PDA

View Full Version : Cut path inside/outside

WayneNero
12-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Hello,

I did a couple of searches and could not find what I was looking for, exactly.

When I create a drawing with carvewright software, like a 10" circle and I want to cut out that 10" circle does the blade size of 1/8 leave me a 10" cut-out or a 10" whole in my board.

Do I have to factor that into my circle like 10.125?

-W

dbfletcher
12-30-2010, 03:55 PM
If you use the cut path tool, you can choose when you want to cut on the outside of the line or the inside of the line (the flip cut button after you select the cutout tool). If you are using the select bit (not really recomended for cutouts), you can use + or - offsets to accomplish the same thing without tabs. The select bit will cut down the middle of the line by defualt. So for a 1/8 cutting bit, a 10" circle would leave you with a 9 15/16 circle, and a 10 1/16 hole. In short... use the cut path feature!

WayneNero
12-30-2010, 04:05 PM
If you use the cut path tool, you can choose when you want to cut on the outside of the line or the inside of the line (the flip cut button after you select the cutout tool). If you are using the select bit (not really recomended for cutouts), you can use + or - offsets to accomplish the same thing without tabs. The select bit will cut down the middle of the line by defualt. So for a 1/8 cutting bit, a 10" circle would leave you with a 9 15/16 circle, and a 10 1/16 hole. In short... use the cut path feature!

Thats the feature of the machine, when I load a project right? cut out project?

I thought the straight bit was the right bit to cut out shapes? I have only used the carving bit up to this point.

Thanks

-W

dbfletcher
12-30-2010, 04:13 PM
NO.. it is the little icon that looks like a board with a saw in designer.... or you can find it in the "tools" menu... cut path. You can apply it to any closed path. There is an exception... but i wont confuse matter here. But yes, the 1/8 stright bit is used for all cutouts. (althougth the new software also has the addition of a new 3/16 cutout bit as well)

See attached

WayneNero
12-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Hello,

I see the tool you speak of, that's the one I realized was giving me the inset value The graphic shows my line and the cut inside my line so I am looking for the offset and don't know how to do that?

I need a button that reads my mind and is big and red!

thanks

-W

dbfletcher
12-30-2010, 04:22 PM
You dont need to use an inset/offset. If you click on the edit cut path tool, just select "flip cutout". You can also get there by just right clicking on your line and selecting flip cutout.

WayneNero
12-30-2010, 04:24 PM
MY GOD MAN! you are a genius, like the big red button in my head! THAT WAS EASY!

My head sometimes explodes when I am transferring, math into shapes...(sorry)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

-W

dbfletcher
12-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Lol... We have all been there. Answer is starting us right in the face and we cant see what right in front of our noses.

Digitalwoodshop
12-30-2010, 06:30 PM
It's that BORG thing.... LOL...

AL