PDA

View Full Version : know what this is?

CarverJerry
01-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Ok, I broke the 1/8" bit tonight, I don't know why but when it asked for the bit I put it in, it spun up a little as always and went to the keypad side and went down past the sled, which it always does but this time I think it may have still been spinning just a little and it snapped off. When I looked for the broken piece of tool I seen this cap looking part (shown in the picture) and got it with a magnet. You can see where the tool hit it. I just don't really know exactly where it goes, what its called, what it does, or how to get to where it belongs. I'm sure it's a little bent so any advise on what I should do would sure be welcomed.

Thanks
CarverJerry

dbfletcher
01-13-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that is the little metal clip that goes over the plastic triangle part on the keypad side. That is what use to get "drilled" thru all the time on earlier machine. I bought a used machine that had one that I thought the user added, but a few months after that, someone posted a pic just like you did asking about that part. I had ask LHR to cnfirm they has shiped some machien with that little metal clip to help prevent drill thru's, but they never responded to the thread.

Digitalwoodshop
01-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Not sure on the part but the Bit still coasting to a stop when bobbing on the left is a sign that it is time to change the cut motor brushes....

Good Luck,

AL

earlyrider
01-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Al, I put new brushes in mine and it still does that. Someone suggested to hit the stop button after the runup, but before the touch off, and restart after the bit stops spinning. This works as a good workaround.
Ron

chebytrk
01-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Al, I put new brushes in mine and it still does that. Someone suggested to hit the stop button after the runup, but before the touch off, and restart after the bit stops spinning. This works as a good workaround.
Ron
Yup... that's what I do. My machine has less than 25hrs on it and it spins like that sometimes so I just press stop until it stops spinning. Then I continue on......

CarverJerry
01-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks everyone, I've got a new 1/8" bit coming my way and it is just about time for the cut motor brush change as I've got close to 250 hours on this one. Guess I'll try and get to the spot where this metal clip goes and get it back on. Now I'll keep my eye on the tool to see if the new brushes help stop the tool, other wise I'll do like you guys say as a work around. I want to say thanks to Ron Justice for the fast turn around on that 1/8" bit.

CarverJerry

JMD
01-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Mine started doing that when I put the Rock Chuck on it. Not a problem. Like the others said, just stop the machine for a few seconds.

Smoken D
01-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Yep, that's what I do, push stop after loading a bit. I think one of the newer versions seems to cause this. Chuck continues to spin as the truck goes down on the key pad side. I only had around 60 hours on new motor brushes and had updated newer version when this began to occurr. In my photo you can see what happens when the bit is still spinning and goes down on the key pad side. If you have the hole on the board tracking sensor when the bit goes down to measure board thickness, will give false reading because it touches nothing and machine will not continue, shuts down.

Dan-Woodman
01-14-2011, 09:33 AM
You would think the RPM sencor would stop the motor before it touched down. Mine does this too, and also reves up real high when it starts to carve then alarms out with "check cut motor" . I only have 150 hrs on mine and its alwas done this.

later Daniel

CarverJerry
01-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Does LHR offer a PDF file on changing the brushes for the cut motor? Sure hope it's an easy task.......

CJ

lynnfrwd
01-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Does LHR offer a PDF file on changing the brushes for the cut motor? Sure hope it's an easy task.......

CJ

Please check out the AC Cut Motor PDF under SUPPORT then MAINTENANCE at www.carvewright.com. This is where we keep Service / Maintenance PDFs on the website. Hope it helps.

CarverJerry
01-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks Lynn, I just happened to stumble across that and I downloaded all the stuff they had. I just hope its not too intense of a job.

CJ

fwharris
01-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Jerry,

Not a hard job at all. Remove the motor and then the covers for each brush. Use a LARGE screw driver on the brush cover screws.

brdad
01-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Agreed, this seems like a fairly easy fix for an obvious issue for many carvers. The operator should not have to stop the machine to prevent the spinning bit from hitting the plate.

You would think the RPM sencor would stop the motor before it touched down. Mine does this too, and also reves up real high when it starts to carve then alarms out with "check cut motor" . I only have 150 hrs on mine and its alwas done this.

later Daniel

CarverJerry
01-14-2011, 05:09 PM
The cut motor brush change was a piece of cake. Everything went perfect. I was really shocked just how clean my machine was inside the top cover. I guess using the ring neck blues vacuum attachment with my cincinnati 3/4 hp dust collector did a good job. Thanks for the advise everyone, with the new brushes in now the tool stops before it even gets to the keypad side. I checked my hours and I was at 248 hours and 48 mins, so this shows that the magic number is right around 250.

CJ

Capt Bruce
01-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Given the result of that spinning bit cutting through the board sensor that Smoken D illustrated in the two photos above . . . the rough cut through . . . is there a fix that can be applied for that surface, short of replacing that component? Mine did the same thing quite some time ago. Thanks

dbfletcher
01-14-2011, 06:04 PM
You can either 5 min epoxy it, or I just took a small peice of 1/2 wide metal strapping and fashioned my own little U shaped clip that fits over that bar.

Capt Bruce
01-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks Doug,
Think I'll try the slide on clip method using some mild thin aluminum flashing that should not damage a bit if it's still spinning.

henry1
01-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Yep, that's what I do, push stop after loading a bit. I think one of the newer versions seems to cause this. Chuck continues to spin as the truck goes down on the key pad side. I only had around 60 hours on new motor brushes and had updated newer version when this began to occurr. In my photo you can see what happens when the bit is still spinning and goes down on the key pad side. If you have the hole on the board tracking sensor when the bit goes down to measure board thickness, will give false reading because it touches nothing and machine will not continue, shuts down.
When it keeps on running your brush in the cut moter has to be changed it happen to me

wally57
01-14-2011, 09:07 PM
changing the motor brushes is an easy job. remove the top cover to get to the cutter motor and you will see a cover with a slot in it . Using a screw drive you can remove that cover and inside will be the brush that needs to be replaced. There will be an identical cover on the oppisite side of the motor that you will need to do the same thing to. takes only a few minutes to replace. Make sure you use only the brushes from carve wright or you could do damage to the motor by putting in the wrong size brush . Good luck
Wally57

fwharris
01-14-2011, 11:01 PM
The cut motor brush change was a piece of cake. Everything went perfect. I was really shocked just how clean my machine was inside the top cover. I guess using the ring neck blues vacuum attachment with my cincinnati 3/4 hp dust collector did a good job. Thanks for the advise everyone, with the new brushes in now the tool stops before it even gets to the keypad side. I checked my hours and I was at 248 hours and 48 mins, so this shows that the magic number is right around 250.

CJ

Jerry,

Glad the brush change went good for you and thanks for the report on how clean the machine was. I just did the rubber belt upgrade and figured I would get a good cleaning done since I had to take the keyboard end panel off. Like you there was not much to clean up.

Yes 250 hrs and it is time for the brush change...THANKS AL!!!!

CarverJerry
01-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Oh yeah, I did forget to say that I glued that little piece back on to the triangle plastic part, had to straighten it back up but it snapped back on ok. I also filed the little burr off where the tool hit it while it was still spinning and broke.

CJ

Smoken D
01-15-2011, 09:32 AM
henry1, only had 60 hours on the new brushes that I put on when this happened. Have maybe 100 on them now. But, maybe today I pull the top one and take a look. Who knows :(