PDA

View Full Version : -Insignias & Military

lynnfrwd
01-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Use this thread to post patterns related to Insignias or Military

lilskip
02-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Here are some Squadron Patches that I am doing for my Unit. I am going to do one for all off the Units that are stationed here in Beaufort with me. I would like to see others that everyone has.

AskBud
02-26-2011, 10:03 PM
You forgot the JPGs!

chkorte
02-26-2011, 10:38 PM
I have been playing with different ideas for military carves. These are what I have in my file at this time. I haven't carved any of these as yet but I am confident they will carve fine.

rkm1187
07-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Just a quick Air Force logo

lawrence
09-24-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm having fun making 3d patterns now... here's a gun... no clue what kind...
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/gun.jpg

Hope this helps when/if someone is looking for one
Lawrence

LittleRedWoodshop
10-02-2011, 09:06 PM
http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/14/04/28/42/fullsc27.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/file/nt5n9p1zmidbzxb/Abrams_Tank.zip)
Click on the Image to Download the Pattern

eelamb
10-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Jason I like the details on the tank, great work.

LittleRedWoodshop
10-02-2011, 09:22 PM
http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/14/04/28/42/fullsc28.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/file/5mm4e8nnj3ttnvh/Bradley_LRW545.zip)
Click on the Image to Download the Pattern

Thank you Eddie here's a Bradley to go with the Abrams ...

chebytrk
07-08-2012, 08:06 AM
54538 54537

Here's one that I carved a couple of days ago and now painting up. Trying to do a SharonB on it, but have a little ways to go yet! LOL.

mikemi
07-08-2012, 11:32 AM
I think it looks awesome. I am thinking about carving one similar to yours for a friend of mine that has helped me thru a lot of VA hurdles.

Mike

stanv77
07-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Hello Jerry B
Great job. I love the plaque and might have to try one myself.
Keep up the good work

SharonB
07-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Jerry... That is one very nice carving. With a paint job like that you are certainly a #1 painter. It's hard to tell but did you use some of the Golden paints on your carving? Who's eagle pattern is that?

LittleRedWoodshop
07-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Jerry ... awesome job brother. I have put that in my "2B Carved" folder ... wish I had more time.

chebytrk
07-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Hey Sharon,
No, this first pic posted I didn't use any of the Golden paints. However, I did in this last pic. Still learning how to use it. Used it little on the red & white stripes, stars and the ribbon.

Jerry... That is one very nice carving. With a paint job like that you are certainly a #1 painter. It's hard to tell but did you use some of the Golden paints on your carving? Who's eagle pattern is that?

chebytrk
07-08-2012, 02:04 PM
The mpc is on this thread in my first posting. It's a mpc that someone put on the forum here quite some time ago. I just added the text to it and also the key hole cut in the back of the plaque to hang it up somewhere.

eelamb
07-08-2012, 02:58 PM
JerryB, that came out great, thanks for showing us your work.

fwharris
07-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Jerry,

Job well done, both on the carve and painting!!

TerryT
07-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Nice job Jerry, very nice.

chebytrk
07-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Been playing around a little more with some other "pieces/parts" and I'm gonna try and carve this one next. If it turns out OK I'll post the mpc to share out with everyone. Of course if I had the 3d tool I think I could really make that mpc pop! LOL

CNC Carver
07-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Looks very nice without 3d also. Nice work.

chebytrk
07-13-2012, 01:54 PM
OK... so here it is finished out(except for just a little staining). Using some the paint samples I got from SharonB. Thanks Sharon!

lawrence
07-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Simply.....awesome....great job

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

Ton80
07-13-2012, 02:21 PM
That is really nice. What type of paints did you get at the conference? It has a very interesting sheen that catches your eye more than acrylic or other crafting paints I'm used to using .

TerryT
07-13-2012, 02:48 PM
WHOA! Jerry, that is gorgeous!

chebytrk
07-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Yup... paints or made by Golden and are called Interference paints?.... (OK SharonB chime in anytime... LOL) They do put a nice "sheen" on paintings. It's just a matter of knowing where to place it. Basically you still paint everything with your paints and these other "Golden" paints are added to areas of the painting to add that "extra" look. One day I'll do it as well as SharonB so for now I'm still learning how to use them. You can buy these at Hobby Lobby or Michael's, and located in the Art section (not woodcrafts like I've been looking in forever). They typically come in tubes and they last forever from what I understand. SharonB brought some to us at the conference and let us have some small samples and that's what I'm using now until I go out and purchase my own. Thanks SharonB! I'm really liking these paints.
Here's the mpc in case anyone is interested in it.

Note: In case anyone noticed that the "soldier's cross" (weapon, helmet & boots) are different in the colored pic and the 1st pic that I posted before carving it. I was told that there is typically a soldier holding Dog Tags while kneeling and praying so I went "google" hunting and found it. Imported it and updated my mpc.

ladjr
07-13-2012, 04:09 PM
OK... so here it is finished out(except for just a little staining). Using some the paint samples I got from SharonB. Thanks Sharon!

