PDA

View Full Version : Turn on the Light

geared up
01-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Would anyone be interested in adding a light to their machine. I recently got a used Compucarve and added and LED light to the inside of my machine so I could see it in motion and the progress of the task. It has an on/off switch, a disconnection point so the cover can be removed, the LED is waterproof and you don't have to worry about dust. It won't get hot and will run for 50,000 hrs. If you are interested I will sell the plans for $9.99 or you can purchase the kit for $70.00. You can email me at geared_up@comcast.net if interested. I can email a picture to show how bright the LEDs are inside the machine.

Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
01-20-2011, 11:47 AM
That is a very high price for a strip of LED's....

To be fair and give fellow users a more cost effective option.....

Search eBay for "Reel LED".

You will find white LED Strips in 6 Meter long rolls. Every 3 LED's you can cut with scissors and it has solder pads to attach 2 wires. Plus and Minus 12 volts DC. I have some for a project and plan to install some inside my CW's.

I paid close to $60.00 a roll but I see they are down to $14.00 a roll with free shipping from China.

All you would need to do is lay down some RTV on the inside of the cover between the clear cover and the flex slot while the cover was up side down on a table. Push a length of the LED's into it with wires attached and wait until it drys. You could use the RCA Phono Jacks from Radio Shack and a Switch to power it from a transformer or Radio Shack sells the power transformers, tips and the power jack that you could mount on the cover.

Since this is the first post from our new member and the prices are way out of line in my opinion, I thought I would post an alternative.

This reminds me of the guy on eBay selling mostly FREE patterns for a high price.

As far as sealed from dust.... Well it would not be a big problem with low voltage and no heat from the LED's.

Strips of this type LED's would work well to illuminate a Litho or a Cast Acrylic Sign cut on your CW set into a wooden base with a strip of LED's on the bottom.

AL

chebytrk
01-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Great Idea Al! Hope to see your "light show" when it's all finished. Thanks

geared up
01-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Would anyone be interested in adding a light to their machine. I recently got a used Compucarve and added and LED light to the inside of my machine so I could see it in motion and the progress of the task. It has an on/off switch, a disconnection point so the cover can be removed, the LED is waterproof and you don't have to worry about dust. It won't get hot and will run for 50,000 hrs. If you are interested I will sell the plans for $9.99 or you can purchase the kit for $70.00. You can email me at geared_up@comcast.net if interested. I can email a picture to show how bright the LEDs are inside the machine.

Thanks
This does not only include the led but also the adapter for 120vac/12vdc, switch, and mounts. ready to put on in 15 mins.

Digitalwoodshop
01-20-2011, 12:39 PM
My plan is to use strips to make a illuminated Hitch Covers with the Fire Dept stuff. I bought a bunch of the Northern Tool 12 Volt Red Hitch Covers. I pulled the bulb and lens and I am working on Translucent Epoxy Domed Maltese Cross's with Fire Dept Numbers. It was the cheapest way to get the plug and case.

I am sure a resourceful person here could offer 14 inch strips of LED's with the wires soldered on the end with a switch and jack to mount on the cover. Then a $20.00 Radio Shack Transformer and your good to go....

One of the pictures shows the power jack that has the nut on the top..... This type could have the wires soldered to it and just a hole in the top cover and push the jack through and place the nut on it and your done.

The other picture is a Radio Shack Transformer in 12 volt mA amp. It has a plug on the end and you buy the matching tip or some stores have given me the tip free with a transformer. There is a dot on the plug and cable showing one way Tip Positive and the other Tip Negative. You would need to know which way the LED strip was wired. One way it will work, the other it would not, but could smoke the LED's. Careful.

The most expensive part is the AC Adaptor.

AL

cnsranch
01-20-2011, 12:59 PM
That is a very high price for a strip of LED's....
AL

Are you sure?

Hey, if MT can get over $200 for his yo-yo plans on amazon, this poor guy oughta be able to get $70 for some lights.

(Insert elbow in rib, here, so I don't get killed)

Digitalwoodshop
01-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Snicker.......

AL

dbfletcher
01-20-2011, 06:52 PM
And if the LED's are too bright.. I'll sell you a strip fo dark emitting diodes (DED's), to dim it down some.... all for the low price of $30!

Digitalwoodshop
01-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Then there is the LED Light Saber Bit for 69.99 plus shipping and handling.....

You will need your own Flex Capacitor and a one point twenty-one jiggawatts Power Supply.

You won't need multi pass mode for a cut path with this puppy....

Picture Shown is 2008 QC Model, CT Version now is stock and is going FAST.... Get your's today...

AL

dbfletcher
01-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Somebody's got a bit too much time on their hands!!! Good one thou... I do remember that April Fools day joke LHR put out there.

JMD
01-21-2011, 09:28 AM
I must not have had enough coffin yet, but I can not find these lights. Could you send me to the seller? Thank you. Sometimes the the more I try to learn the dumber I get.

To be fair and give fellow users a more cost effective option.....

Search eBay for "Reel LED".

You will find white LED Strips in 6 Meter long rolls. Every 3 LED's you can cut with scissors and it has solder pads to attach 2 wires. Plus and Minus 12 volts DC. I have some for a project and plan to install some inside my CW's.

I paid close to $60.00 a roll but I see they are down to $14.00 a roll with free shipping from China.

All you would need to do is lay down some RTV on the inside of the cover between the clear cover and the flex slot while the cover was up side down on a table. Push a length of the LED's into it with wires attached and wait until it drys. You could use the RCA Phono Jacks from Radio Shack and a Switch to power it from a transformer or Radio Shack sells the power transformers, tips and the power jack that you could mount on the cover.

Since this is the first post from our new member and the prices are way out of line in my opinion, I thought I would post an alternative.

This reminds me of the guy on eBay selling mostly FREE patterns for a high price.

As far as sealed from dust.... Well it would not be a big problem with low voltage and no heat from the LED's.

Strips of this type LED's would work well to illuminate a Litho or a Cast Acrylic Sign cut on your CW set into a wooden base with a strip of LED's on the bottom.

AL[/QUOTE]

atauer
01-21-2011, 09:54 AM
And if the LED's are too bright.. I'll sell you a strip fo dark emitting diodes (DED's), to dim it down some.... all for the low price of $30!

Lol

Good one Doug.

Digitalwoodshop
01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Some eBay Reel LED sellers.

http://shop.ebay.com/cogrand/m.html

http://stores.ebay.com/daydaygo

http://stores.ebay.com/STMMusicGear

lilskip
02-24-2011, 09:36 PM
I can across this Thread and it got me to thinking after I stopping laughing. So I did a little research at one of my favorite stores.(ebay), and came up with this going with the roll of LED's that can be segmented. I found a small power transformer that could be hardwired to the power switch and then to the LED segments so it would come on when the machine comes on. I also found a a 12in LED strip light that can be wired to 110v without a transformer. Lastly a Mini 4LED Sound Activated Light that runs off of AAA batteries and can stick anywhere( Surely the CW makes enough noise to turn it on.) All these options are around $10 or less
Here are the links.
POWER TRANSFORMER (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390246566460&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en)
12IN STRIP LIGHT (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350354626992&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en)
MINI SOUND ACTIVATED LIGHT (http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-2-Sound-Activated-LED-Spot-Lights-/370438359821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563fd8cb0d)
Just thought it was a good idea MOD and thought I would add my 2 cents.......

Digitalwoodshop
02-24-2011, 11:41 PM
All BRIGHT Ideas....

Couldn't Resist....

It's the Epoxy Fumes....

AL