PDA

View Full Version : CW Forum Design

lynnfrwd
01-21-2011, 11:57 AM
I guess most of you can tell we've made some changes and additions on the forum's organization. It may take a while to get things moved around. Please bare with me.

I am open to suggestions and constructive comments. Please post here and not my Inbox (fills up too fast).

lynnfrwd
01-21-2011, 05:31 PM
OK...either:
1.) I have this blocked so that no one can comment
2.) No one has a problem with these changes
3.) PM's are flying back and forth behind my back and your afraid of offending me.

dbfletcher
01-21-2011, 05:48 PM
OK...either:
3.) PM's are flying back and forth behind my back and your afraid of offending me.

I think the changes are good.... except it kinda of killed my spider code. It will take a while to re-adjust to the new layout (using the forum.. not my code).

TerryT
01-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Hhhmmfff.... It reminds me of those times when I went to work and came home and found the wife had moved all the furniture around. LOL

lynnfrwd
01-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Spider code?

What did I mess up for you? Don't spend too much time fixing it right now, there may be more changes next week.

I want to redo the first section (CARVEWRIGHT), so that it is more inviting to newcomers and more informative.

dbfletcher
01-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Spider code?

What did I mess up for you? Don't spend too much time fixing it right now, there may be more changes next week.

I want to redo the first section (CARVEWRIGHT), so that it is more inviting to newcomers and more informative.

lol.. dont worry about it... the thing that made the old sharing gallery so frustrating had a side benifit of making it easy to process in code. Since that project has stopped for the time being, it really doesnt affect anything. The changes will be good.. once we relearn where everything is again.

jpaluck
01-21-2011, 06:20 PM
So the thread stays "clean" is there a way to make it mandatory when posting that you have to upload a file, ie ptn mpc and an image pic?..the old thread had so many comments etc..I have been guilty of it myself...I pic alone is worth a thousand words when scrolling thru the thread...shopping cart style like Jonny's would make the search for folks a lot easier...but a crazy amount of work..LOL you could hire Jonny I am sure at this point he loves uploading files (joking jonny- site looks good)

mtylerfl
01-21-2011, 07:10 PM
OK...either:

Thank you for all the "blood, sweat, and tears" you are putting into this. I am THRILLED with the changes as they are evolving! Great work...and tweak away! It's getting even better and better!

dbfletcher
01-21-2011, 11:26 PM
lynfrwd,

Any chance the forum can be changed to NOT convert png's to jpg on upload? They lose quite a bit of quality and clarity in the conversion.

lynnfrwd
01-22-2011, 09:37 AM
lynfrwd,

Any chance the forum can be changed to NOT convert png's to jpg on upload? They lose quite a bit of quality and clarity in the conversion.

Not something I can do from my iPhone but will check on Monday.

earlyrider
01-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Change? Change? Your modern world frightens and confuses me!

Jonny
01-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Great changes!

I'd like to propose that each of the stickys that represent 'categories' for the patterns have a blurb in the first post - something similar to what I posted in the main pattern sharing forum. A reminder in each category asking people to be descriptive with the file names, outlining the naming convention like you said with frames_* and also reminding them to add a good screenshot.

Also, I liked seeing a ptn added w/o screenshot earlier and someone responded with a request for the screenshot to be included. If we police each other and helpfully remind people regularly, I think it will evolve into a much higher quality section of this great forum.

Thanks again for the recent changes. It shows a level of commitment by the staff that you don't see everywhere. A lot of companies with community forums have a real wild west feel, and the employees leave the forums to the masses.

Kenm810
01-22-2011, 11:15 AM
I'd Like to say Thanks for the changes, and that I agree with "Doug Fletcher" and second his idea and requset not,
to concert Png Files to jpg I think we could really improve the quality of patterns produced by some new or seasoned Carvers,
if we could post and share good quality, and possibly even larger Png Photo Files.
--- would really see what you could find out after the weekend.

Dan-Woodman
01-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Lynnfrwd
Under "Carvewright Machine",Forum Tools,mark this form read ,it lights up but doesn't do any more. The rest of them work fine . Just this one won't let me mark these fourms read.
thanks Daniel

badger
01-22-2011, 07:07 PM
I guess most of you can tell we've made some changes and additions on the forum's organization. It may take a while to get things moved around. Please bare with me.

I am open to suggestions and constructive comments. Please post here and not my Inbox (fills up too fast).

Love the changes, nice work lynnfrwd. btw sent a comment to your inbox did have to cram it in there :p

Jonny
01-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Another suggestion for the site: Install the Tapatalk plugin from http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php. It's a quickie and free plugin for Vbulletin and other popular forum scripts that ties to a phone application for iPhone, windows, blackberry, etc., (Go iPhone or go home!). Makes browsing a forum on your phone about ten thousand times better.