I love your projects, paint and theme. Thank you

SharonB
07-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Jerry....That did turn out nice. Love the way you used the Interference paints. Guess I have at least one convert to the Golden Paints. I'm still trying to catch up from my Alaska vacation and the CW Conference, plus the current local quilt show (just admiring not participating). But I'm certainly going to have to try your Never Forgotten plaque soon. I have board gluing now so I can carve legs for my cribbage table (using Terry T's pattern) but once that is done your pattern will be next on the list.

henry1
07-14-2012, 05:35 AM
Jerry....That did turn out nice. Love the way you used the Interference paints. Guess I have at least one convert to the Golden Paints. I'm still trying to catch up from my Alaska vacation and the CW Conference, plus the current local quilt show (just admiring not participating). But I'm certainly going to have to try your Never Forgotten plaque soon. I have board gluing now so I can carve legs for my cribbage table (using Terry T's pattern) but once that is done your pattern will be next on the list.
Sharon were you get your paint and what kind are they

SharonB
07-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Henry.... I use what are called Interference paints by Golden Paints. Just type in Golden Paints and it should take you right to their website. I need to take a moment and post some of my carvings that were shown at the Houston Conference for those that were unable to attend. I have also started using Golden's Fluid Paints on some of my carvings. Here in the U.S. Golden Paints can be purchased in most stores where artist paints are sold. Online they are available from Golden Paints, Jerry's Paintarama. Dick Blick, etc. These paints are a little on the expensive side but they last a long, long time... as they are used for highlighting your work after you have painted/stained your piece. I will start another thread and show some of my pieces.

chebytrk
11-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Just finished this one last week. These are my father's medals that he received during WWII. I have his actual medals in a case, but decided to see how they might turn out if I carved them all. Looks like they turned out OK. I'm now going to make a few more plaques and send them to my siblings so they can enjoy and pass them on to their kids. As I was doing some research and looking in to the medals that my father received during WWII, I discovered that he is eligible for the Bronze star so now I'm in the process of sending in his documents that I have and submitting him for his Bronze Star. Although he's not around anymore I'm sure he might have had something to do with sending me on this latest journey of research. I think he's looking down with a smile on his face. So.... this one is for you dad... "Related by birth.... brothers by Service". Miss you pop!

unitedcases
11-27-2012, 09:50 AM
That is awesome. One of the best plaques I have ever seen.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

CNC Carver
11-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Those medals look wonderful I'm sure every one will cherish those.

henry1
11-27-2012, 10:42 AM
That is nice and nice painting

TerryT
11-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Wonderful work Jerry.

mikemi
11-27-2012, 11:03 AM
chebytrk,

That is very impressive. I am sure your father would have been very proud.

Mike

myshop1044
11-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Jerry that plaque is perfect. Your dad would be very proud of you.

Perry B.

LittleRedWoodshop
11-27-2012, 12:20 PM
That is awesome Jerry ... a great tribute to your dad and fellow soldier. It is amazing how our projects uncover things.

Smoken D
11-27-2012, 02:42 PM
They came out really good. Nice Job!

olsenla
11-27-2012, 03:38 PM
That is a really nice tribute to your father. I think the medals turned out great.

Larry

chebytrk
11-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words...it means alot coming from our CW family. I'm going to try & come up with a different plaque for my grandson who just started his Basic training yesterday at Ft. Jackson. Maybe something with me & my dad & grandson showing 3 generations of soldiers. ..... "We were soldiers".... Ha.

rickroy
01-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Greetings carvers ... I have a new project and would appreciate your input. This cribbage board is a gift from my client to his brother in law. It features three medals (used multiple times) that were awarded to this war hero who recently returned from serving in Afghanistan. Using PhotoShop and CW software, I made the patterns for the medals from images found on the internet. If you have a better pattern for any of the medals, I would be grateful ... or advice on how to improve these. I am attaching some screen shot jpgs and ptns for your perusal. Thanks for the advice!

chebytrk
05-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Looking for a little help please. Seems that I've lost my mpc to this plaque that I made a while ago. Does anyone happen to have the mpc that is willing to share it back with me? LOL Much appreciated. JerryB

Been playing around a little more with some other "pieces/parts" and I'm gonna try and carve this one next. If it turns out OK I'll post the mpc to share out with everyone. Of course if I had the 3d tool I think I could really make that mpc pop! LOL

chebytrk
12-19-2013, 04:13 PM

Here's one for a lady that wanted a plaque for her father-in-law. She seemed happy and glad that he's getting it in time for Christmas. I understand he was a boom operator on a KC-135. Thanks and a shout out to Chief2007 for his help in getting a KC-135 pattern. Much appreciated amigo!

CW-HAL9000
12-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Real nice, did you use a stain pen to color in the plane and logo's ?

chebytrk
12-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Actually just used a brush for both stains. Wood is poplar with Cherry stain and the planes are brush stained with gunstock stain. I kinda liked the contrasting stains against each other. Oh .. and I used a mechanical #2 pencil to outline everything before I applied a satin clear coat. Hey.. it worked! LOL

myshop1044
12-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Here you go Jerry B.

unitedcases
12-19-2013, 05:26 PM
The pencil idea is great jerry. Great carve.

chief2007
12-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Nicely Done and glad to help you out with the pattern. This is what the forum is suppose to be about!!!

