PDA

View Full Version : Z Trucking binding

Schluppy
01-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Hello
I've been getting many Y axis errors lately. I think something is binding the truck from freely moving back and forth from right to left and back again. The long belt seems to be fine and tight and I cannot see any teeth missing from the large gear inside on the left. The rails that the truck runs along are clean and free of any wood sap. With the machine turned off I can move it back and forth but there seems to be more resistance than usual. Is there anything else I could check? The CW is an original and the machine is fairly new. (about a year and a half old)

Thanks
Tim

fwharris
01-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Tim,

Have you checked the Y bearings on the truck? Another thing to check is the Y motor gears and gear box. DigitalAl has posted several pictures on the shaft bearing of the y gears going bad.

Schluppy
01-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Fwharris,
No I have not. Tomorrow after work I'm planning on doing some disassembling to try and determine what might be the cause. I've been reading now for over two hours on the steps to get at certain parts. Hopefully I can find something!

Tim

Digitalwoodshop
01-23-2011, 11:44 PM
It could be the inside the Y gearbox bearings. They go bad and cause dragging... How many Cut Hours... They go bad at about 750 cut hours... Recommend replacement at 450.

Mark the rail bearings with a marker and move the head. Sometimes a bearing freezes..... Dust gets inside....

Rails are dirty.... Especially the bottom Y Rail... I use a brass wire brush to clean the sides of the rails.... The Flat Spots on each side of the round drill rod.

Is the Y big gear dragging in the U shaped area of the frame..... Between the belt and gear....

Good Luck,

AL

Schluppy
01-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Hello All
Well I think I figured out the problem. After removing the bearing sweepers I noticed a pretty good amount of pitch built up on the bearings which was inhibiting the smooth action back and forth on the rail. Pretty easy fix if that was actually the problem. I'm testing it now. My question is all but three sweepers went back on easy. There is one in the back that just doesn't want to "snap" into place like the others. The actual truck housing is in the way. I've included two pictures 41647to better understand what I'm talking about. Am I doing something wrong? I guess I should have looked closer when I removed them.

Thanks!
Tim

Digitalwoodshop
01-25-2011, 11:08 AM
I removed all my sweepers years ago. Check the other 3.... One might have one end clipped.... But not sure...

I often use a black marker and mark the bearings to see if they are turning. I had problems with sweepers and pitch sticking and got rid of them.

AL

Schluppy
01-26-2011, 12:32 PM
I checked all the sweepers and there all identical to one another. I understand the theory with marking the bearings to see if there turning but unclear with what exactly you did to eliminate the amount of pitch build up. I also checked the hour meter and as of last night it read 170 hrs and some minutes that I do not recall.

Thanks
Tim

Digitalwoodshop
01-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Dust Collection.... That is what helped the pitch problem.....

AL