PDA

View Full Version : ----Please Read Before Posting Pattern----

lynnfrwd
01-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Please help us keep these shared pattern files useful and organized.

Include screenshot of image
Use naming structure to more easily identify pattern
Try to avoid zipped files
Post .ptn file
Place pattern in appropriate category

A screenshot is worth a thousand words. Please take the time to attach a good quality image (screenshot) of the pattern from your software. This is a big time-saver when people are looking for something. Even if you're posting it for a particular person and they already know what it is, there will be countless other visitors in the future that look at the file and say "Hmm... I wonder what this pattern looks like".

A descriptive file name and link are extremely helpful. A pattern named "Tobsf_133.ptn" simply cannot be found unless a user stumbles across it, downloads it, imports it, and sees it. A more helpful file name, like "mountain-scenery-with-lake.ptn" is a much, much better choice. Try to categorize and then add more descriptive words. Example: frames_western or frames_babyboy

Try to avoid zip files unless necessary. If you're posting more than one at a time, try to post them individually instead of as a zip file. This is a big time-saver for someone wanting a particular pattern. Zip files should be used for collections that are intended to be used or viewed together.

Post *.PTN files, not *.MPC files if possible. It's a cleaner and more versatile way for transfer and storage of patterns.

Please try to place your pattern in the appropriate category. If we need more categories, please let me know.

Credit to Jonny, thanks!

SteveEJ
02-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Hey Lynn,
How about a area for Vector MPC's from the DXF Importer. They don't have ptn's. I can provide lots of these vector files that are converted.

lawrence
09-28-2011, 11:28 PM
sorry... I just realized that I've been posting MPC files instead of PTN files... hopefully my including the greyscale jpeg files has mitigated things somewhat. I'll try to post ptn files in the future

Lawrence

eelamb
09-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Lawrence, sometimes the PTN is too large to be uploaded. Yet the MPC file still fits within the upload range. Thus the only choice is to upload the MPC file. Everyone can extract the pattern from the MPC file.

myshop1044
09-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Hey Steve I sent you PM but your PM files is full, clear some out so we can talk.

Perry

SteveEJ
09-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Done.. Lets chat away..

davidbf
12-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Johnny,
Can you tell me how to change from MPC to PTN file ? I have gotten patterns off the forum and I think its time I returned the favor by posting some of mine but I have no idea how to do this. If its not to much trouble can you walk me thru the process, about like you would a child. I'm not very good with computers but would like to give back.

Thanks
davidbf

fwharris
12-02-2013, 09:22 PM
If are trying to change a mpc to a ptn you will need to 'group' all of the elements in your design by doing a 'select all' and the 'group'. Then select all items in the group. The 'make pattern' tool should then be active. Note that the elements need to be your drawing/lines/designs as if you try to combing someones pattern with yours you will get an error message telling you that.

zan29
12-03-2013, 09:17 AM
My bad, sorry about the Victorian shelves........

eelamb
12-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Zan29 you did nothing wrong. you posted a project. Only way to post a project that consist of more than one pattern, is to post it as an MPC.
I would like to see more that post patterns or projects to post an image of it, as well as the pattern.

kroskam
12-04-2013, 11:47 AM
What does it mean when a pattern has a red border around it?

fwharris
12-04-2013, 11:49 AM
What does it mean when a pattern has a red border around it?

If your talking about what it shows in the carving list with a red background, it means the pattern is not licensed to you. If you purchased the pattern you need to go through the license process to activate it for your computer.

kroskam
12-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Thank You. I really don't remember where I got it. It was in my pattern directory.

zan29
12-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Ed, I was finally able to turn one of the side panels into a pattern. Not quite the same but fairly close with medium draft and bit opt at 1/8" deep. Have a look.

henry1
12-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Ed, I was finally able to turn one of the side panels into a pattern. Not quite the same but fairly close with medium draft and bit opt at 1/8" deep. Have a look.
open it nothing there as a PTN ?:confused:

zan29
12-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Ok weird, it' working for me. Anyway, try this one Henry. Use it at 1/8" deep over a carved region of 1/8" also. Maybe add a medium draft and bit opt. I already did but it might look better. The only issue with the pattern is that the 2 slots for the shelves won't show up. Let me know how this one works.........if it does of course.

dehrlich
12-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Ok weird, it' working for me. Anyway, try this one Henry. Use it at 1/8" deep over a carved region of 1/8" also. Maybe add a medium draft and bit opt. I already did but it might look better. The only issue with the pattern is that the 2 slots for the shelves won't show up. Let me know how this one works.........if it does of course.

