PDA

View Full Version : How Not To Measure A Board?

David
01-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Gents,
I am making some moulding. When measuring, the board goes to the left, then to the right, then to the left and then back to right. On a 12' board, this takes forever. How can I bypass this operation? Do you Jog to Position? If so, is there anything special I should know.

Thanks,
Dave

Old Salt
01-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Sorry
Be sure and have good roller under board , I'm sure you do but will make it work much better.

Digitalwoodshop
01-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Well since you asked.... This is a pet Rant.....

Using Center on Board makes the board measure twice like you pointed out. I think it a waste of time.

I use Place on END and leave my boards long. On the head end, I make a 4 inch area in designer on the right that I do not place anything into. This is my Stay under the rollers manual entry version. Sometimes I even tape a chunk of wood on the end 4 inches long to get more frugal use of the wood.

Now watch it measure.... One time.... To the end of the Designer Board or left side of Designer. When the project is done, I cut off the carved area and tape another board scrap to the head end.

A Sled or Carrier Board will do the same for smaller pieces, just place a 4 inch dead area in designer. My TAG board is done that way...

So use PLACE ON END and Select to NOT stay under the rollers as I have the 4 inch dead area in my artwork.

Converting one carver away from Place on Center, one person at a time..... And Use Masking Tape to hold the board scrap on the end.... Snicker...

Good Luck,

AL

Ike
01-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Well since you asked.... This is a pet Rant.....

Using Center on Board makes the board measure twice like you pointed out. I think it a waste of time.

I use Place on END and leave my boards long. On the head end, I make a 4 inch area in designer on the right that I do not place anything into. This is my Stay under the rollers manual entry version. Sometimes I even tape a chunk of wood on the end 4 inches long to get more frugal use of the wood.

Now watch it measure.... One time.... To the end of the Designer Board or left side of Designer. When the project is done, I cut off the carved area and tape another board scrap to the head end.

A Sled or Carrier Board will do the same for smaller pieces, just place a 4 inch dead area in designer. My TAG board is done that way...

So use PLACE ON END and Select to NOT stay under the rollers as I have the 4 inch dead area in my artwork.

Converting one carver away from Place on Center, one person at a time..... And Use Masking Tape to hold the board scrap on the end.... Snicker...

Good Luck,

AL

That's it I am done! I have been using this machine without reading about all the instructions long enough! I have been doing one thing making signs I design a sign put it the CW and it makes a sign! I have a probe, never used it! I didn't even know you could assign it measure differently!!!

UGH!!! that is my rant LOL

Ike

David
01-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Al,
Thanks for answer, I am making baseboard moulding and the carvings are random (not to end of board) so if I just shorten the board by the 4" in my pattern, that should take care of it without taping a piece on the end, right? Will it ask the question, center on width?

Thanks,
Dave

Ike,
I would love to take the probe off your hands cheep.

Dave

Ike
01-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Dave unless you have the pattern editor, the probe will not work and the software is non transferable. The software is $199.99 alone, and buying the probe it comes with the P.E. for $299.99. I have the PE and one day I will try the probe!

Ike