PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Perpetual Calendar - Project of the Month

mtylerfl
01-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for JANUARY 2011), the Vintage Perpetual Calendar.

This Vintage Perpetual Calendar never goes out of date! The wooden knobs on each side are used for manually rotating the internal wheel/disc mechanism to display the current day, month and date through the windows on the decorative carved wood front panel. The calendar can be placed on a shelf, table, desk or even mounted on a wall for an interesting addition to any decor.

The project requires no special bits - the main components are carved and cut out with just the two standard bits that came with your machine.

The finished dimensions of the assembled Perpetual Calendar are about 8½" wide x 11½" tall x 3½" deep.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Front_Panel_Decorative.mpc
• Discs.mpc
• Side_Panels.mpc
• Knobs_and_Guides.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Front Panel: 0.75" x 11" x 19"
Discs: 0.75" x 9.2" x 16"
Side Panels: 0.75" x 7.2" x 17"
Knobs & Guides: 0.75" x 9.2" x 25"

Back Panel/Cover (not an mpc):
1/8" Hardboard dimensions: 6.75" x 9.125"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Clamps, drill, small screws, 3/8" diameter dowels, lightweight card stock, CA Glue (medium and thin), High-tack white glue, self-stick felt sheets, sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Vintage Perpetual Calendar made from Select Pine:

• Minwax oil-based Red Oak stain #215
• 3 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic spray
• 2 coats Minwax water-base Satin polycrylic (brushed)

dbfletcher
01-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Awesome... this is one of the things on my "to do list", but as always, you design far exceeds anything I could have done! And your POM will save me tons of time and a boat load of scrap wood I'm sure I would have created fleshing this out on my own.

CarverJerry
01-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Way to go, another great looking POM, can't wait to carve this one.... thanks Michael

CJ

Smoken D
01-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Another great job Michael! Guess we will get it sometime next week. Will be another fun one!

mtylerfl
01-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks, guys! It was fun (and rather challenging) to design the "innards" and proper spacing of the numbers and text on the roller printouts. You guys get the easy part...just load and carve (...and assemble, finish...etc!).

b.sumner47
01-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Hi Mike ' Real nice project. It seems to me the older I get the further behind I get. Now I have a chance to at least catch up ! Thanks for another fun project. Capt Barry

rcdages
01-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Michael,

Once again another Home Run.
Always a surprise and a pleasent one with each POM.

"Out standing"

jab73180
01-03-2011, 04:46 PM
and again great job.

Capt Bruce
01-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Another vote for "Out Standing", the highest praise normally given during a Navy inspection. You have outdone yourself again. Looking forward to carving this one. Thanks for the advance details.

jaroot
01-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Really cool!

chebytrk
01-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Anyone received their POM in your email yet? Just want to make sure I don't miss out like I did last month. Come to realize that my subscription ran out. : )

Chet67
01-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Have not received POM in e-mail yet.
I think LHR is still working on clearing their hang-overs from New Years!