Countrylivin81
12-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Hello all!

My name is Steve, and I just got my new CarveWright machine in on the 23rd and was looking for some military stuff that I could try out. I'm a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy so anything Navy related would be great. I've already purchased and downloaded the CPO anchors and tried that out once. I'm still getting the hang of it and testing out the software. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bu1seabee
01-17-2014, 03:42 AM
Chief, My name is Eric and I am a BU1 in the Seabees. Send me an message of anything specific you are looking for and I will see if I have it. I have a lot of patterns and if I don't have it, I might be able to make it.

Capt Bruce
01-17-2014, 06:21 AM
Good morning Eric,

Always glad to see a fellow SEABEE in the Forum. If we can ever be of any assistance then shout out. Welcome aboard.

Digitalwoodshop
01-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Hello all!

My name is Steve, and I just got my new CarveWright machine in on the 23rd and was looking for some military stuff that I could try out. I'm a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy so anything Navy related would be great. I've already purchased and downloaded the CPO anchors and tried that out once. I'm still getting the hang of it and testing out the software. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome Aboard Chief !!!!

AL

FCC(SW) Retired

chebytrk
03-10-2014, 02:35 PM

This one is pretty cool.... says it all.

easybuilt
03-12-2014, 01:32 AM
Nice sign Jerry!

MikeItaly
03-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Does anyone have a USAF Fire Protection badge or know where one is for sale? I'm doing some carving for a fund raiser and can't find this pattern at the Depot.

aokweld101
03-24-2014, 02:12 PM
I have been playing with different ideas for military carves. These are what I have in my file at this time. I haven't carved any of these as yet but I am confident they will carve fine.

have to let you know that the united states is not lined up with the circle and some of the bottom text is not lined up, nice patterns but they need a little tweaking

jackh
05-29-2014, 11:55 AM
I like the US Army emblem in #4 much better than the Army emblem at the pattern store but it lacks a lot of detail that would have to be carved in by hand. Does anyone have a "more" detailed copy of this Army emblem? We have an army guy at Pendelton Wounded Warriors and I promised him I would CNC carve an army platter blank for him to lathe turn.
Thank you all.

chkorte
05-29-2014, 12:28 PM
I like the US Army emblem in #4 much better than the Army emblem at the pattern store but it lacks a lot of detail that would have to be carved in by hand. Does anyone have a "more" detailed copy of this Army emblem? We have an army guy at Pendelton Wounded Warriors and I promised him I would CNC carve an army platter blank for him to lathe turn.
Thank you all.

I made the one you refer to in #4. If you can tell me what else you're looking for I will try and do it.

bearwoodshop
11-09-2014, 09:20 PM
I am needing a pattern for an A-10 WartHog. Building a box for a former crew chief on the A-10 during the Iraq war and would like to add this to it.
Thanks
Robert

bergerud
11-09-2014, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the forum, try:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?19524-Pattern-Help&p=166172#post166172

oscarl48
12-22-2014, 07:37 PM
I am in the planning phase of designing my coin display holder. For sure I want to have the different weapon systems I was part of during my career. I have not finalized what the design will be. I tried one idea this weekend but the carvings I did were so small they lost all detail so that design will not work. But wanted to share some of designs as I make them. The first weapon platform was the FB-111. I was a very young troop in a flight line back shop in a land far, far away.

want2b
12-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Must have been quite an experience being able to work with something that awesome. Looks like it will be a nice carve. Will save it against the day I have the needed software version to use it. Makes one realise how much the weaponery has changed since my day.
Thanks for sharing, Thanks for serving.
Rick H

easybuilt
12-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Nice job on the design and I look forward to seeing your final project! Thanks for serving our country!

oscarl48
12-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Thank you for supporting the troops. For us old guys it was all good...except for when it wasn't.

So next is the C-130. Workhorse of the Air Force.

I build the models using blender 3d and then either use the bas relief filter or I play with lighting and try to see which one comes out better. Not quite happy but may be good enough. I'll see how it carves this weekend. I am a novice at all of this so not perfect in any way. I'm including the image I used to "Import Image File" into designer. I am hoping you can use that regardless of version of designer owned. I have previously posted designs for UH1-N and B-52. Though they both need further work. I'll have to see how they fit in with the current batch of carvings I am making.

I have one more last image design I have left to build after all that...Delta 2 medium lift rocket. I'll work on that tomorrow.

My last few weapon systems are fairly unique and I don't believe would be of much interest but please let me know and I can post the designs I have made. Minuteman3 rocket and gravity bomb.

Geomoo1
12-31-2014, 04:26 PM
I had a request for the FOP pattern, so here it is...

oscarl48
02-03-2015, 04:54 PM
I went back to an old model and gave it the stl import treatment. What a difference from my first attempt. I guess having the right tools makes up for not having any skills. lol.

The model is still not quite right so I cheated with optimizing the bit which means a longer carve but the result (at least on the screen) looks promising. The rotor blades on the original were too thin so I thickened them up a bit...too much? Let me know if they looked weird and I can reduce the thickness a little bit.

I originally did this model for my Huey brothers. I will be carving this one again. I think this in the shot glass holder project will be an awesome gift. I know they will probably want to add some guns to it.

