PDA

View Full Version : Silver ring fell out of the Z truck

badger2424
12-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Help, have only a route left on 3 hr sign and while the truck was moving to do the route, a silver indented ring fell out of a small circle above the chuck. Apparantly it is something that keeps the chuck from wabbling and centered. Anybody have an idea?

fwharris
12-28-2010, 04:52 PM
It is the damper ring for the lower bearings in the chuck.. Are you still on the QC?

badger2424
12-28-2010, 04:53 PM
No, have the rock. Am I screwed or can I put it back in somehow?

robbrigg2
12-28-2010, 05:57 PM
This happened to me once before, well actaully twice. The ring can be inserted back but you need to be carefull to apply even force. Do not bend it or your out of luck. That's what happened the second time I had to do this. I also have the Rock and it seemed to happen because every so often I would have to tap the screp to get it to release the bit and I was tapping just a bit to hard. The vibration from that tapping is what did it. Anyway, I had to replace that whole assembly because of this issue and another problem but I did verify with LHR that the ring can be inserted back in with the appropriate precaution. Hope this helps

badger2424
12-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks Robert, and I tried to do that and one side went in but the other won't go. Dang thing sure is sharp, got me right under the fingernail- had a few !?#%&*!!?*&#!#$. Now I can't get it where I can tap it evenly. Wonder why it just falls out?

Digitalwoodshop
12-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Yes this happens with the Damper. You can carefully push it back in. Now getting it to re seat is the hard part. It will fall again....

I have been wanting to disassemble the whole thing and take pictures of the inside Truck to see if there is a groove or shoulder that holds the retainer in place....

Got a FREE Truck with a Rock from my buddy Alan Galbraith today that is missing the Damper.... Same problem.... He went with a CarveTite.... He even sent me Bits.... What a GUY !!!! THANKS Buddy....

A Off the WALL idea I had was to re insert it back in with some GLUE of some type and let it DRY.... It might save the Truck.... Might....

AL

robbrigg2
12-28-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure, I know I haven't had the problem since. A little locktight might do the trick if you can get it in right. Sorry to hear about your trouble

badger2424
12-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys, anybody know of a diagram anywhere? I'm like Al, I'd like to take it apart and see what the problem is and if it can be fixed permanently, I don't want the chuck to wobble at the end of a 4hr carve while I'm looking the other way. Oh, and by the way, if anyone wants to be friends and send me any free parts, we can be great pals!

AskBud
12-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys, anybody know of a diagram anywhere? I'm like Al, I'd like to take it apart and see what the problem is and if it can be fixed permanently, I don't want the chuck to wobble at the end of a 4hr carve while I'm looking the other way. Oh, and by the way, if anyone wants to be friends and send me any free parts, we can be great pals!
My guess is that the spindle, on your unit has more problems than just the symptom of the ring coming out. The bearings, and spindle, are probably shot as well. Think of all the stress of usage while you still had the QC in place (that is where the problem started).

You should be able to get a replacement, from LHR, (not a rebuilt/used one).
Just be sure to ask for one with no chuck.
AskBud

badger2424
12-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Called LHR, actually called a tolerance ring, they will sell a used rebuilt one for $100-new one for $125, or a carve tight for $99 with all rebates and discounts. Problem is I have the rock and would have to buy the 1/6 and 1/8 cutting bits to replace the ones I have now- another $80 some dollars. Anyone tried both and know which is the better deal?

AskBud
12-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Called LHR, actually called a tolerance ring, they will sell a used rebuilt one for $100-new one for $125, or a carve tight for $99 with all rebates and discounts. Problem is I have the rock and would have to buy the 1/6 and 1/8 cutting bits to replace the ones I have now- another $80 some dollars. Anyone tried both and know which is the better deal?
I would not want a rebuilt one!
Both the Rock chuck and the carve Tight Assembly are good. It's just how you wish to spread your cash.
You could sell your Carving and cut-out bits, and the Rock, and recover some of your cost (If you opt to go with the Carve Tight).
Either way, you'll be in much better shape with a "New" unit.
AskBud

badger2424
12-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Thanks Bud, yea, already figured that on the rebuilt one. Thanks everyone for their imput.

jaroot
12-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Mine fell out twice. The first time I sent it back to LHR for repair which they did quickly and gratis. But soon after I got it back in the machine it fell out again. Rather than send it back in and be down for another couple of weeks I put it back in myself and then took a punch and dimpled the housing at a couple of spots and never had another problem with it. I've since replaced it with a carvetight so I'm not sure how long my fix would have worked.

badger2424
12-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Tks jroot, went ahead and ordered the carve tight, but I had 82% done on a carve I was attempting so pushed the ring up as tight as I could get it to where the rock wouldn't jiggle any and watched like she was taking a shower, and it went fine. I broke a 1/8 cutting bit on a screw on the sled which I forgot was at .35 and set for .5 instead of .25, (the reason I went ahead and ordered the carve tight because I had to buy another 1/8 cutting bit-discount means alot, another $2.00 off with discount, ends first of the month-money seems to come hard these days), after the carve was done I ordered the carve tight but what makes the blood boil is after I ordered the carve tight and all the necessities, I noticed the ring had went back up into the recess were it was suppose to be. Might last another 100 yrs or 2 minutes. Any suggestions on whether to keep the old truck or send it back for $40? Will the pieces interchange? Thanks guys!!

AskBud
12-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Tks jroot, went ahead and ordered the carve tight, but I had 82% done on a carve I was attempting so pushed the ring up as tight as I could get it to where the rock wouldn't jiggle any and watched like she was taking a shower, and it went fine. I broke a 1/8 cutting bit on a screw on the sled which I forgot was at .35 and set for .5 instead of .25, (the reason I went ahead and ordered the carve tight because I had to buy another 1/8 cutting bit-discount means alot, another $2.00 off with discount, ends first of the month-money seems to come hard these days), after the carve was done I ordered the carve tight but what makes the blood boil is after I ordered the carve tight and all the necessities, I noticed the ring had went back up into the recess were it was suppose to be. Might last another 100 yrs or 2 minutes. Any suggestions on whether to keep the old truck or send it back for $40? Will the pieces interchange? Thanks guys!!
Take the $40.00 refund!
AskBud

badger2424
12-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Tks Bud, didn't know if anything was interchangeable or not. Happy New Year!!!!!