PDA

View Full Version : -Pictorial

lynnfrwd
01-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Use this thread to post patterns related to Pictorial

oscarl48
05-16-2015, 06:08 PM
A wonderful scene created by flight king below for all the gun nuts out there (I being one).

"Bullets Scene" by Flight King
Released under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0
Downloaded from http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/64350

aokweld101
05-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Very nice Oscar, I've downloaded a lot of your patterns, you are doing great on making patterns. I have blender downloaded and don't know how to get files into it I have read some of the starter video's I am what you call a hands on person I just can't understand it If I watch the vidios enough mabe it will soak in..

oscarl48
05-16-2015, 08:05 PM
aokweld101, thank you and good luck. Blender 3d (as are all the 3d programs) is a monster but its been a ton of fun to learn. The capability it has is almost overwhelming. Its taken me over a year of playing with it to just begin to start to use it the way I want (I'm slow). I still have no clue on animation and advanced texturing. There are several 3d formats that are used by the major companies that you can go into the user preferences and checkmark so they can be used to import and export common format files (obj, 3ds, dxf, svg...etc). I build the 3d model and then manipulate it to maximize the detail and height I can get when I port it as an stl. That may mean compressing in the z-axis or cutting the model in half so the unseen side is not used for the model height.

There are a lot of awesome 3d models already made that are available to work with. For me, if its not my model I try to use only Creative Commons copyright so it is freely shareable as long as proper credit is given. But I would prefer to use my models when I can. It lets me practice and gives me a chance to learn something new. Youtube is my friend when I try to learn new aspects of the program.

I am amazed by Dan and Eddie and how good they are using 2d graphics to make their patterns. Mine look like poo when I try their way. This is probably the hardest way to make patterns but I am too old to learn new things. I am at a point where if a new datum goes in an old one goes out. I forget my name occasionally.

oscarl48
06-19-2015, 09:33 PM
Used a NASA Earth contour map to create the pattern. The compass rose I have shared previously but sharing again on this thread so its easy to find.

oscarl48
06-27-2015, 07:44 PM
A little something different for me. Background picture is a black and white picture from 1904 ported into designer and slightly softened and blurred to reduce some of the jaggedness.

Cow skull image also public domain. Used corel draw to change to jpg., isolate the skull from the foreground, crop and then changed to grey scale and blurred 2.5. Then ported to designer and deleted the background to leave the skull by itself.

Wikimedia Commons. Public Domain File PSM V66 D110 Arizona desert scene without irrigation
Wikimedia Commons. Public Doman File Decomposing Cow Skull

The fence is my pattern as well as the wagon wheel.

oscarl48
07-25-2015, 11:33 AM
Enclosed is an idea I had that came out okay in execution. Axe and chopped fire wood. They are all separate elements so you can add additional elements to create any composition. The fence and wagon wheel were previously shared I think (may have been different variants...don't remember) but adding to make easy to find.

oscarl48
02-21-2016, 10:39 PM
I'm exploring creating art pieces that can be carved and hung like paintings. This reminded me of solar winds when I built it so calling this piece fractal winds.

I've created a series of patterns all based on fractal images. I'm excited to carve them at some point. I'll have to wait for the right piece of lumber and time. Another carving for the future to do list.

SharonB
02-22-2016, 12:35 AM
Now that is a pattern that grabs my attention. If it didn't chip out it would be a great conversational piece.

oscarl48
02-22-2016, 12:48 AM
Sharon, I think so. Choosing the right lumber I think is key to the project. For sure purple heart would keep the detail but its so dark I am not sure it would be a good choice for the piece. Maybe hard maple might work but not sure if it lends itself to the design. My other option is cherry. Its softer but I have had some good results with it for not chipping out and keeping decent detail on some of my carvings. One of the other patterns in the series is fairly dramatic so I may start with that one (picture enclosed). I call this one fractal flare.

Geomoo1
02-22-2016, 10:58 AM
Now that is a pattern that grabs my attention. If it didn't chip out it would be a great conversational piece. Might make a great Litho. Ya think?

Smoken D
02-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Might make a great Litho. Ya think?

Just what I was thinking. Really takes to the eye. Great Job!

oscarl48
02-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Might make a great Litho. Ya think?

I have not done any lithos yet so have no experience with them. Do you think they can capture the detail?

Way too much work but an idea that popped into my head was to do a multi-tile piece by breaking the pattern into two or even four tiles to ensure the detail is captured.

The second pattern (solar flare) was too large to post. That one may work a little better for a litho project. PM me with your email if you want to play with it and I can email it to you.