Gary Koval
02-04-2015, 05:50 AM
Oscarl48,
I will carve this when the weather improves, as all my carving is done in the garage. I have fond memories of flying on several with my companion "Bon" "1S85" my over 120lb., German Shepard, while in the Army.
Thank you,
Gary

CarverJerry
02-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Hey oscarl48, can you convert this to 1.187 version so others who don't have the new version of designer can view it and maybe carve it. Thanks

eelamb
02-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Jerry download the PTN file, any version can open that file.

oscarl48
02-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Jerry. I actually don't know how. :(

Main reason I included the ptn though I know that is not the same. It would be nice to download what is being shown. Please email me if you have a tutorial or (just let me know on how its done) . Still learning the machine and software.

Gary, pretty fancy out in a garage and all. All I have is a back patio. The UH-1N are getting long in the tooth. I got a chance to fly in them quite a bit while stationed up north almost 20 years ago (Air Force). They are a great taxi. :)

CarverJerry
02-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Thanks eelamb, that worked, guess my day isn't wasted now, I learned something new....

eelamb
02-10-2015, 06:41 AM
Jerry if only everyone would post PTN files instead of MPC or both, everyone would be able to open them. (I understand some are not patterns and require the MPC project format).

CNC Carver
02-10-2015, 06:46 AM
That would be great. But my guess is then we would find that locked by next update also.

eelamb
02-10-2015, 09:18 AM
CNC Carver, I hear what you are saying but my feeling is they will never make the PTN files readable by a certain version and up. If they did all patterns in the depot, pattern sharing, and elsewhere would no longer be usable. To convert each would take a lot of manpower.
Course if they made the new version of designer read old patterns, and old versions not able to read the new patterns then I can see this happening.

CNC Carver
02-10-2015, 11:35 AM
Lets hope they leave them readable by all versions and I guess until it changes posting them would be best as everyone could use them to answer questions.

ktjwilliams
02-10-2015, 01:49 PM
Jerry,,,, Ed's the man when it comes to this ... and like he said PTN's should be posted ..

bergerud
02-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Or why not post .png if you can. No protection and they can be edited either in PE or, other 3rd party software. Plus - you can see it on the forum.

eelamb
02-10-2015, 06:29 PM
PNG works too.

CNC Carver
02-11-2015, 06:13 AM
Great idea. Easy to make changes if needed and easily imported.

oscarl48
02-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Another pattern attempt. Frustrated in that I lost about an 1 hrs worth of work when my computer restarted automatically to install some software patches and I had failed to save the last changes in blender for this model. Thankfully I had saved the changes as a image but will have to go back and redo the changes on the actually 3d model again. This is my interpretation of the plane. I see them flying around all the time but haven't actually seen one up close and personal like. I do love seeing them fly though.

It is not perfect but I'll see how it carves this weekend on my friends project. I am hoping I don't lose a lot of detail when I shrink it a bit.

Once I redo all the changes on the 3d model I'll try other angles and see how they look. I am not 100% sure I want this one. My friend wanted a forward looking angle but my first attempts looked terrible.

oscarl48
02-13-2015, 05:24 PM
Re-did the model and attempting different angles. Including the patterns and the images I used to make them. If anyone can clean them up and make cleaner models please let me know how you did it. Learning is a wonderful thing.

oscarl48
02-17-2015, 09:21 PM
Need advice on how to do this model better.

First, I am very pleased with the depth and detail I got on this pattern but I am struggling on how to get the same detail without putting a bisecting plane on the 3d model (pic enclosed). Without the plane I keep losing the depth details on the thinner parts of the model but with the plane the square is part of the pattern you can't get rid of.

The pattern is using the best bit optimization but the details really pop. Without the bisecting plane, even at this level the details are not very good. Without the square you get more flexibility on using the pattern in a composition.

Again, model built in blender 3d and then ported to CW with STL importer.

bergerud
02-17-2015, 09:55 PM
I guess I do not really understand your problem. It looks really good to me. What happens if you export the gun from Blender without the plane and then slice the back half off in the in the STL importer? What version of Designer are you in? Is the floor feather of any use?

oscarl48
02-17-2015, 10:10 PM
First thanks for teaching me the bit optimization tool. I am using designer 2 and stl importer.

When I exported the model from blender as an STL and then sliced the back off any thin area on the model got lost when it was ported as a pattern. So the barrel sight and trigger guard went away. I know I could go back into the pattern editor and try cleaning that up but way too much work and me way too lazy to do it that way.

After I put the plane in all the issues went away. I am happy with the outcome but I was wondering if there was a way to get the same detail without using the plane.

I won't be using this pattern but now that I know how to do it my next model will be an M4. I have an idea for a display stand to show off one of my samurai swords and my M4 together.