I don't have any experience with install/usage on a forum, but hopefully someone on staff at LHR could give this some thought and maybe look into it.

lynnfrwd
01-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Lynnfrwd
Under "Carvewright Machine",Forum Tools,mark this form read ,it lights up but doesn't do any more. The rest of them work fine . Just this one won't let me mark these fourms read.
thanks Daniel
I'm not 100% sure I understand the issue, but it may be a timing thing because that particular forum is so big.

dcalvin4
01-24-2011, 07:25 PM
lIKE THE CHANGES could it be possible to put a 'PRINT BUTTON' along with the''see printable view'' under the ''thread tools'' .
SEE PRINTABLE VIEWS
PRINT [ button]
I sometimes print these thread and read them while watching TV with the wife ha laugh ha
thank you
denny

Jonny
01-24-2011, 07:34 PM
lIKE THE CHANGES could it be possible to put a 'PRINT BUTTON' along with the''see printable view'' under the ''thread tools'' .
SEE PRINTABLE VIEWS
PRINT [ button]
I sometimes print these thread and read them while watching TV with the wife ha laugh ha
thank you
denny

Hi Denny - the printable view is as far as the browser can go I do believe. Click that and you get a full-width just-text printer-friendly version... the final step is to hit the print button in your web browser, but it sounds like you already do that.

Also thank you for the kind words about the new pattern site earlier!

Jonny
01-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Another suggestion - I'm just full of 'em when it comes to websites.

LHR needs a facebook fan page. This has become a very trendy thing and your fan base can grow quickly. I think LHR has a lot of customers that in fact do NOT come to, participate in, or even know about the forums. That shady ebay cd having sold almost 50 copies shows there are some out there. Also, cwpatterns.com is starting to get organic traffic referrals from google, and in looking at the keywords and phrases used, I'm guessing they don't know about the forums here either. Facebook opens you up to a whole 'nother demographic that includes 500 million people.

liquidguitars
01-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Nice work lynnfrwd.

lynnfrwd
01-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Another suggestion - I'm just full of 'em when it comes to websites.

LHR needs a facebook fan page. This has become a very trendy thing and your fan base can grow quickly. I think LHR has a lot of customers that in fact do NOT come to, participate in, or even know about the forums. That shady ebay cd having sold almost 50 copies shows there are some out there. Also, cwpatterns.com is starting to get organic traffic referrals from google, and in looking at the keywords and phrases used, I'm guessing they don't know about the forums here either. Facebook opens you up to a whole 'nother demographic that includes 500 million people.

LOL or maybe not if u dont know about it! We have had one for quite a while. Look on the forum HOME page. Search carvewright woodworking or carvewright systems for our pages.

Jonny
01-27-2011, 11:41 PM
I fail. Not only is there a FB group, but I'm already a member. Must have joined way back when I was doing pre-sales homework.

dbfletcher
02-04-2011, 03:25 PM
lynfrwd,

Where you ever able to check on this request? If you addressed it and I missed it, I apoligize!

lynnfrwd
02-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Where you ever able to check on this request? If you addressed it and I missed it, I apoligize!

I can't see anywhere in the administrative panel where it changes it to png or why. Both are marked as acceptable attachments, so I will try to look it up on the forum forum.

lynnfrwd
09-19-2011, 05:05 PM
KUDOs to Chris Morlier!!! Since he had to be in vBulletin, he made some changes and fixes that we have all been wanting.

Updated to latest vBulletin version
SMILEY's that work
New Gallery's menu
The Who's Online is no longer impossible to read
Tapatalk capabilities for mobile forum on smart phones (purchase required through your App store)

There may be other features that I have not yet discovered.

lawrence
09-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Test :)

Great job guys- thanks for all the effort you put into this forum

Lawrence

Digitalwoodshop
09-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Great.... A what has been posted in the last 24 hours button would be good.... I sometimes log on and what's new is long... Get side tracked and too much time goes by and need to log off.... New posts = Zero.... Then I need to search through all the Sub Forums....

Just Asking...

AL

lynnfrwd
09-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Go to Advanced Search - Find Posts - Yesterday and newer.

It's not a new option, but the way I've always done it.

It does look like the new Quick Links tab has an option for all of Todays Posts. (at least I think that's a new option)

dbfletcher
09-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Excellent! I cant wait to start accessing the forum via tapatalk when I'm mobile. Thanks for everything!

Digitalwoodshop
09-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Go to Advanced Search - Find Posts - Yesterday and newer.

It's not a new option, but the way I've always done it.

It does look like the new Quick Links tab has an option for all of Todays Posts. (at least I think that's a new option)

Good Tip !!!! Thanks.... And Especially to Ed Lamb for the tip on scanning for this junk.

Midnight and the Mal-ware Scan has finished and found 6 infected items... No more flashing and cycling of XP.... AOL tripping like it was a Strobe....

AL

lawrence
09-19-2011, 11:10 PM
another option is to quickly log out and then click on "what's new" and it will give you the most recent posts... I do this all the time

Lawrence

lynnfrwd
09-19-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm loving this tapatalk. Especially, how much easier it is to view images! I felt like my fingers were having to become contortionists to see the photos especially when they were at the bottom of the page.

The only issue I've had with it is this thread. It will only let me see pages one and two. I'm hoping by posting on it, it might reset itself.

Who has tried it and what do you think?

lynnfrwd
09-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Ok. Posting didn't do it, but I clicked or touched the icon in the top right that looks like a forwarding message button and found refresh. That did the trick!! Got all 4 pages now.