PDA

View Full Version : Y-Track Roller Rod

SteveJ
01-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Has anyone had to replace the Y axis rods? I started to install new bearings and found that they do not run smooth. I can't seem to move the rod. I did not want to force anything until I knew how they can be removed. I thought I would rotate them to find an unused smooth area. I removed the 2 screws on the top rod, but it will not lift out of the slot. Any help appreciated!

PCW
01-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Has anyone had to replace the Y axis rods? I started to install new bearings and found that they do not run smooth. I can't seem to move the rod. I did not want to force anything until I knew how they can be removed. I thought I would rotate them to find an unused smooth area. I removed the 2 screws on the top rod, but it will not lift out of the slot. Any help appreciated!

I have never heard of anyone repacing the wear rails on the Y however I know the rods on the Z trunk can be rotated to get a new wear area.

SteveJ
01-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Well the rods do come out, but they are difficult to brake loose. I pried them from each end with one half of a pair of pliers. Unfortunately, the side casting broke out a slot the width of my pliers on one side. They will come out easier next time. :) I can now get good leverage with the breakout. I had hoped to avoid that. Maybe I should have drilled a hole in the side to allow me to get a punch in to break them loose. There seemed to be some sort of adhesive in several spots along the shaft. I have carved for about 4hrs now and all seems ok. The bearings felt real nice on the new areas of the shaft after I rolled it. New Z & Y. Felt like a new machine. Hope you have better luck if you need to do this!
Steve

Digitalwoodshop
01-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I would try heat next time.... Good to know they will fight being removed... The Z Rods fall out....

AL