Regards,
Oscar

bergerud
02-17-2015, 10:33 PM
Well that is a curious problem. Is it because the mesh out put by Blender was not fine enough? That seem the most likely reason. I am no Blender expert but I bet there is a way to refine the mesh.

bergerud
02-18-2015, 09:20 AM
In Blender there is a subdivide operation in the mesh tools (in edit mode). Maybe that is worth a try.

oscarl48
02-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Bergerud,

Thank you. That was it. I didn't have enough detail in my model. Beefed up the polys and you still have to use the best bit optimization but the details are now there without the plane. My computer is your standard desktop so I typically try to go as low poly as I can. Learned something new again. Slowly coming along. This one did come out better than I had hoped.

I used a rectangular carved region to show off the detail but pattern is the rifle by itself. You have to use best bit optimization or you do lose detail.

Regards,
Oscar

oscarl48
02-19-2015, 10:59 PM
Putting all the little tidbits I have learned together. Model of a 1847 Colt Walker black powder handgun.

oscarl48
03-08-2015, 09:40 PM
My day got washed away by rain due to the fact my shop is my back yard patio and its raining. So it gave me some time to play with some 3d modeling and pattern making. Enclosed is my tribute to the fallen soldier emblem. The boots and helmet patterns are under the pattern help section under the jpg conversion discussion topic. The M16 was posted earlier in this section.

I think this is one of my better efforts. I hope you have some use for them. CW is showing about a 3.5 hr carving time in optimal (1.5 for normal) on a 12x12 board. Bit optimization at best to capture all the thin slices. Its a fairly deep carving for the mpc. I have the pattern set at .5 with 100 and the rectangle depth set at .65 but you can take the pattern and play with it to get a different look.

oscarl48
05-16-2015, 02:44 PM
I can't wait until I have my own shop. My electronic clock came in, I have a pile of hard maple ready to be cut and my clock plans are made. And its raining cats and dogs. So playing on the computer instead of making sawdust on my patio slash woodworking area.

I have been waiting for inspiration to hit so I can make some new patterns but nothing is really coming to mind so...here is a pattern I made a while ago.

A friend wanted a going away plaque for one of his troops that does aircrew life support equipment management so he asked to make a plaque with a flight helmet on it. The pattern actually came out pretty good and when carved in cherry it looks really good. So I can attest I have carved this one and it looked good.

oscarl48
07-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Stab for the heart of club music. Chica bomb too sexy: pg-too old to do anything but look at the visuals.

zan29
07-11-2015, 03:11 AM
Was this one done between the wine and the tequila??? Hilarious!

oscarl48
07-22-2015, 08:43 PM
Some more quick and dirty patterns. Learned a new technique on how to superimpose one 3d object onto another to conform to the second's geometry. Super easy and quick but a powerful modifier. For the blender users "shrinkwrap modifier".

2A Finishing
07-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Some more quick and dirty patterns. Learned a new technique on how to superimpose one 3d object onto another to conform to the second's geometry. Super easy and quick but a powerful modifier. For the blender users "shrinkwrap modifier".

Is it possible to do this with the CW software? I've been fiddling with this kind of thing myself but don't have any 3d modeling software other than designer3

zan29
07-25-2015, 02:26 AM
With the addo-ns you can trace your image and give it some relief with the puffing options. You can work some pretty decent models with Designer. Practice makes you better of course.

2A Finishing
07-25-2015, 03:30 AM
With the addo-ns you can trace your image and give it some relief with the puffing options. You can work some pretty decent models with Designer. Practice makes you better of course.

I understand I can manually make 3d patterns with designer, I've also figured out how to take one 3d pattern and stack it onto another one - what I am trying to do is make one existing 3d pattern stack AND follow the contour of another existing 3d pattern. I'm not sure I was clear - this is new to me and I don't know all the terminology.

zan29
07-25-2015, 06:46 AM
Do you mean to outline and create a cutpath for two patterns together??

oscarl48
07-25-2015, 07:19 AM
Is it possible to do this with the CW software? I've been fiddling with this kind of thing myself but don't have any 3d modeling software other than designer3

Unfortunately I only use the stl importer add-on with designer ver2.0 so don't know. Suzanne and the senior members may have the answer.

Suzanne with blender you can take two objects with different shapes or contours and then put one on top of the other and when you apply the modifier it forces one onto the second one. It shrinkwraps it around the second object giving it the same contour as the first object. Hopefully not completely confusing.

zan29
07-25-2015, 07:26 AM
I see Oscar, I don't use blender but Moi3d so it's a bit different.

oscarl48
07-25-2015, 07:40 AM
Suzanne I did a quick look at Moi3d. Very nice.

oscarl48
07-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Not your traditional version. I saw this saying on some art and really liked it. When my little girl graduates she will be getting a version of this. I have not really finalized the design yet. Enclosed is my version of the corpsman symbol.

zan29
07-26-2015, 06:02 AM
Were you on tequila again last night Oscar..........just kidding!! Love it!

oscarl48
07-26-2015, 08:29 AM
Thank you Suzanne. Its been so hot here I haven't done much woodworking so playing with stained glass and some of my other hobbies. Also missing my little girl so want to do something unique as a gift for her. The design is still in the development stage but the pattern was good enough to share. The one I'll make for her will be slightly different so that she will have a one of a kind design only for her.

SteveNelson46
07-26-2015, 10:37 AM
The Corpsman symbol really looks great. Did you cut it out using the cutout tool or is it a pierced project?

oscarl48
07-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Steve,

It is still only in the CW software. I haven't carved it yet and it still needs some more work. I thought it was good enough to share.

