PDA

View Full Version : Carve Tight ins and outs.

dglover
01-14-2011, 04:27 PM
I would like some feedback on the carvetight system. Is it good, better than standard, is it worth purchasing, Thinking about getting one but want to know the ins and outs.

AskBud
01-14-2011, 04:48 PM
I would like some feedback on the carvetight system. Is it good, better than standard, is it worth purchasing, Thinking about getting one but want to know the ins and outs.
Installing the CarveTight (CT) is a very good option!
It gives you a new assembly, with new bearings in place.
The old assembly, used by the QuickChange (QC) chuck may have ruined bearings due to the vibration of the QC operation. The longer you use the QC, the more chance you have of excess vibration. This vibration will also affect other parts and electronics as well. All you have to do is read some of the former problem threads to put two & two together.

You will, when ordering the CT, need to order both the Carving Bit and a Cutting Bit with the "Pressed on sleeve" as the old bits will not hold well enough in the new CT assembly. All other bits will still work, however, you will also need at least one "Split Collet" for your 1/4" shank bits. The 1/2" shanks work without any extra gear.

The vibration is gone! I have made full depth cut paths in Oak, Cherry, maple and other woods with no breakage since I changed my two units the the CT Assembly.
AskBud

cestout
01-14-2011, 05:40 PM
I think switching to the CT is a no-brain-er. There is absolutely no run-out and non of the other old problems. About 250 hrs and no problems. I had new old bits ( Sears had them on the clearance table cheep) so when my sleeved bits wore out, I had a macheist press the bits out of the sleeves and press the new old ones in. Amazon sells the bits and you end up with free shipping.
Clint

DickB
01-14-2011, 06:30 PM
I switched to the CT when my QC self-destructed. I would say definitely worth the cost. Bit changes are so much simpler and without effort. With the QC, I had to constantly lube the thing and the still occasionally struggle with bit changes - no more. The CT has much lower run-out; the quality of carving was noticeably better on the first carve.