PDA

View Full Version : Drawing shape to be carved out

sundog2001
12-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Is there a way to carve out an area inside of an area define using the software's drawing tools? I want to carve out a .375" x 3.5" x .125" area with rounded ends. I tried using two arc's for the ends and attach two straigh lines for the sides. I double-clicked to join the ends (I think), but once done, the carve region is grayed out.

Is what I want to do possible?

Thanks,

Art

Jeff_Birt
12-29-2006, 12:30 PM
When joining seperate objects into one grab one and move it towards the other until you see the >< looking symbol, which shows they are connected. Once they are connected you will see only one of them in the carving list.

An easier way to make rounded ends on a rectangle is to draw the rectangle with the rectangle tool. Right click on the line segment you want to be and arc, select Form, and then Arc. This transofrms the line segment into and arc (the midpoint dot is now green). You can then drag the midpoint dot to the desired radius.

BobHill
12-29-2006, 08:09 PM
If you make, say, the left side as you'd like it cut (vector path), then Mirror horizontal path, you'll note that it'll make a mirror copy exactly on the right side. Unless it's been fixed, the software has a bug that prevents joining the two in such a way that they become one path (although it'll look like it at the two joining points, note that you still have two paths on the Carving List, thus you can't use the Cut Path option). However having said that, if you make the first path (left as indicated) but draw it just short of the center vertical, then mirror it, and set the depth to cut to thickness of board, when you make the mirror horizontal path, you'll also be creating two tabs, so the cut through won't allow the center to skew and perhaps cause damage to the wood or machine. This works just fine.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Jeff_Birt
12-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Hey, Bob you have a great idea there! I modified it a bit and created a closed shape on the left side with its right side being a striaght line doen the middle of the board. I carved out the shape then mirrored it horizontally. Since the two objects are both hugging the center line they appear as one carved out object. This can be a huge time saver. :lol:

BobHill
12-29-2006, 09:30 PM
Just remember Jeff that it's best not to have CW cut the path completely through without leaving a tag holding the center to the outside or you can cause damage. Cut path does this automatically, but if you do it this way, and don't leave a tag that's easily cut manually, then you may have a problem.

Bob

Jeff_Birt
12-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Bob, I was speaking of just carving out an interior region. I am not brave enough to try a cut out with a routing path. :D

BobHill
12-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Don't be afraid of cutting through on your path. It works great and even when you get to outline and then cut, you'll really be thrilled with what you get<g>.

Bob

pkunk
12-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Bob, I was speaking of just carving out an interior region. I am not brave enough to try a cut out with a routing path. :D
Ya, you can break a bit that way. :D It's funny, I wanted to see that book thing work. Against my better judgement, I let it do it's thing. I normally will cut my object with the bandsaw or a jigsaw; at the very most let the machine scribe the outer perimeter a 1/16" for me to follow.

liquidguitars
12-29-2006, 10:24 PM
I let it do it's thing. I normally will cut my object with the bandsaw or a jigsaw

When the bit blows out what happens to your carvewright as to damage?

Also In the demo you have a zero bit gage plate. Why did this not setup? you said you striped out most of the maps in the project. That could screw with the depth?.

pkunk
12-29-2006, 10:31 PM
I let it do it's thing. I normally will cut my object with the bandsaw or a jigsaw

When the bit blows out what happens to your carvewright as to damage?

Also In the demo you have a zero bit gage plate. Why did this not setup? also you striped out most of the splines in the project. That could screw with depth?.
Nothing to the Carvewright. The bit zeroed in your project and I used a piece of 1 1/2" sugar pine. I didn't strip any splines, just the photo, and the snowflakes, & leaves. I've bee useing this machine for over 90 hours of carving time so I have a fair estimation of what works and what doesnt.

liquidguitars
12-29-2006, 10:47 PM
What works is why i am asking thanks...

Question why would a bit blow out at all.. Is it hitting the fence? whats about the ground zero bit plate in the video? define better jujgement as to router bit blowing up...

I am someone who is on the fence, but thinks this software is realy cool.
should we remove the book frame object? nevermind I removed them.

Thanks for your help..