But that is a different idea of having a carving of only the symbol. I'll have to clean it up some more. I need to redo the snakes as well. They are not mean enough looking.

Oscar

edit: Steve, I just got what you were asking. lol. sorry. At this point neither. The picture was from the pattern editor screen but I love the idea of a standalone cutout of the emblem. More than likely I will use a deep pattern and go with pierced though.

oscarl48
10-31-2015, 08:57 AM
Learning how to use a blender modifier. Some really quick model builds. Sword and shield are separate for combining fun.

I was watching some old kung fu movies last night and was inspired by the total cheesiness of an bygone era. Ninja's dressed as trees that no one realized they were ninjas dressed as paper mache trees. lol. I think they were all blind and slightly drunk.

eelamb
04-14-2016, 09:48 PM
Have not been on for awhile, but needed to create a pattern for carving, and thought I would show the pattern here. Will take a few more looks at it and maybe touch it up some more before carving. Hope to carve it in the next week or so.

normrichards
04-14-2016, 10:22 PM
That is a beautiful pattern. Can't wait to see the carving.

oscarl48
04-15-2016, 06:34 AM
Beautiful work as always.

henry1
04-15-2016, 07:18 AM
Have not been on for awhile, but needed to create a pattern for carving, and thought I would show the pattern here. Will take a few more looks at it and maybe touch it up some more before carving. Hope to carve it in the next week or so.

Glad to see you back and that is nice work

ktjwilliams
04-15-2016, 07:24 AM
That's nice work there ... Wouldn't expect anything else from a talent like you ...

cestout
04-15-2016, 02:30 PM
You always do good insignias, Ed. This one might work best with the 1/32" bit.
Clint

RogerB
04-15-2016, 02:37 PM
nice work Ed. Glad to see you stop by once in a while.

mikemi
04-15-2016, 07:10 PM
Great job Eddie. I don't see where it needs a lot of touch up.

Mike

eelamb
04-15-2016, 10:06 PM
I want to thank everyone for your nice comments. I do see some work that needs to be done and I am glad I created this pattern in to pieces, then joined them (center sculpted area was created as one pattern and outside as another), both were created in Moi3D. The lettering needs to be fattened up for a better carve, and I may do a little work on the eagle to enhance it. I plan to carve it in walnut for a cleaner carve. Again Thank you.

eelamb
04-19-2016, 09:16 AM
I did a little work on the eagle, found using draft and feather more or less took care of the lettering.
Here are images and MPC of the files I created (uploading mpc so the feather, draft and optimize, is part of the pattern)
Hope someone can use these patterns.

normrichards
04-19-2016, 09:53 AM
What great work, I really admire those of you that can do the pattern creation.

fwharris
04-19-2016, 12:02 PM
I did a little work on the eagle, found using draft and feather more or less took care of the lettering.
Here are images and MPC of the files I created (uploading mpc so the feather, draft and optimize, is part of the pattern)

Great job Eddie!

oscarl48
04-19-2016, 02:32 PM
Eddie, Great looking pattern.

dehrlich
04-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks Ed, I can use them.

ktjwilliams
04-20-2016, 06:22 PM
Nice Ed,,, I can and will use em ... Thx for sharing ..8)8)8)8)

oscarl48
05-06-2016, 08:14 PM
In celebration of the SpaceX successfully landing their booster on its sea platform for the second time enclosing a pattern of a real rocket. I was at Cape Canaveral when this system had its first launch.

oscarl48
08-07-2016, 09:47 PM
I've shared this pattern with a different perspective but started playing with the bas relief add on to blender and needed a model to play with. It took me close to an hour trying to figure out how to use it again. It does a great job converting 3d models to depth maps.

Mindek
08-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Does anyone have a Navy Officer symbol suitable for carving that you would be willing to share-Please?

oscarl48
08-19-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm home today and I am modeling. Do you have picture of what you are looking for? Ex-Air Force so not too familiar with Navy stuff.

bergerud
08-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Here is my attempt. Took a jpg from the web and ran it through my system. (Here is also a png in case more editing is desired.)

oscarl48
08-19-2016, 04:21 PM
Dan,

Nice find. Here is the problem with the Navy. Thanks to their 40,000 years of history they have like 80,000 symbols. (okay, maybe not that many). That is their ROTC emblem. The Naval Academy has their own though I think their OCS is the same as ROTC. Then after graduating they also get a rank and specialty code which sometimes are interchangeable and sometimes not. I've worked with the Navy on and off for the last decade and their rank naming structure still confuses me.

Army, Air Force and Marines are all the same. Navy had to be different.

O

bergerud
08-19-2016, 04:26 PM
I know nothing of all this! I just hope what I found was what he wanted!

oscarl48
08-19-2016, 04:41 PM
lol. you probably did. I don't think anyone outside of the Navy knows.

Mindek
08-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Here is my attempt. Took a jpg from the web and ran it through my system. (Here is also a png in case more editing is desired.)

