PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chuck Bit alignment and length?

jessrice
12-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Just got done installing my rock chuck last night. Despite checking, I must not have had the redlines fully lined up on my QC, and it got wobbly.

To replace, I used the 3" steel rod method, but heated it up outside the machine, snapped it in, and in about 30 seconds loosened the chuck. Came right out.

Anyway, I was reading past thread about aligning the bits flat spot and or adapter sleeve in the chuck, and wanted to clarify.

Is it correct to say the flat should face towards the hex screw, before tightening? And that the slit in the sleeves should do the same. Where does the flat go, if it is placed in a sleeve, opposite of the slit?

If this is correct, basically with the hex screw facing out towards the front of the machine, so that the wrench points at the cover, the flat or slit, will pointing about 45 degrees from center?

I have a attached a quick sketch of my thoughts.

Next bit length, i have read about all the stop collar possiblities, and will probably go with either O rings, or the plumbers nylon rings. But to sum it up, with out a sleeve, the 1/16" carve, and 1/8" cut bits should protrude 1 1/2" from the chuck, and with a sleeve the bits should protrude 1 1/4". The other bits should be spaced about 1/8" to 1/4" from the chuck.

So how did i do, Everything correct, or did i read to many past posts?

If wrong, I will remove the picture so no one else uses it.

Thanks
Jesse

rjustice
12-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi Jesse,
Yes you have it correct. If you are using a sleeve, the orientation of the flat is not critical as long as the slit faces the hex in the screw as you have shown in your second sketch. Without a sleeve, you do need to orient the flat towards the hex as shown in your first sketch. Very nice illustration...

Thanks,

Ron