PDA

View Full Version : Brass flex shaft stops loose

Matthew
12-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi all,
I've encountered a problem where the brass stops on the end of the flex shaft inserted into the cutter head have come loose. My flex shaft has two of these on that end. The first has come off and in trying to crimp it back in place, I broke it. The second one has also come loose.
Can anyone tell me where I might get replacements? Is this something my local hardware store would have? Does anyone know what it would be called and what size it is? Also, since both of mine have come loose, is there a better way to attach it? Would a polyurethane glue or JB Weld work or would those cause other problems?
Right now, I'm completely down. The flex shaft just won't stay in the motor to get anything useful done. As a background for everyone else, I kept getting Z-axis stalls. After each stall, I'd restart and the bit wouldn't turn. Re-seating the flex cable into the cutter head fixed the problem, but then it would happen again later. Check for the brass stops let me see them, but I didn't notice for quite a while that they were loose and moving around on me.

pkunk
12-28-2006, 12:02 PM
I've 'lost' lots of 'em. Give Carvewright a call and they'll mail you some new ones. locally, you might try a hobby shop for some brass square tubing and cut off a piece.

Matthew
12-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks! Haven't been able to get through via phone today, but I did send an email to support@carvewright.com. Hopefully I'll hear something soon. I'll check out the hardware store later this afternoon.

fozziebo
12-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Same problem here...however...guys at CW sent me a couple of new ones and I am back running....they really are great about their support, I know that they are swamped and hope they can keep up with the support end!!! (especially for us beta testers!!! :)
P.S. that problem fixed....now the floppy handle just broke off where it attaches to the machine...piece of plastic just split in half. Time to get out the pliers while I wait for a new one!!!!

BobHill
12-28-2006, 03:48 PM
If you've got a lathe, you can make one pretty quickly ... or CA glue should hold the plastic together at least until you get your new one.

Bob

pkunk
12-28-2006, 05:36 PM
If you've got a lathe, you can make one pretty quickly ... or CA glue should hold the plastic together at least until you get your new one.

Bob
Bob, they are brass on all of ours. Yours is plastic?

John
12-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Mines plastic too. Didn't know there was a brass handle option.

pkunk
12-29-2006, 09:36 AM
Sorry, missed the plastic handle thing. :D

BobHill
12-29-2006, 09:44 AM
I don't know about the "new" models, but one of the irritating things for me was the "floppy" handle all the time flopping, but my cure is to take CA glue and glue it to the metal arm. No flop any more, yet if you have to remove it, say to box it, you can tap it with a mallet and off it comes.

Bob