Bergerud, THANK YOU so very much for your efforts. My Wounded Warrior will be soooo happy. I go to the Wounded Warrior
battalion at Camp Pendleton one day each week to teach the WW woodturning. I also make plaques for them and their friends.

oscarl48
08-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Thank you for taking care of our wounded warriors.

I wish there wasn't so much need.

- O

bergerud
08-20-2016, 05:31 PM
Bergerud, THANK YOU so very much for your efforts. My Wounded Warrior will be soooo happy. I go to the Wounded Warrior
battalion at Camp Pendleton one day each week to teach the WW woodturning. I also make plaques for them and their friends.

You are welcome. Happy to help.

(I would, however, not carve them just yet. BJB may, as he does so often, produce a better pattern for you.)

oscarl48
08-20-2016, 10:50 PM
Dan, I had to take a stab at it.

Mindek,

I am terrible at 2d to 2.5d conversion so I go 3d to 2.5d instead. Created a quick 3d model that I ported to designer. This is my creation so not exactly like the pictures but close. It was a fast model so not super precise either but hopefully is of future use.

Regards,
O

P.S. Rendered the model and ran it through a few filters.

bergerud
08-21-2016, 12:52 AM
Impressive Oscar. That took some time to do from scratch.

Gary Koval
08-21-2016, 07:00 AM
Dan, Oscar,
Wow, both of you do such awesome work. And thanks to both of you for helping someone helping our true heroes...
Gary

Mindek
08-21-2016, 07:21 AM
Thank you both Dan and Oscar. Let me know when you decide which one I should use.

bergerud
08-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Thank you both Dan and Oscar. Let me know when you decide which one I should use.

That is up to you! (I would still wait to see what BJB comes up with.)

Mindek
08-22-2016, 07:15 AM
I am afraid I don't know who BJB is or when he/she will come up with something.

bergerud
08-22-2016, 10:20 AM
BJB is the member bjbethke. He usually shows us up with his patterns. Sometimes a little after the fact!

oscarl48
11-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this. So throwing it in here though its more of a fantasy piece but it is a gun.

I'm in the middle of building a middling size cabinet (3'x5'x20") for use as a tv stand and needed some glue (I normally allow 30 minutes before putting stress on the piece) to dry so slapped a quick model as I was waiting.

Just killing time so nothing fancy.

normrichards
11-13-2016, 12:33 PM
As usual, really cool.

oscarl48
11-13-2016, 01:09 PM
Norm, fun time killer ;)

Capt Bruce
11-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Nicely Done Sir,

Bruce

SteveNelson46
11-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Nicely Done Sir,

Bruce

Good to hear from you again, Capt.

oscarl48
12-03-2016, 01:03 PM

Eddie, thank you very much for the pattern. Saved me a bit of time not having to make the pattern. A neighbor wanted a custom Marine plaque and this was perfect. Hope all has been well.

- O

oscarl48
12-05-2016, 06:00 PM
Lately been doing a lot of large complex 3d modeling taking many hours to complete so needed a little break with a short speed modeling session. Model took between 15 and 20 minutes to model.

oscarl48
12-11-2016, 12:46 PM
This was a request from a friend to help him out with his son's High School project. It is a model of the K-129 Soviet era nuclear ballistic submarine (boomer).

Started as a simple project but has become a prototype for a much larger model. My father in law spent 25 years a submariner. A model of his sub is my next big project. This is perfect for using 3/4 stock since it is proportionally so thin.

Well for this model, since this was just a prototype for me maybe someone can enjoy it as well.

DianMayfield
12-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Oscar, Hubbie says its looks great... 20 yrs on Fast Attacks :)

oscarl48
12-11-2016, 02:00 PM
Dian, thank you and your significant other.

Fast attack boats are cool though not sure about the bunking with a ton of smelly guys part. :)

oscarl48
03-21-2017, 10:28 PM
Flail pattern. The picture is only an example how I would have used it if I was going to carve it. At some point I will have to model a kitchen sink. :)

The pattern is of the flail only. Skull previously shared.

ktjwilliams
03-22-2017, 10:25 PM
Nice stuff as usual Oscar ... I haven't been up here in a while, it seems like a ghost town around this site ... What happened ....

oscarl48
03-23-2017, 06:12 PM
Thank you. Yeah, its a little quieter but hopefully the new folks will take over the from the old guys and make this a hopping place again. :)

alan19512
03-26-2017, 04:08 PM
Anyone know of any MALS-14 patterns? I am getting ready to get orders and would like to make MALS-14 plaques for all of the Marines that have helped me. I made this for a Marine leaving the other day, but the image was very low quality. It took a lot of extra sanding and cleaning up. It was also my first Carvewright project.

Alan Malmstrom
03-26-2017, 06:14 PM
If you're going to do a lot of them it might be worth it to get the one I have put on the Pattern Depot.
Link (http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=24990&cat=&page=1)

alan19512
03-26-2017, 06:33 PM
Nice! I didn't even see it. Do you have a collection for sale or do you just do separately?

