PDA

View Full Version : Head Pressure

Smoken D
01-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I had finished a carve and set up for a second when the machine kept telling me to load board. Had it cranked down but no pressure. Upon raising the top I noted that the entire head was tilted to the far side. Finally I found that the Lockdown leadscrew nut (RH) was stripped of its threads. When I ordered a new one the product was listed as reconditioned, imagine that for a nut. They must heleoarch the threads inside the nut. In my first photo (new left old right) shows the inside of the nut and for some reason the threads do not go all the way through. Sure would be better if they had the threads going the entire inside of the nut. The second photo on the left is the new nut and on the right is the old one with the stripped threads. The third photo shows the outside of the leadscrew nut where the bottom nut secures it to the frame of the machine. Got the nut yesterday, back carving in the basement right now. So, if you have load board that keeps coming on the screen, this is one thing to also check on. KEEP CARVING!

CarverJerry
01-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah you would think that the threads would go the entire length of the nut. You would also think it would be an acme thread which is also much more of a heavy duty thread and very capable of lifting the head. Well I like doing a reverse engineering job when repairing things myself, but then again I'm a machinist too.

CJ