PDA

View Full Version : Will someone import a DFX for me?

DickB
01-17-2011, 04:50 PM
A buddy has designed a small bracket using Sketchup and sent me a DXF. I offered to cut parts for him if someone will import the DXF for me and save the vector in a project so I can use it.

Thanks in advance.

dbfletcher
01-17-2011, 05:18 PM
A buddy has designed a small bracket using Sketchup and sent me a DXF. I offered to cut parts for him if someone will import the DXF for me and save the vector in a project so I can use it.

Thanks in advance.

Is there something special about the bracket that you dont want posted here? If not, I would just zip the file and add it as an attachment. Then you will probably get several converted versions and you can choose which is best.

edzbaker
01-17-2011, 05:22 PM
I would be glad to import the DFX and post the pattern, But, will designer allow yu to cut the pattern if you don't have the Importer installed ?? I have attached one so that someone that doesn't have DFX importer could test this idea. If you want one imported and posted (or e-mailed back to you), just drop me a PM and I'll give you my e-mail.

DickB
01-17-2011, 05:24 PM
OK. Nothing special. I could use the bracket in both horizontal and vertical orientations.

DickB
01-17-2011, 05:27 PM
I would be glad to import the DFX and post the pattern, But, will designer allow yu to cut the pattern if you don't have the Importer installed ?? I have attached one so that someone that doesn't have DFX importer could test this idea. If you want one imported and posted (or e-mailed back to you), just drop me a PM and I'll give you my e-mail.
Yup, I was able to upload it to my card, alter it, and save it no problem.

Cabinetdesigner
01-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Yup, I was able to upload it to my card, alter it, and save it no problem.
see if this will work sorry has the wrong name but is the right part

DaveN
01-17-2011, 06:14 PM
I did the import but it had a warning "Not all of the DXF file could be imported"

Kenm810
01-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Same Happened to me when I tried, I saved the results with AI as a Pdf file
then saved that as a Png file in Paint.Net, and imported that into CW Designer as a Ptn file,
then picked its pattern to make a Mpc File. ------ Who's on first??

DickB
01-17-2011, 06:46 PM
see if this will work sorry has the wrong name but is the right part
Thanks; that looks like it!

DickB
01-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Same Happened to me when I tried, I saved the results with AI as a Pdf file
then saved that as a Png file in Paint.Net, and imported that into CW Designer as a Ptn file,
then picked its pattern to make a Mpc File. ------ Who's on first??
I was able to do something similar, but my buddy and I really wanted to compare that method versus direct DXF import.

Thanks!

DickB
01-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks again for the help. I just finished the brackets. However one of them did not cut completely - software bug? It was copied and pasted from the first like all the rest. Looks to be salvageable with a saw.

The one in the vertical orientation was added as an experiment - it was derived from a .gif, made into a pattern, outlined, then the pattern was deleted. I wanted to compare versus DXF. I can discern no difference in the finished product. We'll see what my buddy thinks.

dberman
11-29-2012, 11:38 AM
I love when people use their Carvewright equipment for engineering practical solutions for real situations. The system is capable of much more than making signs (although I really enjoy making crazy signs).

I am looking to carve a 4 step stair stringer with my Carvewright. I have a dxf file created, but do not own the dxf importer. Does anyone want to help me out by importing the file for me, then sending it back? I have posted the dxf file.

Much appreciated.

chief2007
11-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Try this and see if that is what you want

dberman
11-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Chief,

You are the best. The file only needed a little bit of work to clean up. The dxf importer also converted some items that were on a differenf layer, but they were easily deleted.

I will post a pic of the stringer after tme machining has been completed.

All the best,
Dana Berman

dberman
12-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Team,

I worked all weekend and have almost completed the blanks for my staircase. I was also playing with the DXF that was imported for me, although I am having dificulty laying it out on the board in the Project Designer Software. Setting the cutting region and the depth of cut is also challenging at this point. I have been reading the forums and doing the tutorials to learn, but many links are not working on the Carvewright site.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Dana