PDA

View Full Version : connecting the dots

WayneNero
01-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I am trying to figure out how to connect the dots, I think? Part of the circle (right side) I can access the the carve region and the rest I can't. I can't quite figure out why I can't make it all the same. I have tried reconnecting the dots to no avail.

Any thoughts?

-W

gwhiz
01-04-2011, 12:42 PM
When using the connected lines tool, the lines should all be connected...i.e. there should only be one 'Connected Lines' entry in the carving list. Simply draw the first segment, click, then draw the second, etc. But I don't know why you're using Connected Lines here...you could use an Arc for the right side and it'd be smoother. Here's what I did--I connected your lines on the arm, and drew an Arc over the rest, then connected the ends together. There's no guarantee that I duplicated your measurements so you should likely redo it....

WayneNero
01-04-2011, 12:53 PM
The right side of the circle is correct, It has a slight STOP sign look. What I can't seem to do is attach the rest of it together. So I can't adjust carve region and select other functions. I have tried redrawing using the line tool but doesn't seem to work.

-W

Old Salt
01-04-2011, 01:17 PM
you are drawing each line one at a time , you must keep first line open to start next.

Digitalwoodshop
01-04-2011, 01:31 PM
OK... There are 3 ways to do this.....

1. Start over and always go back and select the connect tool with every new line or curve you add to the drawing connecting them one at a time. The last node will glow RED when you are over it and will connect. Next line just make sure you select the connect line and draw away. At the last line you bump into the very first node and it will glow red. Then to keep from drawing a line away from this node hit the escape key. So drawing it right the first time is the quickest.

2. Select 2 lines that are next to each other and select the connect tool. Move two nodes over each other until they glow red connected.... Frustrating as you sometimes make a 3rd node and line, but it will work.

The Goal is that every red node is connected like Christmas Lights. One break in the nodes and you cannot do a Cut Path or Carve Region.....

3rd and my favorite is to use a few tools and make a copy of your art.....

2 Circles, 2 Lines then connect the lines... Making 3 complete areas.... 2 circles and one box.

Assign a Carve Region to all 3 areas....

Use the OUTLINE tool to outline all 3 carve regions.....

Delete the carve region keeping the outline. Delete the first art.....

You now have a outline of the pattern that you can assign a cut path or carve region.

Use this trick like if you are outlining a pattern like a Toy Soldier and you want to NOT cut between his feet.... Draw a small carve region at his shoes and when you do the outline pattern the carve region at his shoes prevent the cut lines between his shoes and later delete the block. It is the Poor Man's edit of the Cut Path.....

Good Luck,

AL

The Pictures are not in order..... Should be AL2, 3, 4, 5..... And my .mpc is not perfect.... Just wanted to show the concept. Picture AL4 shows it best.... 3 selected carve regions and the OUTLINE TOOL ILLUMINATED.....

There is another benefit of using the outline tool.... Lets say I make a Rectangle with rounded corners. That would involve 4 lines and 4 half circles. Works GREAT....

Now you decide to change the size.... Sometimes the rounded corners go bonkers and the rectangle can get Micky Mouse Ears.... What I have done for my Sheets of Cut out tags is do the first tag like above with 4 lines and 4 half circles. Then assign a carve region to this fragile art.... Do a Outline Pattern to make a NEW more stable line.... or Cut Path.... Delete the Carve Region and 4 lines and 4 curves. Now make size adjustments to the Outline and the rounded corners do go all MICKY MOUSE on you.....

Good Luck

WayneNero
01-04-2011, 05:21 PM
So what you saying is I have to use the line connect tool. I was using it on the right half of the circle because the angles had to be right on. I understand the concept of connecting the dots but when I attempt to trace over with the line connect tool, it doesn't lock on all the time. I tried the trace tip but cant get the cut pattern option. I must say this software is not my favorite to deal with. I am also wondering why the carve regions on the left don't appear when I select them, but they do on the right hand side for each individual line?

-W

AskBud
01-05-2011, 09:10 AM
OK Wayne,
Here is a rough MPC. We need to talk, so I could get your exact dimensions & angles on the circle part (I sent you a private message Tuesday).
It is just a matter of using the Connected Lines Tool, and then setting your exact dimensions.

I'm in the process of using your question to develop a new lesson on Connected Lines as I await your call.
AskBud

AskBud
01-05-2011, 09:56 AM
I just finished my lesson. Here is the final MPC.
AskBud

WayneNero
01-05-2011, 10:43 AM
That is a job well done.

One of my questions is this, If I start over from scratch, how can I be so precise 'free hand' connecting all the dots when I have exact measurements to follow.

I realized when I first attempted this shape I couldn't use a half circle and bend it into the right shape, so I maid pi shapes with the line tool. I also realized at that point I had to make the right math changes on the angle first to get my length correct.

After failing a few times I completed my half circle (stop sign) 41158 . I then used the grid for the spacing, size and dimensions for the rest.

After I took out the vector points it appeared I had a valid carve region, except I didn't. Connecting the dots after the fact seems time consuming and not very productive. And I haven't enough time on the software to trace and cut and paste and work around tricks.

That is only the tip of the iceberg, but I have committed myself to learning and I will get better. Talk to you soon.

Thanks,

Wayne

AskBud
01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
That is a job well done.

One of my questions is this, If I start over from scratch, how can I be so precise 'free hand' connecting all the dots when I have exact measurements to follow.

I realized when I first attempted this shape I couldn't use a half circle and bend it into the right shape, so I maid pi shapes with the line tool. I also realized at that point I had to make the right math changes on the angle first to get my length correct.

After failing a few times I completed my half circle (stop sign) 41158 . I then used the grid for the spacing, size and dimensions for the rest.

After I took out the vector points it appeared I had a valid carve region, except I didn't. Connecting the dots after the fact seems time consuming and not very productive. And I haven't enough time on the software to trace and cut and paste and work around tricks.

That is only the tip of the iceberg, but I have committed myself to learning and I will get better. Talk to you soon.

Thanks,

Wayne
Your question is very valid! I made the new lesson (Connecting Lines Project-1) for just that point. It is being loaded at the present time and I will place a notice as soon as it is available. I'm guessing that it should be finished about 1pm on Wednesday 1/5/2011.
AskBud

WayneNero
01-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Your question is very valid! I made the new lesson (Connecting Lines Project-1) for just that point. It is being loaded at the present time and I will place a notice as soon as it is available. I'm guessing that it should be finished about 1pm on Wednesday 1/5/2011.
AskBud

P.S. I'm not bashing 'free hand' I just need to better understand, I am looking forward to your new lesson.

Digitalwoodshop
01-05-2011, 11:24 AM
I still think 2 circles and 4 lines made into carve region then outlined is the best way...

AL

AskBud
01-05-2011, 11:25 AM
That is a job well done.

Thanks,

Wayne
You were much closer than you realized!
I'll make a 2nd lesson using this attachment.
AskBud

AskBud
01-05-2011, 12:20 PM
The lesson titled "Connected Lines Project-1" is now in the "Download" link below.
AskBud

AskBud
01-05-2011, 02:55 PM
The lesson titled "Connected Lines Project-2" is now in the "Download" link below.
AskBud