PDA

View Full Version : Quality Setting & Size

bjwisdom
01-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Which quality setting will produce the actual size of the original scan when brought into Editor? I read somewhere that the newest software will reproduce the scan to the original dimensions. Is the scanning software automatically updated when you are running the current version of designer or is it a separate download? Scans keep coming out smaller than original. It is an irregular shaped object so cannot be measured accurately.

Cabinetdesigner
01-15-2011, 10:20 PM
this is just a shot in the dark but when you create the pattern and place it have you tried to uncheck the box that say scale to fit board? Im not sure if this would make a difference or not.

thanks
Joe

kool69sporty
01-16-2011, 09:56 AM
BJ, its my understanding that "BEST" quality set at the CarveWright LCD panel will give 1:1 scan ratios. I've used "DRAFT" a number of times for low detail scans and they all come out small. I think it has to do with the X-stepover. Step size of 0.040" for "DRAFT", 0.020" for "NORMAL", 0.010" for "BEST" and 0.005" for "OPTIMAL". I've not run all resolutions of the same object to verify, however. Joe

mtylerfl
01-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Hi Joe,

The carve quality setting should not affect the outcome of the size...only the step-over of the bit to yield better (or worse) actual carve quality. When you place the pattern on your board, does the Designer preview show the correct size/dimensions? Are you getting a scaling prompt at your machine during the project setup? Do you have an example MPC that you've experienced the problem on? If so, please post it. Can you also post the MPW (raw scan)? Might help us to help you.

EDIT: Very Important...are you running the latest software version 1.177?

kool69sporty
01-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Michael, I haven't make any scans since upgrading to Designer Ver. 1.177. I will run scans of a simple object at the various resolutions and post results. Thnx for the comments. Regards, Joe

mtylerfl
01-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Michael, I haven't make any scans since upgrading to Designer Ver. 1.177. I will run scans of a simple object at the various resolutions and post results. Thnx for the comments. Regards, Joe

Hi Joe,

Thank you very much for taking the time to do that! A lot of us are looking forward to reading about the results of your testing.

Thanks again!

kool69sporty
01-19-2011, 07:46 PM
I ran a simple test of a small object to verify "quality setting & size" for the scan tool. And I can say that the results were anti-climatic. Using Ver. 1.177 and the LHR plastic protectors on the scan tool probe, I ran scans of a standard 1/2 hex nut. These have 3/4 wrench flats. Scans at "Draft", "Normal" & "Best" all resulted in the same size object in Pattern Editor. I didn't do any smoothing or other editing to the scanned files and placed them all onto a project board. Its obvious that all objects came out the same size, regardless of scan quality. I placed a 3/4" diameter circle onto one of the scanned patterns and it fits the wrench flats very well. Scans with the latest software version perform as advertised! By the way, the draft quality scan (left side) is a little corrupted from a loose Z-axis bearing, which I adjusted for the other scans. Joe

CarverJerry
01-19-2011, 08:02 PM
kool69sporty.......your attachment didn't come out, can you please repost it...

CJ

mtylerfl
01-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Joe,

Thank you for performing the test and posting the results! Excellent confirmation of the scanning procedure working properly, as intended.

We all appreciate the time you spent on this!