PDA

View Full Version : What Bits Are The Software Using

jeffreyallenmiller
12-28-2010, 06:23 PM
I did a search for a similar post and was unable to find one, so if there is already a similar thread then please forgive me.

Ok so today I did my first demo project. It was a circle with a horizontal fluted region pattern. And on top of the pattern I placed my initials.

I have the two bits that come with the system 1/8 cutting bit and 1/16 carving bit.

So my first question is, why does the carvewright prompt me to select a bit when I go to carve it. I would have thought it would have been predetermined by the software.

Secondly, how can I determine what the software used to render a specific carving or a circle. What was displayed in the software definitely did not mirror what was generated by the carvewright when I ran it.

For example, the circle was very jagged because I used the 1/16 carving bit which is tappered which did a great job on the horizontal fluting, but it wreaked the edges of the circle due to bit being wider at the top of the board.

hard do explain, but I am lost. Any clues or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jeffrey

CarverJerry
12-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Jeffrey, Welcome to the forum. I see this is your first post and sure it isn't going to be your last. It would help out a lot if you posted your mpc file so we can take a look at it. The 1/8 bit is used mostly for the outline or cut out of projects where the tapered 1/16 bit is used for most carving. There is a lot of information here on the forum, in the tricks & tips, and AskBud has a lot of video's that will explain a lot of things. Good luck

CarverJerry

AskBud
12-28-2010, 07:52 PM
We had a similar thread last weekend.
It may be that LHR has some adjustment to do on their coding on arcs.
When you turn your design image, you can see what is going to happen.
On the previous thread, I suggested applying a feather and it helped clean up the edge.
I don't think it is something we will have to live with forever, but until LHR updates the code, it will help.
AskBud

Previous thread:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17128-edges-of-project-are-jagged-in-spots&p=144661#post144661

TerryT
12-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I think in the situation you described, when the machine says "select 1/16 carving bit" just push enter. Then the truck will go to center and the display should say "install 1/16 bit" or something similar. Then you install the tapered 1/16 carving bit and press enter again. The machine will take it from there. You will only be asked to install the 1/8 cutting bit if you put a cutout in the mpc.

fwharris
12-28-2010, 09:50 PM
I did a search for a similar post and was unable to find one, so if there is already a similar thread then please forgive me.

Ok so today I did my first demo project. It was a circle with a horizontal fluted region pattern. And on top of the pattern I placed my initials.

I have the two bits that come with the system 1/8 cutting bit and 1/16 carving bit.

So my first question is, why does the carvewright prompt me to select a bit when I go to carve it. I would have thought it would have been predetermined by the software.

Secondly, how can I determine what the software used to render a specific carving or a circle. What was displayed in the software definitely did not mirror what was generated by the carvewright when I ran it.

For example, the circle was very jagged because I used the 1/16 carving bit which is tapered which did a great job on the horizontal fluting, but it wreaked the edges of the circle due to bit being wider at the top of the board.

hard do explain, but I am lost. Any clues or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jeffrey

This is the normal steps the machine goes through to insure you are using the bit called for in your design/project you set up. You are able to "change" the bit type during this step, but I have never done so.

For example, the circle was very jagged because I used the 1/16 carving bit which is tapered which did a great job on the horizontal fluting, but it wreaked the edges of the circle due to bit being wider at the top of the board.

The default bit for any raster/pattern or carve region carving is the 1/16" tapered bit. This also can bet changed in the "board settings" on the "pattern bit" tab. Note that it does have a statement about the possible results if this bit is changed.

For any line/vector carves you can assign/select the bit you want to use. Once selected you can view the affect of the bit on the carving by zooming/tilting in on your project board.

If your circle was a vector line and you used the tapered bit then you will get a tapered edge.

If your circle was a pattern or a carve region the edge detail can also be effected by the "bit optimization" that you have it set to.

Take a read on this post from today. Michael says it so much better..

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?17157-quot-BEST-quot-carve-on-designer-and-quot-DRAFT-quot-carve-on-the-machine.&p=144810#post144810

Also, welcome to the CW forum and CW world. Like other have posted read up on the tips and tricks (get signed up for email delivery) and when you have LOTS of time to kill (like when you are carving) read up on the forum topics. Some get a little of the topic at times, we do like to BS as well, but they do offer a lot of great info on the machine and the techniques used to make it fun to use.