PDA

View Full Version : Took Z truck off, does it need lock tight on it?

badger2424
01-10-2011, 04:51 PM
While waiting for a new carve tight that was supposed to already be here, I took my old Z truck off and examined the tolerance ring that fell out of it, and I decided to put some lock tight on the ring and see if it would stay while carving. I turned the bearing bolts nuts to get it off but I didn't take the screws out of the bolts. I need to know if I need to put any lock tight back on anything before I mess up a carve. The ring is staying now (after 51% of a 2hr carve) and I've checked the Z truck to see if the bearing are moving, making the Z truck loose, but everything fine so far. Looked around to see if I could find anything on this but everything I could find was about putting a new Z truck on. Thanks for any replys.

fwharris
01-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Badger,

Since you are getting the new CT you might be ok with out any lock tite in the short term. Just make sure you check the truck before and after a carve. If I recall correctly the new install procedure for the CT will tell you to use RED lock tite..... I used the blue and I think other have done the same...MUCH easier to remove if you ever have to...

badger2424
01-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks FW. I was thinking about keeping the old truck in case something happens to the CT, do I need to take the screws out of the old truck and relock tight them before future use?

fwharris
01-10-2011, 10:54 PM
The CT will come with the fixed bearing already on and the adjustable off of the CT. You will need to attach the adjustable bearing and yes use locktite when you install them...

Find Al's post about putting red marking on the adj. bearing nut to know when the bearing is in the closed postion.. Makes it easy for the install...

badger2424
01-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Thanks FW, but you misunderstood me. I was talking about the old truck-not the CT. I'm going to keep the old spindle system since it seems to be working now with the tolerence ring staying in with lock tight on it. I've got the rock on it and if something happens to the CT, I'll have a backup. What I'm asking is, does the screws in the old truck need to be taken apart and repasted with lock tight since I turned the adjustable hex stud to get the Z truck off. When turning the adjustable hex stud, the screw turned with it, and now I'm wondering if it will turn and let the bearings become loose while carving. I guess what I'm asking is did I break the lock tight on the screw where it sets in hole of the Z truck-not on the hex stud?

fwharris
01-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Hey probably not the first and not the last!! Yes you probably did break the loc tite loose on the nut but not on the screw in the nut. If you can get the screw out of the nut with out stripping the head you should re loc tite it. If the screw does strip out get a replacement with an allen head. Found some at Ace Hardware but I bet you can also get them at Lowes or Home Depot...

badger2424
01-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks so much Mr. Harris! I've had the machine for a little over a year but just now really working with it and its hard to find exactly what you're looking for in the manual and sometimes in the forum when you have a problem or question. You guys on the forum really help out alot with your knowledge and it is greatly appreciated. Couldn't make it without you guys. Thanks again.

fwharris
01-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Badger,

Glad to help and agree on sorting through the info in the forum. If you do not find what your looking for after a couple of searches best action is to ASK!!