PDA

View Full Version : Tempe rature Sensitive Machine

DStimpson
01-20-2011, 05:06 AM
Hey guys, I just recently discovered something I thought I would share.

I have my machine in my not always heated garage. Consequently, when it is cold outside and in my shop (garage), I start my kerosene and/or propane heaters up and go to work.

What I have discovered is that the Carvewright seems to be somewhat sensitive to cold temperatures. Specifically, if I don't allow sufficient time for the machine to warm slightly, I will consistently get "Clear Board Sensor" errors when the machine is first starting the measuring process.

This drove me crazy until I put 2 and 2 together and waited for the ambient temperature in my shop to come up a little. If the shop has "cold soaked" for a while (if I haven't warmed it in a few days), it may take 30 minutes to an hour for the machine to warm enough.

It is very apparent when it is warm enough......all of a sudden the machine magically spins through the set-up like normal.

I don't know, maybe this info is not the revelation I think it is, but I can tell you it caused me a fair amount of frustration recycling the start up process over and over, cleaning the board sensor time after time until .......bingo.........it all of a sudden worked.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth for today.

David S.
(lacking a witty by-line normally inserted HERE)

DStimpson
01-20-2011, 05:12 AM
By the way, a quick question:

How the heck long am I going to be a "Junior Member" of the forum??

It's no big deal, but I have been a member since April of 2008, have posted 43 times, have submitted project pictures on the site.......I am just wondering.

I KNOW.......I need a witty by-line after my signature line...........just kidding...........but I will try to think of one........just in case!!!

David S.
(witty by-line pending...)

AskBud
01-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Here is an old thread where I pointed out how I keep my machines warm.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?14139-Carver-gets-too-cold&p=117570#post117570

Jeff_Birt
01-20-2011, 07:10 AM
There is a note in the user's manual about the operating temperature of the machine. Interestingly the more precise a machine is the more temperature can have an effect. We had to 'exercise' our surface mount assembly machines at my previous employer to get everything up to operating temperatures before trying to build boards.

lynnfrwd
01-20-2011, 08:05 AM

It's no big deal, but I have been a member since April of 2008, have posted 43 times, have submitted project pictures on the site.......I am just wondering.

I KNOW.......I need a witty by-line after my signature line...........just kidding...........but I will try to think of one........just in case!!!

David S.

I think it has to do with number of posts.

Title # of Posts
Senior Member 1000+
Member 500-999
Junior Member 0-499

You're a Senior Member that just doesn't talk very much! I'll bet when you do...everyone listens! Kind of like EF Hutton!

Ike
01-20-2011, 10:09 AM
David for a quick warm up I use a hair dryer, but don't tell your wife! I place it inside and it warms the rails and inside. Once it is warmed up I found it will work in cold temps, but it is still better to have a warm shop!

Ike

PCW
01-20-2011, 12:48 PM

David S.

LOL from my calculations at the current rate around 31 years.

cnsranch
01-20-2011, 12:50 PM
LOL from my calculations at the current rate around 31 years.

That's funny, right there - I don't care who you are.

DStimpson
01-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Well fellers, thanks for all the quick responses to my posts.

From those responses, I have formulated TWO undeniable truths......

1.) If I gotta have 1000+ posts to become a Senior Member.....well boys, I just ain't never gonna make it cause I ain't never gonna have that much to say!!!!

1a.) It ain't nuthin agin the Senior Members, but LORDY, how do you possibly find the time to post multiple-thousands of times?!?!?!? Ain't ya got wives, kids, dogs, houses, etc.?!?!?!

2. This here "Ask Bud" feller has got him a thread for absoulutely EVERYTHING!!! What a resource!!! I really do appreciate it, honest............

Anyway, all fun aside.......I do really appreciate the wisdom, humor, stories of the road, and the family feeling of our forums......a real heart-felt thanks.

Now, if I can only think up about 950 more things to post..........

The "Never gonna be a Senior Member at this rate" member,

David S.

PCW
01-20-2011, 01:42 PM
1a.) It ain't nuthin agin the Senior Members, but LORDY, how do you possibly find the time to post multiple-thousands of times?!?!?!? Ain't ya got wives, kids, dogs, houses, etc.?!?!?!

David S.

David,

It always pays to have a sense of humor but in all honesty I owe about 1368 posts to the quick chuck. Hmmm... sometimes I wonder why LHR let me stay here for so long. <insert smile here>

Deolman
01-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Yup temperature is a problem. It is 33 degrees right now in my garage. It does get colder at night. You might say it is in cold storage until spring time. I throw a towel over it in November and in the spring time give it a thorough cleaning and lube job. It has done just fine this way for several years now. Now is the time I get to do my designing and planning.

cnsranch
01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
1.) If I gotta have 1000+ posts to become a Senior Member.....well boys, I just ain't never gonna make it cause I ain't never gonna have that much to say!!!!

David S.

You gotta be smart about this - you could have made this into about 5 or 6 posts (either that, or just start making stuff up, like the rest of us).

cnsranch
01-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Ain't ya got wives, kids, dogs, houses, etc.?!?!?!
David S.

Yep, but I've been married 29 years - that's why I'm on the computer!!

(See how this works? I just got two more posts !!!!!)

DStimpson
01-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Oh........I see.........Tricky, very tricky....

I considered responding with a sentence broken up into single word posts, but that would really aggravate me if someone else did it......so I'll just keep plodding along.........Hey, I know!!! Anybody wanna play a game of chess here in the forum......you know, one move per post. The way I play chess, that could run into upwards of 5 or 6 posts before I get checkmated!!!

David S.

lynnfrwd
01-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Oh man!!!! I tried to temporarily edit the Senior Members' Titles to "Forum Hogs", but I, evidently, don't have "ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSION" to do that. Probably, just as well....

Have a great evening everyone!

Kenm810
01-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Quote: edit the Senior Members' Titles to "Forum Hogs" ------ Hmmmmmm -- nuff said

lynnfrwd
01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote: edit the Senior Members' Titles to "Forum Hogs" ------ Hmmmmmm -- nuff said

Ken...you better know my sense of humor well enough by now to know that I'm teasing you guys!

I just wanted to do it for about 30 minutes and see who noticed! Almost got away with it too!

Kenm810
01-20-2011, 06:51 PM
No Worries --I know it's all Tongue in Cheek --- for a long time I asked if mine could be changed to "Old Fart Member"

badger2424
01-20-2011, 07:39 PM
You guys are nuts!

badger2424
01-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Only 950 some odd posts to go.

hray
01-20-2011, 10:33 PM
at my age being called jr seems to put spring in my step

Deolman
01-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Yeah, me too. But I guess the name betrays me.

Elmo Sr
12-19-2013, 07:14 AM
well i am right there with you David only been a member a year and and have probably only 20 posts and i am 70 so i probably never make it either---LOL

Proctorw
12-19-2013, 09:12 AM
Maybe the "Seniors" should be able to name their level. "Grand Wizards of the CarveWright" would seem to fit...as they have helped me out when I am in trouble. And I knew Connie was saying what she did Tongue in Cheek...