Alan Malmstrom
03-26-2017, 06:41 PM
I have everything listed separately.

alan19512
04-16-2017, 09:47 AM
Alan Malmstrom,
Ordered your Dept of the Navy seal. Looked amazing on the clock I built. You will definitely be getting more business from me. Looking at ordering the Marines NCO2 sword but the picture is blurry. Have you cut this pattern? How in-depth is the blade detail? Also, have you built a Ka-Bar knife with the USMC side on the blade? I would buy that as well.

oscarl48
04-16-2017, 09:13 PM
Been youtubing for entertainment when I came upon the darksider game series. Inspired me to do a speed modeling exercise for a sythe weapon. Under 30 minutes start to finish. Re-used the skulls but everything else newly modeled.

Pattern enclosed is the sythe weapon only. The rest was for my fun.

A little dystopia in the weekend.

- O

alan19512
04-16-2017, 09:20 PM
Amazing work Oscar. As always

Alan Malmstrom
04-16-2017, 09:41 PM
Alan Malmstrom,
Ordered your Dept of the Navy seal. Looked amazing on the clock I built. You will definitely be getting more business from me. Looking at ordering the Marines NCO2 sword but the picture is blurry. Have you cut this pattern? How in-depth is the blade detail? Also, have you built a Ka-Bar knife with the USMC side on the blade? I would buy that as well.
That carve looks nice.

The NCO2 sword has a little detail to it. You can try the pattern to see a 3D preview of what it looks like on screen. Whether it will carve nice I couldn't tell you. I've never carved it. I don't think it would carve that good because of the size of the blade. I told that to the guy who I made it for, but he wanted it anyway. He didn't tell me how it carved. The bigger it's carved, the better it would end up being.

I looked up Ka-Bar knifes but there are a few different kinds. Something like that I would make to order because it's something that might not sell on the depot. I have a Marines knife on the depot that can be found by searching for "knife". You've probably seen that though.

shortyscwater17
01-22-2018, 07:05 PM
Would you be interested in sharing this with me? I'm active duty military and this could be used greatly. I love the overall design of it, but am not fully ingrained in the Designer software to be able to do this type of work just yet. Thanks in advance

I love your projects, paint and theme. Thank you

oscarl48
07-01-2018, 09:27 PM
A speed modeling exercise. A stylized version of the USS Enterprise.

Mugsowner
07-01-2018, 11:18 PM
Once again, nice pattern Oscar

oscarl48
07-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Thank you. Hopefully its of use to someone.

Ducky63
07-02-2018, 08:37 PM
Thank you oscarl48 for posting it. I'll try it some of these days . Thank you again!!!

oscarl48
10-07-2018, 05:25 PM
Fan Art: Robocop side arm. Still playing with bas relief image creation.

carvingbyme
10-24-2018, 09:26 AM
Where did you get the Dept of Navy seal?

buxtor
02-19-2019, 10:10 AM
Howdy Brother! ABEC here, got my CW a couple weeks ago. just did my first decent carve. Looking forward to seeing some more cool NAVY stuff in here!

buxtor
02-19-2019, 10:11 AM
Just got my approval to post and d/l. Pretty excited to get some decent projects and patterns!

fwharris
02-19-2019, 10:30 AM
Howdy Brother! ABEC here, got my CW a couple weeks ago. just did my first decent carve. Looking forward to seeing some more cool NAVY stuff in here!

Welcome to the forum! Check out the pattern sharing section for more patterns.

CarverJerry
02-09-2020, 03:01 PM
I'm looking for a pattern for an AK 47 rifle and for the life of me I can't locate one. Thought someone posted one on here some time ago but no luck finding it. Any help would be great.

oscarl48
02-10-2020, 09:04 AM
Jerry, I sent you a PM.

Oscar

jmccarty0341
02-15-2020, 07:57 PM
looking for the solders cross rifle helmet and boots

oscarl48
02-15-2020, 08:38 PM
Do a search for fallen soldier. There are a few patterns I think.

Sigwab
09-09-2020, 11:59 PM
Does anyone have a Fleet Marine Force (FMF) Warfare Pin in 3D?

EBrock
06-26-2021, 12:43 PM
Top of the Morning to ya! New to the forum but I have had my machine for a few years now. I am a Chief in the US Navy and about to retire after 21 years, most of which was with the SEABEES... Woodworking has been a hobby of mine for many years and the CW has opened many opportunities. Not looking for anything in particular just yet but wanted to drop in.

Happy Carving,
Eddie

Mugsowner
06-27-2021, 05:41 AM
Welcome to the forum. There is a separate thread for the introduction thing, but this works as well.The folks here will do their best to give any help that you may need. Participation has dropped off here due to a Facebook group, which I think has two group pages, one being started by Carvewright. I have yet to use any of the Facebook groups, as I do not care for Facebook and their monitoring of folks using their site.

oscarl48
06-27-2021, 08:50 AM
Eddie, welcome aboard. Share pictures of your projects when you have a chance. Love to see what other folks are making. Always inspiring.

This is a great group on here.

And welcome to the club. Retired Air Force (21 years).

oscarl48
11-10-2023, 05:03 PM
Happy Veteran's Day (tomorrow) but celebrated today to allow federal employees a good day.

Element to add to your awesome Veteran's Day composition. Add pertinent info for your personal carve.

want2b
11-11-2023, 07:39 AM
Thank you for the pattern and Thank you for your service to all who served.