PDA

View Full Version : The Rock vs the Carvetight

Woodhacker
12-31-2010, 12:56 PM
I want to upgrade my machine and get rid of the QC. I have seen a LOT of posts about the Rock and some about the Carvetight. Does anyone have some information about the differences in them and what would make one better than the other. Thanks ya'll!!

AskBud
12-31-2010, 01:20 PM
I want to upgrade my machine and get rid of the QC. I have seen a LOT of posts about the Rock and some about the Carvetight. Does anyone have some information about the differences in them and what would make one better than the other. Thanks ya'll!!
Both products are good!
One main caution about converting to the Rock would be to think about your current problems with carving quality, using the QC chuck. If you have any issues, consider that the problem has migrated into the spindle area of the truck, and may well have damaged the bearings or other items. Placing a new chuck on that spindle will not resolve any of the hidden damage.

On the other side of the coin, the CarveTight Assembly is a totally new truck. Thus, all of those mechanical problems should be resolved.
AskBud

dbfletcher
12-31-2010, 01:25 PM

They are both good chioces. The CT is a once peice design so in theory, it should have an edge in reliability and carve quality if everything else is the same. However, we do know the maker of the rock has stated that the RC is nearly perfectly balanced and by report on this forum, it may still be quieter and run more true. There has never been a published impartial side by side comparision of the two.

With the CT you have a single souce vendor (LHR) for the carving and cutting bit as they require pressed on sleaves. With the Rock you can choose any vendor you like for any of your bits.

But the bottom line is they are both a great improvment over the QC.

As time goes on, if you z-truck fails parts for replacement rock compatible spindles may become harder to find.... so I guess that goes in the plus column for the CT as well.