PDA

View Full Version : Four-fluted carving bit

Jonny
01-20-2011, 07:45 AM
I got my machine from carvewright.com last year 1 day before they released the "version C" (yeah 1 day!). It was the refurbished model with the carvetight spindle, and it came with a 3-fluted carving bit. I remember seeing awhile back some discussion on here about the 4-fluted bits working better, and at the time, I think carvewright.com's store sold the 4-fluted replacement bit for the carvetight setup.

Now that I need a new one, (machine kept going without asking me to change bits when I carved something that had carve and cut path, and burned the bit badly cutting with the carving bit!) I see the store here has 3-fluted bits again. I found 4-fluted ones on a site elsewhere, but they're only for the old quick-chuck setup.

Is the 4-fluted one that much better? If so, any suggestions where to get one for the carvetight? I don't mind waiting, more money, etc., if it's worth it to go 4-fluted.

Frederick_P
01-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Try these: http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp
The ZrN coated ones are even more durable.

dbfletcher
01-20-2011, 10:30 AM
I got my machine from carvewright.com last year 1 day before they released the "version C" (yeah 1 day!). It was the refurbished model with the carvetight spindle, and it came with a 3-fluted carving bit. I remember seeing awhile back some discussion on here about the 4-fluted bits working better, and at the time, I think carvewright.com's store sold the 4-fluted replacement bit for the carvetight setup.

Now that I need a new one, (machine kept going without asking me to change bits when I carved something that had carve and cut path, and burned the bit badly cutting with the carving bit!) I see the store here has 3-fluted bits again. I found 4-fluted ones on a site elsewhere, but they're only for the old quick-chuck setup.

Is the 4-fluted one that much better? If so, any suggestions where to get one for the carvetight? I don't mind waiting, more money, etc., if it's worth it to go 4-fluted.

AFAIK... carving and cutting bit for the CT chuck are only availible thru LHR. They require a pressed on collar. I have read a few posts about members having machinst press out the old bit and press in a new one's, but for a turnkey product, I think LHR is still a single source for those two bits. I'm pretty sure rjustice also sells a 4 flute bit for the rock and QC chucks

Jonny
01-20-2011, 04:50 PM
The link that Frederick posted is the one I'd found, but like db is pointing out, the CT takes, or took, as it seems now, the pressed on collar. The carvewright.com store I just now noticed, has the 1/2 inch collet and rubber spacers available for the CT. I know it wasn't like that before unless I'm going crazy.

SO as it is now, unless I'm mistaken, I can get the collet and spacers from the store here, and buy a 4-fluted bit from the link above?

dbfletcher
01-20-2011, 05:00 PM
The link that Frederick posted is the one I'd found, but like db is pointing out, the CT takes, or took, as it seems now, the pressed on collar. The carvewright.com store I just now noticed, has the 1/2 inch collet and rubber spacers available for the CT. I know it wasn't like that before unless I'm going crazy.

SO as it is now, unless I'm mistaken, I can get the collet and spacers from the store here, and buy a 4-fluted bit from the link above?

"At your own risk"... LHR insists that collets will not work with those two bits (cutting/carving) and you must use ones with pressed on sleeves.

lynnfrwd
01-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Just to clarify some things:

The carbide bits - 1/16" carving (four-flute only), 1/8" cutting and 3/16" cutting bits need to have the hard pressed on adapters to keep the bit from slipping.

The bits that have the steel shafts - all decorative bits and 1/16" cutting bit (it is a carbide bit, but the outer part of the shaft is steel to get it to the 1/4" size) can use the 1/4" split collet and rubber stops (1/16" cutting bit doesn't need a rubber stop collar).

dbfletcher
01-20-2011, 05:26 PM

The carbide bits - 1/16" carving (four-flute only), 1/8" cutting and 3/16" cutting bits need to have the hard pressed on adapters to keep the bit from slipping.

The bits that have the steel shafts - all decorative bits and 1/16" cutting bit (it is a carbide bit, but the outer part of the shaft is steel to get it to the 1/4" size) can use the 1/4" split collet and rubber stops (1/16" cutting bit doesn't need a rubber stop collar).

I thought the carving bits from LHR have always been 3 flute?? Did you change or now offer a 4 flute carving bit?

lynnfrwd
01-20-2011, 05:51 PM
I thought the carving bits from LHR have always been 3 flute?? Did you change or now offer a 4 flute carving bit?
I had to go ask, because I had no idea if it was 3 flute, 4 flute or a Piccalo! From what I understand, when we first came out with a carving bit (pre-ME!) they were 3-flute, but VERY SOON after, they changed to 4-flute. That is what we have sold ever since.

dbfletcher
01-20-2011, 06:02 PM
I had to go ask, because I had no idea if it was 3 flute, 4 flute or a Piccalo! From what I understand, when we first came out with a carving bit (pre-ME!) they were 3-flute, but VERY SOON after, they changed to 4-flute. That is what we have sold ever since.

Thanks for the info.. and to think after all this time I was still under that old assumption. I should be demoted back to junior member status now.

lynnfrwd
01-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the info.. and to think after all this time I was still under that old assumption. I should be demoted back to junior member status now.

I might have he "permissions" to do that! LOL!!

Jonny
01-20-2011, 06:30 PM

Ahh that's where I was mixed up. I saw the text talking about the decorative bits (steel) then saw the collet and it said for CT... didn't think about the carving bits being carbide.

Can you make doubly sure yours is 4-flutes? The store still says 3 flutes now. It used to say 4 flutes about 3-5 months ago (I remember this because my machine came with a 3-fluted bit this past summer and I instantly looked at the store and saw the 4 fluted one and almost bought it then), but sometime between then and now it's changed back. The description right now says 3.

Thanks everyone for all the help with this.

lynnfrwd
01-20-2011, 07:46 PM
I confirm in AM. Right now I'm bowling. Such fun but I had to check up on u guys...ur fun too!!

mtylerfl
01-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Ahh that's where I was mixed up. I saw the text talking about the decorative bits (steel) then saw the collet and it said for CT... didn't think about the carving bits being carbide.

Hi Jonny,

The Tips & Tricks ISSUE 29 April 2010 – Announcing the CarveTight (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Apr10.pdf) explains quite a lot of detail about which bits are which, why some need the pressed on collet, etc. etc. I think you'll find it interesting and informative.

lynnfrwd
01-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Confirming now from owner...it is and has always been a 3-flute. I stand corrected.

dbfletcher
01-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Confirming now from owner...it is and has always been a 3-flute. I stand corrected.

whoo hoo!!! I guess that means I get to keep my senior status now!! btw.. still waiting to hear what your series was... I always thougth bowling was just popular up north.

lynnfrwd
01-20-2011, 09:01 PM
It was electronic bowling and I stink!! Too embarrassed to say but had fun!!

Jonny
01-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the confirmation and the info link guys. 3-fluted bit here I come.