PDA

View Full Version : Cover switch malfunction

Oldtrainerguy
12-31-2010, 05:45 PM
Hey all:

Happy New Year!

Having trouble with my cover switch. Machine fails to stop when cover is open. Sensor check indicates cover is closed when in fact its open. Broke a bit today because of it.
Blew out machine cleaned well and no loose wires I see.
Any suggestions?

dbfletcher
12-31-2010, 05:54 PM
I would probably remove the microswitch and cehck with a continuity tester or multimeter. The left cover switch si the one that tells the computer when the cover is open or closed. Some have opened the switch to clean the contacts.

AskBud
12-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Hey all:

Happy New Year!

Having trouble with my cover switch. Machine fails to stop when cover is open. Sensor check indicates cover is closed when in fact its open. Broke a bit today because of it.
Blew out machine cleaned well and no loose wires I see.
Any suggestions?
The first thing I would do is slightly loosen the 2 screws that hold the Left switch (cover Sensor), and see if that clears the "Closed" reading.
If not, you may have dust in the switch that is causing it to jam. Before you take the switch apart, remove one wire to see that it clears the reading. If that also fails to clear the reading, disconnect the other end of the wire.

Prove where the actual problem lies.
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
12-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Get some Electrical Contact Cleaner from Radio Shack...

OR blow some LP Air and Rubbing Alcohol into it.... With power OFF....

Oldtrainerguy
01-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Nothing works. I think the switch may be defective. Will call LHR today and see what they say. Was wondering if pushing the stop button would work so I could at least vaccum the build up. Will the machine continue the project from the point of stoppage on?

CarverJerry
01-04-2011, 09:35 AM
That should stop the machine but be sure to only hit the stop button once because if you press it 2 times it will abort the project.

CJ

dbfletcher
01-04-2011, 09:40 AM
That should stop the machine but be sure to only hit the stop button once because if you press it 2 times it will abort the project.

CJ

Spoken like someone with experience! I have also accidently had my finger "bounce" on a few occasions aborting the job.

Oldtrainerguy
01-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Got a PDF from LHR yesterday. Will go through their checklist. Maybe the wire is pinched? Will remove the plastic head cover and see

AskBud
01-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Got a PDF from LHR yesterday. Will go through their checklist. Maybe the wire is pinched? Will remove the plastic head cover and see
Do others a favor and attach the new PDF.
AskBud

Oldtrainerguy
01-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Hey Ya'll:

Here is the PDF file they sent me

Digitalwoodshop
01-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Pages from the LHR Tech Play Book.... Pretty Cool....

Never paid much attention to the PDF's...

AL

Oldtrainerguy
01-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Yea Al I thought so too. Thanks for the help you've given the newbie!

Oldtrainerguy
01-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Tried everything they sent me in the PDF. No Luck! am voting for bad switch or board relay. THe fact that it does not read "open" for any reason makes me wonder.
Will call them today when I get off work to see if they have any other ideas. When I talked to them the other day they told me they had not run into the switch staying closed and the machine running problem befroe. Oh well! I am learning lots about the workings.

Oldtrainerguy
01-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Called LHR today. They are shipping a new switch and wires to install.