PDA

View Full Version : US-Colorado

fwharris
01-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Northern Colorado carver willing to sit and talk shop, answer questions and help others with their machine and software.

I have had a chance to meet and talk with a few carvers in the area and even a few that were just passing through my area. Enjoyed both meeting all and sharing/talking about the CW..

fwharris
03-06-2011, 01:14 PM
In last couple of weeks I've had the opportunity to meet 2 carvers who live in Colorado. Both found me because of this new thread (thanks Connie)!

Both ladies are fairly new to the machine. One being a bit further along (I believe she has had her machine for a little over a year) was seeking help with being able to convert an image into a 3D pattern. Her difficulty was getting all of the different heights in the image leveled out. I was able to help her with the one image she was working with but was quick to let her know that I was not the expert by any means. I told her to do some reading here on the forum and to post questions so that the experts could jump in and give her better direction.

The second lady received her machine as a present from her family this last year. She was at a coffee shop and a gentleman had come in with a litho he had just carved (ah another Co. user out there). She was amazed with the concept of being able to do something like this and in her excitement of describing it to her family they quickly ordered her the machine.

The help/direction she wanted from me was how to properly clean and maintain the machine and some direction on proper setting for doing some lithos. This past Saturday she made the hour drive with her CW to my house. We got it set up on the bench and got started. The machine is a B series with the QC and had 18 hours carve time. Her last carve was acrylic for a 5x7 litho and left it as is after the carve (no clean up). GREAT FOR SHOW AND TELL!

My first directions were on the proper cleaning and maintenance of the QC (along with the need for the upgrade to the CT). The carving bit was still in the chuck. First inspection of the bit and adapter after removing was the dreaded rust ring on the adapter. Asking a few leading questions it was discovered that she had never cleaned the QC or bits. About 45 minutes later we had the QC all cleaned out, lubed, the adapter cleaned up and a list of items she needed to get for proper maintenance.

We moved on the the cleaning and lube for the Z,Y rails and 4 corner posts. When I moved the Z truck I noticed that the Z motor was loose. It had about 1/8" wobble. She stated that there was a problem with the truck moving over to the bit plate, acted like it was hitting something but then the problem cleared. She then learned how to remove the top cover. While she cleaned and lubed the rails and posts I found the 2 mounting screws for the Z motor were loose and I showed her what needed to be done to tighten them up. With the cover off we gave the machine a thorough cleaning with the shop vac, brush and air compressor. I took the opportunity to describe the parts of the machine and their function that you do not see with the cover on.

Since we had to disconnect the flex shaft she also learned the lubing and care for the shaft. She had read the instructions in the book about the molly lube but had not bought or lubed it yet. I did lube it up with my CraneCam lube and told her where she could possibly find the Crane lube and if she could not find any to make sure she got the chain lube.

After putting the CW back together we went over the key pad functions with specifics on the user options and sensor checks. She now has a nice list of tools and items to pick up.

Just a little back ground on this lady. She is a special education teacher and has plans on using her CW as an instructional tool and fundraiser for her students. Her long list of ideas include how to spell their name, what their address is, finish and paint the items, how to measure and count the money they recieve from the items they make and sell. She said there is no greater joy than seeing their reaction when they know they were the ones who created from start to finish a product that they and their family will enjoy.

This was a very enjoyable three hours!

fwharris
06-08-2011, 11:26 AM
I know I am not the only carver in COLORADO!!! Bumping this up so maybe others will get their info added in!!

fwharris
06-26-2012, 08:45 PM
But we don't like it this way!!

lynnfrwd
06-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Oh, my. Sure hope it doesn't interfere with you flight down here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aokweld101
11-27-2012, 09:00 PM
it..it...it...is to c.c...cccold up there in those hills!!!!!

fwharris
02-21-2013, 12:47 AM
I know I am not the only carver in COLORADO!!! Bumping this up so maybe others will get their info added in!!

Bump Bump...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?22692-Colorado-and-the-Front-Range-CarveWright-Users-Group&p=198342#post198342

fwharris
03-02-2013, 06:38 PM
I now have a new web site set up. MUCH THANKS goes out to John Paluck for helping me (well he did 99.9% of the work and I think he did an awesome job:cool:) get this up and going.

It's focus is directed towards the CarveWright side of my small adventure. I will soon be incorporating my carving site over to the same format.

http://www.ringneckblues.net/

All and any feedback is welcome!

eelamb
03-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Web site is great Floyd. Yes John is now in your neck of the woods. (I know, I am in the woods you are not)

fwharris
09-14-2013, 11:32 PM
I have received a few private messages and emails asking how I was doing with all of the storms and flooding going on here in Colorado. Lucky to say that we have not been directly impacted with any of the flooding and high water as we are located far enough from the rivers that flow past Greeley.
Two weeks ago Colorado was experiencing above normal temps in the high 90s, normals for this time of year is in the low to mid 80s. At the start of last week we caught a break and started to get our normal monsoonal rains. Well the rain came and staid. Some areas received a normal 2 year average in less than 36 hours. Estimated to be 4500 sq miles impacted.
I have set up a page on my site for those who would like to view or read more information.

http://www.ringneckblues.net/colorado-2013-flood-information/

lynnfrwd
09-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Scary photos of what is happening up there. Stay safe, my friend.

t147
09-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Good to hear that you are okay. We are good in Broomfield as well. At the house we registered only over five inches in three days. Boulder, 15 miles away, on the other hand had over a foot of rain in one day. The mountain terrain made it very difficult there.

Hope your daughter is fine as well.

Stay well.

Ted

fwharris
09-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks Connie and Ted. Ted, great to hear you are doing will also. Daughter so far has not been impacted as with other family in the Denver area. My sister who lives in Evans did have to evacuate do to the power being out and no water or sewer service. She at this time has not gotten any water in her house.

Forecast through Tuesday is for more rain...

TerryT
09-15-2013, 09:42 AM
We hope all goes well for you and others in Colorado. It is being described as "Biblical" flooding. That could be scary! You may want to get your carvewright started on an "ARK" project! LOL It is supposed to change from mid 90's here to thunder storms for a couple of days. I doubt it will be anything like you folks have though. Good luck to everyone there.

fwharris
09-15-2013, 10:08 AM
We hope all goes well for you and others in Colorado. It is being described as "Biblical" flooding. That could be scary! You may want to get your carvewright started on an "ARK" project! LOL It is supposed to change from mid 90's here to thunder storms for a couple of days. I doubt it will be anything like you folks have though. Good luck to everyone there.

Thanks Terry. Yes this is being reported as a 1000 year flood. I have never heard of that, lots of 100 year occurrences but never anything to this extreme. Just chatting with my nephew and wife who are just over 100 miles down river from us and they are in emergency preparation right now.

Bigtyme
09-15-2013, 10:50 AM
We had a 500 year event back in the mid 80s here in Mid to SE Michigan area and it was big deal for sure. I remember taking a power boat down some of the city streets surveying damage with some of my municipal clients a few days after it was over and it was mind boggling. I can't imagine what a 1000 year event would look like. Let's all hope for the best....

eelamb
09-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Floyd, you and jpaluck, stay dry and out of harms way, as well as your families.

fwharris
09-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Floyd, you and jpaluck, stay dry and out of harms way, as well as your families.

Thanks Eddie! We are doing our best. John even did a carving today..

rickyz
12-24-2018, 01:10 PM
will be moving to the penrose, canon city area within the next six month....woo hoo…..

fwharris
12-24-2018, 02:37 PM
will be moving to the penrose, canon city area within the next six month....woo hoo…..

Woo Hoo! Not to crowded or expensive down that way!