PDA

View Full Version : I'm Stuck On You! - Project of the Month Feb 2011

mtylerfl
01-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for FEBRUARY 2011), called I'm Stuck On You!

Here’s a unique Valentine’s Day gift you can make for your sweetheart that should ‘stick around’ for a long time! This all-wooden potted cactus features heart-shaped cactus pads and a ‘garden sign’ that will remind him/her all year that “I’m Stuck On You!” You may want to include a romantic dinner and a box of chocolates along with it though, just to be on the safe side!

The project requires no special bits and uses just the two standard bits that came with your machine. Inserting/gluing the toothpick ‘stickers’ is optional...it will still look like a cactus, with or without the stickers! (I made mine with the stickers to emphasize the “stuck on you” theme). The overall finished dimensions of the assembled Stuck On You project are about 6˝" round x 9˝" tall.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Cactus_Pot_and_Platter.mpc
• Cactus_Hearts.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Pot and Platter: 0.75" x 11" x 23"
Cactus Hearts: 0.75" x 9.25" x 16"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Round wooden toothpicks, 1/4" dia. dowel, tweezers, wood glue, CA Glue (med. & thin), CA Activator spray, long-thin glue bottle tips, quick-set epoxy, self-stick felt or cork

4) Clamps, drill, sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my “I’m Stuck On You” project made from Select Pine:

The Cactus:
• 2 coats Bullseye SealCoat, straight from can, sanding between coats (brushed on)
• Applied thinned water-based stain - as a glazing technique (Minwax Express Color tube in Emerald color)
• 3 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss Acrylic spray

The Pot and Platter:
• 2 light coats of thinned Bullseye SealCoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
• Applied Minwax Sedona Red stain #222

The Sign and Sign Dowel:
• Applied Minwax Colonial stain #223
• Painted the sign letters with a Brown Paint Marker

NOTE: I used Krylon Clear SATIN as the final clearcoat overall to reduce the shine from gloss coats previously applied on the cactus pads and the pot assembly. I prefer a satin finish on most of my projects, but that’s just a matter of personal preference.

dbfletcher
01-18-2011, 11:36 AM
woo hoo!!!!! This one looks like it will be lots of fun. Assuming i dont impale myself on the toothpicks. Great job as usual!

Ike
01-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Wow Michael you out did yourself! Too bad my subscription ran out!

Ike

mtylerfl
01-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks, guys! It was a FUN project to do! My wife saw it as it was coming together, so she got part of her Valentine's Day stuff already! (still need to get that box of chocolates and the dinner!)

rcdages
01-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Michael,

You render me speechless with another out of sight project.

OUTSTANDING

Looking forward to doing it as soon as I receive it. I am going to use a sled.

mtylerfl
01-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Thank you, Robert!

LittleRedWoodshop
01-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Very nice .... where do you come up with this stuff.

Awesome as usual...... !

liquidguitars
01-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Very cool I love the cactus and planter!

mtylerfl
01-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks Jason and LG!

Capt Bruce
01-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Oh Darn,

One more that moved to the top of my "I've got to carve this" list. You do continue to amaze us Michael.

mtylerfl
01-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Thank you, Capt Bruce! Hope you have fun making it!