PDA

View Full Version : Bit Breakage Due to Loose Cover Switch Wire

Oldtrainerguy
01-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Just broke my last 1/8 th cutting bit ARRGH!
Cover switch fixed but bit snapped as truck was coming down to rout figure.
I am livid! New beefier 3/16 will be here today but need to start some porjects I am behind.

Any suggestions?

Dan-Woodman
01-15-2011, 06:07 PM
ROAD TRIP
Your in Texas, take a road trip. You may not even be close to Pasadena, I don't know , but it sounded good.
later Daniel

dbfletcher
01-15-2011, 06:13 PM
I am livid! New beefier 3/16 will be here today but need to start some porjects I am behind.

Any suggestions?

Have you mentioned what chuck you are using? If it snapped on it way down to start the route I would be thinking runout.

bjbethke
01-15-2011, 09:08 PM

Any suggestions?

Most of the time it is your bit is not locked in the chuck. I have snaped 1/4 inch bits in my routers that way, in the CW unit make sure it is locked.double check.

Oldtrainerguy
01-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Using CT chuck. Bit was locked in.

AskBud
01-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Using CT chuck. Bit was locked in.
Just a dumb question, but I'll ask.
Were the bits ones with the "Pressed on Sleeves", or were you using the bits in a Split Collet?
AskBud

Oldtrainerguy
01-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Pressed on collet for both.

Digitalwoodshop
01-16-2011, 06:36 PM

Any suggestions?

I am confused.... "Broke 1/8 th cutting bit as truck was coming down to rout figure." Were you using the 1/8 inch cutting bit where you should have used a Carving Bit... The Tapered Bit? The 1/8th Cutting Bit is designed for VECTOR cutting of Cut Path's or Lines. All Raster Cuts need to be done with the 1/16 th tapered Carving Bit. The 1/8th cutting bit just cannot stand the side to side stress of raster cutting.

If you did indeed snap the 1/8 inch cutting bit while doing a cut out like the rectangle for the switch or the rectangle of the outline, then how were you holding the wood? Did the wood move? Did you use masking tape on the bottom of the board? Did you allow more than 3.5 inches of wood to stay under the rollers? Did you use a sled?

So many questions.... This could just be Pilot Error..... Using the wrong bit or the board popping up only being held by one roller....

Sorry to be so blunt... But they are very important questions.... The little details.....

AL

Oldtrainerguy
01-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Sorry I was not as detailed as I should have been. I was doing a round box project for valentines day. The first part of the project is done with the cutting bit. Then the board is flipped and done with both the cutting and the carving bit. I did finally ID the problem. There was a loose wire to from the cover switch to the cut motor. It was enough to cause the motor to cut out and stop the carve/cut but still allow the board to move just enough to put pressure on the bit and bind/break it. I finally got a cut motor error mesage and there was no power getting to the cut motor. The connection finally loosened enough to be obvious. I will check this on a "regular basis from now on.

Digitalwoodshop
01-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Good job !!!!!!

Al

Oldtrainerguy
01-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks AL

Hope others make a periodic check of those two little wires from the right side cover switch to the cut motor during routine maintainecnce. Might save 80 bucks in bits