Nope, says not a recognized pattern file.

fwharris
12-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Worked for me...

eelamb
12-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Not for me either. Must be designer 2.0. but thought the PTN were readable in 1.187, just not the MPC.

henry1
12-05-2013, 07:15 PM

Work this time thx

bergerud
12-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Seems to open in Designer 2 but not 1.187. This is not supposed to be. Maybe the file is corrupted.

bergerud
12-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Patterns created in 2.004 are not recognized by 1.187. I hope it is just a bug.

mtylerfl
12-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Patterns created in 2.004 are not recognized by 1.187. I hope it is just a bug.

I had no trouble opening the Side panel 2 PTN in 1.187 Build 10870

Do you have a different build?

EDIT:

OK, I found two ways how to get the pattern to FAIL for 1.187.

1) If I download the ptn and save it, then try to import it directly into 1.187, I get a message that says it's corrupted or not a recognized filetype.

2) Another way to get it to fail...if I have 1.187 already open, then I click on the ptn file here in the forum and choose "open" then the I get an error that says it's not a recognized project type.

So, why did it work for me in the first place? I had version 2.004 running (not 1.187) when I originally clicked on the ptn file here in the forum and chose open. This started the imprt process and I added the ptn to my library. After I read that Dan (bergerud) couldn't open it in 1.187, I closed 2.004 then started 1.187. The ptn was already in my library and the ptn worked fine in 1.187. However, testing further, I discovered the methods to make it FAIL as described above.

eelamb
12-05-2013, 10:04 PM
So anyone downloading the PTN file, that does not have 2.004, can not open it in 1.187.

bergerud
12-05-2013, 10:28 PM
It seems that patterns created in 2.004 cannot be opened (imported) into 1.187. I am sure it is just a bug. The patterns are really ok and work ok once inside 1.187. Some error flag is raised for no good reason when 1.187 tries to import or open them from outside the program.

I have reported it as a bug. We will have to wait until tomorrow to get the story.

zan29
12-06-2013, 04:33 AM
Now the pattern should work in 1.187.

Capt Bruce
12-06-2013, 08:14 AM
I'm more than a bit slow in learning to work in 2.0X so please bare with me here. If I design something in 2.0 and want to share it for backward compatibility what are the steps I need to take in saving a pattern or project piece file copy so that users of 1.8 can open and use it?

If someone can spell this out for those of us among the hard of learning it would be greatly appreciated Team. Thanks

bergerud
12-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Simple answer: export the pattern out of 1.187.

Simpler answer: wait for 2.005 (I am pretty sure this is just a bug which will get fixed soon.)

Edit: I am only talking pattern files here (.ptn)

eelamb
12-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Bruce, right now it can not be done.
But here is how it was to work:
Saving a MPC from 2.0x can only be read by other with designer 2.0x
Saving a PTN from 2.0x can be read by those using 1.187 or 2.0x

Remember MPC files are project files consisting of more than one pattern (PTN) file, and/or vectors etc.

Capt Bruce
12-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks Bergerud and Eddie,

Pretty much what I though (although I should have mentioned MPW instead , slow brain today due to multi-tasking). Hopefully the fix will be coming soon and for now I'll operate in both versions of the program. If you operate both on the same PC I assume same current "features" still apply?

eelamb
12-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Do not know about MPW files. Need to test this out. But remember a MPW files gives the person who downloads it the ability to make changes and create patterns as his own. I have no complaint with this, just letting everyone know. Fact is if you design a pattern you need to make a MPW of it, so later on if your computer ID changes, you can still open and edit the patterns yourself. (Unless you have made the pattern and imported using STL importer)

bergerud
12-06-2013, 10:58 AM
.mpw files also fail to open in 1.187 if saved from 2.004.

(I think the ownership of patterns is relative to your license, not the computer ID.)

TerryT
12-06-2013, 12:08 PM
.mpw files also fail to open in 1.187 if saved from 2.004.

(I think the ownership of patterns is relative to your license, not the computer ID.)

I don't think so. I have early patterns from old computer that I cannot edit on the computer I am using now.

eelamb
12-06-2013, 12:23 PM
I have always heard what Terry has stated.
I would say LHR is frozen out today. We got about 6" of snow and temp right now is 18 deg. With 15 MPH winds from the north. I have been out in it most of the morning. Come in to thaw out LOL. But I believe I will be in the rest of the day.

Capt Bruce
12-06-2013, 01:07 PM
My daughter in Dallas reports 1/2" so far of freezing sleet and ice and a temp only in the 20s. Don't know if made it down to Houston too. Connie are you out there? Any survivors over there? Meanwhile we're doing about 74 degrees in Atlanta. Are you all sending it our way? Now I remember why I moved South a decade ago.

bergerud
12-06-2013, 01:09 PM
I don't think so. I have early patterns from old computer that I cannot edit on the computer I am using now.

I have different computers with different IDs and I have no problem operating with patterns created in one with the other. Maybe there was a version change way back when where the format changed. Maybe the copy protection method changed. I think what I said is true.