Geomoo1
02-22-2016, 08:02 PM
I would think that a Litho using the 1/32 bit would have more detail than a regular carve on wood with the added bonus of NO SANDING. You really need to try one. They are awesome.

oscarl48
02-22-2016, 08:35 PM
I forgot about the 1/32" bit. I am going to have to order some material to try a litho at some point in the near future.

How long do the carves take on an 8"x10" tile with the 1/32" bit? I am imaging fractal winds as a four tile project framed in front of a mirror and a led changing light strip.

I know I won't do it but I can imagine it. It would be an amazing art piece.

oscarl48
03-02-2016, 03:20 PM
Been home all week sick but today I was good enough I could at least hit the start button on the CW. Had a small piece of cherry so test carved the fractal winds pattern. It was meant to be an art piece and I think it works. This is carved on a 7"x12" board. I would love to do this in the size I envisioned at 14"x24" wall picture done on best but the CW calculates it to 4.5 hrs. Too long for me to do outside without a shop. Would annoy the neighbors and the wife too much. I'll have to wait until I have a proper shop so I can carve it the way I want to. But, as patterns go, its pretty good.

I still have some cherry so may try fractal flare next.

DianMayfield
03-02-2016, 06:38 PM
That's seriously cool!

What about a box, lined with sheet foam insulation, dropped over top your CW. With ports for the dust collection hoses to pass through? I also made my closest neighbor one of those Last Name signs, like Mock does, for them. :) beware of polacks bearing gifts!!

oscarl48
03-02-2016, 06:51 PM
I had not thought about soundproofing. hmmm I'll have to research that idea a little bit more.

I just finished carving the second pattern and a quick fast dry poly spray (2 coats). I really like this one. The series was originally three fractal images. I did not like the third version I made so sometime this weekend I'll re-work a third fractal image to port into designer.

SharonB
03-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Oscar.... I thought the first one was fantastic but then opened the second pattern. Wow! those carved better than I imagined they would. Doesn't look like you got any chip out at all. I agree with you....larger, larger and then larger yet.

Mugsowner
03-03-2016, 05:36 AM
Great work oscar.

oscarl48
03-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Thank you.

Sharon, absolutely no chip out with the cherry and a small draft applied. The draft is probably not needed but played it safe. I would definitely use draft for softer types of woods.

For anyone carving these, I used a square carve region area to mask all the holes I left in the patterns. You can also invert and get a different look from the patterns. Optimization to best.

There are 6 total patterns in the series. I'll be posting the remaining ones next.

oscarl48
03-03-2016, 03:42 PM
I am calling this first series - Fractal Visions (series 1).

I used two fractal types to create the patterns. The types were Mandelbrot and Mandelbar Celtic. I may play with this again at some point and create another series using different fractal types from these.

So in order I am calling the pictures:

1. fractal winds
2. fractal flare
3. fractal mitosis
4. fractal pass (monastery)
5. fractal rise
6. fractal waves

Super fun to create and play with.

Regards
-Oscar

oscarl48
03-03-2016, 03:43 PM
and for the good stuff. Enclosed are the last 4 patterns.

Mugsowner
03-03-2016, 06:40 PM
oscar, thanks a lot, these are awesome. Not to sound ungrateful, but i can not find the flare ptn. There are thumbnails of it. If I ever get in your hood I owe you a drink or two.

oscarl48
03-03-2016, 06:56 PM
No worries. These were a ton of fun to make. That pattern came out too big to post on here. PM your email and I'll send it your way.

Mugsowner
03-03-2016, 10:08 PM
Will do, thanks

oscarl48
03-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Had to work today so was a little slow on the mail but finally sent.

Mugsowner
03-06-2016, 09:11 PM
I myself am just getting back after be away for a few days. Thanks again, I will be carving soon I hope, parts here, now just got to find time to install them.

oscarl48
03-10-2016, 11:44 AM
Kind of funny. I took the fractal flare carving to work. I was very surprised since my team mates are all college educated, relatively smart folks, but all but one person did not know what the picture was derived from. The one person picked it out immediately but the rest, even after I explained what it was, did not know about fractals. Its them liberal arts degrees. :D

Mugsowner
03-10-2016, 05:52 PM
I spend my days hanging with a college educated folks and from what I can tell, a lot of money was spent on drinks.

oscarl48
01-13-2018, 09:56 PM
Dry cracked ground texture. May be of use for someone hopefully.

- O

dbemus
01-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Very useful. Also a stucco type background. Thanks for sharing!!