PDA

View Full Version : circles

grim-bob
01-03-2007, 01:14 AM
wondering what everyone results were with making circles? For example toy car wheels. or more specifically in my case circular flanges.

BobHill
01-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Circles created in vector OR raster should come out as you create them, Bob. Or are you asking how to create them in designer? If so (for basic circle only), use the Circle tool (vector) and size it, then choose CUT PATH, flip; Cut to cut outside the path (which should match your path dimensions), and Accept. Select Bit (1/8" Straight usually) with depth to depth of your wood thickness. Cut Path will automatically leave the center attached to the whole wood by a couple of tabs which you can cut manually with a hand saw (or sharp knife). The tabs allow for the cut out to stay in position until the bit is raised, thus avoiding the inside "cut out" from being struck by the rotating bit and either hurting the piece of having it fly into the machine doing harm. If you need the inside of the circle to be cut, then use the appropriate vector tools to create your needs.

If you wish this to be done in raster, you can use any vector (or good raster program), such as CorelDraw, Xara, Illustrator, etc. to draw your design, then convert that design into a JPG (or other raster format allowed by CW). Import that into Designer, name it and store it into your Library (done via options in menu) then create your wood piece and bring in your design. Instead of it making a vector cut (bit following the path using X,Y, axis for moving bit to path) it'll carve it (with carving bit) as a raster laser/inkjet printer lays down it's print dots. Vector, using the straight bit will make the edge cut straight through the wood, while the carving bit will make the edge cut with a slight bevel (as the carving bit is shaped).

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

grim-bob
01-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Bob. Just curious how smooth the curved outer edges come out?

I'm definitely looking at purchasing a setup. Being able to make a few of the flanges at a time as I go would be much better for what I need. And the other added capabilities are just a bonus.

BobHill
01-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Bob,

Also, of course, a beauty of the machine is it's ability to do the complete job as you designed it without you constantly hovering over it (unless that's what you like to do, of course). There is a lot you can get done while the CarveWright (or by any other name) does it's thing. The only time you have to attend to it, is to change bits when or if necessary and to take the work out when it's done.

Bob

wunderkind
01-03-2007, 05:33 PM
I agree 100% with you Bob that it is nice to put the wood in the machine & the machine does all the carving. Times a changin with robotics. Lookin' for the robotic housekeeper now. LOL
Jim

BobHill
01-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Oh oh, that's what my wife claims she is :lol:

Bob