learning this software and the machine.

Bjorn,

Welcome to the forum. Please post your location and we will see if we can find someone in your area.

Loyd
10-17-2016, 12:45 PM
I'm Loyd from the North Central Arkansas area. Looking forward to learning the CW machine. I have a cnc plasma machine and machine shop.
I am sure I'll be asking lots of ?'s about this machine I am leaning toward Lithophane projects.
Thanks!

damascenegallery
11-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Hello, All,

My name is Clayton Campbell and I'm the owner of Damascene Gallery, a small business based in West Virginia that makes Orthodox Christian icons. We just received our new CarveWright CX on Wednesday and did our first carve moments ago. I look forward to increasing my skill level and getting to know the machine with your help :) Thank you all in advance!

Clayton

cscarf
01-05-2017, 10:03 PM
I live in Wisconsin retired looking forward to exciting things to do with my Carvewright,which I bought in November 2016

Greybeard
01-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Hi all,
It may be a shock to some of the old timers, but I'm back.
The powers that be have let me back in, but I did tell them not to worry, I won't be looking to pick up the beers I'd been promised from way back when !
2007 -2009 if memory serves.
Much water has passed under various bridges since those days, and perhaps some of it may come out over the next few postings, but till then I'll just say that I'm waiting for my green card so that I can live permanently in Corinth, MS.
Currently nomadic between UK and USA.
Regards,
John aka Greybeard
EDIT
No, I see it was 2006 when I joined. The old grey cells are beginning to fade :D

SteveNelson46
01-20-2017, 02:39 PM
Hi all,
It may be a shock to some of the old timers, but I'm back.
The powers that be have let me back in, but I did tell them not to worry, I won't be looking to pick up the beers I'd been promised from way back when !
2007 -2009 if memory serves.
Much water has passed under various bridges since those days, and perhaps some of it may come out over the next few postings, but till then I'll just say that I'm waiting for my green card so that I can live permanently in Corinth, MS.
Currently nomadic between UK and USA.
Regards,
John aka Greybeard
EDIT
No, I see it was 2006 when I joined. The old grey cells are beginning to fade :D

John,

Welcome back. Looking forward to seeing some of your projects again. BTW, memory is the second thing to go.:confused:

Greybeard
01-20-2017, 03:16 PM
Don't tell me, you've forgotten what the first thing was ;)

john

fwharris
01-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Welcome back John!

asif
01-21-2017, 09:04 PM
Hi just bought the Carve Wright. attempted to install software on Mac and have no success? Any help

hyghroller73
02-06-2017, 12:11 AM
Hello,

I'm Brad and live about an hour outside of Pittsburgh just over the Ohio boarder. I just ordered my new machine about a week ago - It is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday and can't wait to spend the day playing with it! Excited to be able to add a lot more items and customizing to my current wood projects and this machine is hopefully exactly what I need...

Hope to spend a lot of time in here and learn from those veterans that are willing to share :)

Brad

msberg
02-16-2017, 11:32 PM
Greetings!
Just got my new machine last month and am loving it. By chance, does anyone know where I might find a four leaf clover image that I could use for a box lid? I've looked around and seem to find 3 leaf clovers.

Mike
From central Texas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bergerud
02-17-2017, 01:24 AM
Welcome to the forum. How about this?

msberg
02-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Thanks, that looks very similar to the 3 leaf clover I've been trying to change to a 4 leaf (I'm not yet skilled enough to figure how to add another leaf). I was told...4 leaves are for good luck :-)

msberg
02-17-2017, 10:02 AM
I found one on the forum! YEAH... took me a while to figure out a fast way to search...but wow...once I did...it's real fast. Love this forum!

Thanks All!

Mike B.

Rtaylor
02-19-2017, 10:21 AM
I truely a newbe, I just got my machine a couple of weeks ago and am in the learning curve. Wondering if anyone around here has a CW. I live in Topeka, Kansas

fwharris
02-19-2017, 12:45 PM
A big welcome to you new guys and gals. Glad you found the forum and hope we all can help you out. For those looking for carvers in your area go to the http://forum.carvewright.com/forumdisplay.php?62-Carvoholics and look at the carves near you listed by each state.

Apayne67
02-19-2017, 05:46 PM
Hello and Hi, All. I'm new to the carvewright scene and wanted to take a minute to introduce myself (this seemed like the place). I've been working with the carvewright for about a month. I've been trying to read just about any and all tutorials I can find, great knowledge but suffering from some serious information overload.

