PDA

View Full Version : Edge routing issue

Jonny
01-21-2011, 09:14 AM
From the day I got my machine last year, every single time I try to edge rout something, I have the same issue.

The ends of the board are both routed identically. The sides are also routed identically, but both sides are exactly 3/16" different than the ends. The machine doesn't go as deep in, not the depth, but in towards the center of the board. Any bit, any type of wood, both in a project file and if I call for a rout via the keyboard menu.

The project files aren't corrupted because I will format the card and create a blank project and can duplicate the error every single time. Also, since it's doing it via the keyboard menu it can't have anything to do with a project file.

Here's a pic of one of the corners on a random carve.

I talked to tech support (Barry, he's fantastic) about it and they had me email this pic to em. I confess that at the time, we were troubleshooting several problems at once (ended up being the power supply causing all kinds of bad juju) and I never did hear back about this one after the others were resolved.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be? It's still under warranty but I'd hate to have to ship it back if they asked.

Kenm810
01-21-2011, 11:14 AM
When I first got my Machine back in Dec.of 06, I was having the problem something like yours.
A couple of times it was from not including enough stock to stay under the rollers and couseing the board to tip up
the other times it was from the project board slipping on the traction belts -- so it got in the habit of doing my edge routing on
my router table or with one of my hand routers --- soon I learned about using masking tape on the bottom edge
of projects so the brass tracking sensor could bite into it and to run my carvings on Sleds or Carrier Boards
to reduce the chance of issues while carving --- But the the habit stuck and I don't use my machine
to do cut offs or edge routing. I've found, like many others it's less ware on the machine plus a lot less cut time on the motors.
I'm others will also have more suggestion for you.

Jonny
01-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Yeah I moved to a hand router, and probably wouldn't do much, if any routing with the machine anyway. It's just irksome that such a dead accurate tool would have such a major issue doing a simple thing. It's not slippage, I've watched carefully during several tests and I always use masking tape. The head pressure is fine and the boards are square.

Even if I don't use the feature, it'd still be nice to get to the bottom of it, I guess out of curiosity if nothing else.

Oldtrainerguy
01-21-2011, 11:25 AM
As a junior member I agree with Ken. Use a router. I have had the same issues and rather than using the machines cut time I do mine on a table router. No more than I use one right now it makes more sense to save my bits and cut motor. You dont ruin projects and are able to adapt.