PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Explain how to use the STL importer?

ESD_SD
01-13-2011, 12:05 PM
41369Hello, I am currently making a 3d image using 3dsmax of this picture. It is going to be used on wooden plaques. I do not have the STL importer and I was planning on buying it, but i don't know how it works. First off, do i need to make sure my 3d image has the extension .stl? Is that the only extension that is able to be converted into the carvewright software? My second question is, how accurate is the importer? Third is do i need other editing software to edit it once it is imported?
Thank you very much.

dbfletcher
01-13-2011, 01:36 PM
41369Hello, I am currently making a 3d image using 3dsmax of this picture. It is going to be used on wooden plaques. I do not have the STL importer and I was planning on buying it, but i don't know how it works. First off, do i need to make sure my 3d image has the extension .stl? Is that the only extension that is able to be converted into the carvewright software? My second question is, how accurate is the importer? Third is do i need other editing software to edit it once it is imported?
Thank you very much.

STL importer only imports STL files. However, I have used Meshlab (a free download) to convert 3d objects in other fortmats to stl. The importer is very accurate from my experience. For your last question, it would depend on how well you create the 3d model. You can always go back an tweak the orginal model if you are not happy with your results.

ESD_SD
01-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks a lot, your info was pretty helpful. Now I know I'm not just wasting my time! :)

lynnfrwd
01-13-2011, 02:40 PM
For more information on the STL Importer see our LearningLab under the LEARN menu and click TUTORIALS on the left hand side; then click STL Importer for videos of how it works.

STL Importer only imports the .stl file format, however, it is a common format to 3d design, just as PDF is to the document world, DXF is to the vector world and JPG is to the images world.

jpaluck
01-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Other thing you can do in Max is render a depth map and import the image into CW and bypass the stl importer...I beleive in Max it's called depth of feild or something...it's under Render. I use the stl importer for 99.9% of everything I import into CW...it is VERY accurate as far as sizes and depths..XY&Z..of what you make in your model. I use a bunch different modelling programs..MAX is one of them...I use MOI3D a lot and when I set up the dimensions in moi to inches w 3 decimal places and then import into CW..it is dead on. I have never really used the size/demension settings in MAX. Other thing, if you go with the STL importer, You can export your model out of max as an .stl file.

As far as editing or tweaking, the pattern editor comes w the stl importer...I have had the stl importer for over a year and LOVE it. For the first time actually a couple of days ago I played with the pattern editor..never used the whole time I had it. I kinda laughed when I played with it because it is exactly like Digital sculpting in Zbrush or like in Max using some of the free form tools...it's just not as powerful or exacting as the 3d programs and you actually edit in the image which is shown side by side with the model and watch the model change...just not as exact or powerful as the other mentioned programs...I will definitly stick to sculpting in 3d..but for a person with no 3d knowledge its very nice. If your using max You would want to do all your tweaking and editing in max.

I can tell you I really beleive the models import very exact and my personal opinion WAY cleaner than an image/depth map. I love the slicing feature for deep relief stuff. I have yet to make a full 3d model and glue up...but it is really nice for deep relief at say 1.5 inch stuff. And it works very nice when changing say something from .75 to 1.5 inch depth and have the X &Y change proportionally.