PDA

View Full Version : Adding New Font

wyoming
12-30-2006, 12:50 AM
I am not sure about the fonts that are loading in the software. I was wondering how one can add a new font to the software? Can you import a font from an Adobe library? Or is there another option

Jeff_Birt
12-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Designer can use any font that is on your computer which is located in systems Font folder. The Font folder is normally in C:\Windows\Font. You can also see this folder by going to Start -> Control Panel -> Fonts.

BobHill
01-03-2007, 08:38 AM
As Jeff indicated, fonts for Designer are those which you have installed on your computer .... HOWEVER .... there is a caveat involved. One is that not all TRUETYPE will work well, especially in small sizes, in Designer when being carved in Raster, as the carving bit tends to clip some of the serifs, etc. and the edges will be beveled, not 90° to wood.

Also remember that on a computer, fonts DO NOT TRAVEL with a file to another computer unless the software program allows for it (few do). Thus if you compose something in Designer on your computer, but with to give it to someone else who has Designer (people on this list, and you allow for your design to be uploaded to them) if you use a non standard font (say other than Ariel or Times New Roman (which everyone has), any text in the design WILL NOT be the same as you designed it on their computer. Your computer uses what is known as PANOSE which will substitute one of that computers fonts to replace yours in the design. Thus if you, or anyone, creates a design for downloading by others, it's best to include a JPEG for how your design should look, give the font name you used (like "REVUE", etc.) and even perhaps where that special font may be obtained (there are many font URLs ... even free fonts ... you can locate in a Google search).

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

andes
03-23-2008, 04:43 PM
NP in the fact that you should be able to use the fonts in the windows/fonts dir; but I just added some fonts and designer does not see them. Also I noted that I do not see all of my fonts, which I have hundres; so is there a limit on how many fonts that designer can see/use? Is there a way to make designer see all of the fonts in windows/fonts?

Thanks

Andes

Amonaug
03-23-2008, 04:55 PM
NP in the fact that you should be able to use the fonts in the windows/fonts dir; but I just added some fonts and designer does not see them. Also I noted that I do not see all of my fonts, which I have hundres; so is there a limit on how many fonts that designer can see/use? Is there a way to make designer see all of the fonts in windows/fonts?

Thanks

Andes

How did you add the fonts to the folder? Did you use the Control Panel > Fonts> File> Install New Font? I think windows needs that so it can register the font and other programs can use it. Fonts just dropped into the folder I don't think will show up.

hotpop
03-23-2008, 05:00 PM
andes

You probably need to reboot your computer to see the new fonts.

andes
03-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Hotpop,

Did that, after adding the new fonts.

Andes

andes
03-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Amonaug,

That was it, thanks

Andes