I had a question, maybe someone else has seen this issue. I've been trying my hand at cut paths and hit a snag. I've made a few .jpg and .png files of fairly simple designs. Problem is when I import them into the design software and select the outline tool, cut path is not available for all of the outlined areas. I used both photoshop and paint, same problem. Any suggestions?

fwharris
02-19-2017, 06:37 PM
Hello and Hi, All. I'm new to the carvewright scene and wanted to take a minute to introduce myself (this seemed like the place). I've been working with the carvewright for about a month. I've been trying to read just about any and all tutorials I can find, great knowledge but suffering from some serious information overload.

I had a question, maybe someone else has seen this issue. I've been trying my hand at cut paths and hit a snag. I've made a few .jpg and .png files of fairly simple designs. Problem is when I import them into the design software and select the outline tool, cut path is not available for all of the outlined areas. I used both photoshop and paint, same problem. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum and great job in finding all of the learning guides.

Some times when you do an outline there are areas that are to small or odd shaped and you will not get a closed path in order to create a cut path. For those areas you might need to manually trace/draw the path. If you can post one of your examples in the trouble shooting or techniques area so we can make a better judgment on what you are trying to do..

Apayne67
02-19-2017, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I went back into photoshop and redrew the lines in the trouble areas. Worked like a champ, project is cutting as I type. Thank you.

GuyT
02-28-2017, 03:27 PM
I have been working with wood for over 40 years (furniture, Toys, etc.) and have decided to move into new type of projects using the CW system. I have gone through a lot of the forum and I must say there is a lot of good information! I have had my unit for about a month now with several projects completed. I found that using the CW over band saw if certainly the way to go. Now I find myself trying to decide among the may suggestions my wife has offered. I initially has a problem with the ends of the boards but build the UCB and that quickly solved that issue.

fwharris
02-28-2017, 03:51 PM
I have been working with wood for over 40 years (furniture, Toys, etc.) and have decided to move into new type of projects using the CW system. I have gone through a lot of the forum and I must say there is a lot of good information! I have had my unit for about a month now with several projects completed. I found that using the CW over band saw if certainly the way to go. Now I find myself trying to decide among the may suggestions my wife has offered. I initially has a problem with the ends of the boards but build the UCB and that quickly solved that issue.

GuyT,

Welcome to the forum and glad to see you are taking advantage of all the great information here. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

normrichards
02-28-2017, 05:28 PM

Welcome, cant wait to see some pics of things you make.

bfortin
03-19-2017, 08:43 AM
My name is Bruce. I am new with the Carvewright system. I have used one years ago and wish to start a project that includes Text on Text carving. I really like Mary Amick serve the lord plaque that had first name on top of last name. How does one do that? I have been using this forum for guidance, thanks all.

rmock
03-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Bruce,
try starting with a rectangle carve area with a depth of .250 last name depth .250 height 100. First name depth .250 height 250. adjust height of first names if you see any push through of last name. graphic heights should not be set any higher than the first name height. Also add some draft to the lettering.

bfortin
03-19-2017, 06:14 PM
Bruce,
try starting with a rectangle carve area with a depth of .250 last name depth .250 height 100. First name depth .250 height 250. adjust height of first names if you see any push through of last name. graphic heights should not be set any higher than the first name height. Also add some draft to the lettering.
I will give it a try thank you

RonMartinez
03-30-2017, 01:56 PM
Hello,

My name is Ron Martinez from California.
I am new to this forum and to the CarveWright system.

I am retired and finding the CW system that has caught my eye. I purchased the CW from Craftman's 7 years ago, thinking I would use it later on. And now is the time.
I did have the CW updated recently and have been learning the system and software. Looking forward many project and fun moving forward.

fwharris
03-30-2017, 02:35 PM
Hello,

My name is Ron Martinez from California.
I am new to this forum and to the CarveWright system.

I am retired and finding the CW system that has caught my eye. I purchased the CW from Craftman's 7 years ago, thinking I would use it later on. And now is the time.
I did have the CW updated recently and have been learning the system and software. Looking forward many project and fun moving forward.

Ron,

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing you projects. If you have any questions please ask away.

rovino
04-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Hi my name is Ronn, Ive been recently getting into woodworking and saw a deal on craigslist I couldn't pass up.. CW system at 1/3 the retail price. I bought it and brought it home the seller even threw in a probe for me I got 2 install disks as well. I installed the software on my mac and tried registering it, come to find out the machine is still under his name and I cannot register the software. is there a work around for this? The seller was kind enough to let me know if I had any problems with the software I could return the system. Im sure Im the first person to run into this issue. whats the most effective way for me to get my "new to me" CW system / software running. Currently Im only using the DEMO but ive got 29 days left from my 30 total. hoping for some good news thank you