PDA

View Full Version : Book frame

liquidguitars
12-28-2006, 09:07 PM
What is it about grandbabies that makes us love carving frames like this. 8)

Here is a frame with a book motif i made for the baby pics.

Feel free to carve away and show us your stuff if you wish ...

BobHill
12-29-2006, 09:34 AM
Very nicely done and thanks for the download.

Bob

Jeff_Birt
12-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Very cool! How did you do the surfacing? I'm running Designer 1.115 and can only see the snowflakes, holly, text, your grandson's picture, and the rectangle marking the pages.

Thanks!

pkunk
12-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Very cool! How did you do the surfacing? I'm running Designer 1.115 and can only see the snowflakes, holly, text, your grandson's picture, and the rectangle marking the pages.

Thanks!
Me too, :D I think the page crease is an illusion. I'm tempted to try carving it just to see. If you try to reduce the size, it doesn't move with the perimeter.

liquidguitars
12-29-2006, 12:40 PM
I added splines to the end of the board in the y/x axis to make the curved page, not sure if you can do this. but figured you guys could look at the project to check and see.

Jeff_Birt
12-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Very clever indeed! I never realized that you could add geometry to the side. I'm wondering how this would carve as the spline geometry is carved with the cut out tool, but Designer does render it properly on screen.

pkunk
12-29-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm gonna try just the book in draft in a little bit. I'll post a pic if it works.

Bill
12-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Excellent, very nice well done.
Bill.

hss1
12-29-2006, 03:14 PM
I have not been able to add geometry to the side. How is this done?

Thanks,

Henry

pkunk
12-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Ok, now for the bad news. :( To start with, it broke my bit! :x I loaded it to the card with auto jig because I couldn't resize the MPC file. The machine required 15 1/2" which of course we can't do. MC askes " scale to width"? OK
1/8" 'Carving'?? bit? OK Install 1/8" cutoff bit. Project carves a rectangular outline 13/16" deep all around. Nothing more. Last pass it was going even deeper and I had my hand on the stop but too late. Carve time was 25 min. just for the outline and that was what the upload said supposidly for the whole book with no internal embelishments.

Jeff_Birt
12-29-2006, 04:30 PM
To start with, it broke my bit! :(

That does stink. I guess Designer does not translate the gemometry on the side correctly. I guess a form of toolpath verification might have been helpful (an idea I just disagreed with in the software forum yesterday).

liquidguitars
12-29-2006, 04:50 PM
How about a simple test from a scracth setup like a small molding..
thanks for giving it a try..

liquidguitars
12-29-2006, 05:07 PM
I loaded it to the card with auto jig because I couldn't resize the MPC file

I think for any spline scaling to work 100% the project should have a parent object. Grouping objects in Designer could let the CW itself auto scale better.

I deleted the old frame and replaced with a smaller one.

pkunk
12-29-2006, 05:12 PM
How about a simple test from a scracth setup like a small molding..
thanks for giving it a try..
I don't understand how you make these. There is nothing that indicates what bit is used, what the depth of cut is, etc. I can't click on this and get an object that is justifiable. I'd like to help, but I need something more.....Carvewright.

liquidguitars
12-29-2006, 05:27 PM
There is nothing that indicates what bit is used, what the depth of cut is, etc. I can't click on this and get an object

try this:
Rotate the object to show the end of the borad that you need to edit. Hit the "square board icon" click and edit away, you should be able to add a new spline.

When you rotate into a plane like a "side view viewport " someware around a >49 rotation. the spline infomation gets conected to that objet's plane of ref.

Jeff_Birt
12-29-2006, 08:49 PM
I can edit this spline but cannot create a new one. I am guessing that the older 'free-trial' version of the software allowed this type of stuff but the newer one does not.

liquidguitars
12-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Make sure that you start you first point on the board not the background. This starts the infomation into the program typ, then you can make the spline as big as needed and I use a open spline for cutting.

Jeff_Birt
12-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Tried that, and it still would not work.

liquidguitars
12-29-2006, 10:03 PM
No reasion for it not to work, as the spline should raster and make the detail, I have a cool design for a fireplace...

liquidguitars
12-29-2006, 11:18 PM
For now I deleted the book projects I made from my downloaded Desiger.

So do not carve anything untill we get a chance to talk to the Carvewright people.

calikoala
01-02-2007, 10:17 PM
What is it about grandbabies that makes us love carving frames like this. 8)

Here is a frame with a book motif i made for the baby pics.

Feel free to carve away and show us your stuff if you wish ...

was the download removed?

liquidguitars
01-02-2007, 11:04 PM
yes, I was using a older rev 1.029 most of the people own the CW are running a new ver, so better to wait untill I get a CW and test before I upload.

SpiffyDog
01-05-2007, 02:05 PM
There is another alternative to the spline if you can't get it to work. Add a domed surface to each half of the page and set the height to 999. Hope this can help. The picture shown actually has three layers. If anyone is interested in this file, let me know.

DougM
02-24-2007, 09:13 PM
SpiffyDog,

Could you please post the domed surface file you did, I am an avid reader and would love the file to try some ideas out on.

Thanks!
DougM

DaKubas
02-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Would LOVE to have the design file for the domed cross. That is awesome and thanks for sharing! :)

CallNeg151
02-24-2007, 10:27 PM
One thing that I've done in a few of my patterns is to mesh together different domes to create more complex domes. This works well in a book, where the inside angle should be sharper than the outside angle. I've added a cross to a test pattern I did to give you an idea.

DaKubas
02-24-2007, 11:03 PM
THANKS again for sharing. We'll give it a try!

Julie Coffey
02-25-2007, 12:48 AM
Yes thank you very much- I've got an eldery friend who would love the version with the cross. Thanks much!

J

CallNeg151
02-25-2007, 03:07 AM
Sorry, posted an earlier version of a larger project that I am still working on. Change the height on each of the dome sections to 500 and you will get better detail on the cross. I've done that for you in the attached file.

By connecting together domed sections, you can create moderately complex surface shapes. Nonetheless, I would love to see a side geometry spline function that could be manipulated on a region-by-region basis.

Oh well.

DougM
02-25-2007, 08:27 AM
Thank you very much for the file, I'll def be trying this out!

Doug

SpiffyDog
02-25-2007, 03:01 PM
SpiffyDog,

Could you please post the domed surface file you did, I am an avid reader and would love the file to try some ideas out on.

Thanks!
DougM

DougM,

Here's the file. I'm still working on getting the domed area raised higher towards the center as it is still not quite where it looks like an open book. However, it's a start.

However, I see that CalNeg151 has posted one. Actually, I may just abandon my version and go with that one. Thanks! :)

DougM
02-27-2007, 09:33 AM
SpiffyDog,

Thanks for the file!

I am already working on using it in a new project..will post soon (I hope!) on it.

Doug

SLSettles
03-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Here is another way to go to get the book, a displacement map I whipped up in Photoshop. Not really sure why there is a bump on the outer third of the page since it was made with smooth gradients. If needed I can try to diagnose. I was just curious if I could produce the desired result fully in Photoshop. I have included a down-sized, compress version of the image file used for import into Designer for reference.