PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi detail sander ds1000

www.carvenow.com
01-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi, anyone own one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-DS1000-Detail-Sander-preparation/dp/B003KYOO6Y

The RYOBI DETAIL SANDER DS1000 has so many bad reviews but I really want to know opinions from someone who actually using one.
Thanks

TerryT
01-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi HT,

First look at this...
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml98/98082.html

Second.. I have one of these.. don't use it much any more. Not all that handy actually.

Good luck

Old Salt
01-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Had one for a long time OK but only sands new ones cut sand and scrape

PCW
01-06-2011, 08:23 PM
HT,

No nice way too say it but it is junk. <smile> It will vibrate out of your hand if your not careful. I ended up buying a Fein Mutimaster. I will give you one free if you pay the shipping.

jaroot
01-06-2011, 08:33 PM
That's interesting! I have a B&D orbital palm sander that did that. Turned it off, left it on the bench and went to pickup my grandkid from school. When I got home I could hear a humming noise coming from the shop. Went in side and found the sander busily sanding away at my work bench. It was trapped by a couple of other tools and made a nice little bowl in the corner of the bench.

I unplug it now!

Hi HT,

First look at this...
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml98/98082.html

Second.. I have one of these.. don't use it much any more. Not all that handy actually.

Good luck

earlyrider
01-07-2011, 12:28 AM
I've used one to finish wood wheels for antique cars. Works well for sanding between the spokes on the wood felloes. The vibration can get a bit annoying after awhile.
Send Dan the bucks for shipping; it may work for your app. and cheap to boot!
Ron

cnsranch
01-07-2011, 09:50 AM
I've got the Ryobi - don't waste your money.

Here's another I've got that works great - I have to admit that I got it for a steal about 10 years ago, though...

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-9444VS-Variable-Profile-Sander/dp/B0000222XM

Dan-Woodman
01-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I've had one for years , the rubber pad is hard ,leaves swirl marks, is VERY loud, and vibrates a lot .
later Daniel

cestout
01-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Look for a Dremel "Contour Sander" - (not the rotary tool). Sand paper sleeves fit around various shaped pieces of hard rubber.
Clint

www.carvenow.com
01-07-2011, 04:13 PM
HT,

No nice way too say it but it is junk. <smile> It will vibrate out of your hand if your not careful. I ended up buying a Fein Mutimaster. I will give you one free if you pay the shipping.
Thanks Dan, I'll think about it :).
And thank you for the rest of the input.

dbfletcher
01-07-2011, 05:12 PM
The Fein multimaster is a great tool, but pretty pricy. I have the Fein and a Soniccrafter (lower cost clone of the Fein). They both perform really well. I know harbor frieght and dremel also have versions of themultimaster, but cant comment on how well they work or are built.

www.carvenow.com
05-07-2013, 02:19 PM
HT,

Hi Dan, Does the offer still standing? I will pay for shipping or exchange for a number of patterns if you want to.
Thanks,
HT

rickyz
05-08-2013, 03:28 PM
my money is on the ridgid jobmax. does everything the dremel and fein tools and more... interchangeable heads... it is also a right angle drill, impact wrench, jigsaw, sawzall, and even an auto hammer.. It comes in 12v, 18v, electric, and pneumatic... use mine everyday... the basic setup costs the same as a dremel and you can add whatever heads you want later. Awesome tool... almost forgot, If you get the 12v or 18v, make sure you register your product... Batteries have a lifetime guarantee as long as you register it, or it's 3 years from date of purchase...

jmoriearty
05-08-2013, 04:21 PM
I have one that I received for my birthday. I used it one time and then tossed it in the trash. I have to agree, go with the Rigid Jobmax. I have the Craftsman version that I purchased with Sears rewards and it works fantastic. No complaints at all. I may have to get the Jobmax air tool though, sounds like it would be handy!